Radeon HD 5870 / HD 5850

ixxxion

614 posts in this topic

If this is a stupid question please forgive me, but I've been trying to do my research and my head is frankly spinning.

I've got a 5870 card on an Asus P7P55D PRO motherboard that I'm hoping to make dual boot Win 7 / Snow Leopard. When I played with this a month or so ago I was unable to get the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] / Snow Leopard installer to run (got the famous black screen / graphics card fan running at full blast problem).

I'd love to try these new kexts but was wondering it that is possible without already having a running system using a different graphics card? Is there a particular method of doing the installation so I can at least get to the point where I can make use of the kexts?

Thanks very much in advance.

-David

Heyyo,

Anyone find a fix for the kernel panic with the x3000 kext? I'm working with a 5870 on an i7 hackintosh and nothing seems to work. I can start with -x, but obviously that doesnt help.

Wait for Netkas to fully get it all working.. I don't know if he got QE/CI working. I know he did with the framebuffer.. so hold off on the x3000 or post a reg dump in the thread linked a page back or so.

If this is a stupid question please forgive me, but I've been trying to do my research and my head is frankly spinning.

I've got a 5870 card on an Asus P7P55D PRO motherboard that I'm hoping to make dual boot Win 7 / Snow Leopard. When I played with this a month or so ago I was unable to get the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] / Snow Leopard installer to run (got the famous black screen / graphics card fan running at full blast problem).

I'd love to try these new kexts but was wondering it that is possible without already having a running system using a different graphics card? Is there a particular method of doing the installation so I can at least get to the point where I can make use of the kexts?

-David

Just incase it's your DVD Drive I'd recommend installing snow leopard via USB drives. Worked well for me. Just use win32img to mount each image to two USB drives (a small one for [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or use a CD, and one that's at least 8GB for Snow Leopard).. so if you don't have a .iso of Snow Leopard you will need to make one from your retail dvd.

Otherwise? you can try booting to your Snow Leopard dvd from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] using -x -f -v and see what happens.

Am I doing this right?

I have an i7 920, and a 5870. 10.6.4 32-bit

I plan on installing aty_init.kext

along with all the kexts, bundles, and plugins

that were in netkas's download?

netkas said something about disable graphicsenabler,

so in com.apple.boot.plist, under graphicsenabler, I just change the "yes" to a "no"?

was there something about x3000 kext, thats causing a panic, should I not install that?

another side question... should I install these into /system or /extra?

Great! I'll wait for your report on that

PS: sorry for the sarcasm in the previous post, but sometimes you see people who just doesn't care to help themselves, and want someone else to do it

Well I guess I'm not one of them :censored2:

But before I begin: Isn't there anyway I can boot into OSX (safe mode) with my 5850 so I can install the kext and perform the update? You can always boot into OSX on a (yet) unsupported graphics card in V mode right?, because now it won't let me boot at all (tried -v, arch=i386, etc.) It's quite a pain to swith graphics cards that's why I'm asking...

Heyyo,

Am I doing this right?

I have an i7 920, and a 5870. 10.6.4 32-bit

I plan on installing aty_init.kext

along with all the kexts, bundles, and plugins

that were in netkas's download?

netkas said something about disable graphicsenabler,

so in com.apple.boot.plist, under graphicsenabler, I just change the "yes" to a "no"?

You are correct sir. you need 10.6.4 32bit, and set GraphicsEnabler to No.

was there something about x3000 kext, thats causing a panic, should I not install that?

Don't install that. First, test with aty_init.kext.. if that works and it shows your vidcard info in System profiler? then try ati5000controller.kext, atisupport.kext and atiframebuffer.kext... if those three work? THEN try x3000 and the rest and pray they work.. if they do? you got framebuffer and full QE/CI. ;)

another side question... should I install these into /system or /extra?

most people are reccomending /system but you should be able to test it all in /extra (which is safer, so if the kext cause a kernel panic you can just use a chameleon boot cd (like [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]) to remove the bad /extra kexts... just be sure to move the atisupport.kext and atiframebuffer.kext from your /system folder to somewhere else during testing or just delete them.

Well I guess I'm not one of them :P

But before I begin: Isn't there anyway I can boot into OSX (safe mode) with my 5850 so I can install the kext and perform the update? You can always boot into OSX on a (yet) unsupported graphics card in V mode right?, because now it won't let me boot at all (tried -v, arch=i386, etc.) It's quite a pain to swith graphics cards that's why I'm asking...

yeah, you should be able to boot with unsupported vidcard.. my lappy with ati radeon 5650 mobility boots fine just no proper screen res and such... did it work before and randomly stop working? or did it only work during the Snow Leopard install?

Well I guess I'm not one of them ;)

Did you try single user mode (-s) ?

yeah, you should be able to boot with unsupported vidcard.. my lappy with ati radeon 5650 mobility boots fine just no proper screen res and such... did it work before and randomly stop working? or did it only work during the Snow Leopard install?

Well here's the problem: I installed OSX with a Nvidia Geforce 6600GT. I was surprised I immediatly had the right resolution and QE/CI (no kexts!). I used that old card because the 5850 was not supported at the time. It didn't function properly because booting from my HDD would only work in -v mode, booting with the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD went without any problems (full HD, QE/CI on my 6600GT) strangely enough. So I had OSX working for some time but then I heard about this breakthrough in Radeon 58XX support. So I took out my 6600GT and booted OSX with my 5850. But now it won't let me boot at all, not in -v mode and not with the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd. Now when I try to boot it first loads some lines in Chameleon and then just gives me a black screen followed by 'no input'

Did you try single user mode (-s) ?

haven't try'ed that one, so I will have to go with something like this:

-v arch=i386 -s

EDIT: nope, didn't work for me. Does anyone think it is possible OSX is still asking for my 6600GT because OSX was set up with that? Maybe it doesn't realize i want to boot with my 5850 now. That seems likely to me because it doesn't just crash during boot but it also says no input.

Working great for me! I just have to type 'arch=i386 -f -v' every time I boot.

Tryed that and it did seem to do something but unfortunately not enough :)

Now it starts with loading kexts and all sorts of files for a pretty long time. After that I get a no input again...

EDIT: Tryed this:

Graphicsenabler=no -v -f

Same result, no boot :D

Well I guess I'm going for a fresh OSX install tomorrow. In that way I hope it will forget about the 6600GT and I can work on making the 5850 compatible from the start. The install I now have is pretty untouched anyway.

Heyyo,

The reason you get full QE/CI with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] on your 6600GT is it uses GraphicsEnabler=Yes to inject the 6600GT's info into OSX so it uses the original nvidia kext's for OSX. Since the ATI 5000 series isn't fully supported (yet) by Chameleon bootloader or aty_init.kext it's pretty much keep testing the new aty_init.kext and hope for the best. You probably do need to do a fresh install since you're having such problems. When you used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] btw.. did you use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported? or did you use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] nVidia or ATi?

-David

I used pcefi because i had the same problem that you are having now and it worked

I got a 5970 delivered today after reading about all this great new progress over the weekend and placing my order.

I've got it working on my i7 hackintosh using netkas' method but with the 5970 in I get some very strange behaviour in OSX. Finder, Safari, System Preferences and Activity Monitor all stall and give me "Application Not Responding" when I right click their icon in the dock.

Finder works for a little while before bugging out and beachballing. Safari starts and works on some pages but on others it fails. For example, if I go to the macrumors homepage, it starts loading but freezes and beachballs before the two side columns can be rendered. System Preferences and the Activity Monitor don't start. No window comes up, they appear to be running in the dock but right clicking gives the not responding status.

Replacing the 5970 with my old 4870 (and leaving all the kexts etc that I installed to get the 5970 working in place) fixes everything.

I got a 5970 delivered today after reading about all this great new progress over the weekend and placing my order.

I've got it working on my i7 hackintosh using netkas' method but with the 5970 in I get some very strange behaviour in OSX. Finder, Safari, System Preferences and Activity Monitor all stall and give me "Application Not Responding" when I right click their icon in the dock.

Finder works for a little while before bugging out and beachballing. Safari starts and works on some pages but on others it fails. For example, if I go to the macrumors homepage, it starts loading but freezes and beachballs before the two side columns can be rendered. System Preferences and the Activity Monitor don't start. No window comes up, they appear to be running in the dock but right clicking gives the not responding status.

Replacing the 5970 with my old 4870 (and leaving all the kexts etc that I installed to get the 5970 working in place) fixes everything.

What exactly did you install, and what did you leave out? And in what order...?

I have the same card as you, and havent got it up and running yet.

What exactly did you install, and what did you leave out? And in what order...?

I have the same card as you, and havent got it up and running yet.

I installed netkas' aty_init file, installed the 5xxx drivers (with my dev-id added to ati5000controller.kext), disabled graphicsenabler, set the kernel to 32-bit mode, repaired permissions, ran kext utility, powered off and put in the 5970 and booted up to find the weird problems. Putting the 4870 back in instead of the 5970 results in normal behaviour.

I installed netkas' aty_init file, installed the 5xxx drivers (with my dev-id added to ati5000controller.kext), disabled graphicsenabler, set the kernel to 32-bit mode, repaired permissions, ran kext utility, powered off and put in the 5970 and booted up to find the weird problems. Putting the 4870 back in instead of the 5970 results in normal behaviour.

