Gigabyte Ga-eg45m-ud2h Update working 10.6.2

tinush

137 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

I have great news and bad news.

Your method worked! It was a success on installing. BUT i don't seem to be able to boot it. What should I do?

Hi, I am having a lot of trouble installing with the EG-45M board (same as yours)

is there a way you can guide me step by step? I can pay you through paypal if it's possible with you.

Any help will be appreciated!

hi there,

what are your problems?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189914

T

Thank you so much for your respond! I truly appreciate it.

Before I read your guide, I had this problem (see picture below)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/2Loc/DSC00001.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/2Loc/DSC00005.jpg

I read your guide but I don't know where to begin, you think you can point it out for me? I really do appreciate it if you can help. I would like to offer some money for your help. Please accept my offer.

kernel panic with ide jmicron, check Post #22 bios setting's

T

can you please give more info on your system, can i presume that your hardware is exactly the same?

did you use the pc-efi boot pack or on the bootthink bootloader

there are more then 100 reasons why your system won't boot

try booting with -x or -s

T

Thank you for your reply.

My specs:

MB:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128390 GA-EG45M-UD2H LGA 775 Intel G45 Micro ATX Intel

CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz LGA 775

Memory: 4GB DDR2 SDRAM

Video: Radeon HD 4870

I don't exactly know where to begin. You're my only hope.

Thank you so much for everything.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115131

i cannot help you if you don't give me all information....

My files are for the complete system and will only work/boot with these spec's (dsdt for cpu e8500 and nvidia card only) as you can see in the first post.

You can only boot with -x (safe mode) because there isn't any Ati kext/dsdt function

Before you use any of the provided dsdt you have to remove or edit the speedstep/cpu/p-states info, you could damage your cpu if you use the wrong one

So look for the right ati kext and remove the nvidia part from the dsdt

Check the Speedstep topic for the right info regarding the p-states for your cpu

T.

Hi everyone,

I have a problem installing LS. To whomever can fix my problem, I am willing to pay. Please take my words.

I have tried changing the hard drive from BIOS which got through the installation but have these errors while booting MACOSX (see pictures before)

Here are my specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 (Instruction: MMX, SSE (1,2,3, 3S, 4.1), EM64T, VT-X

Mainboard: Gigabyte EG45M-UD2H

Graphic: Radeon HD 4870

Here are the pictures that I get trying to boot OSX (It would switch different errors every time i retry)

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

Hi everyone,

I have a problem installing LS. To whomever can fix my problem, I am willing to pay. Please take my words.

I have tried changing the hard drive from BIOS which got through the installation but have these errors while booting MACOSX (see pictures before)

Here are my specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 (Instruction: MMX, SSE (1,2,3, 3S, 4.1), EM64T, VT-X

Mainboard: Gigabyte EG45M-UD2H

Graphic: Radeon HD 4870

Here are the pictures that I get trying to boot OSX (It would switch different errors every time i retry)

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

looks like a Ati kernel panic..

Boot in safe mode and get the correct Ati kext for your Card

T.

btw, you can also try Netkas Pc-efi 10.6 with graphics enabled in com.apple.Boot.plist

looks like it can support Ati card's

Hi Thijmus, Thanks for your respond.

I'm new to this so is it possible if you can lead me to the com.apple.Boot.plist and what to do from there? and How I get a ATI kext?

I'm sorry but i do not have the time to explain all this

You can look in the ati driver section

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showforum=174

For Netkas Pc-efi 10.6 goto (new bootloader with ati support)

http://netkas.org/

Speedstep

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181631

com.apple.boot.plist > see pic

T

btw there is a simple solution for all this... sell your ati and get a 9600gt/8800gt/9800gt/gts250 nvidia card

post-157612-1267201393_thumb.png

Sorry..

But may I atleast know how to do this?

1. Partition the 8gb usb flashdrive to guid?

I'm on windows 7..

