[GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard Install On DX58SO (Core i7) Mobo

Juiceman

239 posts in this topic

I've tried several times to upgrade to 10.6.3, but every time I do i lose my video. the boot process seems to go through fine, but then it just stops at a black screen and a cursor. If anyone knows why this would be and how to get around it I'd appreciate it. Alas, for now I'm sitting at 10.6.0.

Also, has anyone tried optical audio out? It shows up as an option in the sound prefpane, but nothing comes out my speakers when I select it. Just curious.

Thanks all

Everything worked out fine with me!

Except one thing! I have iStat menu installed 8 cores showed up on my menu bar but only 4 of them will show my cpu activity! (which are core 1,3,5,7) so I try to check my cores in Activity Monitor but even worse only 1 core showed up!

Is there anything wrong? Is is a problem with hyper-threading? Is there any fix for this? BTW will speed-step and hyper-threading work on MACs?

User_01 thanks for this awesome guide! :)

My Hardwares are:

DX58SO Mobo

Core i7 930

6Gb DDR3 1333 Mhz RAM

Geforce 9800 GTX+

2 X 500GB SATA

1 X SATA Optical Drive

One last thing, in About This Mac it showed I am using 6Gb of DDR2 800 Mhz RAM! Am I still running on 3 channels DDR3 1333 Mhz? just Snow Leopard couldn't show the right thing?

Thank you so much again!

I've tried several times to upgrade to 10.6.3, but every time I do i lose my video. the boot process seems to go through fine, but then it just stops at a black screen and a cursor. If anyone knows why this would be and how to get around it I'd appreciate it. Alas, for now I'm sitting at 10.6.0.

Also, has anyone tried optical audio out? It shows up as an option in the sound prefpane, but nothing comes out my speakers when I select it. Just curious.

Thanks all

What graphic card are you using? I might be able to help out a bit in this.

I have a ati 4890 which took quite some effort to get up and running in 10.6.3! But after getting tons of kernel panics you end up being a real expert hehe

For everyone getting boot0 error following this guide: install chameleon RC4 before you run the mobo patcher in leopard. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20185

Just use the installer, that worked superb for me.

Furthermore i'm also curious of anyone got the optical out to work in 10.6.3. When i check the system info it tells me that i have no audio hardware installed? Do i need some special kext for this? I've seen some guides about the 889a soundcard but that one is not the same as our 889. Any help or pointer in the right direction to how i should tackle this problem is greatly appreciated!

"One last thing, in About This Mac it showed I am using 6Gb of DDR2 800 Mhz RAM! Am I still running on 3 channels DDR3 1333 Mhz? just Snow Leopard couldn't show the right thing?"

-put this in Extra-

Thank you so much! U saved my day! I am now a happy man! ;)

Try and reinstall the bootloader (try chameleon 2 rc4), and also it's only a partition on the hd or more? Which one is active and what bootloader is installed on it?

to verify and set a partition active on a hd (mac os x)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22844

the easiest one is to just have the stirng/key for graphics enabler in your com.apple.Boot.plist, then the one with generated efi string, then an injector, then making a custom efi string with the right nvcap

tested all for my video card

Install on new HDD for the bootloader as followed the instruction and retry several time with installation but still encounter same fail to boot.

Any specific setting I should follow? already check the new HDD as active, any comment?

"Is there anything wrong? Is is a problem with hyper-threading? Is there any fix for this? BTW will speed-step and hyper-threading work on MACs?"

If you want AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient kexts to load without KP, and not using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext anymore, just use the dsdt patcher and generate a dsdt.aml file, and put it on root / or /Extra. If you already did that (i mean, if you have a dsdt.aml file), just move the Null kext to trash. This goes for SleepEnabler.kext and OpenHaltRestart.kext too (look in Extra or S/L/E for it/them); you can move them to trash too. Less kexts.

-this is the dsdt.aml i use (extracted from my bios; i updated to the last ver 4/14/2010)

With this file you only need these 4 kexts:

-in Extra

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext (orange icon fix)

-in S/L/E

Intel82566MM.kext (lan)

VoodooHDA.kext (audio)

dsdt.aml.zip

4kexts.zip

• 2 weeks later...

