DDR3 misreading fixed?

swampfox

5 posts in this topic

Does SL now recognize DDR3 1066 and up now? I am running 10.5.7 and it seems like I have no choice but to accept that my ram will always run at ddr2 667. Or is there a fix somewhere and I just didn't catch it?

Memory speed is hardware dependent. The operating system does not control what happens at the physical layer (for the most part). If you are running 1066mhz bus speed then you are running 1066mhz bus speed. Your OS does not care as long as your hardware meets minimum system requirements. This is not limited to OS X, UNIX, Linux or Windows.

The "About this Mac" display of what it thinks you are running seems to be dependent on matching available Mac hardware that is sold from Apple. For instance, my Core i7 920 is not "recognized" by OS X but it's still a Core i7 920, and its running at 3.87ghz because at the physical layer, thats what the clock speed is set to. Similarly the ram speed is 1555 but OS X thinks its 667 or 1066 (cant remember) because it does not match any strings that have been created for Mac hard ware.

Make sense?

Does SL now recognize DDR3 1066 and up now? I am running 10.5.7 and it seems like I have no choice but to accept that my ram will always run at ddr2 667. Or is there a fix somewhere and I just didn't catch it?

Memory speed is hardware dependent. The operating system does not control what happens at the physical layer (for the most part). If you are running 1066mhz bus speed then you are running 1066mhz bus speed. Your OS does not care as long as your hardware meets minimum system requirements. This is not limited to OS X, UNIX, Linux or Windows.

The "About this Mac" display of what it thinks you are running seems to be dependent on matching available Mac hardware that is sold from Apple. For instance, my Core i7 920 is not "recognized" by OS X but it's still a Core i7 920, and its running at 3.87ghz because at the physical layer, thats what the clock speed is set to. Similarly the ram speed is 1555 but OS X thinks its 667 or 1066 (cant remember) because it does not match any strings that have been created for Mac hard ware.

Make sense?

all you have to do is get osx86tools and modify about this mac section......its purley aesthetic

• 2 weeks later...

Make sense?

Makes total sense thanks! So this means that I can basically overclock through the bios the same as if I was running Windows. Fantastic!

I have also been reading about smbios and how you can alter how osx reads your hardware. Is this purely aesthetics or does it serve a higher function?

Look at your OS X box as any other box with any other OS. Other than some some low level utilities (written by hardware vendors), (using special interrupts), you will always control your hardware settings in the BIOS.

Short answer, I believe it to be aesthetic only. Grab a copy of memtestx86, superPI, sisoft sandra, 3dMark etc, running your tests for stability and do a burn in. Once your stable, install OS X (or whatever OS) and move on. Don't worry about your OS X install, the kernel is performing operations as fast as your hardware (set in the BIOS) is allowing it to.

Enjoy your new hardware, I love my P6T!! 100% stable @ 3.87ghz :)