PDF GUIDES: Retail Snow Leopard Install for ASUS P5Q & P5Q-E

Ian T

308 posts in this topic

Hi Ian

Many thanks for your BOOT-132-Mars iso. The script makes it easy to install the bootloader to boot directly off the HDD. I decided to try the hackintosh out as a proof of concept for fun..Best AUD39 that I spent in the past 2 days :)

H/W :

E8400, P5QPro, 4GB Ram, ATI HD4850, Realtek 8139 Nic, Pioneer SATA DVDROM and WD10EADS.

Retail Vanilla Snow Leopard install with additional packages/kexts for the graphics card from the various threads in this forum.

R

Just an oddity, had the same problem as this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=63681

Installed last night fine, rebooted a load of times and all good. Started up the machine this morning and wouldnt get past the Apple screen, booted with -v and it's stuck on the IOAPIC line.

The suggested solutions through search didnt work, so I removed a stick of my RAM (down to 2g inst/of 4g) and it's booted straight in.

Not saying its your fault, just odd!

dodgyblue,

I'm happy that my guide and mars boot disc worked out for you!

Hope you're having fun on your MacPro!!

Peace,

IanT

Hi Ian

Many thanks for your BOOT-132-Mars iso. The script makes it easy to install the bootloader to boot directly off the HDD. I decided to try the hackintosh out as a proof of concept for fun..Best AUD39 that I spent in the past 2 days :)

H/W :

E8400, P5QPro, 4GB Ram, ATI HD4850, Realtek 8139 Nic, Pioneer SATA DVDROM and WD10EADS.

Retail Vanilla Snow Leopard install with additional packages/kexts for the graphics card from the various threads in this forum.

R

forster,

the stick of ram you removed could be bad... ya never know.

i'm running 4GB atm, but I am going up to 8GB, just been too lazy to install the memory!

:)

Peace,

IanT

PS. Yes, it is an oddity!

Just an oddity, had the same problem as this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=63681

Installed last night fine, rebooted a load of times and all good. Started up the machine this morning and wouldnt get past the Apple screen, booted with -v and it's stuck on the IOAPIC line.

The suggested solutions through search didnt work, so I removed a stick of my RAM (down to 2g inst/of 4g) and it's booted straight in.

Not saying its your fault, just odd!

Seems now to be happening everytime I cold boot (i.e. Ive had the system totally unplugged and powered off for several hours).

The RAM definately isnt bad, Ive been running windows on the system for probably 3/4 months, and Leopard on it stable for another month since installing SL.

Can only assume it's the bootloader?

Sleep issues...

I've tried most everything to try and solve the restart after sleep issue. But, I have been unable to figure it out... :)

AFAIK, it's a known issue that someone may fix in the future. But until then, don't use it! :P

I don't use sleep whatsoever, that's why my guide doesn't list anything about sleep.

Sorry folks!

Peace,

IanT

I found another issue with the updated ISO I had posted...

You can grab the UPDATED 132MARS-IanT ISO image file from here - 19.5MB:

132MARS-IanT-20091008.iso.zip

The issue was that I was using the wrong version of the the boot file; I was using the original Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 release, as opposed to Netkas' PC EFI v10.3.

Whoops! Sorry about that! If you used the ISO dated 10-06-2009, and it resulted in "Install Failed", this ISO will correct that occurrence!

Sorry!!!

I tested this latest marsbooter-p5q.sh another suggestion would be: if you choose manual, output "diskutil list".

Anyway I launched it, script ended correctely, but at reboot stopped at an APIC message. I entered in terminal from installation dvd, and removed com.apple.boot.plist and dsdt.aml in /Extra/ and now I can boot. Why are you using dsdt.aml? That's not needed with our modded bios from Juzzi.

Sleep not working even here. There are so many possible causes, let's see what happens with 10.6.2 coming.

I tested this latest marsbooter-p5q.sh another suggestion would be: if you choose manual, output "diskutil list".

Anyway I launched it, script ended correctely, but at reboot stopped at an APIC message. I entered in terminal from installation dvd, and removed com.apple.boot.plist and dsdt.aml in /Extra/ and now I can boot. Why are you using dsdt.aml? That's not needed with our modded bios from Juzzi.

Sleep not working even here. There are so many possible causes, let's see what happens with 10.6.2 coming.

Hopefully that solves my problem too, very sensible idea, fingers crossed - thanks!!

marionez,

Wow... Hrm... Where to start a response...

I'll have to sort out using disktuil list for the manual method, but ya know -- entering in your disk identifier isn't that difficult.

I am using a patched dsdt.aml, because I have found that while using it, in conjunction with the modded bios from Juzzi, that my system is 100% stable. That is why I included it... No where does it say to use it... Does it?

As far as it stopping at the APIC message, can you be a bit more specific? In other words, write out verbatim what the error message is or take a snapshot of it with a digital camera...

I don't know what you're doing, in terms of removing com.apple.Boot.plist & dsdt.aml from /Extra, since it defeats the purpose of using Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658. Removing dsdt.aml I can understand, but removing com.apple.Boot.plist too?

If you read the marsbooter guide, you would see that there were added options to kernel flags.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-pci0 -arch=i386 -x32</string>

The guide also says to replace com.apple.Boot.plist with one of your own, or to edit it accordingly. Especially since I am using Netkas' pci-e graphics adapter location override of -pci0.

I've also posted information about Sleep... It works, it will go into S3 mode, and you can wake it up.. But you can't restart it after sleep... It's a known issue, that so far, I haven't found a working solution for. Again, I don't use sleep for my system.

IanT

Files removed, booting fine, just hope that it works again fine after a cold boot tomorrow.

Im willing to give anything a go at this point!

-- additional --

Removing the boot.plist did remove the graphic support as the explanation above, so Ive modded it and put it back, and graphics are back to normal, dsdt.aml Ive removed and hope that it might have been that which stopped the system from booting.

Still, big credit to you Ian T, Im still over the moon to have SL installed and working smoothly, so thanks man :(

First of all... a bit of positive feedback:

-It worked!!!

I followed the instructions in the pdf (omitted a few of the bios-settings provided though, since I like having 4,1Ghz from my E8400) and had a working install of Snow Leopard in about 40 minutes. I did this by pulling my other "boot" drives during install (don't want any sh*t to go down with regards to my other OS's (Win XP and later also Win 7)

I do have a few follow-up things I'd like to solve though (if possible)

My IDE-drives. I turned on the Marvell IDE-controller after verifying the install went well, but MacOS doesn't recognise the prescence of any IDE-devices.

- Can this be fixed?

There seems to be an issue with booting it "cold". I read someone reporting KP's, but for me I get past the Apple-logo and the "spinning" thing under it, before the screen turns "blue-ish" and stays that way.

Also - I seem to have problems getting everything up and running when connecting my TV to the DVI-port. My screen setup is done with an Acer P221w connected to the regular vga-port on my graphics card and a LG-tv connected to the DVI-port (hdmi-converter). The computer starts booting like this (the boot starts on the TV since that is the primary port on this graphics card) but after a while it all goes black. - No desktop on either monitor or TV.

(I can not switch and put the Acer on the DVI, because the hole in the wall we have is not big enough for a vga-connector. The HDMI-cable barely fits...)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Ohh.. btw (for Ian T) - I found a tiny error in the pdf-guide included on the CD page 14:

Execute marsbooter.sh script to proceed with installation

sudo ./marsbooter.sh

Shouldn't that be:

sudo ./marsbooter-p5q.sh

(that's the name of the file in the MARSBOOTER-folder anyway)

At least that one stopped me for a minute or two since I tried to run a script that didn't exist...

Besides that - thank you for an excellent way of installing the Snow Leopard!

There seems to be an issue with booting it "cold". I read someone reporting KP's, but for me I get past the Apple-logo and the "spinning" thing under it, before the screen turns "blue-ish" and stays that way.

Load the marsbooter disk, then the OSX SL disk, go into terminal from the disk and remove the dsdt.aml from the /Extra/ folder on your hard drive, as marionez suggests and it should work.

