Getting Snow Leopard to recognize your CPU

DigitalDJ

227 posts in this topic

Hi

Boy, do I want to fix this issue. My problem is that I have an otherwise clean installation. I had so much difficulty getting that installation, that I don't want to f*** it up. Can you tell me what file to change without using a new bootloader? I have a q6600. There are a few apps that seem to react negatively to the unknown processor problem.

Sure would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Pandar

To everyone,

In order for the cpu detection to function using the modified Chameleon RC3 "boot" file, the following key must be removed from the "com.apple.Boot.plist" file in /Extra:

<key>SMBIOSdefaults</key>

<string>No</string>

Enjoy,

ccg

Boot file works great.... Reporting intel core 2 duo.

The kext reported intel xenon for some reason.... :)

One question:

Y does Leopard report my overclock correctly in system profiler / about this mac / CPU-X but Snow doesn't????

Hi,

Kext works superbly on my SL 10.6.1. Thank you.

Despite this being in SL section, I went and tried to use it on Leopard because I wanted this function in Leopard and it didn't work at all. (once in /E/E and once in /S/L/E)

I was wondering if you can make a version for leopard....?

I'd use SL if it was stable.. but it's giving me nothing but troubles even though installation was painless.

The bootloader injects these 131 and 132 tables :D

Which boot loader? There are many so please be clear about it. After all... not everyone is using Chameleon RC3. I can't because of bugs in it.

The question now is: do I need a boot loader which injects SMBIOS tables, or will your kext take care of it?

Boot file works great.... Reporting intel core 2 duo.

The kext reported intel xenon for some reason.... :D

One question:

Y does Leopard report my overclock correctly in system profiler / about this mac / CPU-X but Snow doesn't????

You didn't edit the Info.plist in the injector to change your CPU type to Core2 Duo (the default is Xeon). The bootloader auto detected 2 cores and set Core2 Duo.

I was wondering if you can make a version for leopard....?

I don't have Leopard installed. You can use the modified Chameleon RC3 that I provided with Leopard.

Which boot loader? There are many so please be clear about it. After all... not everyone is using Chameleon RC3. I can't because of bugs in it.

I think I'm pretty clear about it if you read the topic. It says a "modified Chameleon RC3 with netkas' PC_EFI 10.3" right under the bold text. If for some weird reason you can't use Chameleon, use the kext. Correct me if I'm wrong but there aren't that many bootloaders. Chameleon, PC_EFI (which practically is Chameleon) and BootThink. 2 of which are open source, and essentially the same...so I wonder which I modified :P

I think I'm pretty clear about it if you read the topic. It says a "modified Chameleon RC3 with netkas' PC_EFI 10.3" right under the bold text.

Sorry. Just woke up. Missed it. I used the kext and it works.

If for some weird reason you can't use Chameleon, use the kext.

Weird reasons? Well, if it only recognized all 1TB SAMSUNG drives properly... which I tell it doesn't.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there aren't that many bootloaders. Chameleon, PC_EFI (which practically is Chameleon) and BootThink. 2 of which are open source, and essentially the same...so I wonder which I modified :D

I meant many as in many different version, not types – there are many different version of Chameleon :P

Back to hacking the TSSTcorp drive fix. Later!

p.s. I forgot to say: "Good Job". Here ya go. Good Job!

for those who are as anal as I am about the system profiler and If you are still not satisfied, you can follow AquaMac's guide on how to modify the systemprofiler:

http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co...rofilermo.html

All you need to add this line to override the Xeon processor name displayed in system profiler. For my case, it would be:

"Quad-Core Intel Xeon" = "Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550";

Repair permission and then logout/reboot

Macs don't report model numbers. So you being "anal" about this would in fact be rather contradictory. But yeah, completely pointless edit because that model will only show up in System Profiler, no where else in the operating system.

EDIT: Opps... deleted my original post with the attempt of editing the post....

For those who are as anal as I am about the system profiler and If you are still not satisfied with "Quad-Core Intel Xeon", you can follow AquaMac's guide on how to modify the systemprofiler:

http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co...rofilermo.html

All you need to add this line to override the Xeon processor name displayed in system profiler. For my case, it would be:

"Quad-Core Intel Xeon" = "Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550";

Repair permission and then logout/reboot

Macs don't report model numbers. So you being "anal" about this would in fact be rather contradictory. But yeah, completely pointless edit because that model will only show up in System Profiler, no where else in the operating system.

Ya, seriously, it was just for my own sicko obsession of making things "display" "correctly" :P

post-197144-1255198117_thumb.jpg

Weird reasons? Well, if it only recognized all 1TB SAMSUNG drives properly... which I tell it doesn't.

I really don't get why you are so "weird" sometimes, do you think chameleon dev's have time and can fix all PC industry {censored}?

Spamming and complaining on all threads you can about how bad is chameleon you think will get your bug fixed, or ignored?

Instead that why not acting like a normal guy(like DigitalDJ and others) fix it by yourself and post the diff?

That is how it should be on open source project, don't expect from others to fix your mess, sometimes you may be lucky some times not.

Not to mention, from what I understand you didn't even bother to reformat the drive and see if the problem persist...

update the boot file and get it working for my Q6600 immediately, nice.. BUT it broke the video autodetection for my nvidia 8400GS so only one monitor working (I have dual display)! It also broke the DSDT hack of changing ICH10 to ESB2 SATA controller (eliminate the need of IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext for orange icon). Nothing under SATA in the SystemProfiler...

Restore back to original boot file, back to normal...

[Edit] compile chameleon myself with only the CPU injector code change. work ok for me now.

@DijitalDJ: would you mind updating the chameleon source over there on their project page? or how is that done? i've no clue how these projects work :pirate2:

otherwise everytime chameleon gets updated the patch will need to be re-applied right? just a suggestion

@DijitalDJ: would you mind updating the chameleon source over there on their project page? or how is that done? i've no clue how these projects work :D

otherwise everytime chameleon gets updated the patch will need to be re-applied right? just a suggestion

He has and Zef has said that the changes are committed. :)

Thanks DigitalDJ, CPUInject.kext is awesome. One step closer to Hackintosh nirvana.

System Profiler:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<array>
<dict>
	<key>_dataType</key>
	<string>SPHardwareDataType</string>
	<key>_detailLevel</key>
	<string>-2</string>
	<key>_items</key>
	<array>
		<dict>
			<key>SMC_version_system</key>
			<string>1.30f3</string>
			<key>_name</key>
			<string>hardware_overview</string>
			<key>boot_rom_version</key>
			<string>IM91.008D.B08</string>
			<key>bus_speed</key>
			<string>1.33 GHz</string>
			<key>cpu_type</key>
			<string>Intel Core 2 Duo</string>
			<key>current_processor_speed</key>
			<string>3.17 GHz</string>
			<key>l2_cache</key>
			<string>6 MB</string>
			<key>machine_model</key>
			<string>iMac9,1</string>
			<key>machine_name</key>
			<string>iMac</string>
			<key>number_processors</key>
			<integer>2</integer>
			<key>packages</key>
			<integer>1</integer>
			<key>physical_memory</key>
			<string>2 GB</string>
			<key>platform_UUID</key>
			<string>00000000-0000-X000-X000-00XXXXXXXXXX</string>
			<key>serial_number</key>
			<string>XXXXXXXXXXX</string>
		</dict>
	</array>

Only Reggie SE complaining now.

Adobe.com still offers the PPC version of Shockwave, even on an Intel build of Firefox. I was expecting this to be fixed by CPUInject.kext as well. Maybe it's does the same thing on real Intel Macs too.

@ DigitalDJ

Reggie SE (via CHUD Hardware Tools) shows my CPU cores as 3096MHz Intel Xeon 51XX v15.0 but when I try to install Silverlight on my SL 10.6.1 syste, I get a message saying that it cannot be installed on a PPC machine......

Is CHUD not actually not recognising the CPU as a 3096MHz Intel Xeon 51XX v15.0 or what?

@ DigitalDJ

Reggie SE (via CHUD Hardware Tools) shows my CPU cores as 3096MHz Intel Xeon 51XX v15.0 but when I try to install Silverlight on my SL 10.6.1 syste, I get a message saying that it cannot be installed on a PPC machine......

Is CHUD not actually not recognising the CPU as a 3096MHz Intel Xeon 51XX v15.0 or what?

hi, the Silverlight installer also don't work for me, but you can extract the plug-in with pacifist and install it manualy :unsure:

ps: reggie se still show "Unknown processor type (0)" even with the cputype patch

hi, the Silverlight installer also don't work for me, but you can extract the plug-in with pacifist and install it manualy :)

ps: reggie se still show "Unknown processor type (0)" even with the cputype patch

Thanks for the tip, cparm.......

Putting the Silverlight.plugin into ~/Library/Internet PlugIns folder worked......Silverlight Showcase and http://www.nibblestutorials.net/ and http://www.thomas-wilmes.de/ are accessable without the need for DigitalDJ's CPUInject.kext or cputype autoinject bootfile........

But it could be only the Installation Check executable in the Installer package that attempts to detect the CPU.....i.e. an unknown CPU does not stop the Plugin working....?

But given that Reggie SE shows "Unknown processor type (0)" in your system but in my system lists my Q6600 CPU as a 3096MHz Intel Xeon 51XX v15.0 (Woodcrest) for each of the 4 CPU cores, perhaps this is what my OS is seeing........?

Interestingly, Reggie SE shows the "Unknown processor type (0)" pop-up window when run on my 10.5.6 system on the same MOBO.........

@ DigitalDJ

The System Profiler shows 3.1 GHz Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 and

sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string gives Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600.....but this is because About This Mac CPU info. has been modified via AppleSystemInfo.strings.......

VoodooMonitor1.tiff

VoodooMonitor2.tiff

VoodooMonitor3.tiff

Hello everyone I am a newb but want to learn, i run into a little problem so i need some help please and here is my problem, when i try to install this boot0 to my drive, this is what i got, where i do wrong ?. Thanks.

Keven-Trans-Mac-Pro:~ keventran$ sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1
Password:
fdisk: could not open MBR file boot0: No such file or directory

Hello everyone I am a newb but want to learn, i run into a little problem so i need some help please and here is my problem, when i try to install this boot0 to my drive, this is what i got, where i do wrong ?. Thanks.

Keven-Trans-Mac-Pro:~ keventran$ sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1
Password:
fdisk: could not open MBR file boot0: No such file or directory

You are in the wrong folder!

You should be on the i386 folder where is the boot0 file.

You are in the wrong folder!

You should be on the i386 folder where is the boot0 file.

I am sorry, but I did it from Terminal or I have to launch a certain file in the I386 folder then it open up the Terminal ? .

Another question, can I do this to my current Snow Leo Start up Disk or it has to be a blank volume ?. Thanks for your kindness.