PDF GUIDES: Retail Snow Leopard Install for ASUS P5Q & P5Q-E

Ian T

308 posts in this topic

Not very well I'm afraid... ;) after installing successfully and booting with the MARS132 dvd again, it hangs with this message:

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

photo.jpg

Any ideas what could be causing it?

Thanks!

After installin Snow Leo, I got same IOAPIC problem, on almost each restart

I solved it first by booting using my old Ideneb 10.5.8 lite boot DVD.(I think any other bootable DVD with installer will do)

Then I limited the content of my /Extra/Extensions to (al with latest versions I could find):

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

JMicronATAInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext1

VoodooHDA.kext

and my /System/Librabry/Extensions to following kext (same with lastest versions )

SleepEnabler.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

LegacyATI4800Controller.kext

AppleHDA.kext

It seems to solve the problem

I think the problem might come from SleepEnabler.kext/OpenHaltRestart.kext, but I'm not 100% sure. At least, I was able to solve my problem this way... Hope it will help you solve yours. ^^;

----------------------

For your info guys, I finally manage ta have a Retail Snow Leopard on my system.(P5Q3/Q8400/HD4870 GS)!!

10.6.1 update from the menu, flawless!

The main problem I had was a blank screen in the boot process, with no display.

I solved this by setting "GraphicsEnabler" to "No" in /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist and installing evoEnabler.kext from my leo install to my snow kitty install.

After that, i updated to Netkas's 10.4 EFI boot, and cleaned up my kexts (both in /Extra and /S/L/E).

Now everything seems to work fine, except few details (dual dispay, QE/CI), but I am going to perform again all my install steps on another disk, to be sure of what I've done and used to come to this result.

Hope I will find the time to make a dedicated howto.

Anyway, I hope these informations will help others to achieve their installs/configs ^^

Many thanks Osx86 guys for your brilliant work! ;-)

Shuri.

After installin Snow Leo, I got same IOAPIC problem, on almost each restart

I solved it first by booting using my old Ideneb 10.5.8 lite boot DVD.(I think any other bootable DVD with installer will do)

Then I limited the content of my /Extra/Extensions to (al with latest versions I could find):

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

JMicronATAInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext1

VoodooHDA.kext

and my /System/Librabry/Extensions to following kext (same with lastest versions )

SleepEnabler.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

LegacyATI4800Controller.kext

AppleHDA.kext

It seems to solve the problem

I think the problem might come from SleepEnabler.kext/OpenHaltRestart.kext, but I'm not 100% sure. At least, I was able to solve my problem this way... Hope it will help you solve yours. ^^;

Cool I already have the iDeneb 10.5.8 DVD, unfortunately I have zero experience with terminal commands so I wouldnt know where to start :( for instance, how do I get the kexts to the Snow Leopard installation I have that isn't booting?

And once I get there, do I have to delete all kexts from '/Extra/Extensions' and '/System/Librabry/Extensions' and leave only the ones you listed, and what commands do I use for that?

Would it make it easier if I just plug the hard disk with the non working Snow Leo installation to another mac I have, and copy the kexts manually using finder instead of terminal commands?

Thanks for the help!

Sekhmet66,

Are you using all the relevant support files from SUPPORT on the boot-132-mars ISO image?

I'm afraid I have not run into the IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87 message before -- but I can tell you that Disabler.kext is not loading correctly, per your photo.

What you can do is remove Disabler.kext from /Extra/Extensions, if you used marsbooter.sh or marsbooter-p5q.sh.

From a working Leo or Snow Leo installation, or a by booting from the Installation DVD, do the following.

Note: if you decide to use Terminal from the Installation DVD, make sure that you don't enter in sudo -s, since you're already a superuser.

Open up Terminal and type the following:

sudo -s {enter password when prompted}

Create a directory to house disabled kexts:

mkdir /Extra/Disabled

Move Disabler.kext to /Extra/Disabled:

mv /Extra/Extensions/Disabler.kext /Extra/Disabled

The purpose of Disabler.kext is to disable the Nvidia DRM kext, AppleUpstreamUserClient... Most people don't need it, especially if you are using an ATI gfx card. I just left it in there, cause I knew it worked for my setup -- I think I even wrote in my guide, that it was based on my hardware configuration, and that components can be substituted, where needed, but that I did not include those kexts nor can I guarantee the outcome of the install.

Are you using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext? It disables AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext...

I have a feeling that the IOAPIC message is something related to a BIOS option........?

I am going to be relasing an update ISO image file and support files, and an ISO made for ATI users. I'm still trying to get my hands on an ATI Radeon HD48xx, so it may take a while to release the latter boot-132-mars ISO image file.

Lastly, can you please send me your complete system configuration specs? Can you please also send me a complete listing of your BIOS options as well...?

Thanks!

Peace,

IanT

Not very well I'm afraid... :ninja: after installing successfully and booting with the MARS132 dvd again, it hangs with this message:

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

photo.jpg

Any ideas what could be causing it?

Thanks!

UPDATED ON OCTOBER 16, 2009 @ 12:02AM PST

It's time for clarification of what this guide is and what it's actually geared for... :ninja:

Who is the intended audience for this guide?

This guide is intended for users who have an ASUS P5Q Intel Motherboard and a Core 2 Duo based processor, such as the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400.

What are the system specs of the guide built upon?

The system specs is as follows:

ASUS P5Q Intel P45 Chipset LGA775 Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz Wolfdale Processor

Patriot Viper Series (2x2GB) 4GB 1066MHz PC-8500 Memory

eVGA GeForce GTS 250 Superclocked 1GB Graphics Card - (based upon the EVGA 9800GTX+)

Seagate 7200.11 ST3500320AS Barracuda 500GB

Sony OptiArc DVD-RW AD-7240S

Netgear GA311 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Adapter

Netgear WG311T Super-G Wireless PCI Adapter (supported only under 32-bit, atheros based)

Recent changes to system specs:

Patriot Viper Series memory was replaced with Kingston HyperX (4x2GB) 8GB 1066MHz PC-8500 memory

Netgear WG311T Super-G Wireless PCI Adapter was replaced with an ASUS WL-138G V2 802.11b/g 54mbps Wireless PCI Adapter; which is supported in both 32-bit and 64-bit modes, and is based upon the broadcom 43xx chipset.

Can this guide be adapted to work with a system spec that differs from the above specs?

Yes, this guide can definitely be adapted to work with other system specs, so long as the motherboard remains as the ASUS P5Q Motherboard. As a reminder, you will need to find all relevant kexts that your substituted components need, in order for them to function correctly under SL.

I have an ATI Radeon HD48xx graphics card, can I use this in lieu of the eVGA GeForce GTS 250 SC 1GB as listed above?

Yes, you definitely can... However, you will need to make use of Netkas' PC EFI v10.4 and LegacyATI4800Controller.kext, which you need to edit to include your device-id in Info.plist. Some users have reported issues using the SUPPORT files with an ATI Radeon graphics card, hence why I'm trying to get my hands on one!

If I have a problem, can I request your help for determining the problem and implementing a solution and/or workaround?

You can definitely reply to this topic and request help from myself and from other members who have used this guide. If however, you find an issue with any of the components of the guide and its support files, please notify me immediately so that I can remedy the issue quickly.

If I left something out, please let me know your question, so that I may answer it.

Future Releases:

1. New PDF Guide for Dual-Booting SL + Win7
  2. New PDF Guide for Dual-Booting SL + Windows XP SP3
  3. New PDF Guide for ATI Radeon HD48xx Based Graphics
  4. New boot-132-mars for Nvidia Based Graphics, based upon Netkas' PC EFI v10.4
  5. New boot-132-mars for ATI Based Graphics, based upon Netkas' PC EFI v10.4
  6. New marsbooter script that adds an option for installing the Chameleon bootloader to the hidden EFI partition

Peace,

IanT

END UPDATED SECTION

Many Thanks for this excelent tutorial, Ian T!

flawless installation, now everything is working fine, exept sleep.

graphic enabler worked (MSI 8600 GTS 256 MB), but openCL-test was negative.

I solved the problem with efi-studio (gfx string for apple.com.boot.plist)

After changing my old Network card (Rtl 8139) to Netgear G311, i could run 64 bit kernel with Network.

I´m running eye-tv on my Floppy-dtv S2 TV-card (firewire), without any problem.

Adobe CS4 is also working flawless.

Problems:

all fuse related apps (TrueCrypt) are not woring (still)

Prarallels Desktop is´nt working yet.

Cinema 4D is crashing frequently.

Thanks again, your Tut is the clearest and most comprehensive i´v ever tried!

Thxs!

Thank you very much for the great guide. It was exceptional and very easy to follow.

However, the last step did not work for me and I still require to have the bootloader cd in order to boot up SL. At first, I had some problems so I copied the kexts from a previous bootloader cd and placed them in Extras and installed with Kext Helper. That DID work but then I copied over my profile using Time Machine which killed that method. I have tried changing bootloaders with no luck. I think (and am almost certain) the problem lies with ACPI_SMC_Platform but I have no idea on how to fix it.

