Getting Snow Leopard to recognize your CPU

DigitalDJ

227 posts in this topic

just installed it, everything works, tried silverlight and there was no error about intel processor not found

its not a cosmetic hack cause i noticed that it also replaced the one i had wrote in about this mac

So it doesnt find "unknown processor" anymore

one thing..

GeekBench, still shows the real cpu (quad core)

Thanks for the reply Spanakorizo!

I am not having any issues to install silverlight or Adobse CS4. My issues are with VMware fusion / Parallels.

I tried to remove the check existent in VMware but it F***s up the install.

I work with several different virtual machines and this is really bogging me down. Leopard worked like a charm but again, SL is so much more responsive. =(

Help? Ayuda? Socorro?

Thanks, it now works. Well done guys.

Only thing is my Q6600 is seen as Quad Core Xeon - is the the best it'll get? (Maybe, I guess as per post from Digital DJ above.)

Edit /System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPPlatformReporter.spreporter/Contents/Resources/English.proj/Localizable.strings find the key

and replace

cpu_type = "Processor Name";

with

cpu_type = "Processor Name";"Quad-Core Intel Xeon"="Intel® Coreâ„¢2 Quad CPU Q6600";

then ur system profiler will report ur correct model. I personally edited mine to show Dual-Core Intel Xeon to make it look as close as to the real MacPro2,1

Real macs dont display CPU features by default so no it doesnt matter.

PS. you may want to edit this file using sudo from terminal so you wont have to drag it back and forth and repair permissions.

Edit /System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPPlatformReporter.spreporter/Contents/Resources/English.proj/Localizable.strings find the key

and replace

cpu_type = "Processor Name";

with

cpu_type = "Processor Name";"Quad-Core Intel Xeon"="Intel® Core�„�2 Quad CPU Q6600";

then ur system profiler will report ur correct model. I personally edited mine to show Dual-Core Intel Xeon to make it look as close as to the real MacPro2,1

PS. you may want to edit this file using sudo from terminal so you wont have to drag it back and forth and repair permissions.

When I posted this in the other thread on this subject, you said I had 'just managed to change the cosmetics of System Profiler'! - and you were right.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...186926&st=0

I still think there's a lot of confusion here.

For example, on my system for the Q6600, I get:

1) from 'sysctl -a | grep cpu'

machdep.cpu.vendor: GenuineIntel

machdep.cpu.brand_string: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

machdep.cpu.family: 6

machdep.cpu.model: 15

machdep.cpu.extmodel: 0

machdep.cpu.extfamily: 0

machdep.cpu.stepping: 11

machdep.cpu.feature_bits: 3219913727 58301

machdep.cpu.extfeature_bits: 537921536 1

machdep.cpu.signature: 1787

machdep.cpu.brand: 0

machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL VMX EST TM2 SSSE3 CX16 TPR PDCM

2) from 'system_profiler SPHardwareDataType'Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3.10 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

3) System Profiler - same as above (obviously!)

4) Geekbench - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.10 GHz

5) CPU-X - Intel Core2 CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz

Bizarre!

imacken,

have you tried/been able to install VMware Fusion or Parallels?

Yep, installed them both without a problem. However, when I first tried to install them - a couple of weeks ago - I did get the messages you mentioned.

Have you looked at this thread that I started a couple of weeks ago?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186926

I'm not saying it'll help but it might.

My CPU is being recognized as Intel Core 2 Duo (I have an E8400), but still, whenever I try to install VMware fusion it says it can only be installed if you own an Intel processor. Everything else works perfectly in my machine and I am using PC EFI V10.3.

Any thoughts?

Moloko

I didn't think VMware fusion or Paralells had any particular check. I've installed these perfectly, even with an Unknown CPU type. Are you sure that all your SMBIOS details are accurate?

just installed it, everything works, tried silverlight and there was no error about intel processor not found

its not a cosmetic hack cause i noticed that it also replaced the one i had wrote in about this mac

So it doesnt find "unknown processor" anymore

one thing..

GeekBench, still shows the real cpu (quad core)

GeekBench is supposed to show the real CPU name. This isn't what this extension is for. Real Macs will also report their actual CPU name in GeekBench.

Edit /System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPPlatformReporter.spreporter/Contents/Resources/English.proj

If you actually read this thread...you'd realize this is exactly what you DON'T want to do. This "fix" is 110% useless.

I still think there's a lot of confusion here.

For example, on my system for the Q6600, I get:

1) from 'sysctl -a | grep cpu'

machdep.cpu.vendor: GenuineIntel

machdep.cpu.brand_string: Intel� Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

machdep.cpu.family: 6

machdep.cpu.model: 15

machdep.cpu.extmodel: 0

machdep.cpu.extfamily: 0

machdep.cpu.stepping: 11

machdep.cpu.feature_bits: 3219913727 58301

machdep.cpu.extfeature_bits: 537921536 1

machdep.cpu.signature: 1787

machdep.cpu.brand: 0

machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL VMX EST TM2 SSSE3 CX16 TPR PDCM

2) from 'system_profiler SPHardwareDataType'Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3.10 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

3) System Profiler - same as above (obviously!)

4) Geekbench - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.10 GHz

5) CPU-X - Intel Core2 CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz

Bizarre!

What's bizzare exactly?

1. Is correct. The brand_string is ALWAYS static, no matter how much you overclock.

2. Is the result of either CPUInjector or editing the System Profiler

3. As above

4. GeekBench grabs your actual CPU name, trims down the string then finds your ACTUAL clock speed

5. CPU-X is just using the brand_string

DigitalDJ,

I didn't think that having a "corrupted" smbios would affect the installation of a software that required an intel processor. It is being recognized all over the system as intel core 2 duo but vmware and parallels are the only two that don't allow me to install it.

I am not a genius with smbios so I am attaching mine here, I have only changed the mem speed, processor speed and maxspeed settings. Everything else I have left from the template I got.

Any help is greatly appreciated :D

smbios.plist.zip

I didn't think VMware fusion or Paralells had any particular check. I've installed these perfectly, even with an Unknown CPU type. Are you sure that all your SMBIOS details are accurate?

They do have a check.

You have to delete the installation check in the install.mpkg if you are getting the 'only on Intel CPU' type error.

Try bumping the BIOS Version and Product Name to a MacPro3,1.

Also, attach outputs of sysctl -a | grep cpu and system_profiler SPHardwareDataType

I tried to remove the check, it installs with an error and when i tried to open it it didn't work. I could't find a workaround for VMware fusion (which is the one I prefer despite the lack of performance in contrast to parallels)

I am attaching both the sysgrep and the sysprofiler. Note my CPU is overclocked, therefore the 3.35 is a valid argument in the speed. Even under normal CPU clock I still get the same problem, therefore I don't think it is connected to the fact it is overclocked at all.

I've tried to bump it from macpro 2,1 to 5,1 and no results. Didn't think of doing anything with the BIOS. I will try that.

Thanks DigitalDJ!

Moloko.zip

I tried to remove the check, it installs with an error and when i tried to open it it didn't work. I could't find a workaround for VMware fusion (which is the one I prefer despite the lack of performance in contrast to parallels)

I am attaching both the sysgrep and the sysprofiler. Note my CPU is overclocked, therefore the 3.35 is a valid argument in the speed. Even under normal CPU clock I still get the same problem, therefore I don't think it is connected to the fact it is overclocked at all.

I've tried to bump it from macpro 2,1 to 5,1 and no results. Didn't think of doing anything with the BIOS. I will try that.

You're using a MacBookPro SMBIOS with a Desktop CPU. Might have something to do with it, might not.

Depends on the version, but here goes.

1) You have to copy the 'Install VMWare Fusion.app' to desktop

2) then select 'show package contents', go to 'contents/resources/Install VMWare Fusion.pkg'

3) then select 'show package contents', go to 'contents/resources'. Delete 'InstallationCheck' and you should be OK to go!

You're using a MacBookPro SMBIOS with a Desktop CPU. Might have something to do with it, might not.

I don't think it does. Because my leopard also stated as "macpro". But I will try with an iMac smbios.

Heading out to work. I will give it a whirl later.

Thanks for your help, I will let you know the results!

Depends on the version, but here goes.

1) You have to copy the 'Install VMWare Fusion.app' to desktop

2) then select 'show package contents', go to 'contents/resources/Install VMWare Fusion.pkg'

3) then select 'show package contents', go to 'contents/resources'. Delete 'InstallationCheck' and you should be OK to go!

This is the error i get (Check attached image)

post-296072-1254420185_thumb.png

No it doesn't. You'll need to edit your DSDT to get cpus=1 fixed for your machine. But there are other topics covering that subject. :wacko:

I still have panics with v1.1 of this extension. I also tried using Local-Root, but that doesn't make a difference. I'm not using anything like NullCPUPowerManagement, but fixed my HPET using DSDT, could that be causing the troubles? I still find it a bit awkward that everything does work OK when I use the -v option. I'm not sure what causes it to fix it.

Hey, works great for me on EFI partition!!!

Thanks!

I actually installed Parallels 5 beta and works like a charm with a Windows 7 virtual machine, including AERO effects!

For the guy that has problem with VM/Parallels: Make sure virtualization is enabled on BIOS (Intel VT). Otherwise it won't work.

Cheers!

I actually installed Parallels 5 beta and works like a charm with a Windows 7 virtual machine, including AERO effects!

For the guy that has problem with VM/Parallels: Make sure virtualization is enabled on BIOS (Intel VT). Otherwise it won't work.

Fusion 3 also has Aero and works well with W7, I believe!

Can't really help with that one. Are you trying to load an existing VM from a previous version or from Parallels or is this one you are trying to create?

Hi iMacken.

I fooled around with all sorts of settings yesterday. Changed BIOS version, changed date on the BIOS.

Used different mac models, from iMacs and MacPros and no luck.

I tried different smbios as well and still got not luck. I installed leopard again on another external hard drive and although the processor is unknown it still installs vmware/parallels without a hick.

I am completely lost on this one.

I created a brand new virtual machine. I also tried to update my permissions on my VM and that wasn't the case. Couldn't find a response for this error on google.

Any other suggestions? I am going :D

Thanks!

Hey, works great for me on EFI partition!!!

Thanks!

Cheers!

Yeah. It is on. My settings are the same ones I used for Leopard.

I am downloading VMware fusion 3 Beta 2 as we speak. Will give it a try.

Fusion 3 also has Aero and works well with W7, I believe!

Nope,

VMware Fusion doesn't support AERO 'cause the virtual display driver is not WDDM compliant.

EDIT: VMware Fusion 2 doesn't support AERO, but the beta does. I just checked. I did use the version 2 of Fusion and it didn't work.

Parallels 4 didn't support that, too.

From Parallels 5 beta, the virtual display adapter is WDDM compliant therefore the AERO effects can be enabled.

Trust me. I've tried everything, even registry hacks and no luck.

Back on topic, on Geekbench my hackintosh is listed as a "Hackintosh". Before on Leopard it was detected as a iMac. Now on Snow Leo, it was detected as a MacPro befor using this kext (I think). I have my SMBIOS.plist working. What can I do to make it work as a Mac???

Cheers!

Eh, I said Fusion 3 did I not? Sorry, but yes it does support Aero - trust me!

So, you've managed to install it on SL, and you get the error when you try to run it, yes?

I managed to install removing the installation check file. It would still give an error message at the end of the installation but the VMware application itself was installed on my mac partition. When I run it opens without a hitch, but opening a VM or trying to create a new VM generates that error.

imacken. What kexts do you have in your extensions folder? Are you using fakesmc? Are you using a dsdt file inside extra?

I am trying to figure out what is different inside our extras and/or extensions.

Cheers :wacko:

Nope,

VMware Fusion doesn't support AERO 'cause the virtual display driver is not WDDM compliant.

EDIT: VMware Fusion 2 doesn't support AERO, but the beta does. I just checked. I did use the version 2 of Fusion and it didn't work.

Eh, I said Fusion 3 did I not? Sorry, but yes it does support Aero - trust me!

Hi iMacken.

I fooled around with all sorts of settings yesterday. Changed BIOS version, changed date on the BIOS.

Used different mac models, from iMacs and MacPros and no luck.

I tried different smbios as well and still got not luck. I installed leopard again on another external hard drive and although the processor is unknown it still installs vmware/parallels without a hick.

I am completely lost on this one.

I created a brand new virtual machine. I also tried to update my permissions on my VM and that wasn't the case. Couldn't find a response for this error on google.

So, you've managed to install it on SL, and you get the error when you try to run it, yes?