About as vanilla as I think is possible - 1 kext

bonfilio

4 posts in this topic

Part of me is very 'woohoo', but another part of me is 'hrm'.. just did a complete reformat and got everything working with just 1 kext.

/Extra/DSDT.aml

/Extra/DSDT.dsl (not needed, just like being able to tweak easily if needed)

/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

/Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext (v2)

My DSDT fixes the 10.5.8 sleep issue, fixes the CMOS reset issue, enables the Power Button dialog and a few other minor tweaks. Boot.plist adds a timeout and a device string for 9800gt and ethernet. I've always used custom icons for the drives so the standard yellow external drive icons never bothered me.

So far everything is working great. All my mac software is running fine (was a mac user before switching to hack so have a decent library of programs) - iLife 09, xcode, WOW, Creative Suite 1 and C4D (both under Rosetta), Crossover Games/Pro. TimeMachine is running great - did a few test restores of files to make sure.

Anyone else doing this? Is there a good reason to be running the NullCPU/OpenHalt kexts if you can boot w/o them?

Part of me is very 'woohoo', but another part of me is 'hrm'.. just did a complete reformat and got everything working with just 1 kext.

/Extra/DSDT.aml

/Extra/DSDT.dsl (not needed, just like being able to tweak easily if needed)

/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

/Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext (v2)

My DSDT fixes the 10.5.8 sleep issue, fixes the CMOS reset issue, enables the Power Button dialog and a few other minor tweaks. Boot.plist adds a timeout and a device string for 9800gt and ethernet. I've always used custom icons for the drives so the standard yellow external drive icons never bothered me.

So far everything is working great. All my mac software is running fine (was a mac user before switching to hack so have a decent library of programs) - iLife 09, xcode, WOW, Creative Suite 1 and C4D (both under Rosetta), Crossover Games/Pro. TimeMachine is running great - did a few test restores of files to make sure.

Anyone else doing this? Is there a good reason to be running the NullCPU/OpenHalt kexts if you can boot w/o them?

What is your system config?

Same here, only extra kext is fakesmc, running on Asus p5q-e, q6600@3.2GHz, nvidia GTX 260, soft RAID0 array(2x320GB), 2x1TB for all my data, wifi on atheros 5008(32bit mode) and z10 speakers via usb. Now because of the speakers I didn't have to install voodoohda and I've disabled both lan cards in bios, bios is of course moded version of 2001. Hell, I even got my ps3 remote to work as apple remote via remote buddy(bluetooth).....live is perfect sometimes ;)

I use two kexts (fakesmc and voodoohda) but no DSDT.aml. Snow leopard is even more tolerant of my BIOS than leopard and therefore i dont have to use a modded BIOS anymore. In leopard i have the classic "Using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer" hang but not on SL. Now literally every thing works.

I use a ASRock P45XE with a 9800GT.