Radeon HD 5870 / HD 5850

ixxxion

614 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

You could get a cheaper card just to use with OSX for work etc. That's how I solved it.

I have a 5850 that I use for games when I'm on windows and a 4350 for OSX. One graphics card in each PCIE slot.

Everything's working fine, except for one thing. When I start OSX, using the 4350, the 5850 fan for some reason starts to go on maximum and resulting in my computer sounding like a jet engine :thumbsup_anim:

Is there any way to disable my 5850 for when I'm on OSX? I considered simply pulling out the external power cables to the 5850, but I'm not sure if that'd work or if that in some way would mess up my card.

Any one knows what happens if you run without the external power to the graphics card? Would that safely shut it up? :(

If anyone has any more convenient suggestions I'd be grateful.

You could get a cheaper card just to use with OSX for work etc. That's how I solved it.

I have a 5850 that I use for games when I'm on windows and a 4350 for OSX. One graphics card in each PCIE slot.

Everything's working fine, except for one thing. When I start OSX, using the 4350, the 5850 fan for some reason starts to go on maximum and resulting in my computer sounding like a jet engine B)

Is there any way to disable my 5850 for when I'm on OSX? I considered simply pulling out the external power cables to the 5850, but I'm not sure if that'd work or if that in some way would mess up my card.

Any one knows what happens if you run without the external power to the graphics card? Would that safely shut it up? :)

Use a Chamelon that doesn't detect the videocards this way it would disregard it. The original version with no mods RC4 Chamelon. But it's not worth running two because you can only use one operating system at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything's working fine, except for one thing. When I start OSX, using the 4350, the 5850 fan for some reason starts to go on maximum and resulting in my computer sounding like a jet engine :(

Any one knows what happens if you run without the external power to the graphics card? Would that safely shut it up? ;)

Plugging out the power of your HD5850 doesnt help because my computer starts to beep like mad.

Here is how I solved it: My Gigabyte GA-P55 UD3 gives me the possbility to change the main PCI-E Slot (PEG1, PEG2 or AutoPCI)

In the first slot I have my HD5850 (in PCI-E 16x)

In the second slot I have an old XT1900.

In OSX the XT1900 has to be enabled with EFI String and in apple.bootlist the GraphicEnabler is set to NO. (don't forget to repair the permissions)

This makes the HD5850 to switch in a much lower fan speed.

In W7 you have to disable the XT1900 card in System and reinstall eventually the drivers.

Right now when I choose to change from W7 to OSX I startup the PC in the BIOS and choose PEG2 and second Harddisk (my OSX DISC) and F10 Save and Reboot

When I change from OSX to W7. I change in BIOS to PEG1 an first HD (W7) and reboot.

Actually XT1900 works with QE/CI but not Dualscreen

Thats it.

But hopefully sometime we get suppport for HD5850

hey guys im new to these forums, and for some reason it wont let me create topics :D

but anyway, my question is related to this topic so I thought I might ask...

i currently have a gts 250 (which I know is compatible with hackintosh), and Im planning on building a new pc with a 5870. The motherboard will have 2 pci-e slots. I was wondering could I just insert the 250 into the second slot, install OSX on one hard drive, and then put the 5870 in the first slot for use in windows? Im guessing all I would have to do is switch the dvi cables to switch between the two OS's. Would this work though? I saw a few earlier post stating that they use 2 cards in their systems. Or was I reading that wrong and you guys actually take the card out physically?

How did you guys get this to work?

Heyyo,

hey guys im new to these forums, and for some reason it wont let me create topics :D

but anyway, my question is related to this topic so I thought I might ask...

i currently have a gts 250 (which I know is compatible with hackintosh), and Im planning on building a new pc with a 5870. The motherboard will have 2 pci-e slots. I was wondering could I just insert the 250 into the second slot, install OSX on one hard drive, and then put the 5870 in the first slot for use in windows? Im guessing all I would have to do is switch the dvi cables to switch between the two OS's. Would this work though? I saw a few earlier post stating that they use 2 cards in their systems. Or was I reading that wrong and you guys actually take the card out physically?

How did you guys get this to work?

One guy linked back a page a few guys that have had luck mixing same brand cards, not nvidia and ATi afaik..

something like THIS http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=139016 should be the one to try for

Try your luck man, might work for ya. ;)

I also saw that yes.. 10.6.4 beta currently doesn't have support.. no ati5800controller.kext or anything yet. :)

I read earlier in this thread some of you guys were getting higher res than 1024 x 768 with your ATI 5xxx's, all I can get with my 5870 is 1024 x 768, no other setting :( although I am happy I got my 5870 to work with 10.6.3 I would love to get a higher res, like 1920 x 1200? Is this possible with some sort of hack or editing some file ? Or is it impossible without proper drivers ??

