Asus P6T SE Retail Snow Leopard Installation Guide [FLASHDRIVE] [UPDATED JUN. 28]]

tweak41

1,279 posts in this topic

I have the Asus P6T SE mobo, i7 930 cpu, 6 gigs 1600 Corsair memory, at the moment one but I want two 7300 gs 512 mb pcie videocards (use a NVinject.kext for them I editet the NVcap in = Graphicsenabler=no in plist), two Sata DVDs. I´m planning to put in my Black Magic Intensity Pro capture card and a Maudio delta 1010 PCI card (I have drivers for it so it works with osx, it works in my old box so I don´t want to loose PCI ports) and my Saffire Pro 10 i/o firewire soundcard.

At the moment the computer works good coretemps are pretty ok highest are round 56 Celcius. Diskutility and DVD player also works even after "wake" from Screensaver, but only if I set Sleep for hardrives and computer to never and also never on the Screensaver tab (Screensaver still kicks in though?). But Adobes Flash Media Live Encoder which I use for my broadcast to justin.tv does´nt work it shuts down and it seems I can´t broadcast stereo sound (but I can play back sound ok). All the stuff I´ve listed here both hardware and software works with my old GA EP45-DS3 mobo running SL 10.6.2.

I have the latest Bios 0808

I´m greatfull for any help you can give me.

Thanks

Hi

I suggest you to don't use NVinject.kext (as Wolwerine says) and use the Graphics enabler from the bootloader...

use the new chameleon 2 RC5 latest revision (actual is the 384) I saw your GFX is supported

{ 0x10DE01DF, "GeForce 7300 GS" },

I working on a new version of the DSDT table (for a lot of Asus X58 mobo) using the features from the new bootloader with some SSDT extra table... so I'm little busy at this moment...

Last things...

I build the 3.3 DSDT for this mobo too (P6T SE) and this DSDT is "micro" so I deleted unused code...

If you find problem with this use the version M2.6 is the same as 3.3 but with all original ASUS stuff code.

Fabio

Ok thanks. Why I use the NVinject is cause it seems to work better, but then again I use the chameleon rc4 so I´ll try to rc5 and see what happends. The latest of your DSDT.aml makes my cpu 930 run cooler so in that aspect it´s really good.

Again thanks for the help.

I just can´t find that revision of cham rc5 so if anybody can point me in the right direction please do.

Thanks for the link and many thanks for the help. My computer works really good now I guess chameleon rc5 was the final key cause with the 930 DSDT.aml by ifabio and that rc5 seems it´s working pretty much like it should. Next will be to get the video cards working and prio 1 to get the Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder to work. It´s no big deal with the FMLE actually cause Quicktime Broadcaster works pretty ok in this computer and probably so why it´s so much faster than the old rig.

To give something back to the thread and to you guys that help me:

How to install if that USB flashdrive trick does´nt work for you:

Download and burn the kdetech boot 132 CD I added a link to in a previous post here.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183406

What you need is an external usb drive. Take the harddrive out of it and replace it with the one you wanna install OSX on. Then you take out all Sata cabels but the one for the DVD, put the DVD Sata cable in the Sata 1 postion on your mobo. Hook up your USB harddrive to the computer. Put the cd in your DVD and boot up and press delete to get to Bios. Set Bios to boot up from the DVD and cpu cores to only two if you have a quadcore cpu, reboot and the kdetech CD should boot.

When it´s done loading change over to the OSX disc and hit F5 to rescan, when it´s done with the rescan hopefully it show your OSX DVD. Start the install. In the end it will say it did´nt work but never mind that just reboot with the Boot CD and finnish the install. When you have it up running use the downloads/follow the info from this guide. I´m pretty sure you can go to the 10.6.4 step right away not sure though cause you might want to do it one step at a time if you want the onboard audio.

If you´re going for the 10.6.4 Use ifabios DSDT.aml and the fakesmc.kext + the other kext he recommends, the chameleon 2 rc5 384 package from here.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1532497.

There will be a leftover folder with the installation data that you can trash.

What´s more if you after endless failed installs and formats/partitions end up with a harddrive that seems broken it seems there´s no way to partition it you get a blue field of space you just can´t erase there is hope to fix that HD if it´s made after 2001.

