Important question: Why no Apple Legal?

stryder

8 posts in this topic

I don't get it. Websites that simply posted photos/videos of OSX running on Sony/Dell laptops were forced to be taken down, yet sites like this one remain operational, allowing the community to share experiences together to get working versions. :)

Anybody have any insight? Apple Legal usually jumps on sites like this one. Or is this the "calm before the storm"? :)

It's basically calm right now, but this is a research board that in theory is supposed to only be developers using their kits how they see fit - which is grey area already. The only reason that I see it alive still is that Apple is either

1. Intrested in our findings

2. Not up in arms about it at this time.

Also the fact the we are not telling anyone directly how to pirate (i.e. links to BT trackers) might have something to do with it, but who knows..

They're not losing any money. Sure, if we pirated stuff it might be illegal, but now the "cat's out of the bag," so to speak. It's easy to stop a few leaking rumors. But Steve doesn't really have any secrets left. He revealed the Intel switch, now everyone knows how to get it running. Once everyone knows, there's no point in stopping the many sites that'll pop up.

It's all good publicity, anyway. Everyone loves OSX, I've seen at least 5 Apple buyers out of this.

Conspiracy theory. They are interested in finding out on what OSX currently runs or doesn't for an eventual release for non-MAC machines. What a better way to get feedback than a beta program?

Of course, this is all just my imagination going wild.

Conspiracy theory. They are interested in finding out on what OSX currently runs or doesn't for an eventual release for non-MAC machines. What a better way to get feedback than a beta program?

Of course, this is all just my imagination going wild.

My personal take: Jobs has a vested interest in folks getting a taste of OS X goodness. This release was incredibly trivial to bypass security (done in 12 hours), I suspect the retail release will be far harder to crack (pentium D w/TPM chip working together), and Jobs now has a *much* larger group interested in and developing apps for his baby. More interest + more programs = more $$ in Stevie's pocket...

So, in the end this appears to be a classic 'win-win scenario.'

• 2 weeks later...
They're not losing any money. Sure, if we pirated stuff it might be illegal, but now the "cat's out of the bag," so to speak. It's easy to stop a few leaking rumors. But Steve doesn't really have any secrets left. He revealed the Intel switch, now everyone knows how to get it running. Once everyone knows, there's no point in stopping the many sites that'll pop up.

It's all good publicity, anyway. Everyone loves OSX, I've seen at least 5 Apple buyers out of this.

I bought a powerbook !

My personal take: Jobs has a vested interest in folks getting a taste of OS X goodness. This release was incredibly trivial to bypass security (done in 12 hours), I suspect the retail release will be far harder to crack (pentium D w/TPM chip working together), and Jobs now has a *much* larger group interested in and developing apps for his baby. More interest + more programs = more $$ in Stevie's pocket...

So, in the end this appears to be a classic 'win-win scenario.'

I have to admit that after using nearly every OS on the planet, and every UI imaginable (I used to compile X11R2 on a Sun 3/50!) - I am totally smitten with OS X. It is really good stuff. I've found myself using XP less and less as a platform to browse the internet and read mail. With Firefox and Thunderbird and all these cool tools on OS X, I've got a very stable platform that just does the job just fine.

My first computer was an Apple II. Shortly thereafter I got sucked into the corporate computing world where IBM, DEC, and Xerox were king. I never had the chance or need to really look closely at anything Mac until "Tiger". It is an awesome GUI! (I like going back to the BSDisms I've missed for so long in Solaris - e.g. ps -ax versus ps -ef)

Frankly, for an unsupported OS, this thing beats the {censored} out of ANY m$ software I've ever used...

Consider me a convert - BIG TIME. I've got my eye on a G5 and a Laptop...

Well, I'm pretty sure that the main reason is that this forum is just about OS X on x86 in general. When we started it, it wasn't about hacking, but just a place to talk about this stuff. Mostly, if anyone, it was for developers at the beginning (since they were the only ones with dev kits!).

While a lot of people have talked about hacking here, that's not the stated purpose of the site!