Plugging out the power of your HD5850 doesnt help because my computer starts to beep like mad.

Here is how I solved it: My Gigabyte GA-P55 UD3 gives me the possbility to change the main PCI-E Slot (PEG1, PEG2 or AutoPCI)

In the first slot I have my HD5850 (in PCI-E 16x)

In the second slot I have an old XT1900.

In OSX the XT1900 has to be enabled with EFI String and in apple.bootlist the GraphicEnabler is set to NO. (don't forget to repair the permissions)

This makes the HD5850 to switch in a much lower fan speed.

In W7 you have to disable the XT1900 card in System and reinstall eventually the drivers.

Right now when I choose to change from W7 to OSX I startup the PC in the BIOS and choose PEG2 and second Harddisk (my OSX DISC) and F10 Save and Reboot

When I change from OSX to W7. I change in BIOS to PEG1 an first HD (W7) and reboot.

Actually XT1900 works with QE/CI but not Dualscreen

Thats it.

But hopefully sometime we get suppport for HD5850

ok, so when you say "much lower fan speed", how much lower???

I mean, is it still audible?? anoying? not for working??

still, I'm really happy to see this alternative coming to life

ok, so when you say "much lower fan speed", how much lower???

I mean, is it still audible?? anoying? not for working??

still, I'm really happy to see this alternative coming to life

Well the hd5850 is still audible, i suppose that it is at minimum required speed to cool down the card when in "stand-by" mode while computer is on, because the system is a bit louder than with the HD5850 taken out, but it is far a way from being a jet engine. My old G5 I still have at home with an ATI 9800 (i think) is louder. Anyway, if HD5xxx is not supported soon I will eventually go for a passive OSX card, because the X1900 is really loud.

Well the hd5850 is still audible, i suppose that it is at minimum required speed to cool down the card when in "stand-by" mode while computer is on, because the system is a bit louder than with the HD5850 taken out, but it is far a way from being a jet engine. My old G5 I still have at home with an ATI 9800 (i think) is louder. Anyway, if HD5xxx is not supported soon I will eventually go for a passive OSX card, because the X1900 is really loud.

Hi man!!! I've Ati HD 5670 1GB, can I found kext for this card or not?? if I haven't any text for graphic card i'll work slowly?? sorry for my bad english!!!

Heyyo,

@zlatan87cb: Yes. Without a proper Kext for your videocard it will not work for hardware acceleration. So stuff like 720P and 1080P movies will have problems running, especially fast forward or jumping parts.. only old 2D games will work, and even then not a guarantee (so Steam for Mac won't work at the moment).. just stuff like that.. and you will probably be stuck at a bad screen resolution like the rest of us at 1024x768 even with "Graphics Mode"= stuff in chameleon. :rolleyes:

Heyyo,

@zlatan87cb: Yes. Without a proper Kext for your videocard it will not work for hardware acceleration. So stuff like 720P and 1080P movies will have problems running, especially fast forward or jumping parts.. only old 2D games will work, and even then not a guarantee (so Steam for Mac won't work at the moment).. just stuff like that.. and you will probably be stuck at a bad screen resolution like the rest of us at 1024x768 even with "Graphics Mode"= stuff in chameleon. :)

ok thanks man, i'm searching for buy a video card very performance and with full compatibility with snow leopard, which card can I choose?? I prefer ati video card because many people says that ati is the best...

Heyyo,

Yeah I doubt you can get an nvidia 400 series vidcard to go in mac yet cause it's so new but you can easily get a 200 series going:

http://netkas.org/?p=105

So a GTX260 in Mac OS would be pimp.. it's what I'm running in my tower. I'm contemplating buying another hdd and keep it out of my raid array so I could run hackintosh on my tower flawlessly as I wait another few months for hackintosh to work on my lappy ok.

ok thanks a lot, but video card must be nvidia?? because i've seen on ebay Twintech GeForce GT 240 1GB GDDR3 at 80 euro...its good??

I've found this card on pixmania, i prefer ati 4850 1GB but i don't say if its fully compatible with snow leopard, what are better for you??

http://www.pixmania.com/it/it/4613762/art/...512-mb-gdd.html

http://www.pixmania.com/it/it/4252367/art/...1-gb-gddr2.html

http://www.pixmania.com/it/it/4129675/art/...512-mb-gdd.html

http://www.pixmania.com/it/it/4892614/art/...1-gb-gddr3.html

http://www.pixmania.com/it/it/4635328/art/...1-gb-gddr5.html

http://www.pixmania.com/it/it/1434695/art/...1-gb-gddr3.html

http://www.pixmania.com/it/it/4904513/art/...1-gb-gddr3.html