Radeon HD 5870 / HD 5850

ixxxion

614 posts in this topic

.If an ioreg dump from a 5970 would help you then let me know and I'll pop the card back in.

IOReg Dump would be swell !

If you have the IoregistryExplorer App, a full report would be better. (It's part of developer package on SL install disc)

Would be nice if you could include whichever ATY_Init you are using.

If you happen to have grabbed it in GPU-Z, your actual ROM might be illuminatiing as well.

Whatever you can do.

When Safari doesn't work with 5870, I have found Firefox still does.

Heyyo,

Hmm, when other people post IORegistry Dumps they get it as a .txt, but mine comes out as .ioreg file.. is there something I'm missing? lol. I want to provide an ioreg dump to Netkas incase he can get his new aty_init.kext to work with a 5650 mobility.. I can dream. ;)

Heyyo,

Hmm, when other people post IORegistry Dumps they get it as a .txt, but mine comes out as .ioreg file.. is there something I'm missing? lol. I want to provide an ioreg dump to Netkas incase he can get his new aty_init.kext to work with a 5650 mobility.. I can dream. :(

There are 2 ways to get a similar thing.

In terminal "ioreg -l -w0 > dump.txt" leaves a text file in your Home folder.

Or, using the App IORegistryExplorer in the Developer Folder can give the report.

Netkas seems to prefer the text file.

Heyyo,

The reason you get full QE/CI with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] on your 6600GT is it uses GraphicsEnabler=Yes to inject the 6600GT's info into OSX so it uses the original nvidia kext's for OSX. Since the ATI 5000 series isn't fully supported (yet) by Chameleon bootloader or aty_init.kext it's pretty much keep testing the new aty_init.kext and hope for the best. You probably do need to do a fresh install since you're having such problems. When you used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] btw.. did you use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported? or did you use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] nVidia or ATi?

Oh sh*t, that might be it :)

I installed OSX with a Nvidia bootCD because I was using a 6600GT. I guess I'm going for a reinstall today with a Ati CD, or do I have to use Supported? (running a supported i5 proc).

I got my 5970 up and running now, even with acceleration. However I also experience strange problems. Like not able to open up system preferences.

Seems like I have the same problems as Spanky? Anyway, pretty cool that it actually works in some way now.

Hi!

First of all sorry for my english. :)

In medias res here's my problem.

I downloaded the ATY_init.kext and the kext pack for my Sapphire 5750 card. I used kext helper and install all kext what i read here before (aty_inity+ati5000...bal,bla).

My first result was a kernel panic with the x3000 kext. I solve this with "arch=i386 -v" command and the OS now can boot. Every man happy? No....

Second result a breaked up screen (random pixels and coloured fault image everywhere). I see the mouse pointer moving (I have 5 mouse pointer in the background), but the screen can't define with poor human brain. :P

I can't postin screen yet cuz i'm not in home.I'll stop a gap later. Till than any idea?

config:

asus p7p55lx

corei5 750

4Gb ram

Sapphire 5750

Hi!

First of all sorry for my english. :D

In medias res here's my problem.

I downloaded the ATY_init.kext and the kext pack for my Sapphire 5750 card. I used kext helper and install all kext what i read here before (aty_inity+ati5000...bal,bla).

My first result was a kernel panic with the x3000 kext. I solve this with "arch=i386 -v" command and the OS now can boot. Every man happy? No....

Second result a breaked up screen (random pixels and coloured fault image everywhere). I see the mouse pointer moving (I have 5 mouse pointer in the background), but the screen can't define with poor human brain. :)

I can't postin screen yet cuz i'm not in home.I'll stop a gap later. Till than any idea?

config:

asus p7p55lx

corei5 750

4Gb ram

Sapphire 5750

As Netkas says on his site: "for 57×0 it worth to try Eulemur as framebuffer (edit plist), default one is Uakari".

Hi all,

My system now boots and works with both of my 5870's in the system. I used an EFI boot string to boot only the GPU in slot 1, the second card remains uninitialised (only way to get it to work at the moment). I needed to mod ATY_init and remove everything except <key>Radeon HD 5870 Series<key><dict></dict> (basically made the body of it empty) so that only the BIOS gets loaded from the cards memory. This was required to make the card boot, as Chameleon would not accept an EFI string with bin_image inside it.

Only downside: I need to have both the HDMI and DVI connected and mirrored or there is screen corruption. Doesn't worry me too much as I have a monitor with both HDMI and DVI inputs.

Oh sh*t, that might be it :thumbsup_anim:

I installed OSX with a Nvidia bootCD because I was using a 6600GT. I guess I'm going for a reinstall today with a Ati CD, or do I have to use Supported? (running a supported i5 proc).

ugh, Didn't work either. When I try to boot the install with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] supported my screen turns black also (graphicsenabler=no, -v, -x, -f, arch=i386, everything). Schould I go with the Ati boot CD?, I'm really not sure that is going to work.

Can someone with a 5850 or 5870 who has just done a fresh install with his card tell me how he booted the SL installation? :wacko:

Heyyo,

Oh sh*t, that might be it :thumbsup_anim:

You should run Supported yes. Main reason? Your i5 CPU is one of the one's Mac supports, and running [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Supported you will get a good boost in CPU preformance cause you won't be using a modified kernel. This also means that when you're doing OSX Combo Updates you won't have to worry about the Kernel being overwritten. The [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] ATi/nVidia disks are for folks with unsupported CPU's (IE, AMD and Intel Pre-Core2 series) so that they can at least run Snow Leopard.

Hi all,

My system now boots and works with both of my 5870's in the system. I used an EFI boot string to boot only the GPU in slot 1, the second card remains uninitialised (only way to get it to work at the moment). I needed to mod ATY_init and remove everything except <key>Radeon HD 5870 Series<key><dict></dict> (basically made the body of it empty) so that only the BIOS gets loaded from the cards memory. This was required to make the card boot, as Chameleon would not accept an EFI string with bin_image inside it.

Only downside: I need to have both the HDMI and DVI connected and mirrored or there is screen corruption. Doesn't worry me too much as I have a monitor with both HDMI and DVI inputs.

That's why I went for the 5970 this time around (I had two 4870s before). I had real issues with having two cards before. The ATI drivers basically mess up if you've got two identical cards in your system resulting in only the first card working and the second card misbehaving. In my case the second 4870 would spin it's fans at full speed. I could usually get it to quieten down somewhat by restarting so every time I turned on my computer I had to boot up at least twice. There are ways apparently of getting two different ATI cards working at the same time so one day you may want to plump up for a 5970 to replace one of your 5870s for dual cards in OSX and trifire in Windows. :thumbsup_anim:

As Netkas says on his site: "for 57×0 it worth to try Eulemur as framebuffer (edit plist), default one is Uakari".

Forgive me, but i'm newbi. :thumbsup_anim: I have no idea that what u say with this.

What is Eulemur and Uakari (the "short version" more than enough)? :wacko:

Of course I need a few instruction what should i'll do.

Tx for the patience!

That's why I went for the 5970 this time around (I had two 4870s before). I had real issues with having two cards before. The ATI drivers basically mess up if you've got two identical cards in your system resulting in only the first card working and the second card misbehaving. In my case the second 4870 would spin it's fans at full speed. I could usually get it to quieten down somewhat by restarting so every time I turned on my computer I had to boot up at least twice. There are ways apparently of getting two different ATI cards working at the same time so one day you may want to plump up for a 5970 to replace one of your 5870s for dual cards in OSX and trifire in Windows. ;)

Yeah I think about it later on down the track once I have 2/3 monitors and need the extra for higher res gaming in Windows :P

I think the reason most people can't get the 5970's working properly is a driver issue. These drivers don't seem to like 2 identical graphics cores running at the same time. I was having the same issues as others (Finder crashing, unresponsive etc...) when I had the second GPU loading alongside the first one. Maybe with a later release of the drivers both GPU cores will be able to run simultaneously without problems.

One person on IRC says he's gotten his 5970 fully working on both cores by installing file one at a time, starting with ATY_init, then the FB then the X3000 kexts. Don't know if everyone is going to be able to get the 5970's working though!

Yeah I think about it later on down the track once I have 2/3 monitors and need the extra for higher res gaming in Windows ;)

I think the reason most people can't get the 5970's working properly is a driver issue. These drivers don't seem to like 2 identical graphics cores running at the same time. I was having the same issues as others (Finder crashing, unresponsive etc...) when I had the second GPU loading alongside the first one. Maybe with a later release of the drivers both GPU cores will be able to run simultaneously without problems.

One person on IRC says he's gotten his 5970 fully working on both cores by installing file one at a time, starting with ATY_init, then the FB then the X3000 kexts. Don't know if everyone is going to be able to get the 5970's working though!

Very interesting. So you did manage to get both of your 5870s running at the same time and when you did you had similar issues? As far as I could tell only one core of dual gpu cards gets loaded up, I don't remember seeing anything mentioning a second core when I had my 5970 in. I'll pop it back in in a couple of hours (swapping my Users drive onto a new drive at the moment, takes a while). One thing I didn't try was swapping to a different framebuffer.

Hopefully we'll get some new driver news soon. New iMacs seem really imminent right now and some people have noticed some third party online stores running low on Mac Pro stock so they might finally get an update soon.

Heyyo,

You should run Supported yes. Main reason? Your i5 CPU is one of the one's Mac supports, and running [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Supported you will get a good boost in CPU preformance cause you won't be using a modified kernel. This also means that when you're doing OSX Combo Updates you won't have to worry about the Kernel being overwritten. The [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] ATi/nVidia disks are for folks with unsupported CPU's (IE, AMD and Intel Pre-Core2 series) so that they can at least run Snow Leopard.

Okay, but the supported disk does include the same support for Ati and Nivida as the other disks have? Because I just tried the supported disc but it didn't give me any luck either. After Chameleon trys to boot the install I get a black screen with 100% GPU fan. The performance upgrade with a supported disk sounds interesting, but I will have to get a working install for that first :P

Again, I am really interested in how other people with a HD5XXX card get the system to boot with no black screen after Chameleon ;)

Very interesting. So you did manage to get both of your 5870s running at the same time and when you did you had similar issues? As far as I could tell only one core of dual gpu cards gets loaded up, I don't remember seeing anything mentioning a second core when I had my 5970 in. I'll pop it back in in a couple of hours (swapping my Users drive onto a new drive at the moment, takes a while). One thing I didn't try was swapping to a different framebuffer.

Hopefully we'll get some new driver news soon. New iMacs seem really imminent right now and some people have noticed some third party online stores running low on Mac Pro stock so they might finally get an update soon.

Yeah I did get both working with ATY_init, but yeah like I said there were showstopper issues.

The possible problem with the 5970's (and Crossfire 5870's) is that only 1 core loads up, and the other idle core/card (which is still detected by the system) causes the problems. Netkas has sorta been investigating the issue, but so far no luck. I never had these problems with my 4870X2, but like I said the drivers could be immature and need some work yet.

Heyyo,

Okay, but the supported disk does include the same support for Ati and Nivida as the other disks have? Because I just tried the supported disc but it didn't give me any luck either. After Chameleon trys to boot the install I get a black screen with 100% GPU fan. The performance upgrade with a supported disk sounds interesting, but I will have to get a working install for that first ;)

Again, I am really interested in how other people with a HD5XXX card get the system to boot with no black screen after Chameleon :thumbsup_anim:

Yeah it worked on my lappy with an ati 5650 mobility with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Supported. Didn't even have to do any special boot options or anything. Try booting with -v or -x and arch=i386 and see if that helps any. If not? try with GraphicsEnabler=No. [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Supported does have the same vidcard support as ATi/nVidia [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]'s. I used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Supported on my main gaming rig and my nVidia GTX260 worked flawlessly with proper FrameBuffer and QE/CI.

I got my 5970 up and running now, even with acceleration. However I also experience strange problems. Like not able to open up system preferences.

Seems like I have the same problems as Spanky? Anyway, pretty cool that it actually works in some way now.

If you haven't already done so give netkas's 5970 package a try that he linked into your comment on his site (http://mirror.netkas.org/5970.tar.bz2). I added my 5970's dev ID to ATI5000Controller.kext (0x689C1002), installed all the driver files to /S/L/E, put ATY_Init.kext into my Extras folder, ran Kext Utility, repaired permissions, shut down, put in the 5970 again and booted up. No more weird lockups in Finder, Safari, System Preferences and Activity Monitor etc.

Amazing work by netkas!

Heyyo,

Yeah it worked on my lappy with an ati 5650 mobility with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Supported. Didn't even have to do any special boot options or anything. Try booting with -v or -x and arch=i386 and see if that helps any. If not? try with GraphicsEnabler=No. [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Supported does have the same vidcard support as ATi/nVidia [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]'s. I used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Supported on my main gaming rig and my nVidia GTX260 worked flawlessly with proper FrameBuffer and QE/CI.

Ok, thanks for that. Going to try this tommorow. First I will have to see who we are going to play against in the World cup finals :(

Hi, thanks for the info guys ive successfully got my Asus 5850 to fully work QE/CI

I used the Kexts from Netkas and put them all in the S/L/E folder. Ran Kext Utility and rebooted with -f arch=i386 graphicsenabler=no commands. It worked on first boot up.

I will run the OpenGL benchmark now =)

victory, please tell the world how you did it

first installed aty_init.kext , did not show full informatation in system profiler, until I installed my audio.kexts that were conflicting with it for some reason, these audio.kexts included, appplehdaenabler, ALC889a, legacyhda, and also applehda, and IOaudiofamilysomething. *strange*

then system profiler recognized my card, then installed these kexts

Atiframebuffer, atisupport, ati50000controller, then I was able run in full resolution (1680x1050), and all 1024mb of vram were allocated,

then installed ATIRadeonX3000, no noticeable differences

then after I installed ATIRadeonX3000GA ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver and ATIRadeonX3000VADriver, then I got hardware acceleration, opengl, and QE/CI,

then I individually installed back my neccessary audio kexts.

oh and if it matters this is a i7 920, and a ga-ex58-ud4p, and pc efi v10.6

first installed aty_init.kext , did not show full informatation in system profiler, until I installed my audio.kexts that were conflicting with it for some reason, these audio.kexts included, appplehdaenabler, ALC889a, legacyhda, and also applehda, and IOaudiofamilysomething. *strange*

then system profiler recognized my card, then installed these kexts

Atiframebuffer, atisupport, ati50000controller, then I was able run in full resolution (1680x1050), and all 1024mb of vram were allocated,

then installed ATIRadeonX3000, no noticeable differences

then after I installed ATIRadeonX3000GA ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver and ATIRadeonX3000VADriver, then I got hardware acceleration, opengl, and QE/CI,

then I individually installed back my neccessary audio kexts.

oh and if it matters this is a i7 920, and a ga-ex58-ud4p

Out of curiousity, and so I can check if my problem can be sorted with a kext delete... how did you tell that the audio kexts were the culprit?