• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

Johnston411

Johnston411

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

You need to use Show all file application to show hidden file or use Terminal command.

Open terminal and type these commands:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

To hide the files again hen you are finished just go back into Terminal and type:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder

Cheers for that. I did wonder why i couldn't find it

I'll give it a go in a bit ;)

EDIT: show all files didn't uncover smbios.plist so i ended up using the kext

macusers

macusers

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Cheers for that. I did wonder why i couldn't find it

I'll give it a go in a bit :D

EDIT: show all files didn't uncover smbios.plist so i ended up using the kext

After show all file then it should be under volume/extra/smbios

Acidfever

Acidfever

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
I've tried the smbios hack: Doesn't work.

I also tried the kext. Seems to work but this kills my shutdown functionality. Weird!

DigitalDJ

DigitalDJ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

I've tried the smbios hack: Doesn't work.

I also tried the kext. Seems to work but this kills my shutdown functionality. Weird!

If the kext works, the smbios plist with PC_EFI 10.4 will work, as long as you specify the right CPU.

KarateMiszcz

KarateMiszcz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Someone please help me (see attached screenshot)

- sysctl shows my cpu correctly: Core 2 Duo E8400
- iStat shows 2 cores are working
- System Profiler shows Intel Core 2 Solo with 1 core
- Cpu-X shows Core 2 Duo E8400 with ONE core.

I have tried many solutions: smbios editing, CPUInjector - no go.

I got PC_EFI 10.5 (tried the boot file from chameleon 2rc3 aswell).

Anyone? ;)

Screenshot:

Posted Image

Camilom

Camilom

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everybody,

I'm really new to all this, been trying for the last couple of weeks to install Leopard on my toshiba. I've finally managed it, everything works fine except for wifi (intel wireless 3945 abg -kind of losing hope on that one). When trying to download some lessons for GarageBand I had a problem since it says that content could not be available without a dual core processor.
When I check on windows xp with CPUZ I get this:

Intel Core Duo T2050 @ 1.60 GHz
Instructs MMX,SSE, SSE2, SSE3
2 Cores
DDR2 RAM 2560 MB

When I check on "About this Mac" I get:

Mac
MacbookPro 4.1
Genuine Intel CPU T2050 @ 1.60 GHz

And on "System Profiler":
Processor Intel Core Duo
Total Number of Cores : 1

How do I fix this?

Thanks for your help!

MacKonsti

MacKonsti

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
Good afternoon to all thread members and gurus, I was trying to read the whole thread to find a reply to the question, but nothing clear was said:

What is the difference between the CPU scopes in all DSDT.aml found? Mine originally had zeros...
Processor (\_PR.CPU0, 0x00, 0x00000000, 0x00) {} etc.
and
Processor (\_PR.CPU0, 0x00, 0x00000410, 0x06) {} etc.
Some have 0410 and others 0810. Are they copied from dumps from original Macs?

What is served if I place the numbers instead of zero's? I have a Q9550 processor. Are these CPU-model-related?

(made a successful DSDT.aml for my Shuttle XPC SG31G2 that runs x64 and sleeps well, no SleepEnabler or NullCPUManagement needed for current 10.6.1)

Thanks in advance.

Philip_2nd

Philip_2nd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Now that Apple sells core i7 imacs, 10.6.2 might be able to recognize a core i7.
Does somebody knows the SMcputype for a core i7 ?

subzeroash

subzeroash

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
It's probably blasphemy to say that I used Rebel EFI to install Snow Leopard because their code is stolen from this forum. My justification is that Psystar figured out how to turn all of this into a simple one-click install, so I'm paying them to save me time.

I only bought parts that they have certified, so everything works perfectly out of the box... except my Core i7-920 is "unknown". After reading through this thread, I am very confused how to fix this. I tried putting the CPUInjector in System > Library > Extensions and restarting, but that didn't do anything.

Is there anyone who can come up with instructions a complete n00b can understand?

angelh

angelh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

This didn't work for me when loaded from the EFI partition (I've got a Q9550 and left the cpu-type string at default).

The same here. My Q9550 is also still shown as default cpu-string, so it's not working for me as well.

But this is just "nice-to-have", right? The speed, number of processors/cores are correct recognized so I guess this is not impacting the performance at all.

Regards,
Angy

scwhar

scwhar

Scwhar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I had a problem with E7400 being recognized as core 2 solo (should be duo), this was fixed by BIOS setting "Max CPUID value limit" - which has to be disabled - then CPU is correctly recognized. Nothing, PC EFI 10.5, SMbios etc would get the right thing to display with that setting enabled.

This is probably obvious if you know what that setting does, but I didn't and I had to try every setting imaginible to install iPC on my board. Hope this might help someone with a misidentified CPU.

pOxbOx

pOxbOx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Now that Apple sells core i7 imacs, 10.6.2 might be able to recognize a core i7.

Yes, that would be interesting,

yozloy

yozloy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
expend my knowledge of sl

MinusZwei

MinusZwei

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Coders
  • 28 posts

I am also quite curious about this topic. I have currently my smbios.plist which injects a MacPro4,1 as model type, and using Chameleon 2.0 RC4, my Core i7 920 CPU is seen as Quad Core Xeon, which I guess is normal. But... as i7 based iMacs are running 10.6.2, the "ressources" to display i7 as i7 must be here without any special hack no?

The question is, if I don't specify any SMcputype, and modify my smbios.plist to inject iMac10,1 as model name (which is the 27" model name) and a valid boot ROM version (which I don't have at the moment), will my CPU appear as a Core i7 in the system profiler ?

pOxbOx

pOxbOx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

I am also quite curious about this topic. I have currently my smbios.plist which injects a MacPro4,1 as model type, and using Chameleon 2.0 RC4, my Core i7 920 CPU is seen as Quad Core Xeon, which I guess is normal. But... as i7 based iMacs are running 10.6.2, the "ressources" to display i7 as i7 must be here without any special hack no?

The question is, if I don't specify any SMcputype, and modify my smbios.plist to inject iMac10,1 as model name (which is the 27" model name) and a valid boot ROM version (which I don't have at the moment), will my CPU appear as a Core i7 in the system profiler ?

Interesting,

did you try, to see if it's working ?

MinusZwei

MinusZwei

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Coders
  • 28 posts
Ok. I get some stuff. First of all, this is what System Profiler outputs on a real iMac 27" with a Core i7 inside (French Mac OS version, but I think it is clear enough, even for non-french speakers):

Informations matériel :

Nom du modèle : iMac
Identifiant du modèle : iMac11,1
Nom du processeur : Intel Core i7
Vitesse du processeur : 2,8 GHz
Nombre de processeurs : 1
Nombre total de cœurs : 4
Cache de niveau 2 (par cœur) : 256 Ko
Cache de niveau 3 : 8 Mo
Mémoire : 4 Go
Vitesse d’interconnexion du processeur : 4.8 GT/s
Version de la ROM de démarrage : IM111.0034.B00
Version SMC (système) : 1.54f33
Numéro de série (système) : W89-----5RU
UUID du matériel : XXXXXXXXX

(Serial halfy masked and UUID intentionnaly replaced)

My experiments (and results)

First of all, a short summary of my config:
  • MB: Asus Rampage II Extreme
  • CPU: Core i7 920
  • Mac OS X 10.6.2
  • Bootloader: Chameleon 2.0 RC4
  • fakesmc 2.5

My com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist are attached.
What I also did is using plist property editor to change the SMC version to 1.54f33 like above, and patching my DSDT.dsl like following:

DefinitionBlock ("./dsdt.aml", "DSDT", 1, "APPLE", "iMac", 0x00110001)

and

Scope (_PR)
	{
		Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
		Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
		Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
		Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
		Processor (P005, 0x05, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
		Processor (P006, 0x06, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
		Processor (P007, 0x07, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
		Processor (P008, 0x08, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	}

Even with all these modifications, I still get a Quad Xeon as CPU type:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.67 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 6 GB
Bus Speed: 533 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM111.0034.800
SMC Version (system): 1.54f33
Serial Number (system): G89-----SRU
Hardware UUID: XXXXX

So what I am thinking now, is that
  • either Chameleon/fakesmc CPU detection algorithm is injecting the CPUType automatically and, of course the value of 1281 is used, which means Xeon
  • or OSX outputs i7 only when connected to a Socket 1156, which is not my case (1366, like the xeons of mac pro)

I would definitly go for the first option, but as I did not have (yet) looked in the fakesmc and Chameleon source code, I cannot be 100% sure on this one.

Attached Files

Terc

Terc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
First off, it's working great. Thanks for a job well done.

But, I'm wondering if I could get my Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) reported properly. What number would I use? Core Duos were used in at least the first Intel Mac Mini (I actually own one, so if you need me to check something on that computer to determine how to properly report Core Duo processors, I would be glad to)

freakyfrnak

freakyfrnak

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello Im a bit curios about this problem:
I have Snow Leopard installed. and currently the PC-EFI bootloader. My CPU has been detected right away without any patching and sutch (intel 2 core duo) but the CPU speed is wrong (2.46 -> should be 2.53)
Did a Benchmark with cinebench and with SL i get 5080 multicpu-points in Leopard(iAtkos) i get 5550 (In leopard the CPU was reconized right out of the box)
Get the same results in x86_64 and i386

I tried already following:
- Installed diffrent bootloaders (PC-EFI 10.5, Chameleon RC4, Patched Chameleon)
- Edited the smbios.plist (just overrides tech infos, cpu is not faster)
- Tried the CPU-Inject.kext
- Made a dtsd with the dsdt-patcher-gui (didnt edited myself, cause i dont know how at the moment)

Has anybody a clue what could help (createing manually a dsdt? wait for a new bootloader?)

Thx

SPECS: Intel 2 Core Duo T9400

jannes3000

jannes3000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Torq 1.5.2, Logic Studio 9.0.2, OS X86, weekends, pubs, friends, girls
Well why not just download my attached file (aboutthismac.pkg) and be happy with the new "About this Mac" section? :)

Attached Files

tonhe98

tonhe98

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
thank you for your work. I can't wait to try this out

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy