Asus P6T SE Retail Snow Leopard Installation Guide [FLASHDRIVE] [UPDATED JUN. 28]]

tweak41

1,279 posts in this topic

So on that site with the simple guide, there is a file that was on rapidshare.de...I can't find that anymore. Anyone have ATY_Motmot? I also put the vga into the second dvi port (btw, I'm using a dvi-vga dongle...sorry if that was the reason lol) and there isn't a change. Resolution is still at 1024x768.

Hello,

I'm trying for several days to download the file "10.6.2 Update Package.zip" but I get the following error:

the operation could not be completed.

and it possible to have a valid link to download the archive

Sorry for me bad english :o

thx you.

Hoping you guys can help... I've gotten to the point where the install hangs on the following:

Previous Shutdown Cause: 3

DSMOS has arrived

** Device in slot: SLOT--1 **

Warning - com.apple.driver.InternalModemSupport declares no kernel dependencies; using com.apple.kernel .6.0.

Running dsmos at addr 5eea9000 and offset 109b

DSMOS has arrived

dsmos: Hook and decryption contexts set!

ACPI_SMC_PLatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagemnt) timed out

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Ethernet address 48:5b:39:16:38:f8

Any ideas? I'm running 0808 bios, AHCI, HD in SATA 1, no other drives attached. Booting from USB, and using an HD-3870. Thanks!

I have 3 ideas

1) your bios is not configured correctly (i think i posted a link a few posts back)

Looks like this happened after installing snow (happened booting the system)

2)update dsdt with ifabio 3.3

You can boot with -x to fix that or with applecpupower... Disabler kext

Alright, FWIW, my problem was the HD3870 - nice card, not nice with SL. Got a 9800GTX, also a bit picky, but NVIDIA drivers package finally fixed that.

Tweak41, not sure if you're still around, but thanks much for the guide. Other than the video card, your instructions were spot on.

Alright, FWIW, my problem was the HD3870 - nice card, not nice with SL. Got a 9800GTX, also a bit picky, but NVIDIA drivers package finally fixed that.

Tweak41, not sure if you're still around, but thanks much for the guide. Other than the video card, your instructions were spot on.

Hutch - did you get your 9800GTX working in 10.6.4? I have an evga 9800GTX+ running perfectly with dual HDMI (monitor & LCD TV) but I'm stuck in 10.6.2 - each attempt to upgrade has resulted in hangs, blue screens, black screens, etc.

On that note - does anyone have suggestions for gfx cards that work well in 10.6.4 (HDMI, dual monitors, simple boot setup, etc)?

HELP PLEASE my setup is

P6T SE BIOS 808 with 6gb RAM and followed this guide precisely.

3 SATA Drives 1x1.5Tb split into 2 partions for SL and a backup and 2 raided via P6T for Win7

I am using a SSD card to boot into Chameleon to fire up the different partitions and OSX works fine along with Win 7

Ethernet, sound etc all working and upgraded to 10.6.4 as per my previous post.

Everything is fine accept when I boot my 2 OSX partitions are not mounted to the desktop, I get resource unavailable initialise messages.

I can use OSX no problems and can Finder to the drives no problem. Just the 2 message boxes and a load of UUID messages in the console such as

04/08/2010 20:09:50 fontworker[123] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

04/08/2010 20:09:24 iCal Helper[120] Unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 Resource temporarily unavailable

My com.apple.boot.plist file looks as follows.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>boot-uuid=85DCFF94-2282-3389-BB72-D74360D5BF3F rd=*uuid arch=x86_64</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

This happened with the base 10.6 installation every time I did installs (about 10 of them) to perfect my technique using the guide. I hoped it would go away with the 10.6.4 upgrade.

Just to emphasis, I am not trying to use raid for the OSX, it is on a totally separate drive and my boot priority is the USB drive SSD card in the bios to get to Chameleon boot screen, works fine. My OSX SATA shows as the 1st disk on SATA 0 with the raid boot. The other two disks are shown as a raid for windows 7.

Can anyone help me please? Thanks in advance.

Edit to my post above....

The resource messages in the popups might be related to the akasa 3.5 inch SSD / multi card reader I am using to boot the SSD from.. If I click eject on the two popups, OSX still works fine.

But still the UUID messages and no icons for the partitions on the desktop along with time machine failing ....

