[GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard Install On DX58SO (Core i7) Mobo

Juiceman

239 posts in this topic

Guys, just confirm you have working Firewire on dx58so? Do you?

Struggling to make it work. Any hints?

I was able to get the firewire 400 to work and also an add in card that supports firewire 800. I didn't do anything special it just worked.

I was able to get the firewire 400 to work and also an add in card that supports firewire 800. I didn't do anything special it just worked.

Mine spits errors like "ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure."

Which add in card do you have (i want fw800 as well)?

I think my guide is so far more simplified and gives a cleaner install of snow. I wrote it on projectosx forums: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...;st=0#entry3173

Any suggestions

Bernfeld thanks for such an easy guide it worked flawlessly. I do have one issue and that's to try to fix the no audio after sleep fix. I went to the link you suggested and I have one issue. It talks about getting the files rc.sleep and rc.wakeup from /etc. I went to the directory and have do not have these file. Any suggestions on what to do to find these files???

Thanks for all you have contributed in the past.

Xwing61

Bernfeld thanks for such an easy guide it worked flawlessly. I do have one issue and that's to try to fix the no audio after sleep fix. I went to the link you suggested and I have one issue. It talks about getting the files rc.sleep and rc.wakeup from /etc. I went to the directory and have do not have these file. Any suggestions on what to do to find these files???

Thanks for all you have contributed in the past.

Xwing61

1. Install VoodooHDA.kext + SleepEnabler.kext (if are not...but i guess they are...)

2. Install sleepwatcher 2.0.5

3. Make hidden files visible, go to root partition...

4. Go to etc and modify rc. files or just replace with this already modified...

5. Make files hidden again...

6. Try audio after sleep...and yeah don't thank me...thank the guy who made all...

http://thireus.dareyourmind.net/index.php/...akes-from-sleep

7. Issue...what issue...?

untitled_folder.zip

Dear Participants,

1)I am having the following problem: everytime the computer goes to sleep, I only can wake it by mouse and not by keyboard. Does anyone have the same problem?

2) I am going to buy a magic mouse and an apple wireless keyboard. But first I need to buy a bluetooth USB adapter.

Any suggestions?

SL 10.6.2

DX58SO

i7 920

This is a tutorial for installing a completely updatable retail copy of Snow Leopard on the Intel DX58SO. I have noticed that there are a lot of people with this board that would like to upgrade to Snow Leopard but you have to try and adapt other motherboard tutorials to this motherboard. This tutorial is completely for DX58SO it may work with other motherboards but I'm focusing just on this one.

I would first like to give thanks to digital_dreamer for his tutorial on the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 which is the major contributer for getting Snow Leopard working on the DX58SO, we are going to be using his patch installer which is tweaked slightly to accommodate the DX58SO motherboard, and here we go!

Before we start I just want to say that I have used this method on two Hackintosh's with the same specs using the same motherboard, and both installs went flawlessly, my specs are...

Intel DX58SO motherboard

Core i7 920 cpu

Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

6gb OCZ 1333 ram

-First of all you are going to want 2 hard drives, this doesn't mean 2 partions, but 2 physical hard drives, we will call the hardrive that will ultimately have SL on it your primary drive and we will call the other your secondary drive, this will have iAtkos or any other previous version of leopard on it.

-Now that you have 2 hardrives you will want to go to your motherboard bios and change a few things,

-Change CPU Cores to "1"

-Turn Hyperthreading Off

-Under the Advanced tab go to drive configuration and change IDE to AHCI

You will be able to turn your cores back to all and hyper threading back on after the install finishes.

-now you want to make sure that your secondary drive is set as your first boot drive in the boot order.

-You will want to proceed with installing iAtkos 5i on this drive, I use this because its an easy install, here is a short tutorial for getting this installed

http://www.hackint0sh.org/f181/72803.htm#post411526

-now that we have iAtkos installed we want to boot into Leopard. Make sure both drives are connected at this point, but use the Secondary drive as the first boot drive.

-Once booted into IAtkos insert your retail Snow Leopard DVD into your dvd drive or mount your iso to the desktop, The iso method is slightly faster.

-With the DX58SO Mobo Patcher, click RUN-PATCH_INSTALLER and type your password

RunPatchclean.jpg

-Now choose the primary hardrive where you want to install Snow Leopard, make sure you have formatted it with GUID Partion Table partion scheme in Disk Utitlity.

TargetVolume.png

- Next you will want to choose your install type, I choose EFI Partion

InstallType.png

-Now you will be at the main page where you can have a lot of fun customizing your install but first we should focus on getting SL installed and working.

MainScreen.png

-type 1 and press enter, this will go through the whole install process so you don't need to worry about forgetting something important

-You will now need to choose your bootloader, I choose Chameleon 2.0 RC3 since it now supports SL

- You will now be asked if you would like to set target partion as active, this is really for /extra install type but I choose yes anyway, this doesn't change anything because EFI has to be active partion

-Now if you have your retail SL DVD in your DVD drive or your ISO mounted it will open it up to start installing SL on your primary Hardrive, "IMPORTANT" make sure before you start installing the SL you click customize and unlick all of the extra installs, they will cause issues and your install will fail. you can install these after you have installed and booted into SL by opening your iso or dvd and clicking the optional installs folder then optional installs.mpkg

-after SL installs, you will want to continue with the patcher.

-The kext installer will now install all of the appropriate kext for the Intel DX58SO, if you want to add additional kext, navigate to the kexts_10.6 folder and add where you need them, you can find additional kext in the _repository folder inside each category, this is important if you are using a video card other than an Nvidia card.

-Now the installer should update boot caches automatically.

-The next step is the dsdt patcher, run this and you are practically done!

-Now the patcher should be done and you will want to test out your new system!

-Restart your computer, and change your hardrive boot order to boot the primary hardrive with your new SL install.

-you should be able to hear the music as it shows the flying words in other languages. More than likely your video will look choppy and ugly but at least you have sound with first boot!

-Fill out the required information, now you should be on your desktop.

-This step is for your video card, so that you can have full use of your video card including Quarts Extreme and Vram.

-Download the OSx86Toools below, and open it, click Add EFI String/Boot Flag then click GFX Strings at the top, now choose your graphics card, if your card is not in the list and you have a GeForce card click Custom GeForce, type your password and fill out appropriate information, after you have done this click Import String to Boot Editor at the top.

Screenshot2009-09-29at104459AM.jpg

Screenshot2009-09-29at104515AM.jpg

Screenshot2009-09-29at104528AM.jpg

-now you should see your string at the bottom but before you leave this page set any additional information you would like, I prefer to set my resolution. Now click Apply changes to com.apple.Boot.plist

Screenshot2009-09-29at104813AM.jpg

-Restart your computer and you should be fully up and running make sure to check system profiler to make sure your graphics card is fully operational.

-At this point you can go back to your bios and turn hyper threading back on as well as turning cores back to all.

This is a website that has a number of kext that are working on Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Kext's

And that is it! This is everything that I did to get my 2 systems up and running I hope that this helped some other DX58SO owner out there!

If you have any other questions or comments, im sure that they are answered or more thoroughly explained in digital_dreamers tutorial, this tutorial is adapted for the DX58SO motherboard.

digital_dreamers tutorial

I would like to give thanks to some people that made this whole install possible, and that have helped the Hackintosh Community in so many ways!

-digital_dreamer

-Chameleon team

-osx86tools team

and im sure many others but cant think of them at this moment.

These are the files you need to download to use this tutorial.

Intel DX58SO Mobo Patcher <----Updated 10/6/09

OSX86Tools

Dear Participants,

1)I am having the following problem: everytime the computer goes to sleep, I only can wake it by mouse and not by keyboard. Does anyone have the same problem?

2) I am going to buy a magic mouse and an apple wireless keyboard. But first I need to buy a bluetooth USB adapter.

Any suggestions?

SL 10.6.2

DX58SO

i7 920

Not here!...microsoft keyboard+mouse (2000+1000)!

Why not buy a whole mac pro!!!...just a thought...The whole idea is to run osx on non apple hardware...and run it flawlessly...!

First off thanks Juiceman for such a good guide. Using it I was able to get my Hackintosh up and running.

The issue I'm running into is the network kext. I've used the Mobo patch installer to install the Intel Intel82566MM driver and the RealtekR1000SL driver. I've installed them together and one at a time, and nothing helps.

The way I've tested it opening System Preferences > Network. I'm expecting to see a window say I have a new device and to configure it.

Is it possible I'm not doing it right? Once I've loaded the kext file in /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Stored_Kexts and/or /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Stored_Kexts/_For_System what should I do?

Thanks for all your help.

Note: I've downloaded the above mentioned drivers from http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/165429070/prepare-yourself as well and loaded them in and it still doesn't work.

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of things.

+1 to confirm safe update from 10.6.0 to 10.6.1 using the Juiceman install script and extra files in extra folder.

I have used Belkin mini bluetooth adapter (F8T016ng) to successfully connect new magic mouse via BT.

My 'Hackintosh' has an Apple 30" cinema display and apple keyboard too. Who says you have to stick to PC hardware to run a hackintosh?

I'm still scared to do a 10.6.2 update as my 10.6.1. is running so stable. If anyone can put together a step-by-step walkthrough based on Juiceman's installer script that would be great!

Wow, am I happy now!

I've been trying out this guide for 3 days now, without good success. I could install SL and boot it up np, but I had no sound no ethernet and my GTX 285 wouldn't be recognized. Almost gave up - and I even bought a new retail copy of SL.

Now after one last try it works! What I did now was:

From Windows 7 on my 3rd drive.

1. Update bios

From OS X 10.5.7 iAtkos v7, on 2nd drive.

(SL installs to 1st drive, in the 'uppermost' sata port)

2. Remove GFX, audio and ethernet kexts from DX58SO patcher.

3. Insert the new audio and ethernet kexts from #21 and #24 in this tread.

4. Run the pacter, step by step. using system partition.

5. Install SL.

6. After the install finishes, I wait with the kext installation. Now i run this netkas Nvidia injector/enabler.

7. Then i continue with the patcher, and kext installation.

So this is how I made it. Hope it helps other people with gt200 problems.

Hardware:

i7 920

DX58SO

6gb mushkin 1333mhz DDR3

Gigabyte GTX 285 1gb

2 Samsung F1 500gb

1 Raptor 36gb

Glad to hear your system is finaly up and running. Have you tried the 6.2 upgrade yet? First time I tried I broke my install. Then I had no time to work on it for a few months. I just got my system up and running again and it works so well that I really don't want to mess with it.

Yes, I've got it up and running on 10.6.2 now (fully updated).

I just used the instructions from #45, but I kept my original sound and ethernet kexts, and removed the CPUinjector.kext, and Sleepenabler.kext (this sleepenabler is causing kernel panic for me).

For the correct cpu info in "about this mac", I used the DX58SO patcher to modify my processor info.

For the Sleep/no sound fix, i followed #54. I just didn't use the VoodooHDA, since the one I have works fine. The sleepenabler.kext in that package works fine on my system.

It wasn't easy making it to this point. I have used a lot of time, a lot of trial and error and correcting all the small flaws you make in the process. But I made it 'woohoo'. :D

So thanks a lot for this guide! And to all the people who helped making this work 100%, it must have taken a lot of time too.

did you do the standalone update and reinstall the kexts before restarting? i removed the sleepenabler and installed via software update and it panics on startup now.

Hoo-Ray! Never mind, I figured it out for myself. Was able to install the newer kexts remotely and it booted up fine after that. Yay for up to date system! And it only took me until right before 6.3 will be released. Better late then never. Thanks anyway, Fluffy.

• 2 weeks later...

E-sata question:

i attached an ultramax plus (esata) and bios finds it, but my 10.6 installation cannot see the drive unless is usb-connected.

E-sata seems not to work....maybe a missing kext?

Can anyone help me?

thanks

did you do the standalone update and reinstall the kexts before restarting? i removed the sleepenabler and installed via software update and it panics on startup now.

Hoo-Ray! Never mind, I figured it out for myself. Was able to install the newer kexts remotely and it booted up fine after that. Yay for up to date system! And it only took me until right before 6.3 will be released. Better late then never. Thanks anyway, Fluffy.

i ended up messing my perfect installation!!

no more boot!

system hangs at startup loading some kext (i addedd appleviaata,and maybe an older version of appleahciport in the /extra folder).

How can i overcome this??

E-sata question:

i attached an ultramax plus (esata) and bios finds it, but my 10.6 installation cannot see the drive unless is usb-connected.

E-sata seems not to work....maybe a missing kext?

Can anyone help me?

thanks

HALP! I don't know what happened but my system no longer boots the Chameleon loader. It goes - \ | / - \ | and freezes. All I did is add a secondary optical drive and a slave HDD for storage. I moved the drives to different bays and the cabling may have gotten changed to where the boot drive is connected to a different SATA port, but that shouldn't matter, should it? I tried doing a fresh install on a spare HDD and that doesn't boot either.

Please, if anyone knows what happened or can lend some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

HALP! I don't know what happened but my system no longer boots the Chameleon loader. It goes - \ | / - \ | and freezes. All I did is add a secondary optical drive and a slave HDD for storage. I moved the drives to different bays and the cabling may have gotten changed to where the boot drive is connected to a different SATA port, but that shouldn't matter, should it? I tried doing a fresh install on a spare HDD and that doesn't boot either.

Please, if anyone knows what happened or can lend some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

1.remove the new optical and disk, enter bios and see if the old optical (if was one) and disk is recognized, set the boot order to dvd,disk or put the disk first (try both ways) - this is the first logical and simple step

a.now if all good, try add the new optical and then the disk and vice-versa and then try both, if it worked with only one of them

b.if the 1 didn't worked to boot, try to boot with this...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CI5A6IV0

2.to be continued...

User_01,

When you gave your Kext suggestions back in post ~45+ were you starting with a complete SL using this recipe? I'm assuming that the installer script from the first recipe post does more than just bootloader and kexts. Does it install a necessary DSDT too?

Sorry for the newb question but how did you go about upgrading to your "all u need" kext sets? Did you run the RUN-PATCH_INSTALLER with your kext set in a key location? How do you remove the old and add the new?

Thanks

User_01,

When you gave your Kext suggestions back in post ~45+ were you starting with a complete SL using this recipe? I'm assuming that the installer script from the first recipe post does more than just bootloader and kexts. Does it install a necessary DSDT too?

Sorry for the newb question but how did you go about upgrading to your "all u need" kext sets? Did you run the RUN-PATCH_INSTALLER with your kext set in a key location? How do you remove the old and add the new?

Thanks

Okay..., I didn't want to do this here, because i assumed the first post was enough to properly do the install and i just added a simple package with (up to date "drivers"), and i also assumed that who was trying the tutorial from post one (once again, is a good tutorial to start with, but not the simplest way and the only way), was able to install those extensions (kexts), if they wanted to do so. So, if you asking those question, i'll take the time (not an issue) and put a NEW tutorial here (and i hope the starter of the topic will not get upset).

INTRODUCTION:

a. -the "things" you'll need to do this, will be provided in two links (see below), and all will be up to date-

b. -you'll only need one hard drive and an optical drive, no usb stick or cards or so-

c. -!!!-but, you'll need a running pc (with windows or linux) or a mac (maybe of a friend or so) to be able to download and write two img files on two dvds and one with data files (here you can use any other storage device, if you prefer, but i want to keep it with limited and most available resources you can get or have)-!!!-

---(or just one img, if you already have a retail copy of the snow leopard dvd purchased and want to use that, but you'll not be able to use it if you already have windows and want to dual boot, because windows installs native on a MBR partitioned disk and mac on a GUID partitioned, for that (to dual boot and to be able to install on a MBR partitioned disk) you'll need a "retail" copy changed a little, but not patched with other drivers or so, JUST the system files, some optionals, so it can fit on a sl-dvd (single layer) (practical), and install the rest of the optionals, if you need them or just because, from a real retail copy (dvd or img (dmg, iso, etc)---

---i'll not provide the link to download for a real retail copy or the other one (dvd5), of the snow leopard, here, but i can send link by private, if you'll ask to---(i was banned some months for something like that, that's why "User_02")

d. -no patch installer script here-

(all the things the script does, you'll be doing yourself, so next time you don't say: "i assume the patch installer script does that" )

e. -if you'll be using this, your mobo should be intel dx58so + core i7-

(but i'm not saying would won't work for others mobos with the same chipset and cpu)

TUTORIAL:

1. Get the img (cd-boot) and needed files from the links

2. Burn the img (cd-boot) to a dvd or cd, burn the needed files to another dvd or cd (or write them on a storage device, if you prefer so), burn the dvd5 snow to another dvd (ask for it) or use the retail copy (if you have one, on your own here)

3. Now, if you want to dual boot with windows, you need to make or have already one spare partition (partitioned ntfs). I'll not start teaching you how to do that (google it! and learn)

4. If you don't, and have a whole disk to spare and want to use it to install snow leopard on, skip the step with dual boot (3). When all set, insert the cd-boot and restart the pc or start the pc and insert your cd-boot

5. Wait a few seconds!

6. When chameleon 2 rc3 prompts, eject the cd-boot and now:

6a. --if dual booting, insert the dvd5 snow

6b. --if not, insert the retail copy

7. Wait a few seconds! Press F5 and then boot the dvd (if you want you can boot it with flag "-v", verbose mode)

8. Wait and be patient!

9. When installer screen appears, go to utilities, disk utility and format the partition or whole disk (depends on the 6a 6b case). Install. Be patient!

10. When done, restart! (at the end you'll receive an exclamation mark and a message, ignore and restart, it's all good)

11. Enter boot option menu F10 (right after it restarts)! Press shut down button (so the optical drive lets you eject the snow dvd). Power up! Enter boot option menu again F10. Eject snow dvd and insert cd-boot dvd. Boot optical drive.

12. Boot the partition with mac os x on it. (use "-v" flag again, if you want)

13. You'll not have video, audio, ethernet support; don't worry!

-Don't update yet!-

14. Eject the cd-boot. Insert the dvd or cd with needed files.

15. In this order:

-Install chameleon.

-Put the extensions folder, from needed files folder, in the extra folder (root -(where mac os x is installed)- partition), just copy it there.

-Install VoodooHDA.kext (audio), Intel85266MM.kext (ethernet), using "Kext Utility" (just put the kext over the KU icon) (the extensions don't work from "extra" folder)

EDIT!!! - new IntelE1000e.kext (ethernet)- see link 3

-Use EFI_Studio v1.1 for video strings. Use DSDT Patcher GUI for a dsdt.aml file (root partition)

EDIT!!! (with a proper dsdt.aml file you can "skip" 3 more kexts - more info post #108)

17. Eject the "needed files" dvd and restart.

18. Boot mac os x. Update to 10.6.2. Plus after 10.6.2. EDIT!!! - for 10.6.3 update use the new SleepEnabler.kext post #92 or see link 3 - for 10.6.4 update see posts #108 & #122

1. Install SleepEnabler.kext (use KU)

2. Install sleepwatcher 2.0.5

3. Make hidden files visible, go to root partition

4. Go to etc folder and modify rc. files or just replace with this already modified

5. Make files hidden again

20. Restart and boot again. That's it!

!!Suggestion: you can print the tutorial before start using it.!!

FILES:

1. cd-boot img

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CI5A6IV0

2. needed files

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YYKFEIH4

-link 2 with Kext Utility, minus PlatformUUID.kext

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C4EM5Z6E

-link 3 new lan kext, new sleep enabler kext

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OFU3UXOX

!!!

UPDATE: I've realized that i forgot to include the Kext Utility tool (KU) in the package. Here it is. (the last version, obviously)

(check below) (i'll leave it like this for a few days and then i'll include it in the pack and replace the link with a new one)

!!!

P.S.: If you want to delete a kext, go to root partition-system-library-extensions-move to trash the kext, restart (do a repair permissions from disk utility) (from "extra" folder the same way). To install to extra, just put the kext in Extensions folder; to install to s-l-e use KU.

Special dedication to jboehm.

THE END.

!!!OPTIONAL!!!(is a purely cosmetic/esthetic step, no matter what some people think (like Fluffy-Bunny), about this step or others similar (CPUinjector.kext it isn't a cosmetic way)

--!!--(with chameleon 2 rc4 you don't need the CPUinjector.kext anymore, because it has this feature, to detect the cpu, included in the bootloader)--!!--(read the thread, if you wonder, why it detects "intel-xeon" !)

--!!--you can remove the PlatformUUID.kext from extra-extensions too (with chameleon 2 rc4 not needed anymore)

21. Take the attached smbios.plist and put it in the extra folder for a better detection of the system in system profiler and about this mac. You can edit the memspeed for your own and type (24 is for ddr3, but i guess with this mobo you don't have to)

smbios.plist.zip

Kext_Utility.zip