How did you get it to boot/installed the first time? if you don't understand part 1 of the guide!

How can i know you are on windows?

You need a mac to perform the the first 3 parts of the guide

T.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all!

My girlfriend bought an iMac and im so fond of macOS that i decided to start my struggle for a osx86 :) I know nothing of kexts or dsdts but i haven't found a "n00b introduction to osx86" anywhere :) Anyways.. My problem occurs even before i would have to do any fiddling.. During the installation at about 20 percent or less the screen dimms and there comes up a message saying i have to restart the computer by holding the power button.. Which i did ofcourse but everytime i run the installer, it says the same thing. I tried the pc-efi bootloader method.

I have the same board as the threadstarter, 2x 2gb ram, sata hdd, ide dvd-rom drive (might this be the problem? read about >3gig ram being a problem with ide drives but i thought they'd mean hard drives) pentium 4 E5400 and a NVIDIA Geforce 8600GTS 512MB.

I would really appreciate it if somebody could help me out. If you need more info, say so and i'll try to dig it out for you :)

EDIT: It isn't the dvd-drive. Unplugged it, ran installer again, still having the same problem..

Hey all!

My girlfriend bought an iMac and im so fond of macOS that i decided to start my struggle for a osx86 :P I know nothing of kexts or dsdts but i haven't found a "n00b introduction to osx86" anywhere :D Anyways.. My problem occurs even before i would have to do any fiddling.. During the installation at about 20 percent or less the screen dimms and there comes up a message saying i have to restart the computer by holding the power button.. Which i did ofcourse but everytime i run the installer, it says the same thing. I tried the pc-efi bootloader method.

I have the same board as the threadstarter, 2x 2gb ram, sata hdd, ide dvd-rom drive (might this be the problem? read about >3gig ram being a problem with ide drives but i thought they'd mean hard drives) pentium 4 E5400 and a NVIDIA Geforce 8600GTS 512MB.

I would really appreciate it if somebody could help me out. If you need more info, say so and i'll try to dig it out for you :)

EDIT: It isn't the dvd-drive. Unplugged it, ran installer again, still having the same problem..

sorry mate no ide support

Get a 8gb flashdrive, go to your girlfriend's mac and restore the snow dvd to the flashdrive, run pack (select to flashdrive) and your good to go

Don't forget to disable the ide part in de bios or you get a kp

T.

btw because of audio we are still on x32, going to wait with patching after the release of 10.6.3

Thanks mate! Disabling the IDE controller from bios was the key.

Snow leopard installed fine. Now I somehow screwed It up again though.

I was so fascinated about my working mac os that I went and updated everything apple suggested :P probably including the .2 update? Anyhow, after a restart (didn't install bootthink yet so through the installation stick) I had a blank screen.. Or rather no screen at all since my monitor said no signal). Then I rushed into just reinstalling but now it gets a panic everytime I try installing.. I didn't change any bios options I think. I even loaded fail safe defaults and changed them to look like this:

MB Intelligent tweaker -> no change

Standard CMOS features

Every IDE channel is [none]

Drive A [none]

Floppy 3 mode support [disabled]

Halt on [all , but keyboard]

Advanced BIOS Features

Blabla

HDD smart capability [enabled]

Limit CPUID Max to 3 [disabled]

No-Execute Memory Protect [enabled]

CPU Enhanched Halt (C1E) [enabled]

C2/C2E State Support [disabled]

X C4/C4E State Support [disabled]

CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) [enabled]

CPU EIST Function [enabled]

Delay for HDD (secs) [0]

Full screen LOGO Show [enabled]

Backup BIOS Image to HDD [Enabled]

Advanced Chipset Features

Onboard VGA [Enable If No Ext PEG]

Init Display First [PCI]

Integrated Peripherals

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode [AHCI]

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode [Disabled]

Azalia Codec [Auto]

Onboard H/W 1394 [Enabled]

Onboard H/W Lan [Enabled]

Green LAN [disabled]

Smart Lan no changes

Onboard LAN boot rom [disabled]

Onboard IDE controller [Disabled]

Onboard serial port 1 [3F8/IRQ4]

Onboard Parallel Port [378/IRQ7]

Parallel Port Mode [sPP]

USB 1.0 controller [enabled]

USB 2.0 controller [enabled]

USB Keyboard Function [Disabled]

USB Mouse Function [Disabled]

USB Storage Function [enabled]

Power Management Setup

ACPI Suspend Type [s3(STR)]

Soft-off by PWR-BTTN [instant-Off]

PME Event Wake Up [Enabled]

Power On by Ring [Enabled]

Resume by Alarm [Disabled]

HPET Support [Enabled]

HPET Mode [32-bit mode]

Power On By Mouse [Disabled]

Power On By Keyboard [Disabled]

AC Back Function [soft-Off]

PnP/PCI Configurations

PCI1 IRQ Assignment [Auto]

PCI2 IRQ Assignment [Auto]

I really hope you can help me out here.. I was so close! :)

Thanks mate! Disabling the IDE controller from bios was the key.

Snow leopard installed fine. Now I somehow screwed It up again though.

I was so fascinated about my working mac os that I went and updated everything apple suggested :P probably including the .2 update? Anyhow, after a restart (didn't install bootthink yet so through the installation stick) I had a blank screen.. Or rather no screen at all since my monitor said no signal). Then I rushed into just reinstalling but now it gets a panic everytime I try installing.. I didn't change any bios options I think. I even loaded fail safe defaults and changed them to look like this:

MB Intelligent tweaker -> no change

Standard CMOS features

Every IDE channel is [none]

Drive A [none]

Floppy 3 mode support [disabled]

Halt on [all , but keyboard]

Advanced BIOS Features

Blabla

HDD smart capability [enabled]

Limit CPUID Max to 3 [disabled]

No-Execute Memory Protect [enabled]

CPU Enhanched Halt (C1E) [enabled]

C2/C2E State Support [disabled]

X C4/C4E State Support [disabled]

CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) [enabled]

CPU EIST Function [enabled]

Delay for HDD (secs) [0]

Full screen LOGO Show [enabled]

Backup BIOS Image to HDD [Enabled]

Advanced Chipset Features

Onboard VGA [Enable If No Ext PEG]

Init Display First [PCI]

Integrated Peripherals

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode [AHCI]

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode [Disabled]

Azalia Codec [Auto]

Onboard H/W 1394 [Enabled]

Onboard H/W Lan [Enabled]

Green LAN [disabled]

Smart Lan no changes

Onboard LAN boot rom [disabled]

Onboard IDE controller [Disabled]

Parallel Port Mode [sPP]

USB 1.0 controller [enabled]

USB 2.0 controller [enabled]

USB Storage Function [enabled]

Power Management Setup

ACPI Suspend Type [s3(STR)]

Soft-off by PWR-BTTN [instant-Off]

PME Event Wake Up [Enabled]

Resume by Alarm [Disabled]

HPET Support [Enabled]

HPET Mode [32-bit mode]

Power On By Mouse [Disabled]

Power On By Keyboard [Disabled]

AC Back Function [soft-Off]

PnP/PCI Configurations

PCI1 IRQ Assignment [Auto]

PCI2 IRQ Assignment [Auto]

I really hope you can help me out here.. I was so close! :thumbsdown_anim:

these should be enabled

set to disabled

Parallel Port Mode [sPP]

set to 64-bit

HPET Mode [32-bit mode]

is your video connected with dvi?

if you see the first bootthink screen (showing the hd's ) press F8 then you can get boot options

type -v to show where the system hangs

updating to 10.6.2 should not be a problem

T.

btw if it all works where going to get vanilla speedstep working

Yess! Thank you so much. I've got my screen connected with hdmi. I'm a bit confused though.. Snow leopard installed fine and all and I can boot into the system with the bootloader on the USB drive (I used the first method of your guide pc-efi or so).. Now where excactly do I copy the uuid info to? Don't I have to install some bootloader to the hdd first? Bootthink? If so can you tell me were to get it cause it's really hard to find or so it seems.. There's v 2.4.6 out which can boot ubuntu 9.10 too.. But i can't find a single downloadlink..

Yess! Thank you so much. I've got my screen connected with hdmi. I'm a bit confused though.. Snow leopard installed fine and all and I can boot into the system with the bootloader on the USB drive (I used the first method of your guide pc-efi or so).. Now where excactly do I copy the uuid info to? Don't I have to install some bootloader to the hdd first? Bootthink? If so can you tell me were to get it cause it's really hard to find or so it seems.. There's v 2.4.6 out which can boot ubuntu 9.10 too.. But i can't find a single downloadlink..

don't use bootthink 2.4.6, get 2.3.18.

Install that to the hd copy all files.

edit smbios.plist (open with textedit) you see the line for the uuid info

edit PlatformUUID.kext click right mouse butt. > show pack contents > open info.plist with textedit etc.

or you can install the pack again but now to the Hd

T

download bootthink 2.3.18

http://www.kexts.com/view/145-bootthink.html

don't forget to delete the extensions.mkext it creates in the sl folder

Hey,

maybe I'm just a bit of a nobrainer but could you tell me where to copy what files..? Do you mean the ones from the gb-...-udh2_files_only.zip or so into /Darwin ? I'm sorry i'm such a pain.. :dev: I reverted to the pc-efi method to hdd and that worked too. BUT again after I updated to .2 I lost my hdmi signal again.. Might be a panic too I don't know.. Maybe I'm missing something important. Maybe I need to install the bootloader after the update but before restarting? Or is it because I'm using a downloaded "untouched" copy of snow leopard? Please don't crucify me now, I just didn't want to pay for something that might not work in the first place. I will buy it if I get this to work properly. No question about it. Hmm many questions again. Thank you for your patience!

Ps.: The kernel panic at install repeated itself again now and it seems that I have to install another os (ubuntu) first, then override that with the snow leopard. Really weird but works.

I have almost the same build, it has been working perfectly for months. (Lan, WIFI, sound, all USB, firewire ect.) I have been trying to add an ELO touchscreen to it. I get video, but the touch won't work. I have a macbook, and access to a MAC pro at work, and it works fine on those, so I know it's not a problem with snow leopard.

It shows up in my system profiler, but it won't let me control it through the USB port. Anyone have any ideas?

ps. I have tried all my USB ports, other usb devices work fine in all of them except the touchscreen.

Hey,

maybe I'm just a bit of a nobrainer but could you tell me where to copy what files..? Do you mean the ones from the gb-...-udh2_files_only.zip or so into /Darwin ? I'm sorry i'm such a pain.. :) I reverted to the pc-efi method to hdd and that worked too. BUT again after I updated to .2 I lost my hdmi signal again.. Might be a panic too I don't know.. Maybe I'm missing something important. Maybe I need to install the bootloader after the update but before restarting? Or is it because I'm using a downloaded "untouched" copy of snow leopard? Please don't crucify me now, I just didn't want to pay for something that might not work in the first place. I will buy it if I get this to work properly. No question about it. Hmm many questions again. Thank you for your patience!

Ps.: The kernel panic at install repeated itself again now and it seems that I have to install another os (ubuntu) first, then override that with the snow leopard. Really weird but works.

yes sometimes you have to write 1/0 to the hd before a new install (see pic)

try replacing com.apple.boot.plist (open with text edit for screen resolution)

removed nvidia/cpu part from dsdt and added <key>GraphicsEnabler</key> <yes> to com.apple.boot.plist

Maybe it helps getting rid of the black screen

see first post for files bootthink

added -v verbose mode to com.apple.boot.plis to see whats going on

T

it's a bit difficult to help because i do not have a hdmi connection

I have almost the same build, it has been working perfectly for months. (Lan, WIFI, sound, all USB, firewire ect.) I have been trying to add an ELO touchscreen to it. I get video, but the touch won't work. I have a macbook, and access to a MAC pro at work, and it works fine on those, so I know it's not a problem with snow leopard.

