Lan IOMACAddress to IOPlatformUUID String

np_

32 posts in this topic

for anyone who need real IOPlatformUUID string

i just created smoll app does this for you, using your IOMacAddress ( if present )

The string that your app generates is different from the UUID of the boot device. Apologies for my ignorance, but

a. Should it be so?

b. Why would one prefer this UUID over the boot device UUID or are they equivalent.

c. If I use a kext to inject the UUID, how is it different from using the smbios.plist to inject it?

d. In Leopard, the UUID contained the macid for the ethernet, is it necessary to do the same in SL and, if so, how can it be done

Thank you in advance.

• 1 month later...
for anyone who need real IOPlatformUUID string

i just created smoll app does this for you, using your IOMacAddress ( if present )

just copy PlatformUUID and paste ( you know where )

have a fun.

ps: there is no "license" for this app means you are allowed to sell , re-package , distribute, claim that you wrote it - anything you like

np_

MacToPlatformUUID.zip

update ( forget to remove a test inside, sorry now is ok )

Like a couple of posts here, I get IOMacAddress Error. Does anybody have an idea why?

I get the error here, as well.

The string that your app generates is different from the UUID of the boot device. Apologies for my ignorance, but

a. Should it be so?

b. Why would one prefer this UUID over the boot device UUID or are they equivalent.

c. If I use a kext to inject the UUID, how is it different from using the smbios.plist to inject it?

d. In Leopard, the UUID contained the macid for the ethernet, is it necessary to do the same in SL and, if so, how can it be done

Thank you in advance.

The UUID of the boot device is simply used to identify the boot device (i.e. identify the boot volume on a EFI boot system). The UUID mentioned in this thread is the platform or hardware UUID that's used to identify your 'Mac.' Software (i.e. iTunes) will use this to determine that it is running on the same hardware (Mac system). In this case, you certainly don't want to use the drive UUID, as running iTunes on another hard drive is not the problem - it's running it on another Mac.

So, yes, the two UUIDs are different and are used for different purposes. One for IDing the drive, the other for IDing the Mac itself.

As for using the kext, instead of the smbios.plist, most use the kext, because the smbios.plist is not working for them. In my case, having the UUID in the smbios.plist does nothing. But, I do keep it in the smbios.plist as a reference to keep the injectors updated to the proper (same) UUID. Plus, I find it easier to see and edit in the smbios.plist than in the kexts.

regards,

MAJ

• 2 months later...

The GetMacAddress problem is also described here by semthex http://web.archive.org/web/20071225063551/...ticle&id=22 (source: http://www.hackint0sh.org/f40/1091.htm and http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=366421)

I think it can be fixed by recompiling parts of IONetworkingfamily.kext.

But the kext already provided in the thread seem to be outdated and don't support the Apple Ethernet Adapter.

-> One should patch (means recompiling with Xcode) the IONetworkingfamily.kext according to semthex instructions to make Timemachine working again.

http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/ION...ingFamily-47.3/

An alternative would be updating to Snow Leopard (Did anyone else have this problem?)

This code apply to you perfect:

Name (BRN, Zero)
       Name (GGL, One)
       Method (N00B, 0, NotSerialized)
       {
           If (LNotEqual (BRN, Zero))
           {
               Return (GGL)
           }
           Else
           {
               Return (Zero)
           }
       }

Method (RTFM, 0, NotSerialized)
       {
           If (LGreater (BRN, Zero))
           {
               Return (One)
           }
           Else
           {
               Return (Zero)
           }
       }

Method (STFU, 0, NotSerialized)
       {
           If (LEqual (BRN, Zero))
           {
               Return (One)
           }
           Else
           {
               Return (Zero)
           }
       }

In case you still don't get what does that code:

BRN=brain

GGL=google

Lemme know if I have to explain the rest of the code...

rotfl.gif

Is this possible to do without an ethernet card installed? I'm asking since it(the UUID) seems to be bound to eth0. My netbook, HP Mini 110-1000 CTO, doesn't currently have a working kext for the ethernet card which deems it unusable. However, I do have a working wireless card. Is it possible to do this with that instead? Also, I don't seem to have an smbios.plist, or a PlatformUUID.kext or a UUID.kext. I've tried just downloading and running the app and inserting the generated UUID into the PlatformUUID.kext provided by another poster in this topic, but after doing this, I met the swift embrace of a kernel panic.

Please understand that I'm new to all of this and spare me some of your patience. I'm not a complete imbecile, however, which affords me the rare ability to follow instructions!

Edit: SOLVED

I had to go to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete all the network related plists including preferences.plist and reboot to set my wifi card as eth0. After doing that, I was able to simply follow your instructions. :)