Hutch - did you get your 9800GTX working in 10.6.4? I have an evga 9800GTX+ running perfectly with dual HDMI (monitor & LCD TV) but I'm stuck in 10.6.2 - each attempt to upgrade has resulted in hangs, blue screens, black screens, etc.

On that note - does anyone have suggestions for gfx cards that work well in 10.6.4 (HDMI, dual monitors, simple boot setup, etc)?

I'm not dual HMDI, so I don't know if that'll cause any issues; however, I found NVIDIA Mac drivers that fixed everything for me. I found them here...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce-macos...f03-driver.html

I tried kexts, efi strings, and nothing seemed to work (but as you can see from the lack of posts, I'm a n00b). The drivers on nvidia worked, at least for my setup. Best of luck!

I'm not dual HMDI, so I don't know if that'll cause any issues; however, I found NVIDIA Mac drivers that fixed everything for me. I found them here...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce-macos...f03-driver.html

I tried kexts, efi strings, and nothing seemed to work (but as you can see from the lack of posts, I'm a n00b). The drivers on nvidia worked, at least for my setup. Best of luck!

talking about drivers check this

http://netkas.org/?p=503#comments

get glview and do a test of your system remember the numbers so you can see if you have had a improvement)

download pacifist

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/mac/12743 ( no need to buy evaluation works ok )

download mid 2010 drivers here

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1065

open pacifist drag the mid 2010 update to it …………..wait fifteen secs and then click not yet

drag MacOSXUpd10.6.4foriMacMid2010.dmg into pacifist

graphic drivers are here /System/Library/Extensions/

ati boys drag all ati drivers to desk top ( or a folder what evers neater)

nvidia boys drag all geforce files and any that say nvdan,

use b7 or any ket plug in tools to transfer em across (remember to back up your kept with osx86 tools before you begin)

after your done touch the extensions folder (osx6tools)

reboot and cross fingers toes arms legs eyes roll tounge tighten your ass

use glview to do the same test for verification of a better driver

IM NOT LIABLE FOR ANY ISSUES GENTLEMEN AND LADIES

ine noticed a 20% gain on games and more snappier feel

have fun

@paravorheim

you dont need extensions.mkext but yes you can rebuild it later if you want (i dont use it)

sorry i forgot whats your graphics card :x

the audio is easy just download this and replace on /System/Library/Extensions (need to be here dont work on /Extra/Extensions)

im uploading my /Extra folder i think it will work for you

the dsdt is for i7 920 change if you need link to post

just replace everything (boot file and Extra folder)

Hope it works

@taylorsyn

no mine is working fine (firewire i dont have esata)

@TomBuntu

do you have mnore than 1 hdd?

if so try booting with only 1

Im trying to download the audio file you mentioned. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=70857

The forum is giving me a permissions error.

talking about drivers check this

http://netkas.org/?p=503#comments

get glview and do a test of your system remember the numbers so you can see if you have had a improvement)

download pacifist

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/mac/12743 ( no need to buy evaluation works ok )

download mid 2010 drivers here

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1065

open pacifist drag the mid 2010 update to it …………..wait fifteen secs and then click not yet

drag MacOSXUpd10.6.4foriMacMid2010.dmg into pacifist

graphic drivers are here /System/Library/Extensions/

ati boys drag all ati drivers to desk top ( or a folder what evers neater)

nvidia boys drag all geforce files and any that say nvdan,

use b7 or any ket plug in tools to transfer em across (remember to back up your kept with osx86 tools before you begin)

after your done touch the extensions folder (osx6tools)

reboot and cross fingers toes arms legs eyes roll tounge tighten your ass

use glview to do the same test for verification of a better driver

IM NOT LIABLE FOR ANY ISSUES GENTLEMEN AND LADIES

ine noticed a 20% gain on games and more snappier feel

have fun

glview lists the same core features before and after I installed the files... I have the same Hardware as you. GTX 260

Every version 100% except

3.0 95%

3.1 12%

3.2 33%

3.3 0%

4.0 0%

4.1 0%

Regards,

Christoph

Safe to update to 10.6.4: See this post

*UPDATE 12/7/2009*

At the bottom you'll find instructions on how to update to 10.6.2 as well as a much improved DSDT.aml file (many thanks to Bchemist).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hello fellow P6T SE users. The goal of this guide is simple---get you up and running with a vanilla (no modifications to the system components essential to OS X like the kernel) installation. It's relatively simple, but can be a bit time consuming for a first time user.

