INSTALLING FOR EX58-UD4P AND EX58-UD5 RETAIL SNOW LEOPARD
THIS GUIDE IS BASED ON AND USES Digital_Dreamer's EX58 SCRIPT FOR RETAIL SNOW LEOPARD. THIS GUIDE SHOULD WORK WITH BOTH THE UD4P AND THE UD5 MOTHERBOARDS, AND POSSIBLY OTHER BOARDS WHICH I HAVE YET TO TEST.
ALL CREDIT GOES TO Digital_Dreamer AND THE OTHER CONTRIBUTERS AT INSANELYMAC AND ELSEWHERE WHO HAVE HELPED TO MAKE THIS PROCESS POSSIBLE AND AVAILABLE.
ALL TOOLS AND PROGRAMS INCLUDED ARE PUBLIC AND FREE TO USE, YET THEY STILL ADHERE TO THE RIGHTS OF THEIR DEVELOPERS. WE ADVISE IF YOU ARE GOING TO INSTALL SNOW LEOPARD THAT YOU BUY A RETAIL PACKAGE OF APPLE'S OPERATING SYSTEM AND ANY APPLICATION YOU INTEND TO USE!
THIS INSTALLER IS DESIGNED TO WORK WHEN INSTALLING TO A SEPARATE PARTITION OR HARD DRIVE ON A MACHINE WHICH IS ALREADY RUNNING MAC OS X LEOPARD 10.5 OR SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.
Boot-132 RETAIL DVD Method Coming Soon!!!
THIS GUIDE WAS BUILT FOR AND TESTED WITH THE FOLLOWING HARDWARE,
AND IS CONFIRMED TO BE 100% VANILLA AND 100% FUNCTIONAL:
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P Motherboard w/ F10D Beta BIOS
OverClocked 3.33GHz i7 920 Processor
nVidia 9800GT 512MB Video Card
6GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory
500GB Seagate SATA Hard Drive
Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 Install DVD
ON THE UD4P, IF YOU PLAN TO OVERCLOCK YOU ARE BEST OFF WITH THE F10D BETA BIOS. ALSO MAKE SURE THAT AHCI IS ENABLED UNDER THE INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS OPTION IN YOUR COMPUTER'S BIOS.
1. Navigate using the Top Bar or through the Applications Folder to "Go > Utilites > Disk Utility" and run the application. Select your Target Hard Disk (the drive wish to restore to) which will be located in the left window on the left-hand side of the application. Click the Target Hard Disk to highlight it, then press the Partition tab. Select Options and format the Target Hard Disk as GUID and select any name you would like.
2. Insert or Mount your Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail DVD or image. Once the DVD or image is mounted, you can close the window that pops up, but be sure to leave the DVD or image mounted for the Installer script.
3. Download the EX58-UD4P Installer pack from Here. Unzip the file and open EX58-UD4P Installer folder. Before running the INSTALL file, make sure you add your Video Card String to com.apple.boot.plist (you can replace the current string in the boot.plist if you are not using 9800GT 512MB) located in the Plists folder in your installer. If you need the ATY_Init graphics injector, you can add it to your boot cache in the /Extra/Stored_Kexts folder after you boot back into snow leopard by re-running step 6 of the installer. Run the INSTALL file and enter your password when prompted. Select the number which corresponds to your Target Hard Drive drive and press enter, OR press Y (Yes) if the Target Hard Drive drive was already pre-selected for you.
4. Once inside the Installer script, press option #2 (installer bootloader) and press enter. Then select option #3 (PC_EFI for Snow) and press enter. Once you return to the main menu of the Installer script, select option #3 (set partition as active) and press enter, then next select Y (Yes) to set your drive as active. Next select option #4 (run retail DVD installer) and press enter. Run the installer and before installing to your hard drive click the "customize" button and uncheck everything that is not "essential system software." You can install the other packages later.
5. Once the install completes, return to the main menu of your Installer and select option #5 (Kext installer). Now you need change the paths of some kexts. Key in the numbers:
#1 and press enter, (AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from /System to /Extra)
#3 and press enter, (JMicronATA.kext from /System to /Extra)
#5 and press enter, (IONetworkingFamily.kext from /Extra to /System)
#7 and press enter, (fakesmc.kext from /System to /Extra)
#9 and press enter, (OpenHaltRestart.kext from /System to /Extra)
#10 and press enter, (PlatformUUID.kext from /System to /Extra)
#11 and press enter, (Sleepenabler.kext from /System to /Extra)
- Summary: You should leave only IONetworkingFamily.kext, RealtekR1000.kext, and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext inside /System, and everything else should go into /Extra.
WHEN COMPLETED PRESS Y (Yes) TO INSTALL THE KEXT AND UPDATE YOUR BOOT CACHE.
6. Once you return to the install menu, selection option #19 and press enter to close the installer. DO NOT RESTART YOUR COMPUTER YET. Navigate to your EX58-UD4P folder and open the DSDT folder. Right-click and copy the DSDT.aml file. Now go to your freshly installed drive and paste your DSDT.aml file to the /Extra folder. You are now ready to reboot!
7. Make sure to remove any extra internal/external hard drives (other than your freshly installed drive) until after you successfully boot into the operating system for the first time.
- IF YOU INSTALLED FROM A PC OR MAC RUNNING SNOW LEOPARD (10.6), YOU ARE DONE!
(Please reboot and post here with your successes!)
- IF YOU INSTALLED FROM A PC OR MAC RUNNING LEOPARD (10.5) YOU HAVE ONE MORE STEP:
*Additional Step for those installing from Leopard: Before you boot your Snow Leopard install for the first time, continually press F8 after you see the "Verifying DMI Pool Data" screen in your BIOS, and enter your PC_EFI bootloader GUI. Use your down arrow key to select "boot single-user mode". Wait for the prompt to arrive and type the following:
/sbin/mount -uw / (press enter)
buildcache (press enter)
once completed, type reboot (or manually reset if command does not work.) *
THAT'S IT! YOU ARE READY TO BOOT FOR THE FIRST TIME. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO RUN SOFTWARE UPDATE WITHOUT A HITCH TO GET YOUR SYSTEM UP TO DATE!
(Please reboot and post here with your successes!)