I have a DX58SO, i7/930, Nvidia 9800 GT 1G.

I tested the dual screen and it is working except for the "mirror display" option.

Does anyone know how to fix the "mirror display"?

:worried_anim:

Any BIOS version is best suggestion for DX58SO with Corei7 930 and nVidia EN9800GT card? if update BIOS, which will cause KP issue. any comment or suggestion.

Current BIOS version on my system: SOX5810J.86A.2394.2008.1001.0911

When I installed, my bios was version 4196. Everything was working fine. Yesterday I updated to version 5200 and everything seems to be working fine.

By the way I have a DX58SO, i7/930, Nvidia 9800 GT 1G.

I tested the dual screen and it is working except for the "mirror display" option.

Does anyone know how to fix the "mirror display"?

For S.V.

- your wi-fi card is told to have an atheros chip and works as native airport extreme, BUT in 32-bit mode

- if is not recognized OOB (out of the box), try using this dummy kext to "fix" that in S/L/E (see below)

-if you want you could try the second kext (remove the one above if you do so) in S/L/E in 64-bit mode, but is told to cause KP (kernel panic with core i5/i7 cpus); be careful and always backup what you've changed

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QGG4N2ZD

- booting 32-bit arch=i386 (chameleon), -x32 (pc_efi)

-using a dsdt file is recommended

1 - your system is recognized better by the os

2 - you can use native power management AppleHPET.kext loads correctly (AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient kexts load without KP)

3 - less kexts in Extra/(in general)

p.s. i'll check the mirror thing and get back to you (in your sig you said you have a GTS 250!?!)

AtherosFix.kext.zip

Thank you User 1...

It was necessary to use the IO80211family.kext

In my case, the wi-fi only worked in 32 bits and by changing the Hyperthreading to disabled and the active cores processors to 1.

Otherwise I get a Kernel Panic...

How do I use a DSDT file? Is the "how-to" in your tutorial?

You can use dsdt patcher GUI (in tutorial)/terminal way (same thing) > the dsdt.aml file will be on root, you can leave it there or copy it to /Extra and delete the one from root /. Or you can use DSDTSE (you can edit it, also, with this) and extract the dsdt and then compile it into a dsdt.aml file (also same thing).

VoodooHDA.kext (0.2.1) vs AppleHDA.kext (1.8.4fc3)?! - you decide

(me > AppleHDA.kext)

1. Delete VoodooHDA.kext from S/L/E (move it to trash)

2. Put LegacyHDA,kext and HDAEnabler.kext in Extra

3. Backup vanilla (untouched) AppleHDA.kext (1.8.4fc3) from S/L/E

4. Install binary patched AppleHDA.kext (1.8.4fc3) by Aschar with Kext Utility

5. Repair Permissions with Disk Utility. Restart.

- system preferences > sound > sound effects > selected output device/or internal speakers

- > output >internal speakers

p.s. VoodooHDA.kext is at version 0.2.61 - tried them all until now - not working except 0.2.1, which is in all the "packs" i've posted

EDIT!!!

-forgot to mention something

For a "clean" mac. If you want to try the AppleHDA.kext and you're happy with it, and did before this the "thing" with sleepwatcher for VoodooHDA.kext to work when wakes from sleep (mentioned also in my tutorial), then do this commands in terminal to remove that

sudo rm /usr/local/sbin/sleepwatcher
 sudo rm /usr/local/share/man/man8/sleepwatcher.8
 sudo rm /etc/rc.sleep
 sudo rm /etc/rc.wakeup
 sudo rm -r /Library/StartupItems/SleepWatcher

Sound.zip

If you want more mac to your hac!

Okay, so you are a Mac Pro, but which one is showing in your "System Profiler" 1,1 2,1 3,1 4,1?

