[GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard Install On DX58SO (Core i7) Mobo

Juiceman

239 posts in this topic

This is a tutorial for installing a completely updatable retail copy of Snow Leopard on the Intel DX58SO. I have noticed that there are a lot of people with this board that would like to upgrade to Snow Leopard but you have to try and adapt other motherboard tutorials to this motherboard. This tutorial is completely for DX58SO it may work with other motherboards but I'm focusing just on this one.

I would first like to give thanks to digital_dreamer for his tutorial on the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 which is the major contributer for getting Snow Leopard working on the DX58SO, we are going to be using his patch installer which is tweaked slightly to accommodate the DX58SO motherboard, and here we go!

Before we start I just want to say that I have used this method on two Hackintosh's with the same specs using the same motherboard, and both installs went flawlessly, my specs are...

Intel DX58SO motherboard

Core i7 920 cpu

Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

6gb OCZ 1333 ram

-First of all you are going to want 2 hard drives, this doesn't mean 2 partions, but 2 physical hard drives, we will call the hardrive that will ultimately have SL on it your primary drive and we will call the other your secondary drive, this will have iAtkos or any other previous version of leopard on it.

-Now that you have 2 hardrives you will want to go to your motherboard bios and change a few things,

-Change CPU Cores to "1"

-Turn Hyperthreading Off

-Under the Advanced tab go to drive configuration and change IDE to AHCI

You will be able to turn your cores back to all and hyper threading back on after the install finishes.

-now you want to make sure that your secondary drive is set as your first boot drive in the boot order.

-You will want to proceed with installing iAtkos 5i on this drive, I use this because its an easy install, here is a short tutorial for getting this installed

http://www.hackint0sh.org/f181/72803.htm#post411526

-now that we have iAtkos installed we want to boot into Leopard. Make sure both drives are connected at this point, but use the Secondary drive as the first boot drive.

-Once booted into IAtkos insert your retail Snow Leopard DVD into your dvd drive or mount your iso to the desktop, The iso method is slightly faster.

-With the DX58SO Mobo Patcher, click RUN-PATCH_INSTALLER and type your password

RunPatchclean.jpg

-Now choose the primary hardrive where you want to install Snow Leopard, make sure you have formatted it with GUID Partion Table partion scheme in Disk Utitlity.

TargetVolume.png

- Next you will want to choose your install type, I choose EFI Partion

InstallType.png

-Now you will be at the main page where you can have a lot of fun customizing your install but first we should focus on getting SL installed and working.

MainScreen.png

-type 1 and press enter, this will go through the whole install process so you don't need to worry about forgetting something important

-You will now need to choose your bootloader, I choose Chameleon 2.0 RC3 since it now supports SL

- You will now be asked if you would like to set target partion as active, this is really for /extra install type but I choose yes anyway, this doesn't change anything because EFI has to be active partion

-Now if you have your retail SL DVD in your DVD drive or your ISO mounted it will open it up to start installing SL on your primary Hardrive, "IMPORTANT" make sure before you start installing the SL you click customize and unlick all of the extra installs, they will cause issues and your install will fail. you can install these after you have installed and booted into SL by opening your iso or dvd and clicking the optional installs folder then optional installs.mpkg

-after SL installs, you will want to continue with the patcher.

-The kext installer will now install all of the appropriate kext for the Intel DX58SO, if you want to add additional kext, navigate to the kexts_10.6 folder and add where you need them, you can find additional kext in the _repository folder inside each category, this is important if you are using a video card other than an Nvidia card.

-Now the installer should update boot caches automatically.

-The next step is the dsdt patcher, run this and you are practically done!

-Now the patcher should be done and you will want to test out your new system!

-Restart your computer, and change your hardrive boot order to boot the primary hardrive with your new SL install.

-you should be able to hear the music as it shows the flying words in other languages. More than likely your video will look choppy and ugly but at least you have sound with first boot!

-Fill out the required information, now you should be on your desktop.

-This step is for your video card, so that you can have full use of your video card including Quarts Extreme and Vram.