First and foremost I literally cannot take credit for anything you find in this guide. All information, patches, and other important stuff came from other users and other places which I will attempt to document to the best of my ability. If anyone sees an error with the information provided please do not hesitate to inform me and I will do my best to correct it as soon as I can.

So, having said that let's get on our way!

Preparation

You're going to need a few things for this installation. They are:

Getting Started

Note: If you've gone into your BIOS and disabled Hyper Threading and additional cores, you can go back in and enable them. The included DSDT.aml file is already patched for 4 cores + HT.

Because the installation is going to be restored to a flash drive, the first thing you need to do is format the flash drive. Open up Disk Utility and format it using the GUID partition scheme and HFS+ file system (this is selected by default usually). Make sure to give it a name (preferably a short one that's easy to type as you'll be using it later). See screenshots below:

46568829.png

95615821.png

After you've formatted your flash drive you'll need to restore the Snow Leopard DVD to it. Insert your Snow Leopard DVD and open up Disk Utility. Here you'll select Mac OS X Install DVD from the list and click the Restore tab. Then click and drag "Mac OS X Install DVD" to the source text box and your formatted flash drive volume (here it's called Installer) to the destination text box. Uncheck Erase Destination then click Restore.

29587408.png

This process takes a while so if you've got something else to do, you might as well do it. It took about an hour for my MacBook to do.

Booting the flash drive

By now you should have your Snow Leopard DVD restored to your flash drive. The next step is to make it bootable. That's where the attached essentials come in handy. Open the folder and run "2_Boot Prep." This script installs Chameleon 2 RC3 to the drive, generates the kext cache with all of your essential kexts, and places it, com.apple.Boot.plist, smbios.plist, and DSDT.aml in the necessary places on your flash drive.

47504024.png

34015832.png

14053797.png

61288059.png

Once that's finished you're ready to boot the Snow Leopard installation!

Make sure that you drag a copy of the P6T SE Essentials folder to the thumb drive before removing from your Mac. You'll need to copy this folder to your new Snow Leopard installation in a half hour.

Note: If you use one of the newer ATI Radeon HD4xxx cards you may want to replace the boot file on the thumb drive with the EFI 10v3 boot file included in the essential folder. MAKE SURE TO RENAME IT TO "boot" BEFORE REPLACING THE EXISTING boot FILE.

Installation

I strongly encourage you to set your OS X drive as the first in the boot list in your BIOS. It makes things a lot easier.

If you've already installed OS X on any machine you'll be familiar with the setup. Apple makes it easy anyway.

Ideally you should completely power down your computer. This guide assumes that you're installing to a SATA hard drive and that you've configured it as either AHCI or RAID in your BIOS (yes, you can use RAID but not a drive or drives in an array). Turn your computer on and press the F8 key until you get a message about BBS popup. This will let you select your boot device. You want to choose the thumb drive that you prepared in the earlier steps. You should now see the Chameleon boot loader screen. Select your thumb drive (here it's Installer) and type -v and press enter. Now you'll see a wall of text and if something goes wrong it can help us pinpoint the problem. If everything goes smoothly you'll see the first of several installation screens for OS X. Make sure that you use Disk Utility to format your destination HD as HFS+ and use the GUID partition scheme! Select any languages you may want, printer drivers, etc and install. It should take about 30 minutes.

The Fun Part

So you should have OS X installed now. You're not quite finished though. When you reach the screen that asks you to reboot, do so. However you will need to make sure that you boot from your flash drive again. The retail installation does not have the necessary kexts or proper boot loader to allow you to boot straight into OS X. Using the F8 trick, boot to your flash drive but this time select your Snow Leopard installation. I recommend using the -v flag again in case there is an error or kernel panic. Knowing this information will help us troubleshoot if something goes wrong. The initial boot may take a bit longer than you'll normally see. Within a few minutes (it shouldn't take more than 5) you'll be welcomed with the introductory video. If everything worked correctly you'll also get sound! Continue setting up your user account and filling in the necessary information.

Once you have reached the desktop you'll want to copy over the P6T SE Essentials folder to the desktop.

Right now you have a choice to make regarding how your computer boots from now on. They are:

1. Boot from system partition
  2. Boot from EFI partition
  3. Boot from external medium (i.e. USB, CF, SD, etc)

System Partition

If you would like to install the Chameleon RC3 boot loader to the system partition (the main one that you see active when running your computer), open the Essentials folder and run "3_Loader." Follow the on screen prompts, making sure to type "N" when asked if you want to install to the EFI Partition.

87956180.png

EFI Partition

If you would like to install the Chameleon RC3 boot loader to the EFI partition (something used on real macs, but not hackintoshes), open the Essentials folder and run "3_Loader." Follow the on screen prompts, making sure to type "Y" when asked if you want to install to the EFI Partition.

89998027.png

80212109.png

Boot from external medium (i.e. USB, CF, SD, etc)

This is the method I prefer because of the way my system is setup. Since I have a RAID0 array that I run Windows from, I can't conveniently dual boot operating systems if my boot loader is run from a hard drive. I simply can't run it on my array, and I get errors trying to do so from the OS X hard drive. Since I had a spare CF card lying around I decided to install the boot loader to that. Doing so allowed me to set Windows as my default OS and still easily boot to OS X when I need to.

Step 1)
Format your boot medium GUID Partition Scheme. Format it as HFS+.

Step 2)
Run "External Medium Booter" from the P6T SE Essentials folder.

26397485.png

Step 3)
Configure your BIOS to boot this medium first. The P6T SE BIOS can boot from pretty much any external medium.

After you've prepared your system to boot, you're done! Enjoy OS X.

10.6.2 Update Guide

Updating to 10.6.2 is very easy and can be done in a few short steps. Please follow them carefully. Failure to do so may require you to reinstall everything.

1) Download the 10.6.2 Update Package.

2) There are a few included files you need to modify before applying the update. They are: com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist. Instructions on what to modify are in the Boot.plist.rtf and smbios.plist.rtf files (respectively).

bootc.png

smbios.png

To find your UUID for the boot.plist file and build your mkext cache, use Kext Utility (kills two birds with one stone!). Drag the Extensions folder and drop it on the Kext Utility app:

kextutil.png

Near the top you'll see the information you need to copy and paste into your boot.plist file:

kextutility.png

NOW ASSUMING YOU'VE DONE ALL OF THAT CORRECTLY...

• Click the Apple menu in the upper left hand corner and choose Software Update...
  • Show Details when it tells you updates are available.
  • Uncheck everything but the 10.6.2 update.
  • Click Install.

• When it's ready to install it will inform you that you need to restart the computer. DO NOT RESTART YET
  • Replace your existing boot files with the ones from the 10.6.2 Update Package. This is what your new boot device/drive should have:

• /boot

• /Extra/dsdt.aml

• /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist

• /Extra/smbios.plist

• /Extra/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

• /Extra/Extensions/EvOreboot.kext

• /Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext

• /Extra/Extensions/HDAEnabler.kext

• /Extra/Extensions/IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

• /Extra/Extensions/JMicronATA.kext (optional)

• /Extra/Extensions.mkext

[*] Once you've replaced the original files with these new ones, you can restart and let the 10.6.2 Update finish. Your computer should reboot running 10.6.2

Credits

This guide was my starting point. The files in the attachment have been customized from those originally in his post for a P6T SE specific install. Link: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183751

Other useful forum links:

http://lb.redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&am...Fview%3Ddetails

Credits for the ICH10R support: http://digitaldj.net/2009/09/03/ich10r-in-...d-snow-leopard/

Your guide on how to upgrade to 10.6.2 does´nt work and it also seems not all 8 gig+ USB flashdrives work to restore the SL DVD. I managed to install a somewhat working SL 10.6 with a combination of your guide and kdtechs 132 boot CD for SL and to make it boot without the CD but that´s all, this guide simply needs a rewrite.

Hi.

I need help. I had p6t se for 5 monthes and everything worked fine. But one week ago my lan was crashed and I have changed the board in my cervice center. So today I have a brand new p6t se. BUT. SL is not loading now. It stops on IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

I tried to reinstall it. But my istall disk also stops on this point... I think, that I have some new revision of p6t se. But what can I do with it? I tried other dsdt, no luck.

And does it matter on what computer I make install flashdrive?