HP Mini 311 - Project Thread (Part I - OLD)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
676 replies to this topic

meyergreen

meyergreen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi everyone,

I just thought I would chime in that I have my taped wifi card working (with no range though). It's a BCM94321mc that I got from GetPartsOnline.com
It's more expensive than ebay ones ($25.99) but it was in the US so I got it pretty quickly.

Does anyone have a source for antenna extensions? I checked with one place jefatech.com but their smallest is 6". I asked for a quote on a 2" one but they said they only do custom orders for 50 or more.
Are there 25 of us here needing extensions?

-Jeremy

macuserava

macuserava

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Hi everyone,

I just thought I would chime in that I have my taped wifi card working (with no range though). It's a BCM94321mc that I got from GetPartsOnline.com
It's more expensive than ebay ones ($25.99) but it was in the US so I got it pretty quickly.

Does anyone have a source for antenna extensions? I checked with one place jefatech.com but their smallest is 6". I asked for a quote on a 2" one but they said they only do custom orders for 50 or more.
Are there 25 of us here needing extensions?

-Jeremy

yeah i know ill need some but roughly how much per person is needed, is it just worth it to coil up a longer one or get a custom order?

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

@theproto would you mind posting your dsdt.dsl file? I'd like to see if your dsdt.aml will fix my sleep issue but I don't want to use that Kernel.

thx

Please read the top post.

The Boot and Root archives contain all the files needed to have a stable system whether you use the kernel included or not.

It also lists what files are in the archives before you download them.

Just being helpful here as this thread is getting long and we are getting more and more questions that are clearly answered. You have not been one of the ones asking these questions mind you, but I have been getting PMs asking "how do I get OS X on my 311" to which I do not reply.

Thank you for contributing to this thread in a positive way. I just want to point out that all the needed info is in the top post for all folks just coming aboard now and not reading all the previous pages (this is not you Ego, but I want to encourage everyone to read).

---------------

EDIT: I have posted a link for the antenna extensions about 6 or 7 pages back I think. That is where I said I bought them. Please take a read :-) And the Dell 1520 as disccussed here works great and I bought it for $28 brand new/sealed and shipped on eBay. They have many in stock and it came in within 3 days, do a search.

mjaleo

mjaleo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Just being helpful here as this thread is getting long and we are getting more and more questions that are clearly answered. You have not been one of the ones asking these questions mind you, but I have been getting PMs asking "how do I get OS X on my 311" to which I do not reply.

Thank you for contributing to this thread in a positive way. I just want to point out that all the needed info is in the top post for all folks just coming aboard now and not reading all the previous pages (this is not you Ego, but I want to encourage everyone to read).

I'm definitely one of those people. I've been waiting and checking for the Google Code site to get up.

I want to install 10.5.8 - is there an easy way or installer for this? I did my first Hackintosh over three years ago, but things have significantly changed.

Can you at least point me in the right direction? I'd really appreciate it.

kmc

kmc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Everyone

First of all thanks a lot for all your effort and posting about your experiences... I've been following since the start and the progress is awesome. My mini should be arriving shortly so I'm currently ordering the parts I need... U.FL extensions are on the way - just about to order a half height 1510 card. Am I correct in saying that those of you who have taken this step are still using the stock card for bluetooth? It seems the 1510 I am looking at has bluetooth support too:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...#ht_2355wt_1008

While this is my first post here, when my mini arrives I'll be sure to contribute what I can to audio and HDMI. I'm not familiar with the architecture of Mini PCI-e - ignoring any HP blacklist policies - should the slots be compatible with SSD cards?

Regards

K

james Vreeken

james Vreeken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
Could Someone post a tutorial on what to do with the files?
or are you waiting until everything is complete?

Lightsout565

Lightsout565

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Could Someone post a tutorial on what to do with the files?
or are you waiting until everything is complete?

Just follow this guide for a rough idea on how to get your 311 set up with Snow Leopard.

http://mymacbookmini...2/snow-leopard/

FYI: My USB Wireless LAN came in today. I'm happy to say that it works in Snow Leopard. Just have a couple issues. First, it won't sleep. Just wakes up right after i put it to sleep. So I'm stuck with unplugging it to sleep and plugging it back in after I it wake up. But, for $15 shipped its a small, cheap, and excellent alternative.

Edit: Sleep works, But it looks like it only works on the USB port located on the right side next to the VGA out.

http://www.monoprice.......=1&format=2

JELaVallee

JELaVallee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Just follow this guide for a rough idea on how to get your 311 set up with Snow Leopard.

Thanks for the info @Lightsout565.

I just got my WWAN 311 (Verizon Broadband model, only cost me $150 after the rebate and retention discount!) this afternoon. Hoping to get this rolling this weekend.

Kinda miffed that the built-in Wifi is hosed. Going to look at the alternatives tho, or try your USB solution for the interim.

I'll keep detailed notes and may post to MyHPMini.com's OSX Installation forums. Will keep y'all posted.

And again, thanks to Proto, et al. for your efforts here. Now let's get sound nailed!

cheers,
Etienne

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

Am I correct in saying that those of you who have taken this step are still using the stock card for bluetooth? It seems the 1510 I am looking at has bluetooth support too:

While this is my first post here, when my mini arrives I'll be sure to contribute what I can to audio and HDMI. I'm not familiar with the architecture of Mini PCI-e - ignoring any HP blacklist policies - should the slots be compatible with SSD cards?

RE: Bluetooth

Correct, couple of reasons why. The 1/2 height slot has a whitelist policy applied to it and as such very few cards will work in here. If you boot without a card in the slot, you get a warning every time you boot that forces you to push enter to continue. The replacement cards were working with are WiFi only so the working BT is welcomed :P

RE: SSD

I have not tried however Proto made a comment about 20 pages back in regards to them not being compatible. If you want working Wi-Fi then your out of empty slots anyways (unless you want a USB dongle)

:)

Superviza

wired4net

wired4net

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

FYI: My USB Wireless LAN came in today. I'm happy to say that it works in Snow Leopard. Just have a couple issues. First, it won't sleep. Just wakes up right after i put it to sleep. So I'm stuck with unplugging it to sleep and plugging it back in after I it wake up. But, for $15 shipped its a small, cheap, and excellent alternative.

Thanks, Lightsout565. I just ordered the product you suggested from monoprice. Just got my HP mini 311 day before yesterday, so I haven't tried Snow Leopard yet. (I do have it working on a Dell Inspiron 1510 laptop, though).

May I just ask, did you need a driver from Realtek for it to work? If so, can you direct me?

Thanks again,

Wired4net

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts
Proto:

Whats your thoughts on why the pin 20 trick works on the full size slot and not on the stock card in the 1/2 size slot ?

I wonder if the pin 20 trick is required with an official apple card.

Lightsout565

Lightsout565

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Thanks, Lightsout565. I just ordered the product you suggested from monoprice. Just got my HP mini 311 day before yesterday, so I haven't tried Snow Leopard yet. (I do have it working on a Dell Inspiron 1510 laptop, though).

May I just ask, did you need a driver from Realtek for it to work? If so, can you direct me?

Thanks again,

Wired4net

The USB WLAN comes with a DVD that contains the drivers.

Edit: Sleep works, But it looks like it only works on the USB port located on the right side next to the VGA out.

drywall

drywall

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I'm unfortunately at work and only have access to clear tape (ie: you cant see the tape however I used a multimeter to confirm there is no continuity.

I taped the pin next to the one marked 18

Ill remove my working BCM94321 and stick with just the stock card to see if taping and kexts work.

For anyone out there still struggling with which pin is pin 20, I've attached two photos, one of a half-height card and one of a full height card. Neither of these pins have been taped, but identifying which is the right pin should no longer be an issue.

Attached File  pin20.1.jpg   76.49KB   401 downloads
Attached File  pin20.2.jpg   85.25KB   345 downloads

(note that neither of these are the exact cards under discussion)

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

For anyone out there still struggling with which pin is pin 20, I've attached two photos, one of a half-height card and one of a full height card. Neither of these pins have been taped, but identifying which is the right pin should no longer be an issue.

Attached File  pin20.1.jpg   76.49KB   401 downloads
Attached File  pin20.2.jpg   85.25KB   345 downloads

(note that neither of these are the exact cards under discussion)

Awesome stuff drywall, that will prove to be very helpful as new people visit our infamous 311 thread.

Proto: Perhaps these should be linked in the OP ?

EDIT: Nice DOF/Bokeh on the shots!

Lightsout565

Lightsout565

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Yeah, you should definitely add these to the original post. Maybe just start a list of after market cards that work. Also add some USB cards that work. Pretty much any of the ones from Monoprice work.

http://www.monoprice...p;cs_id=1050105

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts
My lord its quite in the office today...

I'm tempted to go for a walk and pick up a 500gb 2.5" 7200RPM drive to pop in the 311 :thumbsup_anim:

I wonder what kind of performance gains we would get and if it would drain much more juice out of the 6 cell.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

EDIT:

Seagate MOMENTUS 7200.4 500GB SATA 2.5 7200rpm w G Details:

The Seagate® Momentus® 7200.4 drive delivers the highest available capacity and performance in a laptop hard drive and draw only .05 percent more power than a 5400-RPM laptop drive.

I could live with .05% more load on the battery

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts
I've been out and about tonight...

Still waiting for my U.FL extensions to come in (shipped yesterday)... So I've been tethering with my BlackBerry for internet. If I have my netbook sitting right by the router I have a great connection... So I know I'll be good to go very soon.

I'll try to attach those photos to the top post soon with rightful credit... They really are perfect

I'll be out again tomorrow... But should be back on Friday!

Don't have a lot of time today and tomorrow.

I don't find the drive to be a bottleneck for me right now... I was even contemplating swapping it for a SATA SSD.

About SSDs in netbooks. The Dell mini 9 and other "primitive" netbooks :-) have an ATA (some SATA) bridge connecting to their unused Mini PCIe pins providing the ability to use a device that fits inside the slot but doesn't use the actual PCIe interface as one would expect. In the near future many more netbooks will support the emerging standard called mSATA which is this idea but standardized to allow for thinner, smaller devices.

humph

humph

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Proto:

Whats your thoughts on why the pin 20 trick works on the full size slot and not on the stock card in the 1/2 size slot ?

I wonder if the pin 20 trick is required with an official apple card.

Hi superviza, proto & crew,
I've lost track on what experiments were done on the std card (this has become a very long thread!).

When you had problems to get the stock Broadcom BCM4312 (14e4:4315) working, did you already try adding this ID to the Info.plist on the std kext in /S/L/E? (or adding one into /Extra).

I'm very perplexed as to why this std card is not working. I have same card in different machine working fine under 10.6.1, but only when this change is made.

japierdole

japierdole

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
i'm a total noob int this subject. i beg for a step by step tutorial !!

Lightsout565

Lightsout565

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Look above at post #607...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy