[GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard Install On DX58SO (Core i7) Mobo

Juiceman

239 posts in this topic

previous pack trimmed for use with !!chameleon 2 rc4!! (less kexts)

If you wonder why i'm not including the very last VoodooHDA.kext (ver 2.5.3) in the pack, is because is not working for me, at least. So, i'll put it separately, and if you want to try it, or already did that, and its working for you, please tell. And also tell if you did something more then just installing the extension (in s-l-e, i assume). Thx.

all_u_need_.zip

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

Hey user_01,

Your guide was great! I have 10.6.2 running stable on DX58SO, i7-920, 8800GTS.

Two questions if you don't mind:

1. Sleep doesn't work correctly. When the system sleeps (either automatic or selecting sleep), when I wake the PC up, it boots as if powered off (i.e. it'll shutdown and turn on when I try to wak up). Any ideas why this would happen?

2. How do I stop the bootloader from asking me what to start everytime? How can I get it to just start up automatically without the option screen?

Bonus question: Your updated "all you need" zip file doesn't have any of the sleep kexts and settings you originally posted. Does that mean with RC4 they are not needed?

Thanks!

Hey user_01,

Your guide was great! I have 10.6.2 running stable on DX58SO, i7-920, 8800GTS.

Two questions if you don't mind:

1. Sleep doesn't work correctly. When the system sleeps (either automatic or selecting sleep), when I wake the PC up, it boots as if powered off (i.e. it'll shutdown and turn on when I try to wak up). Any ideas why this would happen?

2. How do I stop the bootloader from asking me what to start everytime? How can I get it to just start up automatically without the option screen?

Bonus question: Your updated "all you need" zip file doesn't have any of the sleep kexts and settings you originally posted. Does that mean with RC4 they are not needed?

Thanks!

3. No. It's still needed, but i don't want to include the SleepEnabler.kext there ( i also didn't in the previous two "all u need!" packages), because as you can see, you can encounter same issues with it (kext). The last post for SleepEnabler.kext it's still okay. Nothing new there.

2. For that you need to set a timeout in the com.apple.Boot.plist !! NOW - this file you can find it here (original location) root>library>preferences>systemconfiguration, but it can run also from extra folder (next to smbios.plist), if you copy it there, and the one from original location it's ignored at boot. I didn't want to add this step too, because i wanted to keep it simple; you can also add to extra a folder "Themes" and put inside a folder with the files for a theme, and then add to com.apple.Boot.plist the strings for that theme to be loaded by chameleon (see below)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string></string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key> HERE! (add the 2 lines, 1=1sec)

<string>1</string>

<key>Theme</key> HERE! (add the 2 lines, Alien=theme folder's name)

<string>Alien</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>d10300000100000001000000c50300001500000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000030

101060000007fff04003a000000400032002c0068007700730065006e0073006f0072002d0070006

2d706172656e74</string>

</dict>

</plist>

a. the file can be modified by copying it to the desktop, move the old one to the trash, and put the modified, from desktop, instead (the file runs fine either from original location or from extra)

!!! UPDATE: you can edit the file with efi_studio 1.1 too! (original location)

b. themes. go to voodoo project site

1. So, you say, it goes to sleep, but the problem is when it tries to wake?! Mine it wakes okay, and the fix for audio it's okay too. If you gone correctly through the steps for enabling sleep, then my best guess is, maybe it's something in connection with your disk; because if it, at least, waked okay, but no picture, it was your video then. Maybe the disk it doesn't go to sleep properly.

1. So, you say, it goes to sleep, but the problem is when it tries to wake?! Mine it wakes okay, and the fix for audio it's okay too. If you gone correctly through the steps for enabling sleep, then my best guess is, maybe it's something in connection with your disk; because if it, at least, waked okay, but no picture, it was your video then. Maybe the disk it doesn't go to sleep properly.

Thanks! Will try your other suggestions. Regarding sleep, so the PC goes to sleep (display, fans are all off), but when it "wakes," it does a whole boot process (Chameleon loader, etc). Everything works fine once booted. But sleep seems to put the machine in a power off state rather than sleep (and apps that were open when sleep started aren't reopened...)

Otherwise, it's perfect!

all you need for a perfect 10.6.2 (the same if you're updating from 10.6 or 10.6.1):

1.chameleon 2 rc3 (+pc_efi 10.5, check netkas blog for "boot" file)

2.a "smbios.plist" in "extra", with the right info for better detection of the system in "about this mac" and "system profiler" (if you don't know how to get it, learn or tell...and i'll help...noob way...less effort!)

3.this up to date kexts...see attachment!

p.s.: there's a kext for video in there, if you don't want to deal with efi strings in "com.apple.Boot.plist"

thx to the starter of this topic...good job!...keep it up to date, if you will and can...!

The bootloader I'm using right now is the Chameleon supplied with Bernfeld's tutorial which is burned on a CD. Will that work with the upgrade?

Also.. smbois.plist, I'm not sure what I should be doing when it comes to finding and editing if that's what I have to do.

The files supplied in the all u need!.zip, do those all go in S/L/E or can they be placed in the Extra/ folder?

10.6 SL is running stable right now, I'd like to get the system information to display correctly and upgrade to 10.6.2 without missing any steps.

Thanks everyone for all the information supplied so far, it's been a real help in getting my rig up and running. Everything's running nice in 64bit including my video card (aside from plugging in dual monitors, running a gtx295 dual pcb). The PciRoot thing is what I have to edit I believe but from reading over it it seemed over my head.

btw, Bernfeld.. thanks for that tutorial, Install went smooth as a whistle.

previous pack trimmed for use with !!chameleon 2 rc4!! (less kexts)

If you wonder why i'm not including the very last VoodooHDA.kext (ver 2.5.3) in the pack, is because is not working for me, at least. So, i'll put it separately, and if you want to try it, or already did that, and its working for you, please tell. And also tell if you did something more then just installing the extension (in s-l-e, i assume). Thx.

The bootloader I'm using right now is the Chameleon supplied with Bernfeld's tutorial which is burned on a CD. Will that work with the upgrade?

Also.. smbois.plist, I'm not sure what I should be doing when it comes to finding and editing if that's what I have to do.

The files supplied in the all u need!.zip, do those all go in S/L/E or can they be placed in the Extra/ folder?

10.6 SL is running stable right now, I'd like to get the system information to display correctly and upgrade to 10.6.2 without missing any steps.

Thanks everyone for all the information supplied so far, it's been a real help in getting my rig up and running. Everything's running nice in 64bit including my video card (aside from plugging in dual monitors, running a gtx295 dual pcb). The PciRoot thing is what I have to edit I believe but from reading over it it seemed over my head.

btw, Bernfeld.. thanks for that tutorial, Install went smooth as a whistle.

That's the latest post for "all u need!" (3of3, 1-post 45, 2-post 57, 3-post 76)

1. If it's rc3 (chameleon 2 rc3), you're good to go. (but you can also go installing the last "release candidate" rc4). Before you do go with the update (not upgrade !!!), first remove any SleepEnabler.kext (from extra or from s-l-e, or efi partition, if that's the case), because if it's not the latest one (for kernel 10.2.0), you'll get kernel panic. (old kext+new kernel=panic). Then go and install like in post 54.

2. Go to post 72, get the file (smbios.plist), open it with textedit, change the line with memspeed for your own (your ram), save it, copy it to extra.

3. All can go to extra (remove duplicates from extra or s-l-e, or efi partition), except Intel82566MM.kext, VoodooHDA.kext, SleepEnabler.kext, they go to s-l-e.

chameleon 2 rc4 attached (see below)

Chameleon_2.0_RC4.zip

That's the latest post for "all u need!" (3of3, 1-post 45, 2-post 57, 3-post 76)

1. If it's rc3 (chameleon 2 rc3), you're good to go. (but you can also go installing the last "release candidate" rc4). Before you do go with the update (not upgrade !!!), first remove any SleepEnabler.kext (from extra or from s-l-e, or efi partition, if that's the case), because if it's not the latest one (for kernel 10.2.0), you'll get kernel panic. (old kext+new kernel=panic). Then go and install like in post 54.

2. Go to post 72, get the file (smbios.plist), open it with textedit, change the line with memspeed for your own (your ram), save it, copy it to extra.

3. All can go to extra (remove duplicates from extra or s-l-e, or efi partition), except Intel82566MM.kext, VoodooHDA.kext, SleepEnabler.kext, they go to s-l-e.

chameleon 2 rc4 attached (see below)

You should get a medal for pure awesomeness. Thanks a lot, everything updated* flawlessly. I think one of the problems I was having reading this topic was the Thread View for the forums was in outline mode, so I didn't see a lot of the posts.. I kept googling things and then I'd view google's cached page to see replies to the topic. This morning I noticed you could change the view to standard mode now I've been able to read every page of this topic. :)

Also, I apologize if this is a little off topic, it may help any other dx58so users out there with my setup, I've been having trouble finding good instructions in english involving this problem.

