• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

tweak41

tweak41

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Thanks for this, shows up nicely for my Core i7 (as Quad-Core Xeon) with the QPI value. B) For those of you using a CPU with a QPI, fill in the correct value divided by 4 in SMexternalclock. For example, I filled in 1200 to get a value of 4.8GT/s in System Profiler, which is correct for my i920. :)

I do have one remark though, I think the OSBundleRequired or dependencies aren't correct yet. The kext works fin in /E/E, but only when I boot with -v, which gives kexts a small delay in loading.
If I boot without -v, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement panics immediately. I'm gonna try some different OSBundleRequired values now, and see if it helps.

Thanks mate!
That did the trick(SMexternalclock=1200) now I have 4.8 GT/s :)

EDIT: Dur. It goes in smbios.plist.

Matthew L.

Matthew L.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Awesome find DigitalDJ, thanks for submitting this, it works really great!

BTW, is there any chance that it makes to DSDT patching?

(And for those who can't get it working from /Extra/Extensions: just correct the kext's Info.plist by changing OSBundleRequired to Root)

DigitalDJ

DigitalDJ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
I have updated both the source and kext to version 1.1 in the original post. This should fix the Extension not working in /E/E

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
Would be nice if you remove debug info also :D
I hate those...make it print only if something is wrong kthx.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,008 posts
This is great. It works as advertised from /E/E and I no longer need to change my AboutThisMac.strings.
Great work DigitalDJ :D

el_charlie

el_charlie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Great work guys.

I'll try this when I get home later. I had problems with Silverlight, too.

How do I check if it works????

Cheers!

molokinhu

molokinhu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Hey Guys! DigitalDJ, thanks for the great job man!
My CPU is being recognized as Intel Core 2 Duo (I have an E8400), but still, whenever I try to install VMware fusion it says it can only be installed if you own an Intel processor. Everything else works perfectly in my machine and I am using PC EFI V10.3.

Any thoughts?

Moloko

imacken

imacken

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Hey Guys! DigitalDJ, thanks for the great job man!
My CPU is being recognized as Intel Core 2 Duo (I have an E8400), but still, whenever I try to install VMware fusion it says it can only be installed if you own an Intel processor. Everything else works perfectly in my machine and I am using PC EFI V10.3.
Moloko

Oh oh! I hope you've done something wrong with your install, because that's the exact sort of thing this was hoped to fix!
The install can easily be fixed by a workaround, but it's the non-Intel message that's a worry.

molokinhu

molokinhu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Oh oh! I hope you've done something wrong with your install, because that's the exact sort of thing this was hoped to fix!
The install can easily be fixed by a workaround, but it's the non-Intel message that's a worry.

imacken,

I don't know. I have two different installs, a Testee one that I run from my External hard drive to try all kexts and changes before applying to my hard drive and both have the same issue. I made a retail install and the only thing I have in my extra folder is:
/Extra
smbios.plist
Extensions.mkxt
/Extensions
AHCIPortinjector.kext
CPUinjector.kext
fakesmc.kext
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext

I am not sure what (And if) I did something wrong. I have also tried with chameleon RC3 and got the same results. I'm not using a DSDT table.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Moloko

spanakorizo

spanakorizo

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

just installed it, everything works, tried silverlight and there was no error about intel processor not found
its not a cosmetic hack cause i noticed that it also replaced the one i had wrote in about this mac
So it doesnt find "unknown processor" anymore
one thing..
GeekBench, still shows the real cpu (quad core)

molokinhu

molokinhu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

just installed it, everything works, tried silverlight and there was no error about intel processor not found
its not a cosmetic hack cause i noticed that it also replaced the one i had wrote in about this mac
one thing..

Thanks for the reply Spanakorizo!

I am not having any issues to install silverlight or Adobse CS4. My issues are with VMware fusion / Parallels.
I tried to remove the check existent in VMware but it F***s up the install.
I work with several different virtual machines and this is really bogging me down. Leopard worked like a charm but again, SL is so much more responsive. =(
Help? Ayuda? Socorro?

Beto2k7

Beto2k7

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Thanks, it now works. Well done guys.

Only thing is my Q6600 is seen as Quad Core Xeon - is the the best it'll get? (Maybe, I guess as per post from Digital DJ above.)

Edit /System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPPlatformReporter.spreporter/Contents/Resources/English.proj/Localizable.strings find the key

and replace
cpu_type = "Processor Name";

with
cpu_type = "Processor Name";"Quad-Core Intel Xeon"="Intel® Core„2 Quad CPU Q6600";

then ur system profiler will report ur correct model. I personally edited mine to show Dual-Core Intel Xeon to make it look as close as to the real MacPro2,1

Real macs dont display CPU features by default so no it doesnt matter.

PS. you may want to edit this file using sudo from terminal so you wont have to drag it back and forth and repair permissions.

imacken

imacken

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Edit /System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPPlatformReporter.spreporter/Contents/Resources/English.proj/Localizable.strings find the key

and replace

cpu_type = "Processor Name";

with
cpu_type = "Processor Name";"Quad-Core Intel Xeon"="Intel® Core�€ž�2 Quad CPU Q6600";

then ur system profiler will report ur correct model. I personally edited mine to show Dual-Core Intel Xeon to make it look as close as to the real MacPro2,1

PS. you may want to edit this file using sudo from terminal so you wont have to drag it back and forth and repair permissions.

When I posted this in the other thread on this subject, you said I had 'just managed to change the cosmetics of System Profiler'! - and you were right.
http://www.insanelym...p...186926&st=0

I still think there's a lot of confusion here.

For example, on my system for the Q6600, I get:

1) from 'sysctl -a | grep cpu'
machdep.cpu.vendor: GenuineIntel
machdep.cpu.brand_string: Intel Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
machdep.cpu.family: 6
machdep.cpu.model: 15
machdep.cpu.extmodel: 0
machdep.cpu.extfamily: 0
machdep.cpu.stepping: 11
machdep.cpu.feature_bits: 3219913727 58301
machdep.cpu.extfeature_bits: 537921536 1
machdep.cpu.signature: 1787
machdep.cpu.brand: 0
machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL VMX EST TM2 SSSE3 CX16 TPR PDCM

2) from 'system_profiler SPHardwareDataType'Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3.10 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

3) System Profiler - same as above (obviously!)

4) Geekbench - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.10 GHz

5) CPU-X - Intel Core™2 CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz

Bizarre!

molokinhu

molokinhu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
imacken,

have you tried/been able to install VMware Fusion or Parallels?

imacken

imacken

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

imacken,

have you tried/been able to install VMware Fusion or Parallels?

Yep, installed them both without a problem. However, when I first tried to install them - a couple of weeks ago - I did get the messages you mentioned.
Have you looked at this thread that I started a couple of weeks ago?
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=186926
I'm not saying it'll help but it might.

DigitalDJ

DigitalDJ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Any thoughts?

Moloko

I didn't think VMware fusion or Paralells had any particular check. I've installed these perfectly, even with an Unknown CPU type. Are you sure that all your SMBIOS details are accurate?

one thing..

GeekBench is supposed to show the real CPU name. This isn't what this extension is for. Real Macs will also report their actual CPU name in GeekBench.

Edit /System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPPlatformReporter.spreporter/Contents/Resources/English.proj

If you actually read this thread...you'd realize this is exactly what you DON'T want to do. This "fix" is 110% useless.

I still think there's a lot of confusion here.

For example, on my system for the Q6600, I get:

1) from 'sysctl -a | grep cpu'
machdep.cpu.vendor: GenuineIntel
machdep.cpu.brand_string: Intel� Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
machdep.cpu.family: 6
machdep.cpu.model: 15
machdep.cpu.extmodel: 0
machdep.cpu.extfamily: 0
machdep.cpu.stepping: 11
machdep.cpu.feature_bits: 3219913727 58301
machdep.cpu.extfeature_bits: 537921536 1
machdep.cpu.signature: 1787
machdep.cpu.brand: 0
machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL VMX EST TM2 SSSE3 CX16 TPR PDCM

2) from 'system_profiler SPHardwareDataType'Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3.10 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

3) System Profiler - same as above (obviously!)

4) Geekbench - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.10 GHz

5) CPU-X - Intel Core™2 CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz

Bizarre!

What's bizzare exactly?

1. Is correct. The brand_string is ALWAYS static, no matter how much you overclock.
2. Is the result of either CPUInjector or editing the System Profiler
3. As above
4. GeekBench grabs your actual CPU name, trims down the string then finds your ACTUAL clock speed
5. CPU-X is just using the brand_string

molokinhu

molokinhu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
DigitalDJ,

I didn't think that having a "corrupted" smbios would affect the installation of a software that required an intel processor. It is being recognized all over the system as intel core 2 duo but vmware and parallels are the only two that don't allow me to install it.

I am not a genius with smbios so I am attaching mine here, I have only changed the mem speed, processor speed and maxspeed settings. Everything else I have left from the template I got.

Any help is greatly appreciated :D

Attached Files

imacken

imacken

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

I didn't think VMware fusion or Paralells had any particular check. I've installed these perfectly, even with an Unknown CPU type. Are you sure that all your SMBIOS details are accurate?

They do have a check.
You have to delete the installation check in the install.mpkg if you are getting the 'only on Intel CPU' type error.

DigitalDJ

DigitalDJ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Try bumping the BIOS Version and Product Name to a MacPro3,1.

Also, attach outputs of sysctl -a | grep cpu and system_profiler SPHardwareDataType

molokinhu

molokinhu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Try bumping the BIOS Version and Product Name to a MacPro3,1.

Also, attach outputs of sysctl -a | grep cpu and system_profiler SPHardwareDataType

I tried to remove the check, it installs with an error and when i tried to open it it didn't work. I could't find a workaround for VMware fusion (which is the one I prefer despite the lack of performance in contrast to parallels)

I am attaching both the sysgrep and the sysprofiler. Note my CPU is overclocked, therefore the 3.35 is a valid argument in the speed. Even under normal CPU clock I still get the same problem, therefore I don't think it is connected to the fact it is overclocked at all.

I've tried to bump it from macpro 2,1 to 5,1 and no results. Didn't think of doing anything with the BIOS. I will try that.

Thanks DigitalDJ!

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy