[GUIDE] PERFECT 100% VANILLA RETAIL Snow Leopard 10.6.1 Install for GIGABYTE EX58-UD4P + EX58-UD5!

newd00d

38 posts in this topic

INSTALLING FOR EX58-UD4P AND EX58-UD5 RETAIL SNOW LEOPARD

THIS GUIDE IS BASED ON AND USES Digital_Dreamer's EX58 SCRIPT FOR RETAIL SNOW LEOPARD. THIS GUIDE SHOULD WORK WITH BOTH THE UD4P AND THE UD5 MOTHERBOARDS, AND POSSIBLY OTHER BOARDS WHICH I HAVE YET TO TEST.

ALL CREDIT GOES TO Digital_Dreamer AND THE OTHER CONTRIBUTERS AT INSANELYMAC AND ELSEWHERE WHO HAVE HELPED TO MAKE THIS PROCESS POSSIBLE AND AVAILABLE.

ALL TOOLS AND PROGRAMS INCLUDED ARE PUBLIC AND FREE TO USE, YET THEY STILL ADHERE TO THE RIGHTS OF THEIR DEVELOPERS. WE ADVISE IF YOU ARE GOING TO INSTALL SNOW LEOPARD THAT YOU BUY A RETAIL PACKAGE OF APPLE'S OPERATING SYSTEM AND ANY APPLICATION YOU INTEND TO USE!

THIS INSTALLER IS DESIGNED TO WORK WHEN INSTALLING TO A SEPARATE PARTITION OR HARD DRIVE ON A MACHINE WHICH IS ALREADY RUNNING MAC OS X LEOPARD 10.5 OR SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.

Boot-132 RETAIL DVD Method Coming Soon!!!

THIS GUIDE WAS BUILT FOR AND TESTED WITH THE FOLLOWING HARDWARE,

AND IS CONFIRMED TO BE 100% VANILLA AND 100% FUNCTIONAL:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P Motherboard w/ F10D Beta BIOS

OverClocked 3.33GHz i7 920 Processor

nVidia 9800GT 512MB Video Card

6GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory

500GB Seagate SATA Hard Drive

Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 Install DVD

ON THE UD4P, IF YOU PLAN TO OVERCLOCK YOU ARE BEST OFF WITH THE F10D BETA BIOS. ALSO MAKE SURE THAT AHCI IS ENABLED UNDER THE INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS OPTION IN YOUR COMPUTER'S BIOS.

1. Navigate using the Top Bar or through the Applications Folder to "Go > Utilites > Disk Utility" and run the application. Select your Target Hard Disk (the drive wish to restore to) which will be located in the left window on the left-hand side of the application. Click the Target Hard Disk to highlight it, then press the Partition tab. Select Options and format the Target Hard Disk as GUID and select any name you would like.

2. Insert or Mount your Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail DVD or image. Once the DVD or image is mounted, you can close the window that pops up, but be sure to leave the DVD or image mounted for the Installer script.

3. Download the EX58-UD4P Installer pack from Here. Unzip the file and open EX58-UD4P Installer folder. Before running the INSTALL file, make sure you add your Video Card String to com.apple.boot.plist (you can replace the current string in the boot.plist if you are not using 9800GT 512MB) located in the Plists folder in your installer. If you need the ATY_Init graphics injector, you can add it to your boot cache in the /Extra/Stored_Kexts folder after you boot back into snow leopard by re-running step 6 of the installer. Run the INSTALL file and enter your password when prompted. Select the number which corresponds to your Target Hard Drive drive and press enter, OR press Y (Yes) if the Target Hard Drive drive was already pre-selected for you.

4. Once inside the Installer script, press option #2 (installer bootloader) and press enter. Then select option #3 (PC_EFI for Snow) and press enter. Once you return to the main menu of the Installer script, select option #3 (set partition as active) and press enter, then next select Y (Yes) to set your drive as active. Next select option #4 (run retail DVD installer) and press enter. Run the installer and before installing to your hard drive click the "customize" button and uncheck everything that is not "essential system software." You can install the other packages later.

5. Once the install completes, return to the main menu of your Installer and select option #5 (Kext installer). Now you need change the paths of some kexts. Key in the numbers:

#1 and press enter, (AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from /System to /Extra)

#3 and press enter, (JMicronATA.kext from /System to /Extra)

#5 and press enter, (IONetworkingFamily.kext from /Extra to /System)

#7 and press enter, (fakesmc.kext from /System to /Extra)

#9 and press enter, (OpenHaltRestart.kext from /System to /Extra)

#10 and press enter, (PlatformUUID.kext from /System to /Extra)

#11 and press enter, (Sleepenabler.kext from /System to /Extra)

- Summary: You should leave only IONetworkingFamily.kext, RealtekR1000.kext, and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext inside /System, and everything else should go into /Extra.

WHEN COMPLETED PRESS Y (Yes) TO INSTALL THE KEXT AND UPDATE YOUR BOOT CACHE.

6. Once you return to the install menu, selection option #19 and press enter to close the installer. DO NOT RESTART YOUR COMPUTER YET. Navigate to your EX58-UD4P folder and open the DSDT folder. Right-click and copy the DSDT.aml file. Now go to your freshly installed drive and paste your DSDT.aml file to the /Extra folder. You are now ready to reboot!

7. Make sure to remove any extra internal/external hard drives (other than your freshly installed drive) until after you successfully boot into the operating system for the first time.

- IF YOU INSTALLED FROM A PC OR MAC RUNNING SNOW LEOPARD (10.6), YOU ARE DONE!

(Please reboot and post here with your successes!)

- IF YOU INSTALLED FROM A PC OR MAC RUNNING LEOPARD (10.5) YOU HAVE ONE MORE STEP:

*Additional Step for those installing from Leopard: Before you boot your Snow Leopard install for the first time, continually press F8 after you see the "Verifying DMI Pool Data" screen in your BIOS, and enter your PC_EFI bootloader GUI. Use your down arrow key to select "boot single-user mode". Wait for the prompt to arrive and type the following:

/sbin/mount -uw / (press enter)

buildcache (press enter)

once completed, type reboot (or manually reset if command does not work.) *

THAT'S IT! YOU ARE READY TO BOOT FOR THE FIRST TIME. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO RUN SOFTWARE UPDATE WITHOUT A HITCH TO GET YOUR SYSTEM UP TO DATE!

I have a problem because i don't know where i can find the DSDT.aml file for the EX58-UD5 . Can i use the one for the EX58-UD4P ?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you should be able to use this DSDT files for the UD5, as we are using the same exact kexts for the UD5 and the UD4P. Try using the UD4P DSDT.aml file that is included within your DSDT folder in your EX58-UD4P pack. Copy this file to /Extra after the install process is completed. Report your success or failure.

I have this exact setup. Same mobo, memory and even the same graphics card. I have been running on Leopard 10.5.6 but I would love to get the updates from apple. So from reading your awesome instructions I will just have a new partion with SL 10.6 and still have Leopard 10.5 on my original partion? If things do not go as planned can I just go back to 10.5? If so I will go buy SL today and report on how well the install goes.

Thanks for posting this tuturial and access to the install/kext tools.

I have this exact setup. Same mobo, memory and even the same graphics card. I have been running on Leopard 10.5.6 but I would love to get the updates from apple. So from reading your awesome instructions I will just have a new partion with SL 10.6 and still have Leopard 10.5 on my original partion? If things do not go as planned can I just go back to 10.5? If so I will go buy SL today and report on how well the install goes.

Thanks for posting this tuturial and access to the install/kext tools.

Yes, you can leave 10.5 on your original partition, however, it is advised that you install snow leopard onto a separate hard drive. This is not absolutely necessary, but it will make your job easier if you run into any quirks while installing or do not have anywhere to back up your current 10.5 install.

Let me know how it goes, and Good Luck!

I followed your guide and everything worked perfectly execpt during my first login I get stuck at the Already Own a Mac screen Once I select Transfer settings later and click the continue button all I get is the spinning beach ball. Any clue why this is happening? Just one question I have a Nvidia card and it's a 9800gt with 1024mb ram I used your boot.plist file and didn't modify for my video card could that be the problem?

I followed your guide and everything worked perfectly execpt during my first login I get stuck at the Already Own a Mac screen Once I select Transfer settings later and click the continue button all I get is the spinning beach ball. Any clue why this is happening? Just one question I have a Nvidia card and it's a 9800gt with 1024mb ram I used your boot.plist file and didn't modify for my video card could that be the problem?

Hey dcbimmer, are you using onboard ethernet with the UD4P or the UD5? ...I know that the intro can freeze if you insert a USB drive or disk while starting up for the first time. Were you able to get into the OS, or are you stuck at the screen?

If you are using the 9800GT 1024MB you have to add your EFI string to the com.apple.boot.plist located in the EX58-UD4P>Plists folder before you run the installer script. It may work with the default 9800GT 512MB EFI string which is already in there, but you will only see 512MB in System Profiler instead of the 1024MB on your actual card.

If none of this works, and you are stuck at the installer screen without getting into the OS, try deleting your DSDT.aml and booting without it. Be sure to save your BIOS settings, as after your first boot/reboot without DSDT.aml installed, your BIOS settings will reset.

Hope this helps!

I have just finish my fresh install and i'm posting from the mac with ethernet sound and everything.

But when i put my other hard drive it break the ethernet and sometimes the sounds ...

Any hint ?

Try installing the AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnalber.kext from Digital Dreamers Kexts_10.6 folder to your /System/Library/Extensions folder using the installer script. If this does not work, try deleting and updating your DSDT.aml file located in /Extra by using step #7 of the installer script.

Try installing the AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnalber.kext from Digital Dreamers Kexts_10.6 folder to your /System/Library/Extensions folder using the installer script. If this does not work, try deleting and updating your DSDT.aml file located in /Extra by using step #7 of the installer script.

I haven't touched nothing just following your tuts and you know what ? It's working like a charm, sound, audio ,ethernet and everything.

Many many thanks

I haven't touched nothing just following your tuts and you know what ? It's working like a charm, sound, audio ,ethernet and everything.

Many many thanks

No problem! Glad you got it working!

Please post your full specs if you have a minute.

THIS GUIDE IS BASED ON AND USES Digital_Dreamer's EX58 SCRIPT FOR RETAIL SNOW LEOPARD. THIS GUIDE SHOULD WORK WITH BOTH THE UD4P AND THE UD5 MOTHERBOARDS, AND POSSIBLY OTHER BOARDS WHICH I HAVE YET TO TEST.

ALL CREDIT GOES TO Digital_Dreamer AND THE OTHER CONTRIBUTERS AT INSANELYMAC AND ELSEWHERE WHO HAVE HELPED TO MAKE THIS PROCESS POSSIBLE AND AVAILABLE.

ALL TOOLS AND PROGRAMS INCLUDED ARE PUBLIC AND FREE TO USE, YET THEY STILL ADHERE TO THE RIGHTS OF THEIR DEVELOPERS. WE ADVISE IF YOU ARE GOING TO INSTALL SNOW LEOPARD THAT YOU BUY A RETAIL PACKAGE OF APPLE'S OPERATING SYSTEM AND ANY APPLICATION YOU INTEND TO USE!

THIS INSTALLER IS DESIGNED TO WORK WHEN INSTALLING TO A SEPARATE PARTITION OR HARD DRIVE ON A MACHINE WHICH IS ALREADY RUNNING MAC OS X LEOPARD 10.5 OR SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.

6GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory

ON THE UD4P, IF YOU PLAN TO OVERCLOCK YOU ARE BEST OFF WITH THE F10D BETA BIOS. ALSO MAKE SURE THAT AHCI IS ENABLED UNDER THE INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS OPTION IN YOUR COMPUTER'S BIOS.

1. Navigate using the Top Bar or through the Applications Folder to "Go > Utilites > Disk Utility" and run the application. Select your Target Hard Disk (the drive wish to restore to) which will be located in the left window on the left-hand side of the application. Click the Target Hard Disk to highlight it, then press the Partition tab. Select Options and format the Target Hard Disk as GUID and select any name you would like.

2. Insert or Mount your Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail DVD or image. Once the DVD or image is mounted, you can close the window that pops up, but be sure to leave the DVD or image mounted for the Installer script.

3. Download the EX58-UD4P Installer pack from Here. Unzip the file and open EX58-UD4P Installer folder. Before running the INSTALL file, make sure you add your Video Card String to com.apple.boot.plist (you can replace the current string in the boot.plist if you are not using 9800GT 512MB) located in the Plists folder in your installer. If you need the ATY_Init graphics injector, you can add it to your boot cache in the /Extra/Stored_Kexts folder after you boot back into snow leopard by re-running step 6 of the installer. Run the INSTALL file and enter your password when prompted. Select the number which corresponds to your Target Hard Drive drive and press enter, OR press Y (Yes) if the Target Hard Drive drive was already pre-selected for you.

4. Once inside the Installer script, press option #2 (installer bootloader) and press enter. Then select option #3 (PC_EFI for Snow) and press enter. Once you return to the main menu of the Installer script, select option #3 (set partition as active) and press enter, then next select Y (Yes) to set your drive as active. Next select option #4 (run retail DVD installer) and press enter. Run the installer and before installing to your hard drive click the "customize" button and uncheck everything that is not "essential system software." You can install the other packages later.

5. Once the install completes, return to the main menu of your Installer and select option #5 (Kext installer). Now you need change the paths of some kexts. Key in the numbers:

- Summary: You should leave only IONetworkingFamily.kext, RealtekR1000.kext, and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext inside /System, and everything else should go into /Extra.

6. Once you return to the install menu, selection option #19 and press enter to close the installer. DO NOT RESTART YOUR COMPUTER YET. Navigate to your EX58-UD4P folder and open the DSDT folder. Right-click and copy the DSDT.aml file. Now go to your freshly installed drive and paste your DSDT.aml file to the /Extra folder. You are now ready to reboot!

7. Make sure to remove any extra internal/external hard drives (other than your freshly installed drive) until after you successfully boot into the operating system for the first time.

- IF YOU INSTALLED FROM A PC OR MAC RUNNING LEOPARD (10.5) YOU HAVE ONE MORE STEP:

*Additional Step for those installing from Leopard: Before you boot your Snow Leopard install for the first time, continually press F8 after you see the "Verifying DMI Pool Data" screen in your BIOS, and enter your PC_EFI bootloader GUI. Use your down arrow key to select "boot single-user mode". Wait for the prompt to arrive and type the following:

buildcache (press enter)

THAT'S IT! YOU ARE READY TO BOOT FOR THE FIRST TIME. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO RUN SOFTWARE UPDATE WITHOUT A HITCH TO GET YOUR SYSTEM UP TO DATE!

thanks for posting this

i tried this on my UD4P last night

used another snow install to do all the steps.

hooked the hard drive up to the UD4p machine and let it boot.

i would get the spinning wheel then it would freeze

tried with -v -x32 flags and it stopped as it was trying to load the realtek kext from pystar.

two days ago i noticed while running win7 on the board that my Ethernet controller had died and i couldn't access the internet, doesn't even show up in device manager. did flash bios to 10d reset CMOS etc to no avail.

what i'd like to know is, is that what's causing the problem or could it be that you have stings for an nvidia card in the apple plist, i'm running ati 4870 512mb. i was thinking of addind ATY.init. into the extra folder first then running the kext installer.

also when i was setting up the drive on a PC running snow and running the kext installer (step 5 in your guide) all the kexts were put in the EXTRA folder, i just changed the three you mentioned to go to system, is this right?

I've dropped the board of today at gigabyte to get them to look at it, they reckon it will be a week or two before they either fix/replace or tell me there's nothing wrong with it. Will try it again once i get the board back.

But i;d like to know what might have caused my problem and i'm hopping the dead Ethernet controller caused the hang up.

thanks again

thanks for posting this

i tried this on my UD4P last night

used another snow install to do all the steps.

hooked the hard drive up to the UD4p machine and let it boot.

i would get the spinning wheel then it would freeze

tried with -v -x32 flags and it stopped as it was trying to load the realtek kext from pystar.

two days ago i noticed while running win7 on the board that my Ethernet controller had died and i couldn't access the internet, doesn't even show up in device manager. did flash bios to 10d reset CMOS etc to no avail.

what i'd like to know is, is that what's causing the problem or could it be that you have stings for an nvidia card in the apple plist, i'm running ati 4870 512mb. i was thinking of addind ATY.init. into the extra folder first then running the kext installer.

also when i was setting up the drive on a PC running snow and running the kext installer (step 5 in your guide) all the kexts were put in the EXTRA folder, i just changed the three you mentioned to go to system, is this right?

I've dropped the board of today at gigabyte to get them to look at it, they reckon it will be a week or two before they either fix/replace or tell me there's nothing wrong with it. Will try it again once i get the board back.

But i;d like to know what might have caused my problem and i'm hopping the dead Ethernet controller caused the hang up.

thanks again

Definitely sounds like it was an issue with the ethernet port, especially since you mentioned it was stalling on the networking kext. If it doesn't work correctly in windows, I would guess there is a problem with the board. Let me know if you hear from gigabyte, and whether or not you get it working!

Yes, you can leave 10.5 on your original partition, however, it is advised that you install snow leopard onto a separate hard drive. This is not absolutely necessary, but it will make your job easier if you run into any quirks while installing or do not have anywhere to back up your current 10.5 install.

Let me know how it goes, and Good Luck!

Installed and it works on a second partion on the same drive. To anyone that will be dual booting with Leopard 10.5 and snow leopard 10.6 in the install script create a EFI partion instead of a extra (extended) slice. The only thing that does not work is sound. Like I mentioned before I have the exact setup/hardware so I am not sure why its not getting any sound.

I will look into it further tomorrow with kext but if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Installed and it works on a second partition on the same drive. To anyone that will be dual booting with Leopard 10.5 and snow leopard 10.6 in the install script create a EFI partion instead of a extra (extended) slice. The only thing that does not work is sound. Like I mentioned before I have the exact setup/hardware so I am not sure why its not getting any sound.

I will look into it further tomorrow with kext but if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Did you adjust your output from Headphone to Built-In speaker or Line-Out in System Preferences > Sound? For some reason, it is defaulted to output to headphones on the front. If you have no audio controls, it is a different issue. Try using the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler kext files from Digital Dreamers Kexts_1.0 folder in your /System/Library/Extensions

Hey dcbimmer, are you using onboard ethernet with the UD4P or the UD5? ...I know that the intro can freeze if you insert a USB drive or disk while starting up for the first time. Were you able to get into the OS, or are you stuck at the screen?

If you are using the 9800GT 1024MB you have to add your EFI string to the com.apple.boot.plist located in the EX58-UD4P>Plists folder before you run the installer script. It may work with the default 9800GT 512MB EFI string which is already in there, but you will only see 512MB in System Profiler instead of the 1024MB on your actual card.

If none of this works, and you are stuck at the installer screen without getting into the OS, try deleting your DSDT.aml and booting without it. Be sure to save your BIOS settings, as after your first boot/reboot without DSDT.aml installed, your BIOS settings will reset.

Hope this helps!

6GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory

buildcache (press enter)

Did you adjust your output from Headphone to Built-In speaker or Line-Out in System Preferences > Sound? For some reason, it is defaulted to output to headphones on the front. If you have no audio controls, it is a different issue. Try using the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler kext files from Digital Dreamers Kexts_1.0 folder in your /System/Library/Extensions

I installed the AppleAC97 kext but you were right it did default to headphone output. The internal speaker setup works but I am not sure if it was the AppleAC97 or switching to internal speaker that did it. I will test later by removing the AppleAC97 but I am sure it was the incorrect output setting.