If you boot with the -v flag, it should tell you where it's failing, although if the boot process fully completes then it errors, it may be something else.

gosa,

Thank you :D

I haven't seen a Marvell 88SE6111 kext, I don't have any IDE devices, all SATA here :)

It's the first I've heard in terms of an issue with cold-boot, in terms of that blue-ish screen (right before it fades into the SL default background image?)...

What's your system specs?

In terms of the issue you're having with the primary/secondary display outputs and black/blanks screen, I won't be able to assist unless I have an idea of your system specs... Again, the graphics card I'm using is all DVI, no legacy stuff here -- not even PS2 keyboard/mouse...! :D

Thanks for finding that typo -- It's hard rewriting and updating everything when I've been up a really long time... Gotta love sleep deprivation!! :D

I'll fix the typos as soon as I finalize a solution for 132MARS-IanT not functioning/working on some ATOM based Intel motherboards.

Peace,

IanT

First of all... a bit of positive feedback:

-It worked!!!

I followed the instructions in the pdf (omitted a few of the bios-settings provided though, since I like having 4,1Ghz from my E8400) and had a working install of Snow Leopard in about 40 minutes. I did this by pulling my other "boot" drives during install (don't want any sh*t to go down with regards to my other OS's (Win XP and later also Win 7)

I do have a few follow-up things I'd like to solve though (if possible)

My IDE-drives. I turned on the Marvell IDE-controller after verifying the install went well, but MacOS doesn't recognise the prescence of any IDE-devices.

- Can this be fixed?

Also - I seem to have problems getting everything up and running when connecting my TV to the DVI-port. My screen setup is done with an Acer P221w connected to the regular vga-port on my graphics card and a LG-tv connected to the DVI-port (hdmi-converter). The computer starts booting like this (the boot starts on the TV since that is the primary port on this graphics card) but after a while it all goes black. - No desktop on either monitor or TV.

(I can not switch and put the Acer on the DVI, because the hole in the wall we have is not big enough for a vga-connector. The HDMI-cable barely fits...)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Ohh.. btw (for Ian T) - I found a tiny error in the pdf-guide included on the CD page 14:

Execute marsbooter.sh script to proceed with installation

sudo ./marsbooter.sh

Shouldn't that be:

sudo ./marsbooter-p5q.sh

(that's the name of the file in the MARSBOOTER-folder anyway)

At least that one stopped me for a minute or two since I tried to run a script that didn't exist...

Besides that - thank you for an excellent way of installing the Snow Leopard!

gosa,

You should be using Disabler.kext; it disables AppleUpstreamUserClient, especially for 88xx based NV gfx.

Are you using NVinject, EFI Strings, or GraphicsEnabler (Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658/Netkas PC EFI v10.3)?

I can't really help you out with the hole in the wall -- I'm not good a remote carpentry... :lol:

Try this as a first step --

Also, as forster suggested, remove my dsdt.aml - the guide says to replace it with your own or to remove it altogether...

Peace,

IanT

It's all in my signature..

:(

Hi Ian

I've burned the iso to a DVD-RW, but the PC fails to boot, reboots itself and gets stuck in a boot loop. It doesn't get to the installation, and I can't read the error message because it flashes so quickly, but it says something like 'Failed to boot' and something more.

Edit: I had to capture a small video to read the error, it says:

ISOLINUX 3.02 2009-06-09 ETCD isolinux: Image checksum error, sorry.

Boot failed: press a key to retry.

My mobo is a P5Q-C and I'm using an IDE DVD drive connected to the Marvell IDE controller (BIOS already flashed with the proper BIOS from Juzzi, and configured with all the settings from your guide, except for the Marvell controller which I can't disable).

What could be the cause of this error?

Also, I wanted to thank you because the work you've done in the PDF documents is absolutely brilliant, one of the best guides around!

Cheers! :hysterical:

Sekhmet66,

The image checksum error is a known issue.

I'm still trying to resolve this problem -- The only way that I can figure out to solve this problem is to adhere to an image file size of 2,949,120 bytes or 2.88MB, with a single FAT file system that has been marked active (not sure if the latter is needed or if it's even possible).

Excerpt from ISOLINUX.TXT (Mr. H. Peter Anvin, hope you don't mind my stating the warning message)

Copyright 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin - All Rights Reserved

WARNING: This feature depends on BIOS functionality which is

apparently broken in a very large number of BIOSes. Therefore, this

may not work on any particular system. No workaround is possible; if

you find that it doesn't work please complain to your vendor and

indicate that "BIOS INT 13h AX=4C00h fails."

So, perhaps this is the problem (BIOS INT 13h AX=4C00h) that a lot of other people are having with their motherboards, like DoctorEvil...

I'm still going to try out the idea of adhering to a specific floppy image file size, and see what happens -- I will also release a debug version, that makes use of ISOLINUX-DEBUG.BIN, since it allows for better error handling.

Thank you so much for your appreciation of my PDF guide! It really helps, in terms of releasing future guides... I'm also in the midst of releasing a dual-boot guide (single drive) for SL and Win7... So stay tuned for that...!

Also, sorry for the delayed response, I've been so busy this weekend!

Peace,

IanT

Hi Ian

I've burned the iso to a DVD-RW, but the PC fails to boot, reboots itself and gets stuck in a boot loop. It doesn't get to the installation, and I can't read the error message because it flashes so quickly, but it says something like 'Failed to boot' and something more.

Edit: I had to capture a small video to read the error, it says:

ISOLINUX 3.02 2009-06-09 ETCD isolinux: Image checksum error, sorry.

Boot failed: press a key to retry.

My mobo is a P5Q-C and I'm using an IDE DVD drive connected to the Marvell IDE controller (BIOS already flashed with the proper BIOS from Juzzi, and configured with all the settings from your guide, except for the Marvell controller which I can't disable).

What could be the cause of this error?

Also, I wanted to thank you because the work you've done in the PDF documents is absolutely brilliant, one of the best guides around!

Cheers! :D

I successfully installed Leopard last year on my P5Q, but this Snow Leopard is driving me nuts.

I manage to install SL and make it work following the guide, but after a few restarts or after booting Windows XP, which is also installed in the same drive, my SL won't boot anymore. I got stuck at IOAPIC line.

The only way to fix it, or at least the only I've found, is to write the boot1h partition booter again where my Mac OS X partition is (dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2)

As I said, I experienced this problem the first time I boot Windows, after installing SL, XP, and properly setting up Chameleon, everything was working smoothly, I just checked that Chameleon was offering me to boot SL and XP and that SL was booting and working, I then booted XP and after I restarted to check SL again it wouldn't work again. It was getting stuck at IOAPIC.

I did some research and I thought that maybe XP was screwing the partition loader, which would be kind of weird because my old HDD has Leopard + XP installed using a MBR partition scheme and worked like a charm for a year.

I reinstalled everything using a GUID partition scheme and again with a MBR scheme, both with no luck. I later found out that XP cannot be the problem, because while in SL if I power off the PC (like I had a system failure or a blackout) problem comes again.. damn IOAPIC message!

I googled a lot and all "possible" fixes didn't work for me.

I hope someone can give me some advice or help in the right direction.

Thx!

PS Here's a snapshot of my error:

img0151n.jpg

Have you tried the fixes mentioned before in the thread?

Have you installed a modified bios, and used the script to copy the bootloader to your hard drive, yet havent deleted or modified the DSDT.aml file?

Yup I tried almost everything, restored my old modded 1611 bios version, reflashed with the 2102, .. tried different combinations of kexts, .. I even tried the EFI hidden partition method to boot SL and protect the Extra folder and bootstrap from being written by winsucks.

But all of them failed sooner or later after stressing the system a bit the boot process got stuck at some point.

After been awake all night and trying different scenarios it turns out it has to do with the stage2 booter file, the regular boot file which is meant to be copied to the root folder where SL is installed.

The boot file made my system unstable, and so it did the latest versions extracted from Chameleon site and Netkas (EFI 10.4), well...

I don't know if I corrupted yours during the process but I end up downloading another version of this file from (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185701), and my system became stable without having to reinstall it. I just had to adjust some kext's and reinstall Windows XP, currently using a GUID partition scheme by the way.

I thought the boot file was a "generic" file, but after all I've been through I realize that maybe it's customized for every board. I haven't gone that far yet, but I'll download the Chameleon source and give it a try. I came to this conclusion because I tried 4 different boot files that were supposed to run on my P5Q (or at least I thought so) and only one of it was stable, with the other ones I could totally boot but not for a long time.

Glad to have my Hackintosh back! It was driving me nuts, installing Leopard was long way easier for me :wacko:

Hope this can help someone in future.

Hi Guys

I've successfully installed Leopard 10.5.8 on my P5Q3 (non deluxe) from an ideneb 10.5.8 (almost OK except sleep and dual display not working).

but I'm failing for weeks to upgrade to SL. I'm using Juzzi's 707 modded bios (Leo doesn't work without this) and tryed several boot CDs without success of launching my retail SL DVD. OSInstall.mpkg alternative install from leo doesn't bring much more tough I went trough this install process.

Typically with your last boot CD, I'm stuck on a black screen (my monitor shuts down) about 1 minute after inserting the SL retail DVD (even in failsafe or trying graphic mode 640x480x32 still fail same way)

I'm suspecting a videocard problem (mine is Gainward HD4870 1Go Golden Sample - exotic design with DVI, DP, VGA & HDMI)

I've tryed with or without GraphicEnabler activated, same result

If someone has succeeded in installing SL on P5Q3 and with HD4870 non standard, or an hint to help me troubleshoot this, please let me know

BR, and thanks for your good work

K.

Hi Guys

I've successfully installed Leopard 10.5.8 on my P5Q3 (non deluxe) from an ideneb 10.5.8 (almost OK except sleep and dual display not working).

but I'm failing for weeks to upgrade to SL. I'm using Juzzi's 707 modded bios (Leo doesn't work without this) and tryed several boot CDs without success of launching my retail SL DVD. OSInstall.mpkg alternative install from leo doesn't bring much more tough I went trough this install process.

Typically with your last boot CD, I'm stuck on a black screen (my monitor shuts down) about 1 minute after inserting the SL retail DVD (even in failsafe or trying graphic mode 640x480x32 still fail same way)

I'm suspecting a videocard problem (mine is Gainward HD4870 1Go Golden Sample - exotic design with DVI, DP, VGA & HDMI)

If someone has succeeded in installing SL on P5Q3 and with HD4870 non standard, or an hint to help me troubleshoot this, please let me know

K.

Have you tried to boot with "-x" option? I got it to load by doing this as I use a HD4850 card also.

Sekhmet66,

The image checksum error is a known issue.

I'm still trying to resolve this problem -- The only way that I can figure out to solve this problem is to adhere to an image file size of 2,949,120 bytes or 2.88MB, with a single FAT file system that has been marked active (not sure if the latter is needed or if it's even possible).

Excerpt from ISOLINUX.TXT (Mr. H. Peter Anvin, hope you don't mind my stating the warning message)

Copyright 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin - All Rights Reserved

WARNING: This feature depends on BIOS functionality which is

apparently broken in a very large number of BIOSes. Therefore, this

may not work on any particular system. No workaround is possible; if

you find that it doesn't work please complain to your vendor and

indicate that "BIOS INT 13h AX=4C00h fails."

So, perhaps this is the problem (BIOS INT 13h AX=4C00h) that a lot of other people are having with their motherboards, like DoctorEvil...

I'm still going to try out the idea of adhering to a specific floppy image file size, and see what happens -- I will also release a debug version, that makes use of ISOLINUX-DEBUG.BIN, since it allows for better error handling.

Thank you so much for your appreciation of my PDF guide! It really helps, in terms of releasing future guides... I'm also in the midst of releasing a dual-boot guide (single drive) for SL and Win7... So stay tuned for that...!

Also, sorry for the delayed response, I've been so busy this weekend!

Peace,

IanT

Hey, thanks for replying!

I finally resolved the issue by getting a SATA DVD drive and burning the image with ImgBurn at 4x on a blank DVD -R, everything under Windows XP.

I was using an old RW disc, an even older IDE drive and using DiskUtility, so I guess that wasn't a good combination :)

Anyway, I'm typing this while SL is being installed, so I'll report back once it's finished (crosses fingers!!)

Thanks!

_r_,

Can you please provide me with the specs of your system? Can you also provide your BIOS settings (specifically your power settings, e.g., ACPI 2.0 Support, ACPI APIC Support, etc.)?

Also, when you refer to the 'boot' file, are you referring to the boot file that is copied into the root of the SL installation (wherever Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 is installed), or are you referring to boot0/boot1h; where boot0 gets copied to the MBR and boot1h gets copied to the partition's bootsector...?

The boot file, aka Netkas' PC EFI v10.3/v10.4, is not hardware specific; whereas dsdt.aml is, hence why forster asked if you removed dsdt.aml from my marsbooter script and/or to comment it out with a hash sign inside of marsbooter-p5q.sh. You also have to remember that Netkas' PC EFI has items that require overrides placed into com.apple.Boot.plist, in particular where your graphics card is located. Netkas' PC EFI v10.4 has support for ATI Radeon's now.

I just ran a complete install using my guide, of which the guide is based on. The only difference is that I manually installed Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 to the EFI partition.

I released this guide, knowing that it works on two ASUS P5Q motherboards; and not a variant of the ASUS P5Q. I wouldn't have released this guide, and its supporting files, if it did not work.

I am also in the midst of releasing a SL+Win7 dual-boot guide based on the ASUS P5Q, as well as SL + Windows XP SP3.

Marsbooter will also be updated to provide an option to install Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 to the EFI partition.

Peace,

IanT

Yup I tried almost everything, restored my old modded 1611 bios version, reflashed with the 2102, .. tried different combinations of kexts, .. I even tried the EFI hidden partition method to boot SL and protect the Extra folder and bootstrap from being written by winsucks.

But all of them failed sooner or later after stressing the system a bit the boot process got stuck at some point.

After been awake all night and trying different scenarios it turns out it has to do with the stage2 booter file, the regular boot file which is meant to be copied to the root folder where SL is installed.

The boot file made my system unstable, and so it did the latest versions extracted from Chameleon site and Netkas (EFI 10.4), well...

I don't know if I corrupted yours during the process but I end up downloading another version of this file from (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185701), and my system became stable without having to reinstall it. I just had to adjust some kext's and reinstall Windows XP, currently using a GUID partition scheme by the way.

I thought the boot file was a "generic" file, but after all I've been through I realize that maybe it's customized for every board. I haven't gone that far yet, but I'll download the Chameleon source and give it a try. I came to this conclusion because I tried 4 different boot files that were supposed to run on my P5Q (or at least I thought so) and only one of it was stable, with the other ones I could totally boot but not for a long time.

Glad to have my Hackintosh back! It was driving me nuts, installing Leopard was long way easier for me :)

Hope this can help someone in future.

shuriken06,

Hey, sorry to hear you're having a problem with your ATI Radeon HD4870.

First, I have not upgraded a Leo system to SL....

Second, I'll be releasing and updated boot-132-mars disc for users who have ATI cards, with Netkas' PC EFI v10.4 boot file that was just released two days ago.

It has support for ATI Radeon's, but it works in conjunction with the legacyati4800controller.kext (you need to add your device-id to it).

com.apple.Boot.plist in /INITRD.IMG/Extra also has an override for the graphics adapter slot, which is -pci0 under 'Kernel Flags'.

All of the info can be found at netkas.org.

So, please give me some time, and I'll upload the ATI version of the boot-132-mars ISO image file, and you can be the first to try it out.

Peace,

IanT

Hi Guys

K.

Sekhmet66,

Hey no problem, glad I was able to respond to you... :)

So, how did it go?

Peace,

IanT

Hey, thanks for replying!

I finally resolved the issue by getting a SATA DVD drive and burning the image with ImgBurn at 4x on a blank DVD -R, everything under Windows XP.

I was using an old RW disc, an even older IDE drive and using DiskUtility, so I guess that wasn't a good combination :)

Anyway, I'm typing this while SL is being installed, so I'll report back once it's finished (crosses fingers!!)

Thanks!

Sekhmet66,

Hey no problem, glad I was able to respond to you... :)

So, how did it go?

Peace,

IanT

Not very well I'm afraid... :) after installing successfully and booting with the MARS132 dvd again, it hangs with this message:

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

photo.jpg

Any ideas what could be causing it?

Thanks!