It shows up in my system profiler, but it won't let me control it through the USB port. Anyone have any ideas?

ps. I have tried all my USB ports, other usb devices work fine in all of them except the touchscreen.

can you send me your dsdt.aml?

T

New_dsdt_and_combootplistArchive.zip

post-157612-1268909218_thumb.png

Thank you so much! I've got a visible screen now thanks to you! Unfortunately its just 800x600 and cant Be changed from preferences.. :/ This is kinda weird since the com.apple.Boot.plist says graphics Mode 1680x1050x32..

well yes the pc-efi is a bit old

use showhide app and search and replace/overwrite the attached Boot file could be in darwin not shure

T

Showhide___pc_efi_10.6_.zip

I tried that.. I found the boot file in / so i backed it up and replaced it with the one you attached. (I did all this in terminal). After that i wasn't able to boot at all.. :/ Not even to the bootthink. My pc just kept on restarting.. I also checked with ls -l that the file owner was root and group was wheel and permissions were set to 755. Any idea what may have gone wrong? :/

I tried that.. I found the boot file in / so i backed it up and replaced it with the one you attached. (I did all this in terminal). After that i wasn't able to boot at all.. :/ Not even to the bootthink. My pc just kept on restarting.. I also checked with ls -l that the file owner was root and group was wheel and permissions were set to 755. Any idea what may have gone wrong? :/

can't help you there, have no clue

i'm still testing but it looks like if you replace the boot file on the usb stick with pci-efi it boots fine.

So next time you install it to the usb/hd replace the boot-file in my package before installing.

T

edit; ok also tested with the latest dsdt (removed nvidia part) and with <key>GraphicsEnabler</key> <yes> to com.apple.boot.plist

also this is one of the reasons why i'm still on bootthink, it allows a usb bootloader overwrite in case the bootloader on the hd is screwed.

you can also use a nvidia enabler.kext instead of a bootloader with that function (3 choices dsdt/kext/bootloader)

Maybe there's a missunderstanding here.. Here's what i basically did:

I used the pci-efi for the install. After i was in mac os i installed bootthink to the hard drive and replaced and added the proper files. (into /Darwin) Then i used the files you posted to fix the screen issue to replace the old ones. After that i tried to replace the boot file on /, which didn't work out. But no problem, i restored from timemachine and can try again. :) Now it's back to the point where bootthink isn't installed yet and i would have to boot with the pci-efi on the usb. So should i open the package contents of the bootthink installer and replace boot there? (I don't think there is any though.. but i will check it out if that's what you mean) Or do you always boot from usb with bootthink?? I'm a bit confused.. :)

Thanks again for your help and your patience!

Maybe there's a missunderstanding here.. Here's what i basically did:

I used the pci-efi for the install. After i was in mac os i installed bootthink to the hard drive and replaced and added the proper files. (into /Darwin) Then i used the files you posted to fix the screen issue to replace the old ones. After that i tried to replace the boot file on /, which didn't work out. But no problem, i restored from timemachine and can try again. :) Now it's back to the point where bootthink isn't installed yet and i would have to boot with the pci-efi on the usb. So should i open the package contents of the bootthink installer and replace boot there? (I don't think there is any though.. but i will check it out if that's what you mean) Or do you always boot from usb with bootthink?? I'm a bit confused.. :)

Thanks again for your help and your patience!

yep you need to keep me up to date otherwise we don't understand each other

the boot file was only for pc-efi not for bootthink

if you wanna use bootthink use the old com.apple.boot.plist and get a nvidia enabler.kext for your video card

like nvinject.kext http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/165429070/prepare-yourself

T