The overall install process was flawless and I was able to update snow leopard without issues. Thanks again for posting this tutorial.

OK here's where I'm at I did the install two ways when it's time to load the bootloader instead of selecting option #3PC_EFI I selected the Chamelon bootloader v2 rc3 after that everything installs and I get stuck at the Already Own a Mac Screen during the first login phase. Now If I make the selections in your script which seem to be out of order because when I select PC_EFI as my boot loader I never see the make partition option. Now when I get to the Already Own a Mac screen when I select continue It goes to the next screen and I finally get to the desk top Hooray. Once there I have no network or sound. WTF am I doing wrong LOL!!!!!!!!

6GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory

buildcache (press enter)

OK here's where I'm at I did the install two ways when it's time to load the bootloader instead of selecting option #3PC_EFI I selected the Chamelon bootloader v2 rc3 after that everything installs and I get stuck at the Already Own a Mac Screen during the first login phase. Now If I make the selections in your script which seem to be out of order because when I select PC_EFI as my boot loader I never see the make partition option. Now when I get to the Already Own a Mac screen when I select continue It goes to the next screen and I finally get to the desk top Hooray. Once there I have no network or sound. WTF am I doing wrong LOL!!!!!!!!

Are you installing snow leopard to a machine that is currently running leopard 10.5, or snow leopard? I use the PC_EFI bootloader instead of chameleon with my guide, but both should work. What BIOS version do you have on your machine? Run through your BIOS settings and make sure you have everything according to DD's guide for the UD5.

Did you copy DSDT.aml to your destination snow drive?

Others on this forum have gotten it working with the same specs, so let me know if you figure out what might be causing your issue.

First off, thanks for the guide... I'm getting the spinning beach ball at the same screen though, where it asks if you want to transfer things...

I've got the right gfx string in the boot.com.apple.plist (also tried it with yours, and with none)... installed using chameleon, because I need to be able to launch windows too...

I've tried rebuilding the caches, and disabling spotlight from the command line....

I notice when the OS is loading, before it gets to the graphics, that it says it's unable to load both the appleHDA kext and the realtek ethernet one...

I've got the UD4P and a 8800GT.

Hmm, if I click "transfer from another mac", and then click "use ethernet", I also getting the spinning beach ball of death...

Anyways, my main Leopard hard drive died, so I don't have MacOS installed on my main machine, but I do have a little netbook running osX86 that I can use for fixes (I used an external hard drive on the netbook to do the installation, but it's a pain to use!)

Anyways, can anyone help?

Hi Guys,

First off great guide and well detailed. Unfortunately even after successful installations I am unable to boot into snow leopard. I get a Boot0 error.

I am doing things a bit differently though since other methods I've tried failed me.

The closes installation/mac boot success I had was with life hackers:

http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow...acking-required

This time I installed snow leopard to a SATA hard drive was though a SATA usb hdd dock.

Everything works well and there are no errors during the installer part but when I want to boot in mac os x I get the boot0 error and I have to ctrl-alt-del to reboot my system.

Has anyone seen this error before and if so could someone please provide suggestions on how to fix or tell me what I did wrong.

My current build:

intel core i7 920 oc to 3.00GHz

GIGABYTE-GA-EX58-UD5

12GB ram DDR3 1600 Corsair

nVidia GeForce GTX 285 (mac edition)

Kingwin 1200W PSU

1.5TB Seagate SATA 3.5" 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM

AHA! This was my problem.... after several unsuccessful tries, I did an attempt where I skipped this step, and it loaded first try! Even before I did the buildcache stuff in sudo mode...

So if anyone else is getting spinning beachballs of death when trying to click past the migration screen, try just installing the kexts where they want to go, instead of the places suggested in the guide...

Although, my Ethernet isn't working - it's recognized, but I can't connect to the internet with it :wacko: