[Solved] AR9285 (Asus EEE 1008HA) and Snow Leopard

Serkan

45 posts in this topic

Is anyone interested in getting AR9285 to work? The device has Vendor ID 168c and Device ID 002b, which could be similar to the AR9280 (Device ID 002a), which is supported natively as an Airport Card in Snow Leopard without any kexts or modding. So in theory one should be able to change 168c,2a with 168c,2b in /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirPortAtheros.kext/Contents/Info.plist together with some other changes that refers to the AR9280.

I've tried only changing the Info.plist which lasted in a message during boot-up about failing to start a few Airport kexts. I did not get this message before so I think the change was a good start.

Can we try to crack down on this card and save ourselves the warranty void path?

The exact error is:

start [/sourceCache/AirportDriverAtheros5424/AirportDriverAtheros5424-411.19.4/src/common/lmac/ath_dev/darwin/AtherosController.cpp:1149] load failed

any c++ guys out there who can look into this one?

• 2 weeks later...

I have an AR9285 (hp mini 110) and am also looking for a solution. Editing the Info.plist also did not work for me, and I have found slim results otherwise regarding this. I think we're going to be pioneering this thing ourselves unless the 002a can be modified like you said.

Keep it going! Can someone who has an idea about this chime in?

EDIT: This is in regards to Snow Leopard :)

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Does this work with 10.5.2? If not, could someone please convert it so it does?

Kind regards.

no sorry it's only compatible with 10.6.x distros

i will try to get a fully working kext for 10.5.x distros

i've tested this one in 10.5.8 and the result was kernel panic...

best regards

I installed the new kext from kexts.com and I was really excited to see a new icon on the top right of the menu. Unfortunately I can't connect to anything, it automatically assigns me a 169.* IP. The device shows up as an Ethernet card in airport settings. For those who got it to work, any tips? Does yours show up as Ethernet?

Edit: A little bit more details.. I'm running 10.6.4 imaged from VMware (my dual layer burner in this VAIO kept throwing up errors so, 10 DL DVDs later, I improvised). I have a VAIO VPCCW21FX with the Atheros AR9285 card. Everything working except for hardware acceleration and the WiFi.

thats very simple.. in vmware you've got the network shared in windows and mac... so you will not get the icon of the wifi... you will have in the preferences panel>network the icon of the vmware network conenction and not the wifi...

if you want the icon of wifi just download like me the single layer retail version of snow leopard in thepiratebay...

hope this helps

best regards

I would much appreciate it if you could get it working for 10.5.x. ^_^

im not sure but you can try this...

go upgrading your 10.5.x distros like this

install 10.5.3 and install the kext... if you get kernel panic just enter in mac via single user mode and remove the kext

upgrade to 10.5.4 and do the same... once you reach the 10.5.8 and get kernel panic try to install snow leopard single layer dvd retail instalation... it's much easier than get the fully working kext to 10.5.x distros...

with that laptop you should have no problems in running 10.6.x... just download iAtkos S3 V2 10.6.3 ;)

best regard my friend