Asus P6T SE Retail Snow Leopard Installation Guide [FLASHDRIVE] [UPDATED JUN. 28]]

tweak41

1,279 posts in this topic

I need to ask for some help. I'm very new to hackintosh installation and I don't know how to write my own code or understand quite a bit of the technical language that's being discussed on a lot of the forums.

Read from page 1 to 17 of the thread so far but havent seen my problem experienced by any one else so far.

I followed the guide on the first page. If I do everything that the guide says using chameleon RC5, I can't get the flash drive to boot up. What happens is I get a 100% fan speed, black screen scenario.

I followed the old version of the guide that was still on the first page, that describes how to do it using terminal and how to upgrade to 10.6.2 and that worked fine getting me into 10.6.0.

However, once I try upgrading into 10.6.2 and 10.6.4, my Asus nvidia gefore 8500 gt goes into 1024x768 resolution instead of the normal resolution 1920 x 1080.

In 10.6.4 I also lose sound. I've tried using the kext posted on the first page and the kext utility but after restarting I still don't have any sound.

I got myself a AT HD 5770 card which I've read is supported in 10.6.4 but I don't understand a lot of the instructions on some of the other forms that teach how to get it supported such as one i saw on tonymac.

May I ask for a little help on the sound issue and the video card issue please?

I don't know why chameleon RC5 doesn't work when the old method does but here are my system specs:

P6T SE

6 gigs of Ram

i7 920

Asus nvidia gefore 8500 gt or ATI HD 5770 (I have both cards)

SATA 500g HDD

SSD 64g HDD (I've tried playing with both hard drives and it doesn't seem to cause hardware problems either way.)

I get strange behavior but I've found ways to work around it. For example if 10.6.0, I have to install it with my 5770.

If I go straightaway with the nvidia, it won't boot up all the way through to the desktop the next time I restart. But if I install with 5770, and load the boot up files into my HDD, restart, and then replace the video card, it works. If I switch into nvidia any sooner, or if I leave the boot loader on a flash drive instead of the hard drive itself, it won't boot to desktop. But hopefully this won't be a problem anymore if I can learn how to run with 5770 in 10.6.4

P6T SE

6 gigs of Ram

i7 920

SATA 500g HDD

SSD 64g HDD (I've tried playing with both hard drives and it doesn't seem to cause hardware problems either way.)

I get strange behavior but I've found ways to work around it. For example if 10.6.0, I have to install it with my 5770.

If I go straightaway with the nvidia, it won't boot up all the way through to the desktop the next time I restart. But if I install with 5770, and load the boot up files into my HDD, restart, and then replace the video card, it works. If I switch into nvidia any sooner, or if I leave the boot loader on a flash drive instead of the hard drive itself, it won't boot to desktop. But hopefully this won't be a problem anymore if I can learn how to run with 5770 in 10.6.4

Hi.

When you have time post your IOREGExplorer registry file.

Fabio

Hi.

When you have time post your IOREGExplorer registry file.

Fabio

Hi Fabio. I managed to get the ioreg file.

This reg file is from a 10.6.4 installation. Managed to get it to start via flash boot, using ATI HD 5770 as my graphics card still in 1024 x 768 resolution.

I tried the audio kext on the first page and used the kext utility to rebuild but there is still no audio device found after restarting.

Its also using the old guide boot loader, not the RC5 guide that doesnt boot through and results in a black screen 100% fan speed scenario.

I found some info on the internet suggesting installing the apple released Snow Leopard Graphic Driver Updates to get ATI 5770 working. I did it and it killed my install. The boot loader worked fine but it brought me to a grey screen saying that I needed to restart my OS. I couldnt get past it and had to reinstall. For reasons unknown to me, after the reinstall , I tried reapplying the audio kext on page 1 and it now works. I hope i dont need to reinstall the os. i might lose it again on the next try.

All thats left to figure out is my video display issues.

Geforce 8500 GT works in 10.6.0 but is crippled to 1024 x 768 in 10.6.4

ati 5770 is crippled to 1024 x 768 in either scenario.

i7___s_Mac_Pro1.zip

Hi Fabio. I managed to get the ioreg file.

This reg file is from a 10.6.4 installation. Managed to get it to start via flash boot, using ATI HD 5770 as my graphics card still in 1024 x 768 resolution.

I tried the audio kext on the first page and used the kext utility to rebuild but there is still no audio device found after restarting.

Its also using the old guide boot loader, not the RC5 guide that doesnt boot through and results in a black screen 100% fan speed scenario.

I found some info on the internet suggesting installing the apple released Snow Leopard Graphic Driver Updates to get ATI 5770 working. I did it and it killed my install. The boot loader worked fine but it brought me to a grey screen saying that I needed to restart my OS. I couldnt get past it and had to reinstall. For reasons unknown to me, after the reinstall , I tried reapplying the audio kext on page 1 and it now works. I hope i dont need to reinstall the os. i might lose it again on the next try.

All thats left to figure out is my video display issues.

Geforce 8500 GT works in 10.6.0 but is crippled to 1024 x 768 in 10.6.4

ati 5770 is crippled to 1024 x 768 in either scenario.

For mine poor knowledge you can use both card...(but yep I think you prefer the 5770...)

Give me some day and I try to inject it in your DSDT (or similar method)

Fabio

The 5750 gives the same = get stuck at 1024*768 which is a bit strange since it´s used in never macs so it should pretty much should work out of the box I think.

I realize I sooner or later have to abandon my buddys the good old 7300 gs cards so I decided to try this Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 1gig GDDR5 card. Both DVI ports work but not as sep outs both show the same (desktop) and 1024*768 resolution.

For mine poor knowledge you can use both card...(but yep I think you prefer the 5770...)

Fabio

Thanks for the help in advance Fabio. I've read on different forums about injecting and applying different kexts but its a bit beyond my understanding right now.

I keep reading up and slowly it makes more sense but not completely clear yet.

If its simple testing and rebuilding I can try but right now too many things I dont understand yet.

Thanks for the help in advance Fabio. I've read on different forums about injecting and applying different kexts but its a bit beyond my understanding right now.

I keep reading up and slowly it makes more sense but not completely clear yet.

If its simple testing and rebuilding I can try but right now too many things I dont understand yet.

just for knowledge...

what bootloader you use? chameleon 2 RC4 or RC5 ?

Fabio

The 5750 gives the same = get stuck at 1024*768 which is a bit strange since it´s used in never macs so it should pretty much should work out of the box I think.

I realize I sooner or later have to abandon my buddys the good old 7300 gs cards so I decided to try this Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 1gig GDDR5 card. Both DVI ports work but not as sep outs both show the same (desktop) and 1024*768 resolution.

Exist the "way" to get it works...

starobrno1 what is exactly your specs...

(I didn't see your specs in your signature)

Fabio

just for knowledge...

what bootloader you use? chameleon 2 RC4 or RC5 ?

Fabio

Exist the "way" to get it works...

starobrno1 what is exactly your specs...

(I didn't see your specs in your signature)

Fabio

Hi Fabio,

I use the Chameleon loader version in the "Old Method" of tweak's post on page 1. I use his P6T Essentials and 10.6.2 update package files and the version of Chameleon inside.

I've tried the RC5 but I get the black screen with 100% fan speed problem. This might be due to unrecognized graphic card which some posts say need to set a graphics enabler to 'No' but i havent tried editing that into my boot files because i'm not sure if i need to rebuild anything if I edit the files and how to rebuild.

Hi there, thanks for the great tutorial! one question, how can i create the extensions.mkext

Task: Pack "/Volumes/osx86/Extra/Extensions"

to "/Volumes/osx86/Extra/Extensions.mkext"

Repair Permissions for "/Volumes/osx86/Extra/Extensions" ... Done.

-- Total processed: 37 files for 1 sec.

kext: 8

plugin: 0

bundle: 0

ppp: 0

Search "Extensions.mkext" ... Not Found.

Packing new "Extensions.mkext" ...

Sorry, could not create "Extensions.mkext"

I did try to find a answer for this on google but i can't find a proper answer... btw i'm using vmware to create the image on a hdd usb drive, i did try to boot without the kexts but this is not working (serialATAPI device reconfiguration did not complete successfully) SerialATAPI Terminating due to unrecoverable Reset error -drive has stopped responding (resetType = 0x0, newPowerState = 0x1/code

I understand this has something to do with the boot.plist, is there another way to create the mkext?

Thanks

You don't actually need the Extensions.mkext file. It's just a cache file for the kexts that speeds up booting by the slimmest of margins. As long as they're in a folder called "Extensions" on your boot device, it should work. You will want to look up how to repair permissions though.

Just as a heads up to everyone--It is safe to update to 10.6.5.

Just for my knowledge, is there a minimum of kexts necessary to build the Extensions.mkext?

Nope. You could have one kext in there.

Is your BIOS the latest version? 0808? Are you using iFabio's DSDT file?

Please put your system specs in your signature, so we have a better idea of what you're working with.

The 10.6.5 is safe on P6T SE too.

Tested on my second hack in signature.

For fix AppleHDA(10.6.5) after update

fireup you terminal and digit

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x85\x08\xec\x10|\x88\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

the system ask for admin password put it and hit enter.. ;) finish restart and enjoy!

Binpatch perl info credits to aschar

Fabio

The 10.6.5 is safe on P6T SE too.

Tested on my second hack in signature.

For fix AppleHDA(10.6.5) after update

fireup you terminal and digit

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x85\x08\xec\x10|\x88\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

the system ask for admin password put it and hit enter.. :) finish restart and enjoy!

Binpatch perl info credits to aschar

Fabio

I didn't need to patch anything in order for my sound to work. I just copied the AppleHDA kext back over after installation, ran Kext Utility, and voila! :)

I didn't need to patch anything in order for my sound to work. I just copied the AppleHDA kext back over after installation, ran Kext Utility, and voila! :)

10.6.5 goes into an infinite boot loop at the grey screen with the apple and the spinning icon for me. I managed to get the latest chameleon rc5 to book in 10.6.4 by setting graphics enabler to 'n'.

I tried it with 10.6.5 but no go.

Just finished reinstalling to 10.6.4 at 1024x768, not tried the sound kext yet.

10.6.5 goes into an infinite boot loop at the grey screen with the apple and the spinning icon for me. I managed to get the latest chameleon rc5 to book in 10.6.4 by setting graphics enabler to 'n'.

I tried it with 10.6.5 but no go.

Just finished reinstalling to 10.6.4 at 1024x768, not tried the sound kext yet.

Must be your graphics card?

On November 11th Asus released a new bios update for our P6T SE: 0908 BIOS .

You can download it here: http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us

Or download it from this post

iFabio can you post your DSDT updated to reflect this new Bios? Thanks!

Seems like a big upgrade, they only list "Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at:.."

But going from 808 to 908 you can tell there are a lot of bug fixes here..

I have also uploaded the file to this post:

P6T_SE_ASUS_0908.zip

On November 11th Asus released a new bios update for our P6T SE: 0908 BIOS .

You can download it here: http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us

Or download it from this post

iFabio can you post your DSDT updated to reflect this new Bios? Thanks!

Seems like a big upgrade, they only list "Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at:.."

But going from 808 to 908 you can tell there are a lot of bug fixes here..

I have also uploaded the file to this post:

P6T_SE_ASUS_0908.zip

The update BIOS listed talk about a new CPU supported...

So... for now the DSDT don't need change... and when the new CPU will be listed probably I add a new DSDT for that CPU...

Off Topic..

Any Idea what is this new CPU? a variant of 980x?

Fabio

The update BIOS listed talk about a new CPU supported...

So... for now the DSDT don't need change... and when the new CPU will be listed probably I add a new DSDT for that CPU...

Off Topic..

Any Idea what is this new CPU? a variant of 980x?

Fabio

Right but obviously given the version number they changed a lot more than that! =) Which is evident after updating it and looking at the BIOS. New features added. Not sure why they did not document, but a bit of Googling reveals Asus does not release change log doc's!

iFabio do you have any idea why performance on GTX 285 suffers so much when system type is set to MacPro4,1? I get about half the FPS in cine bench than if it was in MacPro3,1

iFabio do you have any idea why performance on GTX 285 suffers so much when system type is set to MacPro4,1? I get about half the FPS in cine bench than if it was in MacPro3,1

Why no try MacPro5,1?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>03/08/2010</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP51.88Z.007F.B00.1008031144</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F221BEC8</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>Mac Pro</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro5,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>XXXXXXXXXX</string>
</plist>
</dict>
</plist>

But relate to performance...

there is a lot of specifics trend relate to this question...

Fabio

I need to ask for some help. I'm very new to hackintosh installation and I don't know how to write my own code or understand quite a bit of the technical language that's being discussed on a lot of the forums.

Read from page 1 to 17 of the thread so far but havent seen my problem experienced by any one else so far.

I followed the guide on the first page. If I do everything that the guide says using chameleon RC5, I can't get the flash drive to boot up. What happens is I get a 100% fan speed, black screen scenario.

I followed the old version of the guide that was still on the first page, that describes how to do it using terminal and how to upgrade to 10.6.2 and that worked fine getting me into 10.6.0.

However, once I try upgrading into 10.6.2 and 10.6.4, my Asus nvidia gefore 8500 gt goes into 1024x768 resolution instead of the normal resolution 1920 x 1080.

In 10.6.4 I also lose sound. I've tried using the kext posted on the first page and the kext utility but after restarting I still don't have any sound.

I got myself a AT HD 5770 card which I've read is supported in 10.6.4 but I don't understand a lot of the instructions on some of the other forms that teach how to get it supported such as one i saw on tonymac.

May I ask for a little help on the sound issue and the video card issue please?

I don't know why chameleon RC5 doesn't work when the old method does but here are my system specs:

P6T SE

6 gigs of Ram

i7 920

SATA 500g HDD

ischan,

I successfully installed 10.6.5 with P6T SE and ATI 5770 running on 64bit

My instruction base on dgobe, iFabio with the mobo.

With the ATI 5770, i got a lot of trouble and time to solve and finally i get myself best way to make it working.

The important thing with my ATI 5770 that it works with 64bit and "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" :D

Follow netkas's guide only work in 32bit and "GraphicsEnabler=No". netkas's guide is here!

I will post my guide how to install P6T SE work with ATI 5770 running on 64bit soon (because I'm working now :( )

Fabio

Hi Fabio, I admire you so much for your work with ASUS mobo. I still following and using your stuff for ASUS mobo. Once again, thanks for your work. I get my dream come true with Mac OS now Fabio.

Becks Pham

I updated the bios and it seems it works ok so far. The real test will be when I broadcast next time on JTV or make a Skype call with Camtwist loaded in to Skype, I mean if it will let me switch between Bcasting cams and/or my desktop without freezing.

The Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 works at least 32 bit with the 10.6.5 update and device id 0x68be1002 pasted in to the ATI5000ontroller.kext + the ATY_Init.kext in your Extensions folder.

I updated the bios and it seems it works ok so far. The real test will be when I broadcast next time on JTV or make a Skype call with Camtwist loaded in to Skype, I mean if it will let me switch between Bcasting cams and/or my desktop without freezing.

The Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 works at least 32 bit with the 10.6.5 update and device id 0x68be1002 pasted in to the ATI5000ontroller.kext + the ATY_Init.kext in your Extensions folder.

ATI 5770 can work with 64bit on 10.6.5. I'll post my guide soon :P