Asus P6T SE Retail Snow Leopard Installation Guide [FLASHDRIVE] [UPDATED JUN. 28]]

tweak41

1,279 posts in this topic

Hey everyone.

This installed method worked for me. I'm running 10.6.0 - pretty much everything is running smoothly (sound, sleep etc) although I have 2 slight problems. When I go under "about this mac" it's only showing 4GB of ram even though there's actually 6GB in there and the other thing I noticed is that it recognized the processor as being 2.84GHz, but it says "unknown" instead of core i7 930. Can someone help me out? Thanks so much guys.

Even though my hack seemed to work good there was still that vague feel it was´nt 100 ok. So I decided to reinstall SL to another harddrive.

Since I had a hard time getting the USB flashdrive method to work and this time I did´nt want to open my external USB harddrive to use borrow it for my new install I decided to try something else.

Back in the Leo days I always went by Ltls method it always worked, in fact I even used for my first SL install. This time since I already had my computer up running I used only a very small part of it:

Make an ISO of your retail SL put it in a folder called Retail. Mount your OS X image.

Format the harddrive the usual way name it to what you want, I named mine Macintosh. Obviously you have to have that HDD hooked up and what was cool this worked with the HDD hooked up to a Sata port on the mobo did´nt have to use that external USB HDD trick.

Open a terminal

TYPE or cut n past into Terminal: cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

TYPE or cut n past into Terminal: open OSInstall.mpkg

Install onto your Macintosh labeled drive

Then download the 10.6.4 combo update and install it to Macintosh (your drive) then install Chameleon rc5 rev384. Check/make sure it created that Extra folder. Put the DSDT.aml Ifabio made for your version cpu and the com.apple.plist (edit it to your needs) from this thread in there. Put he fakesmc.kext Ifabio recommends and any extra kexts you might need in the Extra/Extensions folder.

Reboot make sure it boots from your new install and let the installation finnish. That´s it, goes really quick even though I did a full install printers languages everything. The new Install works just so smooth, when I check out with repair permissions there are no repairs.

Just thought I should share.

I'm having a lot of problems getting the Flash disk installation working.

I'd appreciate any help.

Everything goes fine till I get the installation screen.

I type -v to give a visual indication of what's going on.

It gets to 'Initialization complete' then there's some stuff about Bootcache

Warning about com.apple.driver

and then it crashes.

I thought that it might be because I'm using an ATI video card, so I replaced the boot file on the thumb drive with EFI 10v3 boot file and renamed it 'boot'. But this doesn't seemed to have made any difference. Everything else is as Tweak41 described in his instructions.

Here is the text from installation before it crashes:

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Intialization complete

shutdown false

Bootcache : hit rate below threshold (9 hits on 1816 lookup)

Bootcache : hit rate below threshold (9 hits on 1817 lookup)

Bootcache : could not terminate cache on bad hitrate

** Apple SMBusPCI : : Start failed to get acpi path for provider

** Device in slot : SLOT --1 **

Warning - com.apple.driver. InternalModemSupport declares no kernel dependencies: using com.apple.kernel.6.0

Apple RTL8169Ethernet : Ethernet address 48:5b:39:89:b3:aa

Then the screen just goes jumbled.

Are you using the correct DSDT.aml file for your processor? And what version of the installation disk are you using? 10.6.3 or 10.6.0?

Tweak41

Many thanks for replying.

I'm using your standard installation from page 1.

The only thing I changed was the boot file because I have an ATI card and you suggested using the 10v3 file.

I'm using a i7 930 processor which is different to the i7 920. How do I change the DSDT.aml file on the flash drive?

The installation disk I have is 10.6.0

It will take you a while, but I recommend you read through all the pages on this thread. I think you'll learn a lot and you will also know exactly what files you need when you finally get to updating to 10.6.4. iFabio was kind enough to put up DSDT files for all the i7 processors. You may need to search 10-15 pages back for those.

If you have problems with the flashdrive method take a look on how did it. My first tips should work just to get you up running and even from the external USB drive if you want. My second tips gives the best install though but then you have to install from another hack or from the install you made with my first tips.

My second gave me my best ever working hackmac works super smooth, and it was also the quickest install I ever have experienced. What´s more is I could go directly to the 10.6.4 combo update even before the step where you reboot to finnish the installation. You have to read up on how to make your onboard sound work though cause as I understand there´s some stuff you need from the 10.6.2. I don´t use onboard sound I have other soundcards I use for music recording.

Good luck

Thank you very much for your replies.

As I mentioned before, I'm not very familiar with the OS X file system and I didn't have an OS X computer to hand in order to quickly change things on the Flash Drive etc.

So forgive me if some things seem a bit obvious to you.

This is my entry into the OS X world because I need to work with a particular programme that is only available on Mac.

I've now managed to borrow an OS X machine in order to make changes to the Flash Drive etc. so I'll change the DSDT file and see if that makes any difference.

