HP Mini 311 - Project Thread (Part I - OLD)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
676 replies to this topic

keinerdoof

keinerdoof

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Hello,

please can any post a dealer link for a working wifi card (i.e a ebay dealer).

Thanks

keinerdoof

rushtrader

rushtrader

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
Is anyone else having troubles with sleep? If I leave the Mini on and it eventually goes to sleep, I have to end up having to shut it down, at which point it will not get past the Pres Enter because you do not have a wireless card screen unless I pull the batteries (external and cmos).

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
RT

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

Is anyone else having troubles with sleep? If I leave the Mini on and it eventually goes to sleep, I have to end up having to shut it down, at which point it will not get past the Pres Enter because you do not have a wireless card screen unless I pull the batteries (external and cmos).

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
RT

Are you sure you are using our up to date posted DSDT, boot.plist, smbios.plist and all the kexts (it didn't sound like you were in the last post as well)?

And to prevent safesleep (hibernation) use:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Just some ideas as we those are symptoms that sound familiar.

Hello,

please can any post a dealer link for a working wifi card (i.e a ebay dealer).

Thanks

keinerdoof

We have posted the models of working cards many, many times.

I suppose you will try the half size slot when if comes in too even though we have discussed many times as well that it has a whitelist.

Please read the top post as it would tell you what cards are known to work and you can google it quick as I could.

Not trying to be a jerk here but our thread is unmanageable as is and now you decided to ask something that you could have simply read about.

keinerdoof

keinerdoof

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

We have posted the models of working cards many, many times.

I suppose you will try the half size slot when if comes in too even though we have discussed many times as well that it has a whitelist.

Please read the top post as it would tell you what cards are known to work and you can google it quick as I could.

Not trying to be a jerk here but our thread is unmanageable as is and now you decided to ask something that you could have simply read about.

I have read, but is too much information for me... i.e. i don't find a dealer for the BCM943224(N) card in post 1

kleinertoto

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

I have read, but is too much information for me... i.e. i don't find a dealer for the BCM943224(N) card in post 1

kleinertoto

Many of us are using the Dell 1510 card (including myself) and others are using a mixed bag of genuine Apple cards (always work) among others they found that are supported by Snow Leopard. This netbook does not limit what card you can use in the full size slot however 10.6 natively supports some without modification, so we choose to focus on them. This is likely not your best WiFi specific resource for Snow Leopard as there are dozens of supported cards, we just ended up landing on a few here.

Many of us use eBay for cards since they are usually more expensive at storefronts.

maxtools

maxtools

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi to all!!
im max from italy and i have purchased a mini 311 with 3gb ram
first... very thanks for providing me a sweet installation method that works very well..
only little problems:
1 bonjours don't work
2 ram memory non identified in sysyem profiler
3 web cam on, but with brightness very low (pratically it's black)
4 someserial number from smbios.plist
5 wifi work with dongle digicom usb wave 54 and zydas drive manually installed
6 ethernet don't resume after sleep

last question..
i installed mach kernel mobdin,,
which is his function?

i stay tuned and i report my success
anyway another thank you!

zag0r

zag0r

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hi all,

I just received my HP 311c (or Compaq 1030ez in my country). That's an amazing machine :(
I would like to install it with a multiboot (SL, Seven and maybe a linux distro debian or ubuntu).
What kind of configuration is better? I have to use a MBR or GUID? Is better to install first win or SL? I just check around but I didn't find any good solution tutorial to do that.

Best regards,
zag0r

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
@superviza: A few posts ago you mentioned that you tried installing Leo and then migrating to SL. By what method did you install Leo? I've tried several different methods (boot 132, iDeneb, iAtKOS) and all have failed. I did actually get the iAtKOS v7 installed, but could not use the keyboard or trackpad.

Also my additional 2 Gb RAM and new Segate Momentus HD should be here by Wednesday. Has anyone tried upgrading Windoze to version 7 yet?

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

Hi to all!!
im max from italy and i have purchased a mini 311 with 3gb ram
first... very thanks for providing me a sweet installation method that works very well..
only little problems:
1 bonjours don't work
2 ram memory non identified in sysyem profiler
3 web cam on, but with brightness very low (pratically it's black)
4 someserial number from smbios.plist
5 wifi work with dongle digicom usb wave 54 and zydas drive manually installed
6 ethernet don't resume after sleep

last question..
i installed mach kernel mobdin,,
which is his function?

i stay tuned and i report my success
anyway another thank you!

This is not an install guide. It is merely intelligence around this device running Mac OS 10.6

1 - Works perfect here as long as you did not deviate from the files posted
2 - This is a known, somewhat cosmetic "issue"
3 - This is hardware controlled (we will not go further on that one won't change)
4 - SOMESRLNMBR is actually the default serial number Apple uses when a logic board is not programmed with one (ie: replacement) instead of faking it, why not just have it use the genuine missing serial number ID?

That said, feel free to do whatever you want with the files and info you find here.

The modbin kernel enabled the OS to use the second thread in the Atom CPU. The Atom is hyperthreaded. I spelled this out earlier as well. Please read.

rushtrader

rushtrader

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Are you sure you are using our up to date posted DSDT, boot.plist, smbios.plist and all the kexts (it didn't sound like you were in the last post as well)?

And to prevent safesleep (hibernation) use:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Just some ideas as we those are symptoms that sound familiar.

I am booting from pcefi v10 using grub off of a linux partition. Should I be using this boot in that place instead of pciefi's boot?

Also, switching to the modbin kernel seems to have helped.

RT

Wallbanger

Wallbanger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
This has been great fun, but I've decided to bite the bullet and just get a new MBP 13".

If you're still looking for a 311, you can get it now for $345.

Thanks!

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=195360

zag0r

zag0r

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

I just finished to install 10.6.1 and about all works fine... but ethernet don't resume after sleep and my Wifi card doesn't work (pci14e4,4315).

I know that some wifi card doesn't work but I didn't understand if my is one of this :-D

Any idea or suggest?

For dual booting (SL/Seven) anyone tried this method? boot-camp-for-hackintoshes/

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

This has been great fun, but I've decided to bite the bullet and just get a new MBP 13".

If you're still looking for a 311, you can get it now for $345.

Thanks!

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=195360

Good luck on your ventures with your true Apple Mac.

I carefully evaluated the options for many weeks and decided to pull the trigger on this device as it is as close to the current MacBook Air/Pro as you can get (aside from the proc) in many ways. The size, battery and graphics/screening are just stunning.

It does have its drawbacks (GPU acceleration in flash will help).

I wanted something more portable than my other many notebooks and wasn't concerned about raw power.

I am happy to say that I made the right choice for me... Not everyone will say that about their situation however it is a great device for what i was looking for.

I am sure over time we will get the remaining few catches worked out as more folks get their device.

I am booting from pcefi v10 using grub off of a linux partition. Should I be using this boot in that place instead of pciefi's boot?

Also, switching to the modbin kernel seems to have helped.

RT

I can only speak from experience with PC EFI 10.4.1 and 10.5 on this unit directly off the EFI partition.

I had used Boot Think for a while but PC EFI far surpassed it.

I will likely upload a new Boot archive soon after I test a few things in /E/E on the EFI partition instead of requiring a new cache be built ever time you install new software that may include kexts.

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

@superviza: A few posts ago you mentioned that you tried installing Leo and then migrating to SL. By what method did you install Leo? I've tried several different methods (boot 132, iDeneb, iAtKOS) and all have failed. I did actually get the iAtKOS v7 installed, but could not use the keyboard or trackpad.

Also my additional 2 Gb RAM and new Segate Momentus HD should be here by Wednesday. Has anyone tried upgrading Windoze to version 7 yet?

RE: Install Method for Leo - I use only the Retail Disk/Image of the OS along with NetbookBootMaker.

Same method I use for Snow.

RE: Windows 7

Yeah, I was running a retail version of W7 just fine, not a bad OS.

OSX is still far superior.

Cheers,

Superviza

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

RE: Install Method for Leo - I use only the Retail Disk/Image of the OS along with NetbookBootMaker.

Same method I use for Snow.

RE: Windows 7

Yeah, I was running a retail version of W7 just fine, not a bad OS.

OSX is still far superior.

Cheers,

Superviza

Good to hear from you! How is your device working? Mine is solid as a rock! I am really throwing a good load at it using GarageBand with an Alesis IO|2 audio interface and finding it quite fun.Fi was that turning point of being a useless device to being the best option out there right now.

Really looking forward to full built in audio at some point here but what a great device! Wi

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts
PLEASE READ:

Over the past few weeks this thread has become a dumping ground for level 1 type of support requests. given the current state of this thread, I'm reluctant to return on a regular basis due to the amount of unnecessary posts.

"How do I install this"

"What card do I need"

Whilst we are willing to assist, please DO NOT pollute this thread with such requests, as you will already see 99% of these questions just get left unanswered (because the answer already lay within this thread)

It is in your best interest to keep this thread as clean and usable for us that are trying to pave the way forward in regards to getting functionality supporting in 10.6.x and Proto has been kind enough to keep the top post updated with any important information required.

With this in mind, a new thread has been created for the level one (read: n00b) questions in regards to the 311.

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=195374

Please use this new thread for such questions requests and let this thread be what it was designed to be: Discussion in relation to the development of the 311 in an OSX86 environment.

Note: this is not meant to be a slap in the face for any one post or user.

Regards,

Superviza

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

PLEASE READ:

Over the past few weeks this thread has become a dumping ground for level 1 type of support requests. given the current state of this thread, I'm reluctant to return on a regular basis due to the amount of unnecessary posts.

"How do I install this"

"What card do I need"

Whilst we are willing to assist, please DO NOT pollute this thread with such requests, as you will already see 99% of these questions just get left unanswered (because the answer already lay within this thread)

It is in your best interest to keep this thread as clean and usable for us that are trying to pave the way forward in regards to getting functionality supporting in 10.6.x and Proto has been kind enough to keep the top post updated with any important information required.

With this in mind, a new thread has been created for the level one (read: n00b) questions in regards to the 311.

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=195374

Please use this new thread for such questions requests and let this thread be what it was designed to be: Discussion in relation to the development of the 311 in an OSX86 environment.

Note: this is not meant to be a slap in the face for any one post or user.

Regards,

Superviza

Good call!

I think I will try to have this thread closed (not sure how yet) and start a new one with an updated top post (your link included) with our current status as we have now, and copy all the audio/HDMI related info we have gathered here since those really are the outstanding items yet (maybe trackpad options, but we haven't gotten deep on that one yet).

New folks looking to help can't even find our audio stuff many pages back with all the clutter.

What do you think supervisa?

EDIT:

THIS THREAD IS BEING CLOSED AND IS HERE FOR HISTORIC REASONS

PLEASE VISIT THE NEW THREAD FOR UPDATED INFORMATION

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=195381

PLEASE ABIDE BY THE RULES OF THE NEW THREAD

THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy