HP Mini 311 - Project Thread (Part I - OLD)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
676 replies to this topic

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts
PLEASE VISIT THE NEW THREAD FOR UPDATED INFORMATION

THIS THREAD IS BEING CLOSED AND IS HERE FOR HISTORIC REASONS

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=195381

PLEASE ABIDE BY THE RULES OF THE NEW THREAD

THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING

adachis

adachis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I rushed home from work today because my 311 arrived this morning. It was supposed to be here last week but since it was National Day in China it got delayed. I'm currently waiting for OS X to install via iDeneb. I know you want to limit the discussion to 10.6 but I'm going to try and upgrade, plus I think a lot of the information will be relevant.

I ordered the 802.11g WiFi + Bluetooth because I wanted Bluetooth and I thought 802.11g would be more likely to work given HP's card choices. I have a Mini 1000 and a Mini 5101 and the 5101, which has 802.11n, has a WiFi card that's not compatible. I did a quick check before beginning the installation and the card in my 311 is a Broadcom 4312, which I believe is a good thing. It's part of the patched 802.11 Family kext. I'm hopeful.

Just yet I don't have much to report other than that, but I will later this evening when I know more. I made notes of my choices for the installation and I will report back on what does and doesn't work if I got it right. Otherwise I will keep trying until I get something working. It booted iDeneb without issue, and pretty quickly, too, so no signs of trouble yet. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

- Adam

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts
Finally, another 311 owner :)

I have had my 311 for about a week now and with Leo, Wifi,BT,Ethernet and Camera all work with a vanilla install.

Under Snow Leo, BT and Ethernet work, No Wifi.

Pretty promising that it even boots the vanilla kernal with minimal to no tweaking.

I really want to get everything functioning in SL, Keep us posted on here of your progress, as will I.

adachis

adachis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Under Snow Leo, BT and Ethernet work, No Wifi.

What card do you have? WiFi is working for me. I have the Broadcom 4312 and it works great.

I have a working 10.5.8 installation right now, likely with some exceptions and one glaring one. The one I'm not sure about is sleep. The machine appears to be sleeping but the screen doesn't turn off, if that makes sense. If I close it, the screen turns off. It turns off WiFi and appears to sleep, but it does so with the screen on. Weird.

Anyway, the biggest issue is video. I'm really hoping you got it to work because I haven't had any success yet. Basically, it doesn't recognize the NVidia ION. I've only been able to sort of find information about customizing NVDarwin.kext in order to get it to load. The instructions are really vague (I'm referring to Dreamwatcher's post here: http://www.insanelym...p/t164051.html). I was able to perform the modifications as I understand them, but they didn't seem to work. Either I did them incorrectly or they're just not applicable in this situation, I don't know. Anyway, if you know how to get the graphics working properly I would love to know. Everything else is functioning well enough that if graphics work, it's pretty much an ideal situation (for me, anyway). Right now it's stuck at 1024x768 and the performance is terrible.

Any ideas?

-----

Bootloader: Chameleon v2
Kernel: 9.8.0 Vanilla

Essential Patches:
- AppleDecrypt
- ACPI Fix
- Apple SMBIOS Enablers: SMBIOS Enabler (makes the machine reference itself as Somemodel)
- Disabler
- DSDT Patcher
- Time Machine Fix
- Open Halt Restart
- PS/2 Drivers: ApplePS2Old (VoodooPS2 Trackpad doesn't detect anything and therefore no trackpad control)
- AboutThisMac Fix
- SystemProfiler Fix

Fix
- CPUS=1_Fix
- Firewire Remove
- SD/SDHCI Drivers

Drivers
- Audio: VoodooHDA (AppleAzaliaAudio doesn't work)
- Chipset: ACHI SATA/IDE
- Network: Broadcom Wifi (works!) and AppleYukon2 (don't know if this works, haven't tested)
- System Management: SpeedStep (by superhai, works!) and Voodoo Battery (also works!)
- Video: None

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

What card do you have? WiFi is working for me. I have the Broadcom 4312 and it works great.

I have a working 10.5.8 installation right now,

Wifi works for me too under 10.5.8.. 10.6 is a totally different kettle of fish though....

I have the same Broadcom 4312 chipset.

Im with you, Video is a major issue at the moment.

Ion support is little to none given how new it is...

Ill keep fiddling with EFI strings and let you know how I go, please do the same :)

Wooo Hooo !!!

I got 1366 x 768 working !!! (looks amazing)

I used osx86 tools to insert a custom EFI string....

Let me know how you go...

adachis

adachis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Wooo Hooo !!!

I got 1366 x 768 working !!! (looks amazing)

I used osx86 tools to insert a custom EFI string....

Let me know how you go...

Oh, well them I am in no hurry to upgrade if 10.6 breaks WiFi. I'm assuming the old kext is no good?

So what is the custom EFI string you used to get it to work?

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

Oh, well them I am in no hurry to upgrade if 10.6 breaks WiFi. I'm assuming the old kext is no good?

So what is the custom EFI string you used to get it to work?

Yeah, I have dropped back to 10.5.8 due to to many things not working.

When you use OSX86 tools and select Custom EFI it statrs a wizard asking you 3 or 4 questions and it builds the string for you.

I selected the following settings.

Name: nVidia Ion
Memory: 128mb
Output: VGA/DVI
Then you just put in the max res of 1366x768x32 in the next window and then follow the promps to add to boot plist.

If you get an error, just keep going and then reboot :)

Let me know how you go.

Did you get the WWAN (Sim Card) module with yours ?

adachis

adachis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Yeah, I have dropped back to 10.5.8 due to to many things not working.

When you use OSX86 tools and select Custom EFI it statrs a wizard asking you 3 or 4 questions and it builds the string for you.

I selected the following settings.

Name: nVidia Ion
Memory: 128mb
Output: VGA/DVI
Then you just put in the max res of 1366x768x32 in the next window and then follow the promps to add to boot plist.

If you get an error, just keep going and then reboot :)

Let me know how you go.

Did you get the WWAN (Sim Card) module with yours ?

That's weird because I Googled for the information this morning and used those exact settings (I think...) on a hunch and it didn't work. I must've set something wrong. Probably the VRAM. I'm pretty sure I set it to 128MB, though. I did not put in the max res setting you suggested, however, so I'll have to try that when I get back home. I really hope it works. It fixes the video glitches and the slowness, too?

I really wanted to get the WWAN but I have a MiFi with Verizon and I'd have to pay double to add another device. So stupid. They give a 5GB cap, so what does it matter if I use a different device? I hope that changes soon. Did you get WWAN?

What's been your experience with sleep? I've been caught up with the graphics stuff so far that I haven't really tried to get sleep to work yet. It sort of works. It acts like it's sleeping, but it drains the battery like it isn't (plus the screen stays on in a frozen state if I don't close the machine).

Also, what kext did you install for Ethernet to get it to work? I installed AppleYukon2 and I haven't tried it so I don't know if it works, mainly because I won't use it and don't care, but I figure it would be good to know so I can put it in my notes in case I want/need to know at some point.

Thank you for the help! I'm still learning a lot about how all of this works. It's fun, but also kind of sad that the highlight of my day is coming home to a netbook...but I'm okay with that for now :angel:.

- Adam

drywall

drywall

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I have had my 311 for about a week now and with Leo, Wifi,BT,Ethernet and Camera all work with a vanilla install.

Any idea about the headphone/mic jack? I'm strongly considering selling my MSI Wind to get a 311, but it's absolutely essential that I be able to use the headphone jack to listen to things while on an airplane.

adachis

adachis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Any idea about the headphone/mic jack? I'm strongly considering selling my MSI Wind to get a 311, but it's absolutely essential that I be able to use the headphone jack to listen to things while on an airplane.

I haven't checked yet but it's acting like the Mini 5101 so I'm going to hazard a guess here (and will report back with factual information later when I can test this). It looks like the audio control is limited to being controlled through the VoodooHDA preference pane. That means volume adjustments, but I think you have to set the output in Sound actually. I don't remember so this is turning into a pretty useless post. But my guess is yes, it will work, but it's not as seamless as it could be. I'd bet there are some work arounds and someone smarter than me with this stuff could make some suggestions. I thought I saw some software recently that lets you switch inputs and outputs from the menu bar. I believe it may have been SoundSource (http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies). There's also some other app that I have that has a star for an icon that I believe is for making the function keys, well, function properly. I'll check on that when I get back, too. But I think manual switching will let you use the headphone port no problem. I'll post back with evidence later (unless somebody beats me to it).

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

That's weird because I Googled for the information this morning and used those exact settings (I think...) on a hunch and it didn't work. I must've set something wrong. Probably the VRAM. I'm pretty sure I set it to 128MB, though. I did not put in the max res setting you suggested, however, so I'll have to try that when I get back home. I really hope it works. It fixes the video glitches and the slowness, too?

Weird, It worked in Snow Leopard for me, im currently installing 10.5.8 so will report back how I go in 10.5.8 once installed (brought netbook to work with me today to play :(

I really wanted to get the WWAN but I have a MiFi with Verizon and I'd have to pay double to add another device. So stupid. They give a 5GB cap, so what does it matter if I use a different device? I hope that changes soon. Did you get WWAN?

Ahh, I understand... Yeah I did get the WWAN module however I know its going to be epic trying to get it going in OSX.

What's been your experience with sleep? I've been caught up with the graphics stuff so far that I haven't really tried to get sleep to work yet. It sort of works. It acts like it's sleeping, but it drains the battery like it isn't (plus the screen stays on in a frozen state if I don't close the machine).

I havent played with sleep much either, mine behaves as you describe. What battery kext did you use ?

Also, what kext did you install for Ethernet to get it to work? I installed AppleYukon2 and I haven't tried it so I don't know if it works, mainly because I won't use it and don't care, but I figure it would be good to know so I can put it in my notes in case I want/need to know at some point.

I didn't install any specific ethernet kext, it has worked by default in both 10.5 and 10.6

Thank you for the help! I'm still learning a lot about how all of this works. It's fun, but also kind of sad that the highlight of my day is coming home to a netbook...but I'm okay with that for now :) .

Qnytime, its just good to have another person with the 311 to bounce ideas around with :)

- Adam

adachis

adachis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
People have gotten WWAN to work before, haven't they? I hope you can get it to work. It's Gobi, right? I suppose there aren't really Mac drivers for Gobi...or really any integrated EVDO/HSDPA.

I hope the EFI string plan still works in 10.5.8. It's probably just that I screwed something up. Did you have NVdarwin, NVenabler, or NVinject installed as well, or did you just do the EFI string thing?

I used VoodooBattery from superhai with all the Speedstep stuff. Speedstep seems to work perfectly and the VoodooBattery doesn't always estimate the time accurately, but it is accurate when it doesn't read 10:00. It does measure the percentage just fine. On the plus side, unlike my HP Mini 1000, it does not warn me of low battery every ten seconds when it drops below 35%. So that's a plus.

Now to finish up work so I can get home and try to make some progress!

sherwink20

sherwink20

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hey guys, just a quick question: which configuration would seem to have the best possibility to work with osx (even if its only 10.5.8)

it's just that I have to decide now, as my aunt is already leaving the US in a couple of weeks. and I have to configure it right now.

am eyeing on the n280, and the wireless n + bluetooth. would that seem "feasible"?

adachis

adachis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

am eyeing on the n280, and the wireless n + bluetooth. would that seem "feasible"?

Mine is an N280, but I opted for wireless G in hopes it would be more compatible. It is compatible (in 10.5.x at least) as it's a Broadcom 4312. The wireless N card HP uses in their Mini 5101 is also Broadcom, but isn't compatible. We don't know what wireless N card is used in the 311 since nobody who got it with N has posted yet. If you want to play it safe, I'd go with G since we know that works and what it is. You can always use Ethernet if you need faster transfers, get a small wireless N adapter or upgrade your card at some point. I guess it depends how important it is to you.

sherwink20

sherwink20

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for this buddy! I guess I'll be ordering the wireless G + bluetooth. thanks!

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts
Just a quick update:

The above mentioned EFI string works in 10.5.8 :wacko:

Just need QE now...

adachis

adachis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I tried the EFI string trick and it's a no go. It seemed to work better this time, in that I actually get the Apple during boot and it's at the correct resolution and everything but then it just freezes on that and refuses to boot. Booting in verbose mode just gives me a black screen once it finishes booting. I wonder what made it work in 10.6 and not here. Did you have any kexts installed to help in some way?

Just a quick update:

The above mentioned EFI string works in 10.5.8 :wacko:

Just need QE now...

Well if you got it working then clearly I did something wrong. I'm not sure what I'm doing differently, though. Here's what I'm doing step by step...

- I opened OSx86 Tools and click the "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag" button, opening a window called "Boot Editor."
- In the top left corner, I clicked the "GFX Strings" button.
- A new window opens offering a choice of graphics cards. In the list, there is no nVidia Ion or nVidia GeForce 9400M so I chose "Custom GeForce" instead.
- I was prompted for a name, and I entered "nVidia Ion" (without the quotes, of course) and clicked "OK."
- A list then popped up asking for my VRAM size. I chose 128MB and clicked "OK."
- A list then popped up asking for me to choose my display output configuration (NVCAP), giving me the option of "DVI-I / DVI-I," "VGA / DVI-I," "DVI-I / VGA" and "Custom." I chose "VGA / DVI-I."
- After pressing "OK," I got a new window with the plist file in the top half and the hex EFI string in the bottom half. I clicked the button called "Import String into Bootloader."
- That added the information into the "Boot Editor" window but I still had to fill out the default resolution. I entered 1366x768x32.
- Lastly, I clicked the "Apply changes to com.apple.Boot.plist" button. The computer then restarted but never managed to actually boot.

Does any of that sound wrong? Did I make a mistake somewhere?

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

I tried the EFI string trick and it's a no go. It seemed to work better this time, in that I actually get the Apple during boot and it's at the correct resolution and everything but then it just freezes on that and refuses to boot. Booting in verbose mode just gives me a black screen once it finishes booting. I wonder what made it work in 10.6 and not here. Did you have any kexts installed to help in some way?

Well if you got it working then clearly I did something wrong. I'm not sure what I'm doing differently, though. Here's what I'm doing step by step...

- I opened OSx86 Tools and click the "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag" button, opening a window called "Boot Editor."
- In the top left corner, I clicked the "GFX Strings" button.
- A new window opens offering a choice of graphics cards. In the list, there is no nVidia Ion or nVidia GeForce 9400M so I chose "Custom GeForce" instead.
- I was prompted for a name, and I entered "nVidia Ion" (without the quotes, of course) and clicked "OK."
- A list then popped up asking for my VRAM size. I chose 128MB and clicked "OK."
- A list then popped up asking for me to choose my display output configuration (NVCAP), giving me the option of "DVI-I / DVI-I," "VGA / DVI-I," "DVI-I / VGA" and "Custom." I chose "VGA / DVI-I."
- After pressing "OK," I got a new window with the plist file in the top half and the hex EFI string in the bottom half. I clicked the button called "Import String into Bootloader."
- That added the information into the "Boot Editor" window but I still had to fill out the default resolution. I entered 1366x768x32.
- Lastly, I clicked the "Apply changes to com.apple.Boot.plist" button. The computer then restarted but never managed to actually boot.

Does any of that sound wrong? Did I make a mistake somewhere?

Strange that its not working for you as thats 100% the steps I went through.

Is your Mini booting at all now ?

Has anything changed in the "About This Mac" in the Displays section ?

adachis

adachis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Strange that its not working for you as thats 100% the steps I went through.

Is your Mini booting at all now ?

Has anything changed in the "About This Mac" in the Displays section ?

It won't boot at all. Just gets stuck. I had to reinstall. Maybe there's an easier way to fix the issue in single user mode but I don't know how so I just reinstalled. It's back to functioning, but at 1024x768.

Is there anything else you did in relation to the graphics? Are you using any special kexts I might not be? What are you using for SMBIOS? I read somewhere a few days ago that is relevant, though I'm not sure why.

I can't figure why mine is having issues. I wonder if I'm installing something via iDeneb that's causing some sort of conflict. How are you installing 10.5.8? Did you patch your own DVD or are you using a distribution? I listed my choices in the previous post...does any of that look bad to you?

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

It won't boot at all. Just gets stuck. I had to reinstall. Maybe there's an easier way to fix the issue in single user mode but I don't know how so I just reinstalled. It's back to functioning, but at 1024x768.

Is there anything else you did in relation to the graphics? Are you using any special kexts I might not be? What are you using for SMBIOS? I read somewhere a few days ago that is relevant, though I'm not sure why.

I can't figure why mine is having issues. I wonder if I'm installing something via iDeneb that's causing some sort of conflict. How are you installing 10.5.8? Did you patch your own DVD or are you using a distribution? I listed my choices in the previous post...does any of that look bad to you?

I think its going to be something to do with iDeneb.

I restored a Retail (copy) of Leopard to an external drive then used NetbookBoot Loader to prep the drive (Boot loader Etc)

Do you have a Leopard 10.5 ISO or Disk around ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy