ATI Radeon HD 4650 - any support QE/CI?

smvalera

123 posts in this topic

Guest sincro77
I *FINALLY* got my 4650 card working - QE/CI, resolution change, DVI/HDMI out... (well, only 1 port, but still!)

Hope this helps somebody else:

I added the card id (9498) to 4600Controller and X2000 - but the real trick was changing the framebuffer....

I used the current trunk of Chameleon, and changed the framebuffer to Flicker:

{ 0x10029498, "Flicker"}

"MotMot" *kinda* worked - but I had to have 2 monitors plugged in, one to each DVI port, and even then only ONE worked, and no QE/CI....

I attached my boot file - don't forget GraphicsEnabler = Y

-tronax

This card has been totally solved. :) ) sincro77****

see post # 111.. cheers everybody..im using lion 10.7....yeehaw....uh huh uh huh !!!!

Guest sincro77

I couldnt say for sure..

my card is 1024 mb dual dvi and svid..

basically you just sudo re-edit the x2000 and radeon4600 kext info plist (desktop edit)

to add your particular devide and vendor id.. install..repair perms.. reboot.

use correct settings in boot.plist. ( graphics enabler =yes)

use chameleon rc5 629 and it will boot dual screens with eulemur FB.

other distros gave me Peregrine and Motmot or wouldnt work with chamrc5629 so i installed iatkos

10.6.3 and updated to 10.6.6. (AMD users DoNT update to 10.6.7yet..)we need a new kernel first)

this card is solved on my end. I hope your 512 works similarly.

cheers

sincro77

**update**

I have Lion osx 10.7 fully working now. Everything working including wireless on an ASUS p5wdh deluxe. 1 thing.. except it sees my 4 gig ram as 2 in activity monitor. but 4 in profiler....????

I have not tryed it yet due to i got a different video card but im thinking about building a second computer and using my ati 4650 512mb so sincro77 will your fix work on my card as well or just the 1gig version

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE....somebody help me plz....i'm banging my head against my dell inspiron N5010 laptop having 1GB ATI 550v GPU....which is known to be based on 4650 but slightly underclocked....i cant get this f**kin' card work...all im getting is just 1024x768 resolution.....cant even change the f**kin resolution...!!!!

PLEASE HELP...!!!

can somebody simplify the methods used by 'mucha' and 'bcc9'....?? I really dotn understand their posts...!!

N5010

core i5 480M

4gb 1333Mhz ram

ati 550v 1gb gpu

my device ID is 0x9480 and vendor ID is 0x1002

• 3 weeks later...

I have a dual dvi 4650 1Gb with zonalis framebuffer. It works well in span mode. I used r629 which changed the framebuffer to eulemur and only had 1 working screen and 1 screen with multicolored noise. I put the original FB back, but as before, 2 working screen and returns from sleep with 1 monitor only. Any thoughts how to return from sleep with 2 monitors? I am running this on a asus p7p55d-e pro.

Guest sincro77

For a while i had OCD about my hackitosh.. i had to have everything perfect.. i was insane.

Now....(lol)..

i realize that on a Desktop having sleep enabled ..might be nice.. but its not necessary.

From my experience and my opinion.::::(

I have several hackintoshes... and played with getting sleep to work on many different boxes.

SOME worked OTB with leopard but not snowleo .. or vice versa or didnt work after an update(s)..

Some worked perfectly.. resuming from keyboard and mouse ..others from power button.

There are a few stages of sleep: hibernate :deep sleep etc etc..(side note)

ALL IN ALL> i decided not to care about SLEEPenabling...

I just wanna use my computer nowdays .lol ( wink)

To answer your question:

ati sleep: On my main box ( with the radeon 4650 ) Dvi port 1 did not re:wake up . no good.

Dvi port 2 did though : so its something surely "fixable:

if some guru programmer wants to address the 4600 controller.kext :

or what ever kext correlates to the sleep -wake cycle. i assume this...

love to hear if it ever gets solved..if not .... whoooptydoo. screw sleep.

my 2 cents

sincro77

I have a dual dvi 4650 1Gb with zonalis framebuffer. It works well in span mode. I used r629 which changed the framebuffer to eulemur and only had 1 working screen and 1 screen with multicolored noise. I put the original FB back, but as before, 2 working screen and returns from sleep with 1 monitor only. Any thoughts how to return from sleep with 2 monitors? I am running this on a asus p7p55d-e pro.

Hey sincro77,

I use your HD4650 files you provided some posts before.

Everything works fine, except that the display (or maybe gfx card?) does not wake up after the computer gone to sleep or the monitor was in powersafe mode.

Is this a bug in the patched driver or dsdt related problem? Any idea?

Thanks.

EDIT: The screen also remains black if I change the screen resolution from 1920x1080 to another. So it's not power management related I guess.

I am cool with it too. I didn't know if I had just overlooked something easy or obvious. Thanks for all the info that you provided, it allowed me to get it working really well. :(

For a while i had OCD about my hackitosh.. i had to have everything perfect.. i was insane.

Now....(lol)..

i realize that on a Desktop having sleep enabled ..might be nice.. but its not necessary.

From my experience and my opinion.::: :)

I have several hackintoshes... and played with getting sleep to work on many different boxes.

SOME worked OTB with leopard but not snowleo .. or vice versa or didnt work after an update(s)..

Some worked perfectly.. resuming from keyboard and mouse ..others from power button.

There are a few stages of sleep: hibernate :deep sleep etc etc..(side note)

ALL IN ALL> i decided not to care about SLEEPenabling...

I just wanna use my computer nowdays .lol ( wink)

To answer your question:

ati sleep: On my main box ( with the radeon 4650 ) Dvi port 1 did not re:wake up . no good.

Dvi port 2 did though : so its something surely "fixable:

if some guru programmer wants to address the 4600 controller.kext :

or what ever kext correlates to the sleep -wake cycle. i assume this...

love to hear if it ever gets solved..if not .... whoooptydoo. screw sleep.

my 2 cents

sincro77

Guest sincro77

cheers everybody. :D

I am cool with it too. I didn't know if I had just overlooked something easy or obvious. Thanks for all the info that you provided, it allowed me to get it working really well. :)

hey how did you use zonalis ?

ive never used it..

ive never edited ati.c and recomppiled "boot ...oh well . its working well

its a cool hobby and you get to really learn alot. it takes patience and being resourceful.. alot of reading and trial and error but in the end its totally worth the effort we put in. :(

cheers everybody. :D

• 1 month later...

Anybody using the 4650 -- 10.6.8 updates the ATI drivers, so if you added your device ID to ATI4600Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext to get QE/CI, you'll have to re-edit those files and re-build your kextcache.

After reboot, my card (dev id 9498) is working great again.

• 4 weeks later...

hi I'm kind of new here. I want to enable qe ci on hd 4650, and I have tried several ways, such as from sincro77, errandwolfe & Svenmike

I just get a blank screen after the apple logo, after updating ATI4600Controllerand ATIRadeonX2000.

I am using 10.6.6 hazard, PowerColor 4650 512, Chameleon RC5, I would still use vga connector and I do not have a converter dvi2vga

thanks for the help

• 4 weeks later...

...hi...HIS4670 IceQ 1GB DDR3 AGP(device id:9495 vendor id:1002) like the other agp poster....having issues here...i can reach desktop only if ATI4600Controller.kext doesn't load(no QE no res change no gfx acceleration)

(added id to this kext and ATIx2000.kext) output ports from motherboard out are DVI-VGA-HDMI...

...different boot files tried/failed....ATY_Init.kext...EVoEnabler.kext...even ATIinject.kext...some combos of these resulted in black screen but active system...others give me light pink or white screen with vertical black lines....some just lock me up. Using 10.6.8 with Legacy_kernel modded by AndyV...smbios file for IMac11.1...also have a smbios file for macPro 3.1(this one does not invoke AppleGraphicsPowerManagement)on a P4P8X ASUS M/B(Prescott CPU) 8x AGP...hmmm...been from here to netkas to tonymacs to infinitemacos....not one working AGP Radeon HD4670...hoping to be the first...any hints?...leave them here....i'm off to read some more....

PS: i've had some success with 10.6.8 and video cards(x1600Pro AGP, x1650Pro AGP, and even a {censored} EVGA PCI 9400GT ...i'm no quitter... :P

post-11772-1313690238_thumb.png

• 4 months later...
Guest sincro77

Havent been here in a while:

:)

-- robertx--

if i remember correctly- it took a little while to get everything the way I wanted..

but i persevered -until I had the right bootloader and driver combination.

also important were: what distro and what framebuffer was being used....

When i ran hazard SL with chameleon rc2 431 it seemed that for some reason it only would use the " peregrine" framebuffer -

- then I was advised to use Chameleon rc5 629 by svenmike and errandwolfe...but Hazard wouldnt boot for me. .grr. some KPanic.... :(>>>

So-- I switched to Iatkosv7 SL .. (the best distro imo) and the right chameleon version (rc5 629) and finally -

osx started using "Eulemer" FrameBuffer // (advice for noobs: the nvidia card was much easier ).

(i was switching to my 8500gt every time i wanted to use dual screens in osx .)

I had got qe ci..working with hazard etc. but never got dual screens (span) until I had all the right parts working together.

Dual screen full accerlation etc.

the recipe that worked for my 4650 hd - dvi-dvi 1gigddr2 (94981002)- if i remember right..

1 - Iatkosv7 SL. :) - most important.

2 a- atisupport.kext.- it identifies the card in sys profiler

b - ati4600.kext. (edit your id.) - this allows resolution switching

c - x2000 and plugins- (edit your id in x2000)... these enable full qe ci.

3- chameleon version rc5629 Loader :) --has pin sensing and rom detection ? .

Should have all screens attached before you power on the pc.!!

you will see it say "Slot1" during verbose. and it find uses ati.fb- "eulemer" :)in sys profiler with iAtkos.

now in "display options" the center arrangement tab is present..!!! Dual screeeeeenz .! Detect" tab etc. hooray.!

Sleep is not working on wake with dvi. :( ( vga single screen might be fine.. test yourself....

An easy way to get graphical chameleon boot :

install chameleon rc2 431 and then after just replace the "boot file in root with this one below..you may have to show hidden files to do that

. if the partitions not active try cham1.011 first -

it will run a script for that. or else use fdisk.. fdisk -e /dev/rdiskXsX where x is your disk and part #.. and then f X to flag ACTIVE.

then "write".. a reboot may be required y/n? y enter. reboot. this is called "blessing the partition".

* Always install kext with kexthelper and then use kextutility to repair.

use osx86tools to do it all at once.. perms, ext perms, caches and touch.

reboot with -f -v to doubly guarantee that cache is flushed.

-x flag will disable accelleration for that session (safe).

try terminal commands:

sudo su

enter - password.

then..

sudo chown root:admin /

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

sudo kextcache -system-caches

youll find your booting quicker too after that.

I know: because i have tested these methods on my various systems, clones/dummy drives and different motherboards.

ResSwitchX is a useful App for res-switching out to large screens.

Ive used it and manually created correct settings/timings.

It wasnt too hard.... Sometimes a reboot is required to add "Active resolutions" you created.

hope this information helps

cheers!

post-627782-0-07598200-1328548253_thumb.png

post-627782-0-73287600-1328548278_thumb.png

post-627782-0-19287200-1328548775_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest sincro77

do you have "Graphics Enabler=Yes as a flag? or

<key>GraphicsEnabler<key/>

<string>y<string/>

in your com.boot.plist files....??? you SHOULD!

library/systemconfiguration/com.boot.plist .. and also - /extra/com.boot.plist.

maybe thats why.....?

to the OP- you may be active on dvi1 but your using vga port 2.. try a connector.or try different boot files

heres the boot file i have been using.. attached.

* i have dvi on port1 (closer to mobo) -using dvi. true digital to dvi/LCD @1680x1050@60hz

and dvi with a vga converter on port 2 (further from mother board) going to Analog vga/LCD @1280x1024@75hz

- i have also used port 2 out to 1980x1020@60hz over vga to HD tv. I used ResSwitchX.. (that was niiice:)

I never tried HDMI (yet).... I would like to know more about HDMI and osx with the Radeon HD 4650 if anyone has info to share.. thanks

always here to help...>:)

boot.zip

• 4 years later...