-Download the OSx86Toools below, and open it, click Add EFI String/Boot Flag then click GFX Strings at the top, now choose your graphics card, if your card is not in the list and you have a GeForce card click Custom GeForce, type your password and fill out appropriate information, after you have done this click Import String to Boot Editor at the top.

Screenshot2009-09-29at104459AM.jpg

Screenshot2009-09-29at104515AM.jpg

Screenshot2009-09-29at104528AM.jpg

-now you should see your string at the bottom but before you leave this page set any additional information you would like, I prefer to set my resolution. Now click Apply changes to com.apple.Boot.plist

Screenshot2009-09-29at104813AM.jpg

-Restart your computer and you should be fully up and running make sure to check system profiler to make sure your graphics card is fully operational.

-At this point you can go back to your bios and turn hyper threading back on as well as turning cores back to all.

This is a website that has a number of kext that are working on Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Kext's

And that is it! This is everything that I did to get my 2 systems up and running I hope that this helped some other DX58SO owner out there!

If you have any other questions or comments, im sure that they are answered or more thoroughly explained in digital_dreamers tutorial, this tutorial is adapted for the DX58SO motherboard.

digital_dreamers tutorial

I would like to give thanks to some people that made this whole install possible, and that have helped the Hackintosh Community in so many ways!

-digital_dreamer

-Chameleon team

-osx86tools team

and im sure many others but cant think of them at this moment.

These are the files you need to download to use this tutorial.

Intel DX58SO Mobo Patcher <----Updated 10/6/09

OSX86Tools

hey, i followed digital_dreamers guide a few days ago and it worked great all but the audio and LAN, so thanks so much for posting the specific DX58SO board patcher. my one question is if its imperative to make it a GUID partition table? i know OS X runs better on it, but i'm trying to do a multi-boot system with Windows and linux and from what i found they all work the best together on MBR. i used MBR when i did my first install and SL seems to be running fine on it, aside from the previously mentioned issues. i was just wondering if you were aware of any particular benefits or shortcomings of one vs the other. thanks much for any input.

hey, i followed digital_dreamers guide a few days ago and it worked great all but the audio and LAN, so thanks so much for posting the specific DX58SO board patcher. my one question is if its imperative to make it a GUID partition table? i know OS X runs better on it, but i'm trying to do a multi-boot system with Windows and linux and from what i found they all work the best together on MBR. i used MBR when i did my first install and SL seems to be running fine on it, aside from the previously mentioned issues. i was just wondering if you were aware of any particular benefits or shortcomings of one vs the other. thanks much for any input.

GUID

You can create partitions when ever you want delete them and then extend the partition(s) back to the way it was with out losing data...

MBR

You cant

It'll be more difficult to dual boot windows on a drive with a GUID partition scheme tho, so I'd suggest using a separate hard drive if you can, or MBR seems more user friendly towards that as you mentioned

One of the DX58SO hackintosh's I built is a dual boot of sl and windows 7, but in order to boot windows 7 through chameleon you have to change boot configuration in bios to IDE... so that is lame in that aspect, I didn't work towards solving that though, the computer was for a friend and he was fine with it.

I believe that MBR would be fine to use.

oh so OSX will recognize the partition as an IDE? i thought it had to be on AHCI. would it be able to run on a BIOS level raid? i'd ideally like to have 2 hdds in a raid 1 for backup purposes.

no, to boot windows 7 it has to be set for IDE, but for osx it has to be AHCI

Hello, I also have the DX58so and have been trying for 5 days now to get it installed. I had leopard running for months and ended up formating that also in trying to get SL to work. Im working from ideneb now to get sl installed if that matters for any of the problems im having.

When I use the DX motherboard patcher and choose EFI partition it goes right past the run kext/kernal installer to the DSDT patcher. If i click on the kext/kernal installer manually it tells me the boot loader was not installed. I can install it 10 more times and it still says it wasnt installed. It reads underneath that there is no extra directory on the drives-efi also. The efi drive it makes sits empty always.

When i choose system partition install, im able to run the kext/kernal installer but it reads there are no kernals present to install. I go to the installers kernal folder and there are several in there. If I knew what kernals to use, how and where to put them id do it myself at this point and not use the installer.

Does anyone have any idea why im having these dead ends on both installs? Ive tried what i feel has been every combination of things to get them to work the last few days. If its possible id prefer to manually place the kernals and kexts to get this to work. I did that with my leopard install a few months ago and it seemed a lot easier than using these installer programs.

I tried to just go back to leopard and move on but i cant even get that running again. I know i had to do a 5.7 combo update along with the other kexts and bootloaders but every time i open any kind of update on ideneb it crashes it. So im unable to install it on my leopard drive. I cant remember how i got the update installed. I know that the update is critical for leopard to work on an i7 board supposedly. I always saw it listed as Graphics update on peoples lists of needed files for getting leopard to work. Unless i mixed it up with something else.

thanks for any help

Hello, I also have the DX58so and have been trying for 5 days now to get it installed. I had leopard running for months and ended up formating that also in trying to get SL to work. Im working from ideneb now to get sl installed if that matters for any of the problems im having.

When I use the DX motherboard patcher and choose EFI partition it goes right past the run kext/kernal installer to the DSDT patcher. If i click on the kext/kernal installer manually it tells me the boot loader was not installed. I can install it 10 more times and it still says it wasnt installed. It reads underneath that there is no extra directory on the drives-efi also. The efi drive it makes sits empty always........

I have updated the DX58SO mobo patcher, this is the full patcher with required set up for the DX58SO, this will hopefully work for you this time.

-Juiceman

Hello Juiceman.

First of all i do want to say thanks for the guide, reading it, and the other guides makes me understand this whole process a little better (im a bit new to the hackitosh world myself).

However, i seem to be encountering the exact same issue as dcicconejr, even with the updated installer. it didnt seem to do anything at all, the EFI partition looks to be completely clean, and the installer doesnt seem like its installing any of the kext's at all (just like the previous user)

Ive tried every option i could, i think i have reformatted my drive and started the whole process over at least 20 some odd times. im running the exact same setup as you are, even down to the ram brand. Ive followed every instruction to the letter, and i cannot get the installer to run the kext patcher/installer at all, as it keeps telling me that a boot loader isnt installed (with an extra message that there isnt a /extra in the EFI directory).

The furthest i ever got was when i ran the process on another mac (using my hdd with an enclosure) but when i try to boot after that i get a wall of text (im assuming its trying to load) and then at the very end it just reloads a message that says "waiting for root device". i was reading in the digital dreamers install about manually copying over the kexts but i do not know which ones to use.

I am now bound and determined to get this to work, as i have just spent the entirety of my day (and work and home) trying to get this to work :(. Any advice on where to go from here?

to branman200 and dcicconejr, when using the installer i'm using the /Extra system partition. it lets me install the os and then install the kexts. also when you get to the kext installs, as per digital_dreamers tutorial, for all of the kexts that are just i386 hit the number of the kext and enter. it will change the install location to the System folder

my system is up and running, even my gtx 275 graphics works out of box with the NVkush (model not recognized in about this mac but accelerated graphics and dual display working), however the audio and ethernet are still being problematic

hope this helps you progress a little farther, and hopefully juiceman can give us some more insight to get all our rigs working perfectly

Still not having any luck even after the update and even after changing the i386 kexts to system and the rest to extra on the installer. The bottom of the kexts page still reads that there are no kernels to install...is that normal? The bootloader doesnt even come up, i have to use chameleon cd. And when i select the snow leopard install it brings me to a screen saying errors, kernal trap, mac os version unknown among other things. The word kernel is all over the place. How can there be such variation between this program and the same MB as other people? My bios is up to date as well. Ive formatted the drives im using 50 times down to making them free space again to make sure the 200mb of efi space were formatted. Anyone have any other suggestions or know how to manually add the files to get this to work? This board has been nothing but problems for installing Leopard and SL.

As for the internet and sound, I read either at this site or at some other that there is a 64 bit voodoo sound kext working now for the board. You might go to the sites that made the two kexts that worked for it on leopard. They may have made sl versions now. I was figuring on whatever year i got the os working id swap the files either manually or with this installer.