You need the good old DOS boot disk a floppy drive and a floppy disk though and a cool program that totally wipes you HD make it like new. Any "normal" Format you can do either in Win or OSX will go this deep. I´ve managed to rescue a really old totally dead HD with this program.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/how-to-r...-hard-drive/129

I have some questions.

- Asus P6T and Asus P6T SE are nearly the same motherboard so can i use P6T SE Package to my P6T? It only changes power off button on the motherboard, SLI support and something related to sata.

- I do not have any functionally OS X but i can acces to Disk Utility and Terminal with Iatkos or ideneb, can i use this system? If i can't shoud i install a full OSX system?

- There are any kexts 100% functional to Ati HD 5850?

- I do not have any 8GB flash drive but i have 4GB flash drive. It would work?

Thanks to everybody

Thank you very much for this excellent guide, and the opportunity to setup a really fast computer running OSX (without spending the thousands on a Mac system).

I wonder if I could ask your valuable advice in setting this up.

I have aquired the following parts with a view to installing Snow Leopard:

MB: Asus P6T SE

BIOS: 0805

CPU: I7 930

RAM: 6 GB CORSAIR

VIDEO ADAPTER: ATI HD4350

HD: Barracuda SATA 250GB 7200 RPM

DVD WRITER: SONY AD-5260S

I'm not very familair with OSX, so please bear with me if some of my questions are a bit basic!

Having set the BIOS up as per Tweak41's guide, preparing the Flash drive seems fairly straight forward - putting Snow Leopard on etc.

Then it comes the part to making it bootable.

Tweak41's guide says to use "2_Boot Prep." from the Essentials folder to

install Chameleon 2 RC3 and DSDT.aml to the necessary places.

However I'm using an i7 930 CPU and Fabio recommends using the DSDT v3.3 that he patched for the i7 930. Along with Chameleon 2 RC5.

So how do I do that?

Do I install with the "2_Boot Prep." from the Essentials folder and then replace the relevent files ?

(Please give me a step by step on this !)

Or do I do this at a later stage ?

Also, because I'm using an ATI HD4350 video card, Tweak41 says to 'replace the boot file on the thumb drive with the EFI 10v3 boot file included in the essentials folder'.

Is that just a matter of swapping the files already installed by 2_Boot Prep and renaming it "boot".

(Again - if you could walk me through that I'd appreciate it).

After OSX is hopefully installed OK, there is a choice of where to install the Chameleon RC3 (or RC5) boot loader.

I want this to be as close to an official Mac as possible, so where do I install to - the System partition or the EFI partition ?

I want, hopefully, to be able to update to 10.6.4 afterwards just using the Apple updater. So whichever way helps me achieve that is the one I want to go for.

Hope you don't mind me asking all these questions.

I'm sure there are a lot of other P6T SE users out there who would appreciate your help as well.

I've spent several hours reading about kexts, DSDT's and other files that I've never encountered before, my head is spinning right now!

Thanks in ant.

@apeaux

You can use the kexts but NOT the dsdt

Install with a bootcd i think someone posted on the other page

ATI series 5 (5xxx) is now working natively (not sure check netkas.org)

@barclycon

I think you should try installing with a boot cd too

Looks like you already have cham installed just replace the boot file on your extra folder

You should install on system ppartition

Can you post what kexts and dsdt are you using?

I have some questions.

- Asus P6T and Asus P6T SE are nearly the same motherboard so can i use P6T SE Package to my P6T? It only changes power off button on the motherboard, SLI support and something related to sata.

- I do not have any functionally OS X but i can acces to Disk Utility and Terminal with Iatkos or ideneb, can i use this system? If i can't shoud i install a full OSX system?

- There are any kexts 100% functional to Ati HD 5850?

- I do not have any 8GB flash drive but i have 4GB flash drive. It would work?

Thanks to everybody

I think you might find some useful info in this thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=208724

To get just a basic retail osx install up running you can use the boot 132 cd from kdetech I spoke about earlier here.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183406

Installing to an external USB harddrive is the easiest and fastest way I think anyway. Just do it the way I say in my reply over here and it should work, then you can take it from there and finetune your install.

@Wolverine

Thanks for the reply.

I intend to use the Flash disk method outlined by tweak41 on page 1 and then, assuming that it all went OK, change the DSDT file to the one iFabio did (DSDT v3.3 i7 930) to match the processor I'm using.

And also change to Chameleon 2 RC5.

Would that work OK ?

Then presumably I can just use the Apple updater to install 10.6.4

I note that you recommend that I install the boot file to the System partition.

Trying as much as possible to get all this straight before I do the installation.

@Wolverine

Thanks for the reply.

I intend to use the Flash disk method outlined by tweak41 on page 1 and then, assuming that it all went OK, change the DSDT file to the one iFabio did (DSDT v3.3 i7 930) to match the processor I'm using.

And also change to Chameleon 2 RC5.

Would that work OK ?

Then presumably I can just use the Apple updater to install 10.6.4

I note that you recommend that I install the boot file to the System partition.

Trying as much as possible to get all this straight before I do the installation.

hi

look like all ok

remember... you need also fakesmc and a legacy for your ALC1200 (also a AppleHDA.kext binpatched 10.6.4)

and of course a jmicron.kext propose in the first post.

for the bootloader... yes chameleon 2 RC5 actual stage is the better option!

Fabio

Hi iFabio.

Thanks for chiming in.

So the basic flash installation as outlined by tweak41 would be OK. Even though I'm using i7 930 ?

What's the fakesmc all about ?

I assume the ALC1200 is to get the sound working again.

Please elaborate about AppleHDA.kext binpatched 10.6.4 and jmicron.kext.

Sorry to go on about this stuff - I'm not a seasoned OS X user.

Appreciate all the help.

Hi iFabio.

Thanks for chiming in.

So the basic flash installation as outlined by tweak41 would be OK. Even though I'm using i7 930 ?

What's the fakesmc all about ?

I assume the ALC1200 is to get the sound working again.

Please elaborate about AppleHDA.kext binpatched 10.6.4 and jmicron.kext.

Sorry to go on about this stuff - I'm not a seasoned OS X user.

Appreciate all the help.

AppleHDA.kext(10.6.4) delete the original(not patched) locate in System/Library/Extensions

FakeSMC.kext (modded for match with MacPro4,1 key) copy in Extra/Extensions

P6T-SE.kext (is a ALC1200 legacy + orangeiconfix) copy in Extra/Extensions

after this run this exellent utility kextutility by cVad

after the utility finish rebuild your caches and permission.. reboot

Fabio

Little note... with latest chameleon 2 rc5 you don't need more a smbios.plist file... so you can delete it if you have one in Extra ;)

Little note... with latest chameleon 2 rc5 you don't need more a smbios.plist file... so you can delete it if you have one in Extra :rolleyes:

After removing smbios.plist I wasn't able to boot anymore... strange. I'm using chameleon 2 rc5, of course.

Christoph

The Zotac Geforce GT 240 1Gb DD3 Pcie works out of the box with 10.6.4 and the latest fakesmc and chameleon rc5 just bought it today. Did´nt give no better video though than my good old noname Nvidia 7300 gs 512 mb Pcie, which I think is strange. This even though my 7300 gs 512 mb cards show up as only 64 mb! Fact is I even got worse resolution when I broadcast with the new card compared to the old. But it does work out of the box so...... and if you´re not broadcasting web tv like I am....... It´s a silent card too so ...... Just thought I should share.

what you have changed in extra folder ? for install ChameleonRC5.rev428.pkg.

thanks

caxio

Nothing, just run the installer, select your bootloader partition and install. When it's set up, you can remove your smbios.plist (I wouldn't delete it, just copy it in an unused folder or something).

I'm at the OS X install stage but my screens locks up!

I prepared the flash disk and did all the BIOS etc.

The installation starts but then after a short while the screen freezes.

I'm assuming that this is because I'm using an ATI video card.

I guess I should have replaced the boot file on the thumb drive with the EFI 10v3 boot file included in the essential folder - as tweak41 suggested.

Where on the thumb drive is the existing boot file that I have to replace?

Tweak41 says to MAKE SURE TO RENAME IT TO "boot" BEFORE REPLACING THE EXISTING boot FILE.

Please could you give a step by step on exactly how to do this.

Thanks in anticipation.