So you just edited the Info.plist file inside the ati5000controller.kext (before runnning kext utility) right?

That was at least what I did.

So you just edited the Info.plist file inside the ati5000controller.kext (before runnning kext utility) right?

That was at least what I did.

Yup. I forgot about the graphicsenabler part at first so it didn't work straight away. I also have to unplug my monitor and plug it in again (sometimes into the other dvi port) for it to display after going through Chameleon. That's a problem I initially had with my 4870s too but setting Chameleon to use my native resolution itself fixed it. Alas my resolution is not in the 5970's list of VESA resolutions (2560x1600) so this trick no longer works and I have to unplug and replug instead.

Yup. I forgot about the graphicsenabler part at first so it didn't work straight away. I also have to unplug my monitor and plug it in again (sometimes into the other dvi port) for it to display after going through Chameleon. That's a problem I initially had with my 4870s too but setting Chameleon to use my native resolution itself fixed it. Alas my resolution is not in the 5970's list of VESA resolutions (2560x1600) so this trick no longer works and I have to unplug and replug instead.

I may still be having those weird issues but I've just given Steam a try. HL2 is silky smooth. I know HL2 isn't exactly the most modern of games but my 4870 struggled to get it smooth at 2560x1600 in OSX. With the 5970 (obviously only half of it is working in OSX) I can run it with all the settings at max, including AA and AE at max. Nice! Shame I can't use the rest of my OS with the 5970 in!!

Can someone with working 5870 running on a Hackintosh run an Io Registry Report and attach it?

I am still trying to figure out how to make 5xxx series cards work on the Old School Macs that were "Designed in California" by Apple Mobile Devices, Inc.

Io Registry Explorer is part of Dev toolkit.

It takes under a second to run, then you can save and zip and attach.

Might be helpful.

Spanky, FWIW, when I have the 5870 running POORLY in Mac Pro, I have same Safari issue, won't finish loading a page. System Pref's won't open.

Will be interesting when 10.6.5 seeds start coming out...hopefully with OpenGl & driver fixes.

My system is workiing great but every time I reboot the system I need to unplug and then plug my monitor.

My resolution is 1900x1200 Dell 24" monitor and sapphire 5870. Motherboard Gigabyte p55ud3r i7 860.

Could you please explain me how to set chameleon to use my native resolution in order to fix this annoying unplug-plug problem. Other than that my system works perfect.

Thanks in advance.

Excuse my poor English I am trying to improve it everyday...

Can someone with working 5870 running on a Hackintosh run an Io Registry Report and attach it?

I am still trying to figure out how to make 5xxx series cards work on the Old School Macs that were "Designed in California" by Apple Mobile Devices, Inc.

Io Registry Explorer is part of Dev toolkit.

It takes under a second to run, then you can save and zip and attach.

Might be helpful.

Spanky, FWIW, when I have the 5870 running POORLY in Mac Pro, I have same Safari issue, won't finish loading a page. System Pref's won't open.

Will be interesting when 10.6.5 seeds start coming out...hopefully with OpenGl & driver fixes.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad it doesn't look like it's just me or just a problem with my card. It does look like there are some issues with the drivers still, probably a kext compatibility problem or something. If an ioreg dump from a 5970 would help you then let me know and I'll pop the card back in.

My system is workiing great but every time I reboot the system I need to unplug and then plug my monitor.

My resolution is 1900x1200 Dell 24" monitor and sapphire 5870. Motherboard Gigabyte p55ud3r i7 860.

Could you please explain me how to set chameleon to use my native resolution in order to fix this annoying unplug-plug problem. Other than that my system works perfect.

Thanks in advance.

Excuse my poor English I am trying to improve it everyday...

Sure. You'll need to edit your com.apple.Boot.plist file in your Extra folder and add the lines:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

That should do the trick provided your video card's BIOS has the resolution in it's VESA section. I do wonder if there's a way to edit the resolutions stored in the BIOS to add 2560x1600 and others.

Hello guys,

I have a Club3D 5850, Gigabyte p55m-ud2 and a intel core i5 750, does anybody know

if this setup is OSX compatible (I was searching on some sites but I couldnt find the right info).

And if it is, could somebody please tell me how. I really want an OSX dualboot :P

Yes it should be. My motherboard is the same you own, core i7860 and sapphire hd5850 and everthing is working fine here. Download ATY_Init.Kext and drivers.tar.bz2 from netkas.org. Just use kextHelper to install all kexts. Disable graphics enabler and boot in 32bits.

You should be able to dump the BIOS in Windows and add that resolution to it, then reflash.