I've been playing around with my GTX295, I have it working with the boot string and all, I just can't seem to get Dual Monitors to work(black screens on both monitors unless I plug in only one). I've been a little hesitant to go over board with this in fear of messing up what I have. With the different brands and single pcb design of this board I want to make sure I dont enter the wrong information for my dual-pcb.

I'm using the dual-PCB evga gtx295, one of the first to come off the line. Here's my plist for it if anyone has any ideas to fixing it. (I used R4lph's method) I guess its me, but I haven't been able to find any idiot proof steps to setting up the dual-pcb with dual monitors. One thing I've found true though is persistence fixes everything.

Thank you everyone for all the knowledge. Enjoying my SL Experience thus far. :(

## Deleted the gfx.plist I had posted in here, see post below ##

-The next step is the dsdt patcher, run this and you are practically done!

Intel DX58SO Mobo Patcher <----Updated 10/6/09

OSX86Tools

I was curious so I checked the files attached at the beginning of the post.

It's great that you can get your board running using the DSDT provided but FYI it's for a Gigabyte motherboard. This probably will not matter in most situations initially but it will over time. Ideally you'd run your system in Windows, use Everest to extract your specific DSDT and then insert that into your installer script. That will probably fix a number of issues or failed installs.

Just my 2 centavos :(

I was curious so I checked the files attached at the beginning of the post.

It's great that you can get your board running using the DSDT provided but FYI it's for a Gigabyte motherboard. This probably will not matter in most situations initially but it will over time. Ideally you'd run your system in Windows, use Everest to extract your specific DSDT and then insert that into your installer script. That will probably fix a number of issues or failed installs.

Just my 2 centavos :)

I think you saw wrong. There is no dsdt file there. (if it is, please tell me where; now i'm curious). The file is GENERATED when you run the installer script, so therefore is for your own board. You can use the GUI version of the patcher to do that, also. Why go all the way to windows?

I think you saw wrong. There is no dsdt file there. (if it is, please tell me where; now i'm curious). The file is GENERATED when you run the installer script, so therefore is for your own board. You can use the GUI version of the patcher to do that, also. Why go all the way to windows?

It's in the ~extra/DSDT_Patcher folder - explore that and the inner Debug folder and you'll see what I mean. The reason I noticed it was because I did the same thing a long time ago on a different computer using the same script from Digital Dreamer and my DSDT was for Gigabyte on my Asus motherboard. (not the one in my sig)

The way to best check is to extract your DSDT running now. If you don't see GBT in the header, then I will happily stand corrected since that would make my life easier also if the script auto generates the DSDT :(

But I don't think so since Digital Dreamer meant it to be installed for their series and not Intel. He originally wrote the guide and script for someone running Leopard and upgrading to Snow Leopard using their existing Gigabyte. He also noted that you shouldn't run the DSDT patcher if you are installing on a different system.

The header will tell you for sure though what was installed.

Edit:

The reason you'd go to Windows is to run Everest and you could generate your own DSDT and then place it in the folder to be patched since the DSDT that is generated from Everest is the raw buggy crappy file that needs the script to clean it up lest you do it by hand :)

Digital Dreamer provided a clean DSDT file since once a DSDT is loaded on a system, that's the one that will be extracted. Fassl's script looks for a dsdt.dsl in the DSDT Patcher folder and coverts it to an aml. I run that same script on my real mac machines all of the time and it uses the .dsl that I place in the folder. Hope this helps...

It's in the ~extra/DSDT_Patcher folder - explore that and the inner Debug folder and you'll see what I mean. The reason I noticed it was because I did the same thing a long time ago on a different computer using the same script from Digital Dreamer and my DSDT was for Gigabyte on my Asus motherboard. (not the one in my sig)

The way to best check is to extract your DSDT running now. If you don't see GBT in the header, then I will happily stand corrected since that would make my life easier also if the script auto generates the DSDT :)

But I don't think so since Digital Dreamer meant it to be installed for their series and not Intel. He originally wrote the guide and script for someone running Leopard and upgrading to Snow Leopard using their existing Gigabyte. He also noted that you shouldn't run the DSDT patcher if you are installing on a different system.

The header will tell you for sure though what was installed.

Edit:

The reason you'd go to Windows is to run Everest and you could generate your own DSDT and then place it in the folder to be patched since the DSDT that is generated from Everest is the raw buggy crappy file that needs the script to clean it up lest you do it by hand :)

Digital Dreamer provided a clean DSDT file since once a DSDT is loaded on a system, that's the one that will be extracted. Fassl's script looks for a dsdt.dsl in the DSDT Patcher folder and coverts it to an aml. I run that same script on my real mac machines all of the time and it uses the .dsl that I place in the folder. Hope this helps...

1. My bad. I guess i haven't gone through the folder all the way.

2. Your turn to say "my bad".

a. the file is GENERATED !

b. i did what you said and the same result as GUI version>>>new dsdt.aml file (with intel in the header)

c. the existing .dsl file is not used, in compiling, is generated too

you can test this by copying the folder dsdt patcher to desktop, delete the folder debug, run the patcher, you'll get the brand new file in the folder, and a new created debug folder with .dsl inside

ps i guess the folder debug is from michael's pc (who ever he may be)

ALL USERS!!! (Fatshenanigans, jboehm in special) by using the dsdt patcher (from the folder from the 1st post) (terminal way) or GUI version, you'll get the same results with both, for this mobo at least.

1. My bad. I guess i haven't gone through the folder all the way.

2. Your turn to say "my bad".

a. the file is GENERATED !

b. i did what you said and the same result as GUI version>>>new dsdt.aml file (with intel in the header)

c. the existing .dsl file is not used, in compiling, is generated too

you can test this by copying the folder dsdt patcher to desktop, delete the folder debug, run the patcher, you'll get the brand new file in the folder, and a new created debug folder with .dsl inside

ps i guess the folder debug is from michael's pc (who ever he may be)

ALL USERS!!! (Fatshenanigans, jboehm in special) by using the dsdt patcher (from the folder from the 1st post) (terminal way) or GUI version, you'll get the same results with both, for this mobo at least.

Human error on my part then...I'm actually glad since I love that script and use it as one of my main utilities :)

Now I need to figure out how I managed to do that before ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Ok i followed everything to THE T 5 times i have done fresh installs. But for some reason my LAN is not working. Everything is...any ideas?

With this mobo, everything is working. Try the kext in s/l/e location and not in extra or efi partition (if that's the case). Remove duplicates.

Here it is. (the latest version for snow)

Intel82566MM.kext.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Guys, I have a problem. help please ...

I try to install MacOS X on my computer in accordance with this manual. Stopped at

install iAtkos.

I made the right settings in the BIOS, started to install iAtkos 5.5. The system is installed, and after should start loading MacOS computer starting and stop (monitor: STARTED).

I used these settings for install

Chameleon Boot Loader (uncheck PC EFI V9)

Apple Decrypt

DSMos

SMBIOS-EFI

SMBIOS-Enabler

AppleSMBIOS-28

9.5.0 FASSL Kernel

X86 ACPI

DISABLER.KEXT

Graphics Update

NVKush

Intel SATA

Intel AHCI Sata

In what could be the problem?

Hmm...How to update to 10.6.3, that's today's topic?

The answer for this mobo and cpu is: Easy, hit the software update button (if you already have a proper install, 10.6, 10.6.1, 10.6.2)

-but, before you do, you need to remove (move to trash) the old SleepEnabler.kext (from Extra or from s/l/e, or efi partition, if the case), if using one; you'll get kernel panic

-then Update

-copy to Extra the new SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.3, or install it with KU to s/l/e

That's it!

SleepEnabler.kext.zip

I am at the end of my f**king rope here. NOTHING WORKS. I've been running 10.5.8 and Win7 with few problems. Everything was good. I've tried several guides for this board and none of them have done a damned thing except leave me with a non-booting Hackie.

Tried the OP's guide. Snow Leopard installs from a second drive with 10.5.7 just fine. Everything goes. However, it doesn't matter if I put Chameleon or PC EFI in the System or EFI. It doesn't matter if I try to upgrade Chameleon to RC4. IT WILL NOT BOOT. With Chameleon, the system skips the drive every single time and brings up Chameleon from the 10.5.7 drive. If I try to boot 10.6 from that, it says "Can't find custom" and kicks me back to Chameleon. I then have to reboot again because trying to boot 10.5.7 results in an eternal gear wheel if I don't. PC EFI tries to get the bootloader up, but hangs on a boot0 error every single time. I've reinstalled SL half a dozen times with the exact same results.

The same thing happens when I use the commonly-referenced Gigabyte guide and the USB stick option. Get SL on the USB stick, install Chameleon from the Terminal, reboot, "Can't find custom" whether it boots from Chameleon on the thumbdrive or on the internal drive.

Okay, so I try to boot the SL install disc from the Gigabyte board bootloader CD. SL DVD comes up, tries to boot, and hangs at the NTFS R/W driver every time.

Tried the bootloader CD that another guy had in his guide earlier in this thread. That one actually works...except that it kills video just before loading the installer. It'll even boot the Snow Leopard install from the first attempts (no custom error). I can hear the setup assistant, but no video. I have a GTX 285 which I know should at least function as a dumb framebuffer. Using some graphics strings boot options does nothing.

I'm pulling my hair out. I'm about ready to just start killing people. I swear, no guide has EVER worked as stated when I try getting Hackies up and running. I've followed each of these guides meticulously and several times over. What the HELL is with that custom file and why the HELL does it keep screwing up boot?? Someone PLEASE shed some insight into this!

SUCCESS!

I don't know why I was the exception, but I was only able to get this work by launching the Terminal scripts, using them to install SL only (nothing else), then quit, manually install Chameleon RC4, then relaunch the Terminal scripts and add kexts, DSDT, etc. Reboot and it actually booted from Chameleon on the drive! However, no video upon boot completion. Music with a black screen. The "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" string earned me video acceleration and video! I finally have Snow Leopard working! Network works out of the box, but I don't think it's complete. Seems a bit sluggish and network speeds aren't properly recognized, but I can get online.

Now I need to get all the kexts and updates working, but at least I've cleared the first big hurdle...

Hmm...How to update to 10.6.3, that's today's topic?

The answer for this mobo and cpu is: Easy, hit the software update button (if you already have a proper install, 10.6, 10.6.1, 10.6.2)

-but, before you do, you need to remove (move to trash) the old SleepEnabler.kext (from Extra or from s/l/e, or efi partition, if the case), if using one; you'll get kernel panic

-then Update

-copy to Extra the new SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.3, or install it with KU to s/l/e

That's it!

I want to thank Juiceman and User for all the great guides and comments on this topic. I followed Juiceman's guide to get Leopard up and running and used the DX58SO Mobo patcher to work by installing to /Extra (couldn't get kext installer to load kexts in EFI). I used a mounted version of SL (instead of DVD) for the install. Ended up using PC-EFI loader. Upon reboot, the Intel82556MM did not load and at the end of the verbose first load, i had error messages regarding CPU power management (it was looking for more cores than I had turned on, it seems). I thought I was going to have to restart again but all of a sudden, the Apple logo came in and started the "welcome" in the galaxy sequence...it was very choppy but I did have sound!

Got through all the Apple user stuff, used the OSX86 tools to put the string for my nVidia 9800 GT 1 GB and that worked great. I trashed the Intel82556MM kext from system/library/extensions and used the kext utility program that User had in his guide to load a 64-bit version of the Intel8255MM kext which i pulled from the X58_Mobo_Patch_Installer (the newest version from the digital dreamer tutorial) in the Kexts_10.6 folder/Networking/repository/Intel82566MM/64-bit/ - this kext is dated Aug 30, 2009 and 442 KB...and works (for me). I am using the onboard NIC of the MB, not a separate card and so far, so good.

Did an update to 10.6.1 without issue.

Followed User's recommendation above and am now running 10.6.3 just fine.

Only thing not running yet is getting the sound to work after the system sleeps but it looks like that is very doable!

Thanks much!

System specs:

DX58SO

940 i7

6GB Patriot 1333

2 500 GB Seagate HD

nVidia 9800 GT 1 GB

I want to thank Juiceman and User for all the great guides and comments on this topic. I followed Juiceman's guide to get Leopard up and running and used the DX58SO Mobo patcher to work by installing to /Extra (couldn't get kext installer to load kexts in EFI). I used a mounted version of SL (instead of DVD) for the install. Ended up using PC-EFI loader. Upon reboot, the Intel82556MM did not load and at the end of the verbose first load, i had error messages regarding CPU power management (it was looking for more cores than I had turned on, it seems). I thought I was going to have to restart again but all of a sudden, the Apple logo came in and started the "welcome" in the galaxy sequence...it was very choppy but I did have sound!

