Asus P6T SE Retail Snow Leopard Installation Guide [FLASHDRIVE] [UPDATED JUN. 28]]

tweak41

1,279 posts in this topic

Why no try MacPro5,1?

But relate to performance...

there is a lot of specifics trend relate to this question...

Fabio

Okay, tried MacPro5,1 performance of video under cinebench is same as MacPro4,1.

Any other suggestions?

You have made a very clear guide, I have been trying to install mac OSX on my system with no luck. so tried your guide. Everything goes to plan except when I have to use the kext utility.

first the kext utility fails to write the Extensions.mkext file to the usb installer.

Also i get the message, unable to find /Extra/Extensions/

Have posted screen shots as well.

screenshot20101113at215.png

screenshot20101113at215.png

I tried anyway to boot with this, when I try to boot using usb, all I get is a flickering cursor with no loading of chameleon. I booted using another disk and used the installer to try install osx but it gets stuck after initial few screens of text, cant get to stage of using disk utility

I would appreciate some help please

You have made a very clear guide, I have been trying to install mac OSX on my system with no luck. so tried your guide. Everything goes to plan except when I have to

You do realized this guide was for a specific Motherboard, are you using the same board? Please post your hardware specs in order to be able to point you to the right resource

You have made a very clear guide, I have been trying to install mac OSX on my system with no luck. so tried your guide. Everything goes to plan except when I have to use the kext utility.

Well first of all, you have to CREATE the Extra/Extensions folders and put the kexts inside for it to work.

Secondly, please read more thoroughly next time. I really thought the pictures were explanatory enough...

bootdevice.png

You very clearly put the folders and files in the wrong place.

Strange issues... I tried installing the latest chameleon to a fresh flash. It doesnt even show the screen where I choose which hdd to boot.

If i use the old guide's external boot loader files to prep the flash first, and then install the latest chameleon over it, it can work fine to the hdd screen. but after that it goes to a "restart your machine" screen (i must disable graphics enabler for it to even get this far)

it was working in the past when i had a windows ntfs secondary drive connected.

now that i disconnected everything except the mac hdd, this is happening.

anyone encounter such issues?

You do realized this guide was for a specific Motherboard, are you using the same board? Please post your hardware specs in order to be able to point you to the right resource

Motherboard is the main issue I think

My system specs

Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz

ASUS P6T SE iX58 Socket 1366 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

OCZ 120GB Vertex 2 SSD 3.5" SATA-II

G-Skill 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Ripjaws Memory Module ( have only installed 4 GB initially)

Gigabyte HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Display Port Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Well first of all, you have to CREATE the Extra/Extensions folders and put the kexts inside for it to work.

Secondly, please read more thoroughly next time. I really thought the pictures were explanatory enough...

bootdevice.png

You very clearly put the folders and files in the wrong place.

I did create Extensions folder in the Extra folder created by Chameleon. I copied the two kexts into extensions folder as you suggested and copied the DSDT for 950 processor to the extra folder as well as the com.Apple.boot.plist into Extra folder then ran the kext utility and posted the screenshot of the final output it gave me. As in your post I was expecting to see extensions.mkext to appear in the Extra folder but that did not happen.

ATI 5770 can work with 64bit on 10.6.5. I'll post my guide soon ;)

Hi Becks,

Hope to try your guide soon!

Read about a kaybl boot loader that might solve it but its not working for me.

ischan,

I successfully installed 10.6.5 with P6T SE and ATI 5770 running on 64bit

My instruction base on dgobe, iFabio with the mobo.

With the ATI 5770, i got a lot of trouble and time to solve and finally i get myself best way to make it working.

The important thing with my ATI 5770 that it works with 64bit and "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" :)

Follow netkas's guide only work in 32bit and "GraphicsEnabler=No". netkas's guide is here!

I will post my guide how to install P6T SE work with ATI 5770 running on 64bit soon (because I'm working now :P )

Hi Fabio, I admire you so much for your work with ASUS mobo. I still following and using your stuff for ASUS mobo. Once again, thanks for your work. I get my dream come true with Mac OS now Fabio.

Becks Pham

The guide by nekas isnt very informative. He gives links to a rom and a driver file but doesnt say what to do with them after that.

If its a rom file it probably has something to do with putting it in the /Extra folder and editing the com.apple.boot.plist to include ATI roms but I havent been able to get that working.

Here's what I tried so far:

I use the Chameleon (old method from tweak's page 1. New method chameleon doesnt boot even with graphics enabler set to "n" and DSDT files for my P6t SE and i7 920 CPU.

Boot loader from Flash

I followed these guides:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5779

http://www.darwinx86.net/forum/24-bootload...r-radeon-hd5000

What I did:

Get SnowLeopard Graphics Update and use Pacifier to extract ATI5000Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX3000.kext .

Edit in my 0x68b81002 string into the kexts by rightclicking, showing package contents, and editing info.plist. Paste my 0x68b81002 string after <key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>

Extract my ATI 5770 bin file using GPU-Z and rename it to 1002_68b8.rom and put it in my boot loader's /Extra folder

Modify com.apple.boot.plist to contain:

<key>UseAtiROM</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

Use Kext Helperb7 to install ATI5000Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX3000.kext

It doesnt boot and I reinstlled 10.6.4

I also tried copying in manually and using Kext editor to repair permissions.

It doesnt boot and I reinstlled 10.6.4

(Tried backup and restore with Disk Utility, doesnt work. Tried Super Duper, always fails finding UUID to clone HDD. so no choice, full reinstall everytime. )

I have also tried putting the kexts in the Extra/Extensions folder instead. Doesnt work.

I have also tried the ATI5000 injector in this post:

put it in the Extra/Extensions folder but doesnt work. (Dont understand French, just guessing)

Can I ask for help on what I'm not doing right?

I also tried replacing Chameleon's standard Boot file with the one found here:

Did not help.

@ischan :

I followed this guide too : http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5779

But with my experience from make ATI 5770 work with 32bit and i did a fresh install after that. Everything work fine. I post the guide tomorrow because that PC on my company. I prepare all thing and make guide soon. Hope it can help you !

PS: I'll make guide with some picture, i think it will be more helpful than text only ;)

When I updated to 10.6.5, I got no signal for my display. Screen is black. I have a radeon 4850 which caused trouble in the past similar to this, so I tried the methods I used previously, to no avail. Apparently 10.6.5 doesn't even have ATI kexts. Do you know what they are now?

I updated to 10.6.5 and run in 64bit but no sound working ...

I read and tried many guide in this forum but it still not working.

Could anyone tell me what should I do from the beginning to make the sound working ???

Thanks in adavance.

I updated to 10.6.5 and run in 64bit but no sound working ...

I read and tried many guide in this forum but it still not working.

Could anyone tell me what should I do from the beginning to make the sound working ???

Thanks in adavance.

install applehda from 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext.zip

When I updated to 10.6.5, I got no signal for my display. Screen is black. I have a radeon 4850 which caused trouble in the past similar to this, so I tried the methods I used previously, to no avail. Apparently 10.6.5 doesn't even have ATI kexts. Do you know what they are now?

try reinstall ati kexts using pacifist. download first the update package from apple website and extract them from it. I don't know what you mean with "apparently 10.6.5 doesn't have ati kexts" but I have seen sometimes corrupted kexts after new installations (for example my applehda just after 10.6.5 update, weights about 300 Kb ;), I don't know why). I have ati 4890 and She works very fine, just adding id or installing the netkas exotic package. that doesn't appens since update 10.6.1