-some differences here

-if you don't use any smbios.plist in Extra with chameleon v2 rc4, it'll probably show 3,1

-if you are using a smbios.plist in Extra downloaded from previous posts, then it'll probably show 2,1

But if you want to go with the 4,1 model identifier (model that has the intel x58 chipset), sometimes this is not recommended, because you can receive updates that are meant only for this model identifier; but i've tested and is all safe; you'll probably receive only one more update (if you choose this), related to Mac Pro Audio Update 1.1, that is actually related to some AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement components update (more here )

So, what you'll need is

-a modified smbios.plist (that is also smaller) and to be used with AsereBLN 1.1.9 bootloader (recommended); it will also "fix" the Intel Quad-Core Xeon for i7; this is the key/string (1793 for i7)

<key>SMcputype</key>

<string>1793</string>

--remove the old one from Extra, if any, replace with new one--

and probably the right detection for your memory speed/type etc

-and a modified fakesmc.kext/Contents/Info.plist in two places with MacPro4,1 specific information (1.30f3 and smc-napa changed to 1.39f5 and smc-thurley) (remove old one, replace with new one)

<key>REV </key>
               <data>
               ATAPAAAD
               </data>
           </dict>
           <key>smc-compatible</key>
           <string>smc-napa</string>

modified

<key>REV </key>
               <data>
               ATkPAAAF    
               </data>
           </dict>
           <key>smc-compatible</key>
           <string>smc-thurley</string>

4_1.zip

Update for lan kext. More info and credits to ktbos.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...howtopic=219114

-previous kext you used Intel82566MM.kext (1.0.0d1) find it in S/L/E and remove it

-new kext to use IntelE1000e.kext (1.1.2) - correct !!! - doesn't work (fine) from E/E ((Extra/Extensions) (just put it there) or) you should (can) install it to S/L/E with KU (Kext Utility)

"Packs"

-1 just the kext

-2 4kexts pack updated with the new kext - previous post #108

-3 and a new 6kexts pack with AppleHDA sound instead of VoodooHDA - see post #115

IntelE1000e.kext.zip

4kexts.zip

6kexts.zip

• 2 weeks later...
:dev:

Any BIOS version is best suggestion for DX58SO with Corei7 930 and nVidia EN9800GT card? if update BIOS, which will cause KP issue. any comment or suggestion.

Current BIOS version on my system: SOX5810J.86A.2394.2008.1001.0911

The 5314 BIOS destroys overclocking above BCLK 160: http://communities.intel.com/message/93308...58B0E7.node7COM

The 5200 BIOS seems to be working fine for me. However, when overclocking above BCLK 140, DX58SO's fail to awake after sleep with 10.6.3 using the Ultimate Snow Leopard bootloader system that should be released shortly at ConvertIt2Mac.com.

-copy to Extra the new SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.3, or install it with KU to s/l/e

I am wondering if anyone has sleep working on the DX58SO with any version of 10.6 when overclocking above BCLK 140.

Does SleepEnabler.kext work?

DX58SO's fail to awake after sleep with 10.6.3 using the Ultimate Snow Leopard bootloader system that should be released shortly at ConvertIt2Mac.com.

We have now released the Ultimate Snow Leopard bootloader system for general testing on DX58SO and other select Intel boards here:

http://www.convertit2mac.com/forum/index.c...mp;threadid=159

Ultimate Snow Leopard includes bootable RAID support, automatic detection of multiple Nvidia cards and essentially full, native support of the DX58SO (with the exception of analog surround sound output).

ultimatesnowleopard.jpg

For those who tried or trying the 10.6.4(10F564) beta EDIT - or 10.6.4(10F569) -final- (same version of AppleHDA.kext (1.8.7f1) -> if you didn't figure that yet!!!), and want the new sound kext AppleHDA.kext(1.8.7f1) to work, then here it is, binary patched and nothing more (is at close as vanilla as possible - just one file edited). Leave the LegacyHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext where they are (Extra).

- it might work for 10.6.3 too (didn't test it but it should, i don't see why not)

- this time i take credit for it

->

AppleHDA.kext.zip

• 4 weeks later...

Ok since I know there are people out there still reading this thread and if you have read this far then you have more foresight than me or are EXTREMELY frustrated. After trying many variations of the patch provided here I feel compelled to add my fix. Keep in mind I picked out my hardware to run a windows platform but once I discovered that the board was Mac compatible I had to install it. I have been building PC's for a number of years and have no experience with Mac. This will get you booted into sl 10.6.3.

DX58SO

Nvidia 9600

6gb G.Skill ripjaws 2000

i7 920

This is if you have a PC up and running, if not your going to have to be a little more creative.

Follow the iatkos i5 method with one ADDITIONAL bios change, TURN OFF intel speedstep.

once you are in iatkos format a external drive to msdos.

from pc get the dx58so patch provided here on this thread ( only used it for a reference on what kext to use ) you will also need the Hackinstaller_script for the Gigabyte x58 hack found here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097

now you can use the dx58so patch to tell you what kexts to use and what to remove from the 10.6.xx file in the root of the hackinstaller, follow the guide on the main post but sub the dxpatch for the hackinstaller patch ...Blah Blah Blah Bing Bang Boom, Your in 10.6.3. If you get a non bootable device error it prob cuz you dint change the bios to boot on hard drive first...flawless ;)

If you plan on doing the 10.6.4 update right away DO NOT install the sleepenabler.kext, it does not work on this board for some reason and I am unable to find one that does, if you get one working could you please send me a link? Also would like to get hardware raid so if someone has a tested card or method of install please let me know. Thanx.

Update: Day three and I have the sleepenabler kext installed by editing the com.apple.boot.plist with the pmVersion=20 and the apple raid to boot using superduper,boot-uuid=(raid identifier) and the hackinstaller to add bootfiles. I still however have had no luck with the audio I've tried several solutions and goolgled it till my fingers bleed but have gotten nowhere. Is there anyone out there With a solution?

Update: Manage to get a good sound config and Ethernet on install, formatted and reinstalled a few times to be sure, I have the sleepenabler kext installed but sleep still isnt working properly.

• 2 weeks later...
If you need it (goes in Extra/Extensions or S/L/E) and didn't find it yet. Works for 10.6.x (all versions).

->link and the kext -> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196466

Keeping this thread organized and up to date!

Read all 7 pages before asking something!

All needed files and links are here!

Thank you for your post and I have tried more than one kext on this thread but I cannot seem to get this working. do you have this working on your machine? In E/E it will partially sleep, no disp but fans remain running and will not wake from mouse/keyboard/power button. Have to reboot. In S/L/E it causes KP, even with the pmVersion=20 in the boot.Plist. In addition I only have; put hard drive to sleep and enable sleep from power button in my power management, I had sleep working on my first attempt 10.6.3 but when I updated it (obviously) here I am. Like I said this is my first attempt with mac and my sleep issue is just a matter of getting it right, I would like to have a completely functional clean install.I dont like having to do complete system back-ups and restoring changes made from it. Im not that familiar with mac but typically on my PC's or anyone's PC I am working on I like to do a periodic Low Level Format. Removing garbage files, Viruses Ect.

Has anyone had any luck with a DSDT mod? Iv been searching but have yet to find anything solid for someone with limited experience.

Thank you for your post and I have tried more than one kext on this thread but I cannot seem to get this working. do you have this working on your machine? In E/E it will partially sleep, no disp but fans remain running and will not wake from mouse/keyboard/power button. Have to reboot. In S/L/E it causes KP, even with the pmVersion=20 in the boot.Plist. In addition I only have; put hard drive to sleep and enable sleep from power button in my power management, I had sleep working on my first attempt 10.6.3 but when I updated it (obviously) here I am. Like I said this is my first attempt with mac and my sleep issue is just a matter of getting it right, I would like to have a completely functional clean install.I dont like having to do complete system back-ups and restoring changes made from it. Im not that familiar with mac but typically on my PC's or anyone's PC I am working on I like to do a periodic Low Level Format. Removing garbage files, Viruses Ect.

Has anyone had any luck with a DSDT mod? Iv been searching but have yet to find anything solid for someone with limited experience.

Tutorial page 4!

Read carefully from page 4 to 7!