Got through all the Apple user stuff, used the OSX86 tools to put the string for my nVidia 9800 GT 1 GB and that worked great. I trashed the Intel82556MM kext from system/library/extensions and used the kext utility program that User had in his guide to load a 64-bit version of the Intel8255MM kext which i pulled from the X58_Mobo_Patch_Installer (the newest version from the digital dreamer tutorial) in the Kexts_10.6 folder/Networking/repository/Intel82566MM/64-bit/ - this kext is dated Aug 30, 2009 and 442 KB...and works (for me). I am using the onboard NIC of the MB, not a separate card and so far, so good.

Did an update to 10.6.1 without issue.

Followed User's recommendation above and am now running 10.6.3 just fine.

Only thing not running yet is getting the sound to work after the system sleeps but it looks like that is very doable!

Thanks much!

System specs:

DX58SO

940 i7

6GB Patriot 1333

2 500 GB Seagate HD

nVidia 9800 GT 1 GB

Go to post #54 to "fix" your audio after sleep.

If you want to try graphics enabler feature of chameleon v2 rc4 (of course you need to install it first), and get rid of the efi strings, here is an already made com.apple.Boot.plist with the key/string y to enable that (this goes to Extra folder) and a "raw" one to copy back to original location (to keep the system "clean"). You can also modify that one from original location (that you already edited with oxs86tools), first to look like the attachment one and copy it to Extra, and second to look like attachment two and copy it to its original location.

-original location - library(not system library)>preferences>systemconfiguration

-to edit the com.apple.Boot.plist just copy it to desktop and open it TextEdit

-here is a kext (put it to Extra) if you fill a mouse lag and a video one too (it's to disable the apple kext "guilty" for that, AppleUserUpstreamClient, and has nothing to do with power management disabler for cpu or anything else)

a_raw_file.zip

with_graphics_enabler_string_y.zip

Disabler.kext.zip

Hey all, I also wanted to express my everlasting gratitude to Juiceman and User for their help, you've both made a world of difference.

Question to anyone who knows. I've never bothered messing with the EFI strings for my GPU, first time I booted up the NVInject was able to pick up my card with accel graphics and dual screen so I figured don't fix if it's not broke. Only thing is that in Sys Profiler it shows up as a Dummy Nvidia with 256 VRAM, while the card really has 896 onboard. The question is, is the system using the card at full power or is it throttling my GPU because I don't have the proper info? And as a followup, which is a more painless GPU install; the EFI strings or the Chameleon graphics enabler that User just mentioned?

Also, somewhat off topic, but worth noting in my opinion. Intel just released a BIOS update a few weeks back. If you're like me and don't check regularly (I hadn't updated in about 6 months, missed 2 revisions) Intel's made some very nice improvements. It looks much nicer, feels a little more well laid-out, and even has a pre installed profile for clocking the RAM to 1600 if you've got some higher end chips. Installs easy and doesn't effect your Mac install. Link is Here if you're interested. Just thought I,d throw it out there

Followed all the instruction, but fail to have first boot on new HDD with boot error, any comment or suggestion?

boot0: GPT

boot0: testing

boot0: done

boot1: error

:D

Try and reinstall the bootloader (try chameleon 2 rc4), and also it's only a partition on the hd or more? Which one is active and what bootloader is installed on it?

to verify and set a partition active on a hd (mac os x)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22844

Hey all, I also wanted to express my everlasting gratitude to Juiceman and User for their help, you've both made a world of difference.

Question to anyone who knows. I've never bothered messing with the EFI strings for my GPU, first time I booted up the NVInject was able to pick up my card with accel graphics and dual screen so I figured don't fix if it's not broke. Only thing is that in Sys Profiler it shows up as a Dummy Nvidia with 256 VRAM, while the card really has 896 onboard. The question is, is the system using the card at full power or is it throttling my GPU because I don't have the proper info? And as a followup, which is a more painless GPU install; the EFI strings or the Chameleon graphics enabler that User just mentioned?

Also, somewhat off topic, but worth noting in my opinion. Intel just released a BIOS update a few weeks back. If you're like me and don't check regularly (I hadn't updated in about 6 months, missed 2 revisions) Intel's made some very nice improvements. It looks much nicer, feels a little more well laid-out, and even has a pre installed profile for clocking the RAM to 1600 if you've got some higher end chips. Installs easy and doesn't effect your Mac install. Link is Here if you're interested. Just thought I,d throw it out there

the easiest one is to just have the stirng/key for graphics enabler in your com.apple.Boot.plist, then the one with generated efi string, then an injector, then making a custom efi string with the right nvcap

tested all for my video card