Thanks again for the great guide, hats off to Tweek and iFabio. I used it when you originally posted the guide and it worked pretty well. Even though I was using a P6T. I had some issues with my graphics card a ATI 1950pro. So I could not update past 10.2. But since then found a great driver in the post forum area. Now I revisited your guide and see the updates and it works much better. I am sure Chameleon 2 RC5 helps a lot as well. The only issue I have is with bonjour devices not showing up. But I think I have an extension

Thanks again.

oq

Hi,

I'm in desperate trouble here; I've tried both installation methods on my P6T SE but having no luck. The boot loader loads ok and I can see Installer as an option, when I hit enter all I get is a blank screen then the system reboots...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. :(

System:

Core i7 980X

12 Gb triple channel ram ddr3

P6TSE

nvidia 9400

seagate 1.5Tb HD

Hi,

I'm in desperate trouble here; I've tried both installation methods on my P6T SE but having no luck. The boot loader loads ok and I can see Installer as an option, when I hit enter all I get is a blank screen then the system reboots...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. :D

System:

Core i7 980X

12 Gb triple channel ram ddr3

P6TSE

nvidia 9400

seagate 1.5Tb HD

Boot with -v (you can hit the down arrow on the keyboard on Installer and select 'Verbose')

It must panic somewhere, so if you could take a picture or write what you see here maybe we can help.

Boot with -v (you can hit the down arrow on the keyboard on Installer and select 'Verbose')

It must panic somewhere, so if you could take a picture or write what you see here maybe we can help.

Also booting with the minimal amount of ram installed can help avoid kernel panics. I believe under 4gb system memory is the magic number for installation.

You should also learn to use Google to search the forums and guides. I taught myself that way!

post-515853-1289961470_thumb.jpg

Hi,

This is the best I could do - it's all over pretty quick even with the -v option selected...

I'm at a loss: the problem originates from upgrading my system to 10.6.5 (...from 10.6.4 which ran awesome)

I get similar message when I try to boot into OSX HD..

:2cents:

post-515853-1289961470_thumb.jpg

Hi,

This is the best I could do - it's all over pretty quick even with the -v option selected...

I'm at a loss: the problem originates from upgrading my system to 10.6.5 (...from 10.6.4 which ran awesome)

I get similar message when I try to boot into OSX HD..

:2cents:

Did you try adding an smbios.plist to your extra folder?

Also booting with the minimal amount of ram installed can help avoid kernel panics. I believe under 4gb system memory is the magic number for installation.

You should also learn to use Google to search the forums and guides. I taught myself that way!

I think he doesn't use cpus=1 busratio=xx flags(23?24? :huh: I don't know wich multipler uses i7 980x) or he has a bad bios configuration.however, if the the problem is the ram, there's a solution at the beginning of this threath that fix this issue using terminal with an old dsdt patcher. I don't remember what he does but i know you must use an embrional dsdt that has another extension. for me it has worked :D

I am hoping someone could help me, have read all 53 pages of this post now, I am trying to install osx on my new built desktop, config in my sig. I have kept the min ram (1x 4GB), configured as AHCI with hyperthreading disabled

I have used the Chameleon v 2.0 r 568 and made all the changes shown in the screenshots, when tried to boot using USB, the cursor just keeps blinking and then nothing.

So used the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] disk from tonymacx86 forum and could see the usb disk for install. ran the installer in verbose mode and then get stuck at still waiting for root device. Have taken screenshots of my usb installer and the installation screen, hoping if someone could help me point in right direction

screenshot20101117at143.jpg

screenshot20101117at143.jpg

img0114ka.jpg

I am hoping someone could help me, have read all 53 pages of this post now, I am trying to install osx on my new built desktop, config in my sig. I have kept the min ram (1x 4GB), configured as AHCI with hyperthreading disabled

So used the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] disk from tonymacx86 forum and could see the usb disk for install. ran the installer in verbose mode and then get stuck at still waiting for root device. Have taken screenshots of my usb installer and the installation screen, hoping if someone could help me point in right direction

your disk is formatted hfs+? you can try adding this kext IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.zip

your disk is formatted hfs+? you can try adding this kext IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.zip

add this kext to extra/extensions/ and remake the file extensions.mkext using kext utility

@Jemmyuk

Make sure you have the latest BIOS. Then reset all your BIOS settings to factory default and change only your SATA to AHCI. Then try install again. You don't need to disable hyper threading with iFabio's DSDT.

There's a small chance your graphics card isn't cooperating, although that makes the least amount of sense.

@bakez

Do you have any other hardware installed? Mine KPed when I first updated to 10.6.5 because of a wireless card that I had installed. I removed the kext and solved the problem until I feel like experimenting to get it working again.

@Jemmyuk

There's a small chance your graphics card isn't cooperating, although that makes the least amount of sense.

usually, when appears ''pci-root-uid value:0'' the graphic card doesn't works properly. try delete caches in S/L/E if there are and the nvidia kexts. I have the same problem with my ati 4650. i resolve this issue removing ati drivers, i don't know what appens with nvidia.

you can also try use pc efi 10.6 for boot at the moment, but i think you need chameleon rc5 to have qe/ci with 260 gtx.

download pc-efi 10.6 and put this in your root, then unzip and add this to your extra foldersmbios.plist.zip

HI ALL.

I port for the P6T SE my last DSDT v3.3 (stripped and optimized).

ONLY for P6T SE

i7 920 --> HERE <--

i7 930 --> HERE <--

i7 940 --> HERE <--

i7 950 --> HERE <--

i7 965 --> HERE <--

i7 975 --> HERE <--

i7 980x--> HERE <--

A legacy only for P6T SE with ALC1200.kext and OrangeIconFix.kext all-in-one

P6T-SE.kext --> HERE <--

(no assertion error in the kernel-log :) )

I suggest use this version of FakeSMC with MacPro4,1 keys (modded by smith@@)

FakeSMC.kext --> HERE <--

In the dir System/Library/Extensions you need owerwrite your AppleHDA.kext (original 10.6.3) with this binpatched by smith@@

- AppleHDA.kext --> HERE <--

So we need:

In Extra/Extensions you need:

- FakeSMC.kext

- P6T-SE.kext

Exellent utility for all operation like rebuild caches and install new kext:

Kext Utility v2.3.2 (cVad) --> HERE <--

enjoy...

Fabio

I followed the above instructions by iFabio, manage to get booted into chameleon but just after few lines the screen goes blank. Can someone shed light on what can I do to get the install working?

Also if I wanted to try the recent version of chameleon, do I need to restore the usb disk from start and then run chameleon or can I run it and it should overwrite the previous one?

usually, when appears ''pci-root-uid value:0'' the graphic card doesn't works properly. try delete caches in S/L/E if there are and the nvidia kexts. I have the same problem with my ati 4650. i resolve this issue removing ati drivers, i don't know what appens with nvidia.

you can also try use pc efi 10.6 for boot at the moment, but i think you need chameleon rc5 to have qe/ci with 260 gtx.

download pc-efi 10.6 and put this in your root, then unzip and add this to your extra foldersmbios.plist.zip

Thanks ytrox

I will give this a try, will update soon. I did try with the latest version of chamelon RC5 posted by ifabio but after starting install ended with a black screen.

@Jemmyuk

Make sure you have the latest BIOS. Then reset all your BIOS settings to factory default and change only your SATA to AHCI. Then try install again. You don't need to disable hyper threading with iFabio's DSDT.

I installed windows first, downloaded the latest bios from asus and flashed it to the mb. I will try resetting it to factory settings and then make setting changes again to see. If you thinks the Graphics card is an issue, do I use the Graphics enabler -No option?

The guide in your post uses the chameleon RC5 ver 568, noted the options of graphics disabled and other tweaks in the newer version, would that help? Also can I just run the newer version of chameleon or do I need to restore the installer disk afresh to do this?