Still not having any luck even after the update and even after changing the i386 kexts to system and the rest to extra on the installer. The bottom of the kexts page still reads that there are no kernels to install...is that normal? The bootloader doesnt even come up, i have to use chameleon cd. And when i select the snow leopard install it brings me to a screen saying errors, kernal trap, mac os version unknown among other things. The word kernel is all over the place. How can there be such variation between this program and the same MB as other people? My bios is up to date as well. Ive formatted the drives im using 50 times down to making them free space again to make sure the 200mb of efi space were formatted. Anyone have any other suggestions or know how to manually add the files to get this to work? This board has been nothing but problems for installing Leopard and SL.

As for the internet and sound, I read either at this site or at some other that there is a 64 bit voodoo sound kext working now for the board. You might go to the sites that made the two kexts that worked for it on leopard. They may have made sl versions now. I was figuring on whatever year i got the os working id swap the files either manually or with this installer.

^^ it goes without saying really, but im having the exact same issues. Im suprised i still have hair on my head after the last few days. I even tried to use the orignal digital dreamers patcher then load the kexts from this installer. I was suprised to find out they were almost the same... but it didnt matter because the orignal digiatal dreamers patcher runs the exact same way. Im running all of this off of Iakatos.

When i restart, i dont even get kenal panics. If i use the /extra system, it will give me the boot 0 error and if i use the /system then it will black out my screen, then i have to restart my machiene, then my computer beeps 3 times and tries to reset the BIOS due to some unknown error.

ok, im sure youve gone over this many times over, but just a quick a few questions:

- in the bios, are the HDDs set to AHCI? if not this will cause the boot 0 error

- are you trying to install from the DVD or an iso?

- are you installing from a secondary computer or a second hard drive on the same computer, and if so what distro

- is the HDD youre installing SL on totally blank or are there other partitions on it?

it should still work regardless of most of this, but im just trying to figure out what might be going on

oh, one other thing. when i run the script i dont click 1 to run the whole setup automatically, i do 2-6 individually, making sure they finish before starting the next. when i ran 1 the first few times it had started the SL installer in 4 but the script went right on to 5 to install kexts, didnt see any, went to 6 and tried to run dsdt patcher, all before i had installed the os

ok, im sure youve gone over this many times over, but just a quick a few questions:

- in the bios, are the HDDs set to AHCI? if not this will cause the boot 0 error

- are you trying to install from the DVD or an iso?

- are you installing from a secondary computer or a second hard drive on the same computer, and if so what distro

- is the HDD youre installing SL on totally blank or are there other partitions on it?

it should still work regardless of most of this, but im just trying to figure out what might be going on

oh, one other thing. when i run the script i dont click 1 to run the whole setup automatically, i do 2-6 individually, making sure they finish before starting the next. when i ran 1 the first few times it had started the SL installer in 4 but the script went right on to 5 to install kexts, didnt see any, went to 6 and tried to run dsdt patcher, all before i had installed the os

yes, all hdds are set to ahci. i tried installing from both, i have an iso and the disk. im installing to a second hdd on my computer, and im using Iaktos 10.5.5 (says i5 on the dvd). Im constantly wiping the hdd every time i try an install, so its completely blank. im also doing the install manually because it will not work at all if i do the auto setup.

Tried a few more times for {censored} and grins, and still nada. Studing to be an electrical engineer, you would have thought that i would have learned the definition of insanity already. >.<

oh, one other thing that i forgot to menton. When i reformatted the drive in disk util i formatted to a MBR. I know GUID you can resize and move and all, but i know i wont. i was having some boot 0 issues when i did the GUID format as well.

Hey whats up guys,

I think that I have figured out some of you issues that have to deal with audio and ethernet not working. I just uploaded a new version of the patcher with kext for audio and ethernet that are currently working on Snow Leopard.

This is the site I grabbed the kext's from

Snow Leopard Kext's

Hopefully this helps some of you

OK so i got up and running on snow leopard. I can actually install one to a drive in like 10 minutes now it seems. So while there were a number of things that could have been causing my problems, heres what i think it was.

I was trying to use the DX58SO install patch from a 5.6 version of iDeneb. For whatever reason i think you need to be on an updated iDeneb or updated vanilla Leopard to do this SL Patch install properly. I originally had a up to date vanilla Leopard a week ago before i made 500 SL attempts. I finally got things working by updating iDeneb with the software update. I didn't even think i could do this without crashing it. In order to build a vanilla Leopard on this board you need to install a 5.7 or above update to the leopard drive your building. Every time i would download the stand alone install pack from the apple site iDeneb would crash. Once i updated iDeneb i could then download the update and then do the remote install to my other vanilla leopard drive. Once i had the leopard drive done i ran the install pack.

The other problem i think i was having was that i was hitting enter and skipping over some things in the install pack. On some of the settings you just press the number or letter you want and on some settings you have to press enter. Juice has also updated the sound and internet and it was a pleasant surprise to have those working from the first SL boot up. The grain of my sanity i have left thanks you for that. My only issue now that ive already been working on for a day is my 4870x2 ati card thats not working. Im stuck at one default ratio and the netkas 10.6.1 update for this card just seems to cause a never ending spinning wheel on boot up. I keep using a stand alone 6.1 update on my second SL drive to make my test one bootable again. Im reading 30 different options to try between here and the netkas site. According to Digital Dreamer on another guide page, it should work with the netkas 6.1 and ATY_Init.kext.

So to summarize this rambling ...... using this installer from a up to date vanilla leopard seemed to solve all my problems.

thanks for all the help! Anyone else have a 4870 card and know what to do?

SUCCESS! finally got everything up and working! audio, ethernet, graphics, well graphics i never did the updated EFI string so it doesnt display the proper model in about this mac, but it gives me dual display and full accel. graphics so im not gonna mess. Thanks so much to everyone for your help.

The new audio kexts juiceman provided still didnt work for mine oddly enough, but after countless tries scrounging around different boards and trying different versions i found one that worked for me, I'm attaching it in case anyone else has been having such problems. i just used the b7 kext helper to install. to make sure it installed correctly i deleted the three files from S/L/E, repaired permissions, installed, repaired permissions again and then rebooted. dont know if you need to do it but id do it that way to stay on the safe side. hope this helps anyone else that was having audio woes

working audio - Working_Audio_Kexts.zip

Okay, i used a brand new Imac to format my hdd and install snowleopard to. its fully updated and everything (the Imac). this time the install actaully worked, and i was able to pull up the boot loader, but i cant do anything from there. single user mode loads up to a point, then reloads the message "still wating for the root device". normal mode wont run at all, i get the apple symbol with a circle and a line over it. >.< im stuck.

Anyone got any ideas?

Okay folks. After a weekend's graft I got Snow working on my DX58SO in 64 bit, and I thought I might share my experiences. I spent a lot of time working out steps 2 and 3 below!

I went out and bought EXACTLY the same hardware as Juiceman.

1. I installed iAtkos 5i as per juiceman's instructions - worked first time.

2. I did not get the Snow Leopard installer to work until I ensured that the target drive for the Snow Install was on Sata port 0. On your Mobo SATA port zero is the one that is closest to the CPU. Up until then I kept getting 'Boot1: Error' messages. You'll know it is going to work when your target drive appears first in the list for HFS formatted target volumes on the patcher script.

3. In order to get 64bit network support, I replaced all the copies of 82566mm.kext in the dx58 mobo patcher with a 64bit compiled version from Dvl (see post #5 in this forum):

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/intel-ether...w-anyone-t3829/

3. On the DX58 Mobo patcher script, I ran the items 2-6 individually, so that I could ensure that each step executed correctly.

4. I used install type : system partition, Chameleon 2 RC3, and then followed Juiceman's instructions to the letter.

As a result I have 64 bit mode, video sound and networking all working okay. System reports 4 cores and 6 gigs memory. I've yet to install critical apps but it all looks sweet so far.

Out of interest I have snow leopard running on an AData 12Gig RAM boot drive - booting from silicon is insanely fast!

Thanks again to Juiceman, DD, and everyone on the insanelymac forum

Okay folks. After a weekend's graft I got Snow working on my DX58SO in 64 bit, and I thought I might share my experiences. I spent a lot of time working out steps 2 and 3 below..... etc...

hell yeah! glad to hear you got it working for you