Gaming Hackintosh

antisocial535

13 posts in this topic

Hello

I have been looking into building a hackintosh to compete at LAN parties

I love the mac but would like to be able to show off some sweet graphics card and the macbook pro's navida 9400 doesn't seem to do that as much as I would like

I am only 15 and have never built a hackintosh before.. I am excited to learn more but I think I could use some guidance

I have already found a case, hard drive, power supply, ect all I need is a good motherboard, CPU, and Graphics card...

these are the general specs I am looking at

this is what I am looking for in a mother board

first .. works with snow leopard,

I would like to get an Intel Core i7 Quad 2.66 but if it doesn't that is ok as well

supports up to 16GB of DDR3 RAM(8 is still find though)

working sound with OSX if not then please recommend a good sound card

also a good FSB speed- 1000Mhz+

I am willing to spend between 200$ and 300$, if you don't know anything in that price range I am willing to bend on price before I change the specs I want

as far as the processor goes like I said before I would like to get an Intel Core i7 Quad 2.66

if you have any similar processor that work with OSX please recommend

the graphics card is the biggest thing for me

I don't know much about which ones work well with OSX but I would like to get a NAVIDA or ATI card

it needs to have at about1GB of GDDR3

I can pay between 150$ and 300$

I looking for a super computer here but I for sure don't have the money for a mac pro

any advice or hardware suggestions you could give me are much appreciated

opps fail :)

I was meaning to communicate that i can spend between 200$-300$ on the mother board alone

and between 150$ and 300$ on the graphics alone

I have a total budget of 1500$

I have found a good case, powersupply, HDDx2, ODDx2, ect... the part I need help with is the mother board, CPU, and GPU

here are my priorities while building this computer

1)compatible with OSX

2)powerful

3)good price

I am prepared to spend 730$ on the MOBO/CPU/GPU together and more if I can get more power(but I am not going to spend 1000$ on the intel quad extreme3.3Ghz) :P

forgive my noobishness :) but as far as I understand a hackintosh is a PC compatible with OSX... and to be compatible it must have a CPU, MOBO, and GPU that are all compatible with OSX... I have been searching the OSx86 wiki for good components but most are low end... or as a noob I have no idea what they are talking about... :P

basically I need help finding high end components that are mac OS compatible.. for sure I do not want to buy a 300$ graphics card and find out it doesn't work... I want to be reasonably sure the parts I am buying will work with OSX before I invest the money...

help please :blink:

thanks

o ya..

I play almost every blizzard game ever made..

StarCraft, WarCraft III, DOTA(icefrog), WOW(Alleria-Hord-Roushan), Deablo, ect...

I also play COD4 and Crusader Stronghold at LAN parties...

I want to have a more powerful system so that I can max out WOW, StarCraft 2 when it comes, COD4, COD5 and modern warfare 2 when it comes....

like if you know anything that could possibly help please post it...

of if you know where I should go to find professionals on hackintosh builds..

please reply .. phase 1 of my project will never be complete unless I get some kind of help

thank you all who post replies

I'm trying to plan this out as well.

Here's the motherboard I would pick. It is a solid overclocker and there is a lot of community support on this site to get OS X to run on it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128362

Pair that with a 920

For a video card, I'd recommend either a ATI 4890 or a nVidia GTX260. Both are about $200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130433

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150359

Hope this helps.

thanks man this is really great..

I checked out the mother board and it is way better than the one I was looking at for around the same price...

and it is good to know I can find more support for it on this sight thanks...

I found a combo deal where I can get a Geforce 275 GTX ect for 25$ off.. so I think I will go with that...

along with that 920 at 280$ I am still going the keep all my parts under budget...

This is really really great and I even found patches in the wiki for the GPU I chose...

In a few hours.. I will post my entire build and links to where I will be buying the parts... and one who reads this could check over it all and post if I miss any outstanding details... or anything seriously wrong with they build...

for now I have ot do some school work... ug I hate AP English :pirate2:

anyways .. thanks so much for your help I couldn't have done it with out you guys...

I will keep you posted... :whistle:

ok I just found this link

http://internetgames.about.com/od/hardware...pvideocards.htm

and it says the the HD Radeon 4890 is a lot cheeper than the geforce GTX 275 but around the same speed

I am trying to decide I am any really very confused

I will just say the ones I am thinking of and let the community decide

EVGA 896-P3-1171-AR GeForce GTX 275 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail -209$+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...0-478-_-Product

this is a cheeper but faster Nvida card I am interested in...

SPARKLE SXX275896D3-VP GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail~259$ I think

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...7-073-_-Product

This is the same but just super clocked... Do i need a super clocked addition while gaming..? what will it do for me?

XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail- 194$+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150359

this is about it...

which ever gets the most votes I will do

thanks

Nvidia equals win win, take it from a pirate, ATI I am not against, but there seems to be more support for the Gforce nvidia series and GTX series dont you think? Go Nvidia and Evga you wont regret it!!! :)

If you do not believe me take a look at the wiki.

Nvidia equals win win

Agreed. I used to have a soft-spot for ATi, but in terms of osx86 I've found that nVidia are the most commonly used, and thus best supported. Just look at what "real" Macs use - nVidia 9400 + 9600 in the Macbook Pro, 8800 in the older Mac Pro, etc etc

BTW I know you're only 14 and all, but when I was 12 (only 6 yrs ago) I was getting into computers, but I didn't post like crazy on forums looking for help. Trust me, you can find 99% of your answers via Google :) You learn in SO much more depth by finding things out for yourself too. Not having a go, just giving some advice if you really wanna understand your hackintosh!

Good luck and enjoy the Mac experience! :D

PS where did you get that massive budget from?! My budget was half that and I'm meant to be earning more than you! :(

I agree I have seen the wiki, nvidia has like 5x more support

there are few people I trust more on this planet than fellow pirates LONG LIVE PIRATE PAY

lol sory

I hear you guys, I just wanted to get some insanelymac input addressing my case and now that I have it I can move forward.

BUilding my first Hackintosh is as much a learning experience for me as it is a new gaming system.

though I am looking forward to learning I do not want to be learning from my mistakes not when 1500$ is involved :D

this is mostly why I wanted to directly ask people with more experience than me, to decrease my probability of making a mistake. I know I have no guarantee with a hackintosh but I am willing to take time to increase my probability of succeeding. Thanks guys for your help and support, I will keep you updated

I got my budget from saving.. for a long time

Hey guys

I have been doing a lot of work lately and have found almost every component that I need I have even chosen a graphics card.. the one last thing that I need to decide on is a mother board and a CPU I guess

Basically I have 2 things to ask

Does Mac OSX run on Intel's Quad Core i7 processors?

and can anyone help me find a good mother board?....

I am looking at a higher end mother board as you may have guessed from my previous posts

LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard with 3 way SLI support

and support for the Intel Quad Core i7 Processor...

Thanks