I followed the initial post, but when I boot on the flash drive, I get to the bootloader, then I have a kernel panik.

P6T SE

i7 930

ATI HD 5870

help me please

Mmm.

I think I'm in the same boat as you Manu0600 as I have a similar spec. machine:

i7 930 processor and ATI video card.

I get the same thing with the flash drive etc.

It starts to do the install and then crashes.

Read my description above. Is that what you are getting?

I'm hoping to try Wolverine's technique instead. (He's offered to do a disk for me).

Please boot with -v option and post the outcome here

Sorry for the delay on the boot cd im posting on my iphone and im studying on the morning and working after lunch

Have you tryed booting with -v -x ?

I assume you are talking to Manu0600. I already posted the outcome of booting with -v (above)

What does -v -x do ?

sorry for taking so long.....

i lost my snow DVD so i cant test it but i think its working

boot from cd

when finihsed loading press F8

remove the cd and load your snow DVD

type -v and press enter

now follow the guide on first page

http://www.multiupload.com/IQ26Y7FNNX

Wolverine.

Thank you very much for doing the Boot CD. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for me. At the point at which one puts the Snow Leopard DVD in, it doesn't find it.

I had marginally more success with the 132 Boot disk that kdetech did, but when I put the Snow Leopard DVD in - it said that it couldn't find a matching mach kernel.

Now I'm starting to think that the major problem is the Snow Leopard DVD that I've got.

I was assured it was Snow Leopard 10a432 10.6 Retail version, but I've no real way of checking that for sure.

(I don't have a genuine Apple DVD to hand). I did read somewhere that there are traps Apple put in to prevent people copying these disks - but again, I don't know if that's definitely true.

I'm going to try the Flash Disk method again - but this time using a .dmg image of Snow leopard 10.6.

Gotta get to the bottom of this!

Thanks for your help so far.

I assure you, it is appreciated.

Since I appear to be getting nowhere, I tried the following site:

http://www.fleebailey33.org/2010/04/how-to...ard-on-p6t.html

I downloaded Fleebailey33's boot disk (http://www.sendspace.com/file/a9ecic) and it ACTUALLY got me to the Install DVD which then started to load.

I really thought it was going to work !

But then it stopped at the following:

SerialATAPI initial device configuration did not complete successfully. (failedCommand Info = 0x2)

Still waiting for root device

Before this it has shown that all the ACPI Tables were not found

and all of the SDST tables were not found

Helppp !!!

So you can't get a USB drive to work? As long as you format it HFS+ and change the partition map to GPT it should work for you. Obviously I haven't tried every brand of flash drive, but I don't see why it wouldn't work unless you've got a really crappy one.

It's extremely simple to get the boot up and running, my original instructions make it much more complex than it needs to be.

Try this:

1) Format the USB with DiskUtility, making sure you choose HFS+ and GPT Partition

2) Restore the Snow Leopard DVD to the USB using DiskUtility

3) Install Chameleon RC5 to the flash drive using this installation: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1542455

4) Copy over the necessary kexts and boot.plist and DSDT.aml to the Extra folder (Kexts go in Extensions). Make sure to run Kext Utility on the Extensions folder (simply drag and drop that folder onto the Kext Utility icon).

5) Plug the USB into the computer you want to put OS X on and install. When you reboot you will need to use the USB drive to boot Snow Leopard until you make an EFI partition or other boot device (I use a CF card that is always plugged in).

So you can't get a USB drive to work? As long as you format it HFS+ and change the partition map to GPT it should work for you. Obviously I haven't tried every brand of flash drive, but I don't see why it wouldn't work unless you've got a really crappy one.

It's extremely simple to get the boot up and running, my original instructions make it much more complex than it needs to be.

Try this:

1) Format the USB with DiskUtility, making sure you choose HFS+ and GPT Partition

2) Restore the Snow Leopard DVD to the USB using DiskUtility

3) Install Chameleon RC5 to the flash drive using this installation: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1542455

4) Copy over the necessary kexts and boot.plist and DSDT.aml to the Extra folder (Kexts go in Extensions). Make sure to run Kext Utility on the Extensions folder (simply drag and drop that folder onto the Kext Utility icon).

5) Plug the USB into the computer you want to put OS X on and install. When you reboot you will need to use the USB drive to boot Snow Leopard until you make an EFI partition or other boot device (I use a CF card that is always plugged in).

Many thanks for the reply tweak41.

Just to say that the installation all works until a minute or so into it when it goes into kernel panic. (Freezes - jumbled screen)

I have sent you a PM with a few more details.

There seems to be some confusion with the BIOS settings - some people suggesting only making 1 core active, enabling C-State tech etc.

So a little advice on that would be appreciated.

It's very tiring doing all these things over and over again. (I must have wasted about 10 disks trying to get a boot disk that worked).

I was prepared for some aggravation with this but it's definitely starting to wear me down (!)

I'm even thinking of installing Windows 7 so I can run OS X with VMWare.

Some of you out there have definitely got Snow Leopard working on a P6T SE with i7 930 ?

Many thanks for the reply tweak41.

Just to say that the installation all works until a minute or so into it when it goes into kernel panic. (Freezes - jumbled screen)

I have sent you a PM with a few more details.

There seems to be some confusion with the BIOS settings - some people suggesting only making 1 core active, enabling C-State tech etc.

So a little advice on that would be appreciated.

It's very tiring doing all these things over and over again. (I must have wasted about 10 disks trying to get a boot disk that worked).

I was prepared for some aggravation with this but it's definitely starting to wear me down (!)

I'm even thinking of installing Windows 7 so I can run OS X with VMWare.

Some of you out there have definitely got Snow Leopard working on a P6T SE with i7 930 ?

If you still have that osx comp you borrowed try this. Download ifabios DSDT.aml for the i7 930, the two kexts (fakesmc.kext + the combined) he recommends and the application pfix (google for it) the smbios (I´m uploading it to this post) and chameleon rc5 rev384. Connect your harddrive to it either internally or externally via USB. Format your harddrive to guid with diskutility and name it (mine I named to Macintosh). Make folder on the desktop and restore the osx dvd to it. Mount the restored osx dvd (double klick on it).

Open a Terminal window and type or cut n past into Terminal:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

Hit enter. Then type or cut n past into Terminal:

open OSInstall.mpkg

Hit enter. The install starts, make sure you install to the right harddrive (in my case Macintosh).

If the install make it all the way through you know your osx dvd was ok.

Download osx 10.6.4 comboupdate and install it to your harddrive.

Open/run chamelon install to your harddrive. In Extra on your harddrive make a folder name it Extensions paste the kexts to it. Paste the DSDT.aml, com.apple.plist and SMBIOS to Extra. Run pfix.

Swap the harddrive over to your P6T SE and boot up, if it does´nt work now even though the install went well it´s probably your videocard and you need to work out how to fix it. This should work I´ve installed with this method many times even today a couple of hours ago.

The P6T SE and the i7 930 cpu is in fact the best hackmac I´ve had and once I figured it out it also was the easiest install I´ve experienced so far.

Your com.apple.boot.plist should look something like this if you wanna run 32 bit and graphicsenabler. If you wanna use an injector etc type in GraphicsEnabler=no instead.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

</dict>

</plist

If you still have that osx comp you borrowed try this. Download ifabios DSDT.aml for the i7 930, the two kexts (fakesmc.kext + the combined) he recommends and the application pfix (google for it) the smbios (I´m uploading it to this post) and chameleon rc5 rev384. Connect your harddrive to it either internally or externally via USB. Format your harddrive to guid with diskutility and name it (mine I named to Macintosh). Make folder on the desktop and restore the osx dvd to it. Mount the restored osx dvd (double klick on it).

Open a Terminal window and type or cut n past into Terminal:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

Hit enter. Then type or cut n past into Terminal:

open OSInstall.mpkg

Hit enter. The install starts, make sure you install to the right harddrive (in my case Macintosh).

If the install make it all the way through you know your osx dvd was ok.

Download osx 10.6.4 comboupdate and install it to your harddrive.

Open/run chamelon install to your harddrive. In Extra on your harddrive make a folder name it Extensions paste the kexts to it. Paste the DSDT.aml, com.apple.plist and SMBIOS to Extra. Run pfix.

Swap the harddrive over to your P6T SE and boot up, if it does´nt work now even though the install went well it´s probably your videocard and you need to work out how to fix it. This should work I´ve installed with this method many times even today a couple of hours ago.

The P6T SE and the i7 930 cpu is in fact the best hackmac I´ve had and once I figured it out it also was the easiest install I´ve experienced so far.

Your com.apple.boot.plist should look something like this if you wanna run 32 bit and graphicsenabler. If you wanna use an injector etc type in GraphicsEnabler=no instead.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

</dict>

</plist

Thank you very much for the reply starobrno1.

First of all it's very encouraging to know that the P6T SE and i7 930 combination WILL actually work.

The only Mac's I've been able to borrow the use of up to now have been a friend's Mac Mini and a Mac ProBook.

I did try putting OS X on a Quicksilver in order to use that but it was hopeless.

My first question is how to connect a SATA hard drive via USB ? (Am I missing something here?).

Obviously, I won't be able to do it internally.

All this drive formatting etc. (including the 10.6.4 update) is being done with the SATA drive connected to the Apple OS X machine and then once everything is done this hard drive is then installed to the hack machine. Right ?

As you have your hackmac working well, may I ask you what BIOS settings you've used:

Everything on defaults except AHCI for the SATA devices ?

What about C-State C6 ? Anything else I need to know about ?

Couldn't find the smbios that you said you'd uploaded.

Your method looks quite complicated starobrno1, but if that's what it's going to take to get this going then so be it!

Thank you so much for taking the time to help out.