[GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard Install On DX58SO (Core i7) Mobo

Juiceman

239 posts in this topic

Okinox,

I am running OS X 10.7.3 on the Intel DX58SO using the files supplied by User_01, who is a hero, quite successfully. I have uploaded screenshots of my bios screens and settings to this reply, I hope it helps you. These settings are working perfectly for me. I'm currently using the BIOS version 5561. As a starter you should check if you have enabled HPET and AHCI.

If you have any questions I'll be glad to try and help!

Dysphoria

dx58so bios.zip

Okinox,

My install was from an iAtkos L2 dvd, then updated to 10.7.3 and I used the files from User_01 from post: #218

I'm not quite sure about the blurry fonts but I think it might somehow be a combination of videocard and display. My girlfriend and I both have the same displays but different videocards, I have a GeForce 560 TI and the fonts look just fine, she has a Macbook Pro with an ATI card and it looks bad on the same display. You might want to check out "System Preferences -> General" There are options for LCD font smoothing, maybe that helps a bit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

First of all: Thx for your work User_01!

I have no issues with 10.7 but on some reasons I cannot install 10.8 on my DX58SO computer. 10.8 loads kexts and restarts computer. I had no problem to install 10.8 on DP43BF computer. It sounds for me like Xeon W3565 is not compatible with 10.8 or may be something is really wrong in BIOS.

If I try to install 10.8 on PC VMWare it gives me A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter the shutdown state. Again there is no problem to run 10.7 on PC VMWare. Not sure how to solve my problem. Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you in advance.

OS X M Lion 10.8 DP2 pack!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it has anything to do with the CPU itself. After all it's a similar Quad-Core (Bloomfield) CPU like W3520 (used by Apple in MacPro4,1), which is the equivalent of i7 920 (Desktop), only at a higher frequency, 3.2GHz (W3565; also used by Apple in MacPro5,1). So, this is not the issue for sure!

Now, i see, you are using the 5200 BIOS (correct if i'm wrong!). If you are using my dsdt.aml file, which was made (extracted/patched) from the latest 5561 BIOS, i'd suggest you upgrade to 5561. (Even if you are using just OS X Lion.) Or, extract/patch your own (use DSDT Editor/Patcher).

Regarding the OS X M Lion issue, install the "3kexts" (pack) to S/L/E and delete any dsdt file that you are using for OS X 10.8 (M Lion). See if it boots this way. Recommended boot loader Chameleon 2.1svn r1820! Also use a smbios.plist for MacPro5,1, maybe it helps even more. (the one in the pack is for MacPro4,1) If it boots, then create your own dsdt.aml file, and use the patches in the "Patches" folder (you can do this in Windows also; same way). Delete the "3kexts" afterwards. Report.

(recommended way to be doing this is on an empty "small" (hard) disk) (all necessary files (except smbios.plist MacPro5,1) are in the 10.8 DP2 pack)

Thank you very much for reply. I will try to update bios during the weekend as a first step. I am not sure that 5561 BIOS will work with my Apple video card but will try to put newer BIOS anyway and report progress.

Thank you once again.

I don't think it has anything to do with the CPU itself. After all it's a similar Quad-Core (Bloomfield) CPU like W3520 (used by Apple in MacPro4,1), which is the equivalent of i7 920 (Desktop), only at a higher frequency, 3.2GHz (W3565; also used by Apple in MacPro5,1). So, this is not the issue for sure!

Now, i see, you are using the 5200 BIOS (correct if i'm wrong!). If you are using my dsdt.aml file, which was made (extracted/patched) from the latest 5561 BIOS, i'd suggest you upgrade to 5561. (Even if you are using just OS X Lion.) Or, extract/patch your own (use DSDT Editor/Patcher).

Regarding the OS X M Lion issue, install the "3kexts" (pack) to S/L/E and delete any dsdt file that you are using for OS X 10.8 (M Lion). See if it boots this way. Recommended boot loader Chameleon 2.1svn r1820! Also use a smbios.plist for MacPro5,1, maybe it helps even more. (the one in the pack is for MacPro4,1) If it boots, then create your own dsdt.aml file, and use the patches in the "Patches" folder (you can do this in Windows also; same way). Delete the "3kexts" afterwards. Report.

(recommended way to be doing this is on an empty "small" (hard) disk) (all necessary files (except smbios.plist MacPro5,1) are in the 10.8 DP2 pack)

Update.

My computer did not boot with 5561 BIOS due to the Apple Video card. So I had to recover 5200 BIOS but after bios flashing and reflashing ML started to work. It works fine with Extra and dsdt from Lion and1976 boot.

Thank you very much once again for your help.

• 1 month later...

Tonight I'll attempt to upgrade my installation to the Mountain Lion GM! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

EDIT:

Success! Created a USB installer and selected my 10.7.4 install as destination. Rebooted and it worked....

First problem: I cannot open apps not from the app store. Trying to solve this I open the System Preferences and click the "Security & Privacy" pane to allow any apps to run. Only to find that System Preferences is now stuck at "Loading Security & Privacy". I don't know if any people are experiencing this but I worked around it by opening a terminal and trying to following:

I first tried this, which had no success:

sudo spctl --disable

After that I tried this and it looked like the systems were still active:

sudo spctl --status

Then I used this and I could open any App I wanted:

sudo spctl --master-disable

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey there! So Im fixing up the same system again, but this time I understand much more things than before (I seem so stupid now reading my own old posts..) :) I tried 2Part system - it worked, now im finishing Yours system with install from DVD's (with no Surgery partition), there were some problems, but i figured them out, now I'm stuck with weird thing, same as user S.V. I have not used Disabler.kext (he used NullCpuPower...) in this last attempt of making a system, because im using patched DSDT. Everything seems to be OK, but geekbench scores only ±5500, but when i put back Disabler.kext I get ±9000 score. What the hell is that? :) Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

If using a proper patched dsdt.aml file you don't need those kexts anymore. If you use them you'll not have native power management.

FOR EXTRACTING AND PATCHING YOUR OWN DSDT FILE, USE DSDT EDITOR/PATCHER (El Coniglio) (IS INCLUDED IN THE PACK ABOVE (#234))! WORKS FOR 10.5 (LEOPARD) 10.6 (SNOW LEOPARD) 10.7 (LION) 10.8 (MOUNTAIN LION)!

(delete any previous dsdt file, install the "3kexts" from pack to System/Library/Extensions, reboot, extract/patch the dsdt file, copy it to Extra folder, delete the "3kexts" from System/Library/Extensions, reboot)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Greetings,

This week I upgraded to 10.9 Mavericks with little trouble. I created a USB installer using the many guides on the forum and upgraded my 10.8.5 installation.

Notable things that broke:

10.9 seems to be running just fine!

Regards,

Dysphoria

• 2 weeks later...