My config is in my signature.

1002148r.th.jpg

1002147l.th.jpg

hocus86,

Do you have fakesmc.kext loaded?

Get fakesmc.kext v2 from netkas' web site.

Since you don't have a bootloader installed, copy it to /System/Library/Extensions, or you can alternatively recreate a boot-cd with fakesmc.kext in it.

It's just an idea -- not sure if it'll fix your problem.

Peace,

IanT

Thank you very much for the great guide. It was exceptional and very easy to follow.

However, the last step did not work for me and I still require to have the bootloader cd in order to boot up SL. At first, I had some problems so I copied the kexts from a previous bootloader cd and placed them in Extras and installed with Kext Helper. That DID work but then I copied over my profile using Time Machine which killed that method. I have tried changing bootloaders with no luck. I think (and am almost certain) the problem lies with ACPI_SMC_Platform but I have no idea on how to fix it.

My config is in my signature.

1002148r.th.jpg

1002147l.th.jpg

ISOLINUX 3.02 2009-06-09 ETCD isolinux: Image checksum error, sorry.

Boot failed: press a key to retry.

I found a workaround for this: just boot first with http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagerdl.html

It works fine since than, but now I have another problem. At the time Chameleon should appear I got a black screen. Is it because I use PATA DVD drive? Or is it some VESA-related problems?

I have an Asus P5Q with the modified Bios and suggested BIOS settings as set out in the PDF guide.

I have downloaded the BootCD and burnt the CD (using Windows Vista 64Bit and Nero 9)

Have a copy of the SL DVD and a HDD Copy (using a Mac)

PC Specs

Intel Core2Duo 3.00Ghz - E6850 and Intel Quad Core 2.83Ghz - Q9550

2x 1GB Transcend DDR II 800Mhz

Seagate 500GB SATA HDD - Connected on SATA Port 1

Lite-On DVD Writer SATA - Connected on SATA Port 3

Asus ATI X2900 PCI-E graphics

I have also attempted the Asus Nvidia 7600GT

When i insert the BootCD

Everything works Chameleon loads up.

I eject the BootCD and insert the SL DVD or when i have the HDD plugged in i just select the Mac OS X Install DVD.

After i select either the SL DVD or HDD SL Install it loads up and then about 2 seconds after that i get a Kernal Panic.

I have tried everything, i have replaced CPU's, Power Supplies, SATA Cables, HDD's, Graphics Cards and RAM but every time i get this Kernal Panic.

See picture attached any help would be fantastic.

post-232905-1256133133_thumb.jpg

I have an Asus P5Q with the modified Bios and suggested BIOS settings as set out in the PDF guide.

I have downloaded the BootCD and burnt the CD (using Windows Vista 64Bit and Nero 9)

Have a copy of the SL DVD and a HDD Copy (using a Mac)

PC Specs

Intel Core2Duo 3.00Ghz - E6850 and Intel Quad Core 2.83Ghz - Q9550

2x 1GB Transcend DDR II 800Mhz

Seagate 500GB SATA HDD - Connected on SATA Port 1

Lite-On DVD Writer SATA - Connected on SATA Port 3

Asus ATI X2900 PCI-E graphics

I have also attempted the Asus Nvidia 7600GT

When i insert the BootCD

Everything works Chameleon loads up.

I eject the BootCD and insert the SL DVD or when i have the HDD plugged in i just select the Mac OS X Install DVD.

After i select either the SL DVD or HDD SL Install it loads up and then about 2 seconds after that i get a Kernal Panic.

I have tried everything, i have replaced CPU's, Power Supplies, SATA Cables, HDD's, Graphics Cards and RAM but every time i get this Kernal Panic.

See picture attached any help would be fantastic.

post-232905-1256133133_thumb.jpg

Solved the Problem

What i did was get an older Version of the Asus P5Q Bios off the Asus Website version 1611

I then reloaded the Modified Bios Juzzi Bios

Works Perfectly busy installing SL as we speak.

I would like to Add that i then tested loading on the Latest BIOS from Asus again Version 2102 and then again reloading the Juzzi BIOS i ended up with the Same Kernal Panic.

Seems because the version are the same and that something does not update correctly.

Hope this helps someone else

Hello everyone. Alright, I am here to say I have had quite good success, except at the very end.

First of all, I have a P5Q3 mobo, not a P5Q.

1) Installed juzzi's P5Q3 latest BIOS update.

2) Burned Boot-132-Mars to a CD.

3) Cloned Snow Leopard retail to a flash disk (tried burning a DVD, said "cannot find mach_kernel. Flash works tho)

4) Installed Snow Leopard successfully.

5) Booted fine. No initial sound, but it worked after a reboot.

6) Did marsbooter post-install script, rebooted, it works.

7) Installed the 10.6.1 update.

Ok now here is where things went wrong. Everything was fine on 10.6, but when I updated to 10.6.1 (as Ian T suggested was fine), things started breaking. I cant load DMGs, the "About this Mac" wont open at all, apps are crashing. Its weird.

I think I'm going to reinstall, and not update, to see if that makes everything work fine again. I didn't play around much with it before updating to see what does and doesn't work. It could be that DMGs we're not working before either. But I do know for sure that "About this Mac" was working before the update.

Anyone have this same problem? Anyone have a fix? I can do without 10.6.1 for now, but I dont want to be stuck at 10.6 forever, ya kno?

(Sidenote- Ian T you are the man! Thanks for boot132mars, it was exactly what I needed to get started. The post-install scripts are beautiful and work great. And the documentation is so professional.)

jabentley,

Glad you got it to work!

I'm sorry to hear you're having a problem with the update to 10.6.1. Please note that the guide was specific to the ASUS P5Q. I cannot guarantee the outcome on anything other than the ASUS P5Q. Also, the message "cannot find mach_kernel", I did not use SL from flash or restored to a hdd, instead I used the Retail Install DVD. I remember stating that it was cheap enough to buy a copy... :P

About This Mac, info can be set using either the latest PC EFI v10.5 from Netkas or using Digital DJ's CPUInjector.kext (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189562). The former is preferred....

Thanks for the kudos!

Peace,

IanT

PS. I'm in the process of updating the post-install script, marsbooter-p5q.sh (also applicable to marsbooter.sh), it will have the option of installing Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 and Netkas' PC EFI v10.5 to the hidden EFI partition.

Hello everyone. Alright, I am here to say I have had quite good success, except at the very end.

First of all, I have a P5Q3 mobo, not a P5Q.

1) Installed juzzi's P5Q3 latest BIOS update.

2) Burned Boot-132-Mars to a CD.

3) Cloned Snow Leopard retail to a flash disk (tried burning a DVD, said "cannot find mach_kernel. Flash works tho)

4) Installed Snow Leopard successfully.

5) Booted fine. No initial sound, but it worked after a reboot.

6) Did marsbooter post-install script, rebooted, it works.

7) Installed the 10.6.1 update.

Ok now here is where things went wrong. Everything was fine on 10.6, but when I updated to 10.6.1 (as Ian T suggested was fine), things started breaking. I cant load DMGs, the "About this Mac" wont open at all, apps are crashing. Its weird.

I think I'm going to reinstall, and not update, to see if that makes everything work fine again. I didn't play around much with it before updating to see what does and doesn't work. It could be that DMGs we're not working before either. But I do know for sure that "About this Mac" was working before the update.

Anyone have this same problem? Anyone have a fix? I can do without 10.6.1 for now, but I dont want to be stuck at 10.6 forever, ya kno?

(Sidenote- Ian T you are the man! Thanks for boot132mars, it was exactly what I needed to get started. The post-install scripts are beautiful and work great. And the documentation is so professional.)

skullmonkey,

Step 1:

Boot off the boot-132-mars disc, aka 132Mars-IanT.

Step 2:

Once at the Chameleon boot menu, eject the boot-132-mars disc, and replace with the SL Retail DVD.

Step 3:

Press F5 to refresh the Chameleon boot menu

If you do not press F5, you won't see the Mac OS X Install DVD, and that's where you get the "Can't find mach_kernel" message.

Step 4:

Mac OS X Install DVD should already be selected, press Enter.

If however, it is not selected, use the left/right arrow keys to select it, and then press Enter.

Step 5:

Pretty straight forward... Install SL like you would normally.

Step 6: IMPORTANT

Read the PDF Guide, all of the steps listed above are in there.

;)

Peace,

IanT

How did u fixed the cannot find mach_kernel problem? I don't even come to the Leo installation. The boot132 gives me the error, hit enter for installation.

S@

And another thing.

1. I boot from lanT boot132 cd

2. hit ENTER when I see CD icon 132MARS-lanT-20091008 or I switch with SL retail cd and then hit enter??

Thanks for your reply IanT. ;) I reinstalled SL, here's what I found works for my P5Q3.

With 10.6

- Sound doesn't work.

- DMGs do work.

- About This Mac does work (used osx86tools to edit).

- Most everything works without additional kexts.

With 10.6.1

- Sound DOES work (strangely the update fixes this itself).

- DMGs do not open at all.

- About This Mac does not open at all.

- Certain apps wont open.

The change-log for 10.6.1 has nothing I care about, so I'll stay with 10.6. However, I want my onboard audio to work again. IanT do you think I can just copy some of my kexts from my fully-working Leopard 10.5.6 install into 10.6 and make audio work?

Also lastly, while I'm on 10.6, at random I think a kernel panic happens. Not too often, usually when I'm doing multiple things. It does that dark scan-line from the top all the way to the bottom, then says "You need to restart your computer. Hold the power button...blahblah". Is there a fix for this? Updated kernel?

Thanks for all your help. Once I get mine working fully I'm going to post a sister-thread to yours for P5Q3 people, as well as post on the osx86 wiki.

I'm having one more BIG problem with all this. I think I've narrowed it down to a reason.

When I was running Leopard, my BIOS was set to emulate SATA as IDE. Loading Leopard at boot was slow, but it never crashed. Now that Snow Leopard requires SATA be emulated as AHCI, Leopard boots so much faster! I never thought to try that feature.

They both boot very fast... but now they both will eventually crash within 20-30 minutes of use. Infact, 100% of the time I open Disk Utility on either OSX, it crashes, and will never close even with force quit. Then Finder will eventually do the same, and then I cant click anything. I'll have to manually restart.

It appears the crash occurs when going to access the disk for partitions. I unplugged all my other HDs, just the main one is plugged in, it still crashes.

I think it could be a problem with AHCI kext, maybe? I bet its using the set from P5Q, but I have a P5Q3 mobo. What do you think I should do IanT? I know you dont have a P5Q3, I'm just looking for some general advice. Thanks!

EDIT 1- Or maybe it has something to do with ACPI?

EDIT 2- I've fallen back to Leopard, I found an AHCIPortInjector kext in its Extras folder, probably from accidentally installing Marsbooter script to Leopard instead of SL. I deleted "Extras" from Leopard, installed Chameleon RC2 onto Leopard again so it will boot.

EDIT 3- Leopard is still crashing. It always seems to crash when I go to open a file with an app. For instance I was going to email an attachment to a friend, when the dialog box opened to find the file, the app crashes, then a domino effect of my computer crashing. This never happened before I tried installing Snow Leopard!

EDIT 4- This sounds funny but, I think having boot132-marsbooter CD in my CD drive was somehow making my computer freeze. When I switched from IDE to ACHI in my bios, every once in a while when booting, my CD drive wont be recognized. When it is working, and I'm on Leopard, when an Open File dialog appears, the CD should spin up, but it doesn't. This is when everything comes crashing down and I have to do a manual reboot. Now I took the CD out, it seems to work.

Maybe my internal DVD burner (SATA) doesn't like ACHI mode... lol

EDIT 5- My computer has been on for 3 hours straight without any of the crashing from before. I think it was that boot132 CD being in my drive. Strange.

However, Snow Leopard is still crashing. I think I need some kexts.

I successfully installed this on P5Q3. Updating went good and except the typo about running last script in the pdf everything is clear as the sun. After that I applied the new PC EFI and the change for the ATI (although didn't see any changes). I also applied kext for the sound card to work. Everything works fine except I cant find answer to this. Is it possible that I can use monitor and TV as I use in Win 7? My card have DVI, VGA (D-SUB) and HDMI outputs. I have Sapphire HD4870 - 1GB.

And big thanks to lanT for the good job.

Best regards, skull@

hi there

can someone please point me to the download of this guide?

seems hidden to me...

thanks a lot

can't wait to try

The guide is inside the 132MARS-20091008.iso file, see the link on the first post. I spent some time to figure it out too.

thanks for this wonderful guide.

i have a p5q-e, 8500cpu, 4gb ram, gtx260 and everything works (except sleep but it looks like thats a know issue here).

had to flash with a different bios (differen mainboard) install the rj45 kext from another thread for networking but thats all. writing from snow leopard now ;-)

thanks again :-)

keep up the good work

Great guide, after running the scripts everything works perfectly for me! Thanks!

Do you have any idea when you'll be releasing your Dual Boot (Snow Leopard + Windows 7) guide? I couldn't seem to get that working so I'm still using the boot disk when I want to boot OSX.