HP Mini 311 - Project Thread (Part I - OLD)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
676 replies to this topic

theSlug

theSlug

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
@Chase M
Probably works well :rolleyes:

-------------------------------------

I tested my dell 1490 on the "long" MPCIExpress slot. the card is recognised well by the system (xp tested), but the problem is the antenna cable... 5mm too short for attach to the card on the other slot. :rolleyes:
anyone have tried to attach with more fortune?

My SL is nearly perfect (no audio and wifi naturally), i don't understand a think, when i boot in verbose mode, the system is more fast, the shoutdown is fastest, when i boot normally, IMHO is more slow, and the shoutdown process crash after a tong time of inactivity.. only in normal mode :)

in my Leo install, i don't have graphics, only wifi after a few tweaks works, with the led blinking blue and red, but works well.

bye

theSLug

EDIT:
my test model is a 311c-1025EL, an "italian" compaq mini, with F.04 bios

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

I understand what you are getting at here...

The reason the profiler shows what it does show is beacuse I enabled it in the DSDT, mainly for troubleshooting and completeness just as true Apple hardware does.

supervisa, you can try booting without the DSDT (just don't do anything fancy like attempt a suspend as you will see KPs and hangs) but you will at least complete the troubleshooting. Who knows, it may be reacting negatively to being cosmeticly identified as an "expansion" card. But this would flush that out through testing.

The fact the driver is actually loading leads me to believe that there should be very little stopping it from working as we expect. This means that the probe scrore and all the other metrics have already passed.

Oh, on a side note, how is the stability since using the latest archives? Mine has significantly imroved. to the point I would consider bringing the device with me when heading to the coffee shop. I can let it sleep without having to wonder if it will come back. I am also playing with hibernation again since sleep feels much more stable now.

I realized that I really don't want to have anything semi-important for my personal use corrupted with a KP because I let it sleep. So that quickly became my top priority on this thing.

Hey Proto,

Ill try removing the DSDT and seeing how I go, I do think I tried that last night but ill try again.

Do you think having both WLAN cards in there is a issue ? I did try without the stock card and didnt get any results.

Reason I ask is that with both cards in, under system profiler, It has YES in the "Driver Loaded" column against BOTH wifi cards.

I think your right proto, It seems like it is only something minor stopping this baby from powering on.

RE: The testing kexts, I have not had 1 KP whilst using them, albeit I wasent getting many prior however I did alot of sleeping/waking last night with the new kexts and it didnt miss a beat.

Ill report back soon in regards to testing with no dsdt.

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

Hey Proto,

Ill try removing the DSDT and seeing how I go, I do think I tried that last night but ill try again.

Do you think having both WLAN cards in there is a issue ? I did try without the stock card and didnt get any results.

Reason I ask is that with both cards in, under system profiler, It has YES in the "Driver Loaded" column against BOTH wifi cards.

I think your right proto, It seems like it is only something minor stopping this baby from powering on.

RE: The testing kexts, I have not had 1 KP whilst using them, albeit I wasent getting many prior however I did alot of sleeping/waking last night with the new kexts and it didnt miss a beat.

Thanks for the info... You may want to try modbin's kernel out http://rapidshare.co...ernel_test7.rar if you have a chance.

It has full hyperthreading enabled on this proc! I noticed that other (non-netbook) atom users have been raving about it so I gave it a go! Low and behold, the "Cores: 2" shows in system profiler... Indicating that it has both threads active (I repeat, THREADS, we are not really talking cores here)! Should be better performance in general for when using multiple apps, or multithreaded apps. This was quite exciting to me as I though we would never be able to use both threads in OS X.

EDIT: About the WiFi... I thinks its time to do more research on it as it sounds like the system is stable enough for general use to me...

Hey Proto,

This post is about wireless, sorry about the non-wireless reply before... I was just really stoked about the kernel!

Both WLAN cards should be fine in the one system, and you get the annoying HP prompt if you take the stock one out don't you?

When you go to add a network adapter in the sys prefs, does it should the wireless card in there?

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Pardon another quick question. I just ordered mine from NewEgg and the model number is a HP Mini 311-1000NR. Are these numbers on the end significant or just related to the different countries? Mine should be here by the end of the week so I hope to join in the fun soon!

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

EDIT: About the WiFi... I thinks its time to do more research on it as it sounds like the system is stable enough for general use to me...

This post is about wireless, sorry about the non-wireless reply before... I was just really stoked about the kernel!

Both WLAN cards should be fine in the one system, and you get the annoying HP prompt if you take the stock one out don't you?

When you go to add a network adapter in the sys prefs, does it should the wireless card in there?

The new kernel sounds awesome, will give it a try today :(

RE: Wireless

Yeah you get a prompt at POST without the stock card in.

If I go into network prefs I can add Airport as a connection type however I could do this with the stock card also.

Without the DSDT, the wireless behaves the same.. Wont power on..

Observation:

Booting into linux with both cards installed the stock card fires up and works just fine (Wireless button turns blue etc) and I can join a network.

If I boot into linux using just the new card, wireless lite stays orange (as it does in osx) and wireless is not an option in the prefs.

I wonder if it really is just going to be a matter of installing XP to power on the card... Hmmmm.. There has to be away...

Pardon another quick question. I just ordered mine from NewEgg and the model number is a HP Mini 311-1000NR. Are these numbers on the end significant or just related to the different countries? Mine should be here by the end of the week so I hope to join in the fun soon!

I believe they just indicate locale and optional extras.

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

The new kernel sounds awesome, will give it a try today :(

RE: Wireless

Yeah you get a prompt at POST without the stock card in.

If I go into network prefs I can add Airport as a connection type however I could do this with the stock card also.

Without the DSDT, the wireless behaves the same.. Wont power on..

Observation:

Booting into linux with both cards installed the stock card fires up and works just fine (Wireless button turns blue etc) and I can join a network.

If I boot into linux using just the new card, wireless lite stays orange (as it does in osx) and wireless is not an option in the prefs.

I wonder if it really is just going to be a matter of installing XP to power on the card... Hmmmm.. There has to be away...

For the record, the framebuffer disabler" is why every single device shows a driver installed (including your stock WiFi without any kexts)... I am going to do a little tweaking on that so it only disables NVDA framebuffer to see if that is good enough to maintain stability.

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

For the record, the framebuffer disabler" is why every single device shows a driver installed (including your stock WiFi without any kexts)... I am going to do a little tweaking on that so it only disables NVDA framebuffer to see if that is good enough to maintain stability.

Aha, perhaps my new wifi card does not actually have a driver installed then and is just throwing a "false positive" from the framebuffer kext.

Testing now...

I removed the Framebuffer kext and it shows Driver installed for the new card and not for the stock (which is good I guess)

Now to figure out why a card with a installed driver will not start !

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

Aha, perhaps my new wifi card does not actually have a driver installed then and is just throwing a "false positive" from the framebuffer kext.

Testing now...

I removed the Framebuffer kext and it shows Driver installed for the new card and not for the stock (which is good I guess)

Now to figure out why a card with a installed driver will not start !

As for that framebuffer annoyance... I made the change and am testing it now... Along with your NVEnabler modem update. I couldn't resist changing it to NVIDIA ION-LE as all the newer stuff is NVIDIA instead of nVidia or nVIDIA :(

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

As for that framebuffer annoyance... I made the change and am testing it now... Along with your NVEnabler modem update. I couldn't resist changing it to NVIDIA ION-LE as all the newer stuff is NVIDIA instead of nVidia or nVIDIA :(

Good man !

Best to keep things as lined up as possible :D

So you think that the fact that osx is loading a driver against the new card rules out the metrics check ?

This card defiantly reports something different than the stock card did.

26/10/09 6:23:10 PM	kernel	AirPort: Link Down on en1. Reason 4 (Disassociated due to inactivity).

I'm not sure where to look next....

Proto, do you know what the "Wireless" button on the 311 toggles ? I have a feeling that it just toggles power to the 1/2 height card slot?

If so, I guess that button is useless in powering on the new card.

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

Good man !

Best to keep things as lined up as possible :)

So you think that the fact that osx is loading a driver against the new card rules out the metrics check ?

This card defiantly reports something different than the stock card did.

26/10/09 6:23:10 PM	kernel	AirPort: Link Down on en1. Reason 4 (Disassociated due to inactivity).

I'm not sure where to look next....

Proto, do you know what the "Wireless" button on the 311 toggles ? I have a feeling that it just toggles power to the 1/2 height card slot?

If so, I guess that button is useless in powering on the new card.

Notebook buttons generally just toggle the bluetooth's USB power (when BT is built in) and the cards radio itself. On a non stock card in the non-stock slot is guaranteed that the card's radio will not be touched when the button is pressed (this is a good think as OS X will likely not be able to turn the radio back on).

I believe others have had the same issue you have had about the card's power. I have run across a few threads about it but wasn't looking close enough to remember what they needed to do.

EDIT: Bottom line____ Stick with the triple frambuffer disabler! I can confirm at least the intel and nvidia disablers are needed in the kext so why chance it and leave the ati one out?

The bugger here is that ever device the system finds gets a driver associated with it due to its probe score (this is on purpose to prevent it from trying to look for EFI hardware and crashing your system). An eyesore if you are looking for it, yes, hurts the system in any other way, no.

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

Notebook buttons generally just toggle the bluetooth's USB power (when BT is built in) and the cards radio itself. On a non stock card in the non-stock slot is guaranteed that the card's radio will not be touched when the button is pressed (this is a good think as OS X will likely not be able to turn the radio back on).

I believe others have had the same issue you have had about the card's power. I have run across a few threads about it but wasn't looking close enough to remember what they needed to do.

EDIT: Bottom line____ Stick with the triple frambuffer disabler! I can confirm at least the intel and nvidia disablers are needed in the kext so why chance it and leave the ati one out?

The bugger here is that ever device the system finds gets a driver associated with it due to its probe score (this is on purpose to prevent it from trying to look for EFI hardware and crashing your system). An eyesore if you are looking for it, yes, hurts the system in any other way, no.

Cool, thanks for looking into it proto.

I guess I need to look at ways of powering on this card in another operating system.

Question:

Once the cards power is set to on, it will stay in that state even after restart ?

mckernanlive

mckernanlive

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the support of making a Google Code instance for this.
My reasoning was that people could look @ this thread for the nitty gritty, and the (no offense) noobs can go to Google code and see the latest information of the current way to get it working. People don't want to dig through a forum thread that is 30 pages long.

Thanks for your work, I'm glad that the work is progressing so quickly. I hope to get a 311 in the next month or so.

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts
The project site will be located here:

http://code.google.c...mini311-darwin/

By chance does anyone have the higher resolution background that came with the 311 in the factory load?

I am actually serious... I would like the original hi res background :-) I backed it up but used the USB stick for a bootloader and forgot that was on it before wiping it...

EDIT: Top post updated with 26OCT09 archives, bringing modbin's hyperthreaded kernel, supervisa's added NVEnabler property for identification in System Profiler and other minor tweaks.

Still hammering out how exactly we would like to use the project site.

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts
Alrighty:

So I now have an original Apple Airport Extreme (PCI-e Full Height) and a Dell 1490 (PCI-e Full Height) on the way.

If the apple card doesn't work, something wrong is going on.

Proto: Have you tried any of the apple cards from one of your other devices in the 311 ?

I don't mind spending company $$$ ordering these cards aslong as we get one that works :D

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

@Chase M
Probably works well :)

-------------------------------------

I tested my dell 1490 on the "long" MPCIExpress slot. the card is recognised well by the system (xp tested), but the problem is the antenna cable... 5mm too short for attach to the card on the other slot. :(

Did you try the Dell 1490 in Snow Leopard ? If so did it work ?

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts
It appears that alot of people have been able to get their wifi card to power on my taping up pin 20 on the wifi card

http://www.insanelym...p...56015&st=60

I left my mini at work but I'll be trying this in the morning.

Let you know how it goes.

Superviza

theSlug

theSlug

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
1490 in the other slot is not active (disconnected antennas?), but recognized well IMHO.

one question, actually the video acceleration not work, is true?

the 9400m is worse than a intel x3100 :wacko: ;)

Attached Files

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

1490 in the other slot is not active (disconnected antennas?), but recognized well IMHO.

one question, actually the video acceleration not work, is true?

the 9400m is worse than a intel x3100 :P :)

What happens when you power on the airport card ? Even though the airport has disconected antennas, it should still be able to be powered on.

RE: Video Acceleration

It's hard to tell from your picture if your top menu bar is transparent (ie QE enabled). If you add a wiget to the dashboard, does it ripple like water ?

So far the ION LE has been running well for me.

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

Alrighty:

So I now have an original Apple Airport Extreme (PCI-e Full Height) and a Dell 1490 (PCI-e Full Height) on the way.

If the apple card doesn't work, something wrong is going on.

Proto: Have you tried any of the apple cards from one of your other devices in the 311 ?

I don't mind spending company $$$ ordering these cards aslong as we get one that works :angry2:

I just bit the bullen again and bought 2 x $15 U.FL extensions with $9 shipping as it seems these are ohhh so rare.

This should just let me use any card I fee like using in the extra slot. I cannot remove the BCM4328 cards from my other notebooks as one is a toshiba and there is a very off plastic layer with adhesive that took me a long time to warm up and peel back without any evidence that I was in there medling around.

The other card is sitting in my wife's Aspire One and I am not opening up that thing again! I added memory earlier this year and the new wifi card about a month ago and wrecked all the corners of my old credit cards making sure again I showed not evidence of opening the unit.

Otherwise I would be up swapping cards for testing...

I am in the same boat now. if this doesn't work, I will be buying another Apple WiFi card, throwing it and smiling about working WiFi. I am tired of screwing around with it already.

theSlug

theSlug

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

What happens when you power on the airport card ? Even though the airport has disconected antennas, it should still be able to be powered on.

RE: Video Acceleration

It's hard to tell from your picture if your top menu bar is transparent (ie QE enabled). If you add a wiget to the dashboard, does it ripple like water ?

So far the ION LE has been running well for me.

the OS prevents me to power on the card, but is recognized well, airport present in the system preferences->network and the mac address is recognized well.

Graphic related:
this is my xbench:
CPU Test	27.90	
		GCD Loop	47.65	2.51 Mops/sec
		Floating Point Basic	17.10	406.21 Mflop/sec
		vecLib FFT	23.10	762.18 Mflop/sec
		Floating Point Library	48.58	8.46 Mops/sec
	Thread Test	50.44	
		Computation	44.04	892.14 Kops/sec, 4 threads
		Lock Contention	59.01	2.54 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
	Memory Test	80.26	
		System	68.90	
			Allocate	92.39	339.30 Kalloc/sec
			Fill	85.58	4161.31 MB/sec
			Copy	47.55	982.03 MB/sec
		Stream	96.10	
			Copy	100.89	2083.90 MB/sec
			Scale	90.89	1877.80 MB/sec
			Add	114.33	2435.45 MB/sec
			Triad	83.59	1788.11 MB/sec
	Quartz Graphics Test	63.12	
		Line	53.64	3.57 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
		Rectangle	57.39	17.13 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
		Circle	50.78	4.14 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
		Bezier	60.22	1.52 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
		Text	145.97	9.13 Kchars/sec
	OpenGL Graphics Test	17.02	
		Spinning Squares	17.02	21.59 frames/sec
	User Interface Test	25.36	
		Elements	25.36	116.38 refresh/sec
anyone can compare?

bye

theSLug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy