VMware SVGA II display driver for OS X, v1.2.5

308 posts in this topic

I just tried that new patch and can confirm that automatic resolution adjustment is now working.  I am using VMware Workstation 10 on Ubuntu 13.04 x64 with OSX Mavericks guest.  Thank you very much for this fix...it's really awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

I've installed the SVGA driver and the auto fit patch, but I can't seem to get auto fit to work in VMWare Player 6.1 and Mavericks guest.  When I resize to full screen for example, it will look perfect for about 2-seconds, then will resize to the original windowed size within the fullscreen to where it looks like one screen on top of the other and the mouse cursor doesn't line up with the screen.

Anything I can try?  The advice in post #192 checks out, and I also tried the advice in post #194.  Also tried re-installing Vmware Tools, the driver, and patch, but it still does the same thing.

Has the 10.9 patch been tested in ESXi?  Specifically I'm running 5.5 and while the autofit patch seems to work, I don't seem to be getting any more sizes listed in display.

The only two sizes listed when set to "Scaled" are:

1152x864

1024x768

If I maximize my vCenter window I can get it to read 1176x885

I am running this from the vSphere client on a system with a 1920x1080 resolution.

Does this sound right?

Yes that is the documented behaviour.

I read the information about only 4:3 being supported - and that's fine - but I guess what I'm wondering is why can't I go bigger than 1176x885?  On my pre Mavericks I think I'm going something like 1400x1000 (can't remember exactly)...just know that it is bigger than I can get Mavs...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all -- I was wondering why this wasn't working...using Workstation 9.0.2 on Win7x64 host with 10.9 guest.

Then like an idiot I went to view -> autosize and "autofit guest" was not checked...ha!

Now that I selected it, everything works.  

Off topic...are there any benefits to me upgrading to either workstation 9.0.3 or 10.0.1-1379776?

I just want a stable system -- it looks like it's stable now so I don't want to mess with things.

Also I assume if I upgrade vmware I have to re-unlock it, right?

Thanks all...and much thanks to Zenith for this awesome driver.

EDIT:

Thought I might also post that I had been running this VM since 10.7...and it was using the Ensoniq driver for sound.

I removed that ensoniq kext, and added sound.virtualDev = "hdaudio" to the vmx and sound is now a million times better than it was.

Thought I might also post that I had been running this VM since 10.7...and it was using the Ensoniq driver for sound.

I removed that ensoniq kext, and added sound.virtualDev = "hdaudio" to the vmx and sound is now a million times better than it was.

Whoa!  Wait -- you're saying you have good working audio?

A few of us are struggling with that over here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/291227-osx-ml-10834-in-vmware-89-with-a-linux-host-no-audio-anyone-able-to-help/

However, it was switching from hdaudio to ensonic (sound.virtualDev = "es1371") that at least is produce *some* audio...even if it is low quality and flaky.

Perhaps you can share with us what audio driver you installed in your OSX vm?

But in first post:

2. Supports rendering with VMware's Direct3D/OpenGL backend - activate this with a Darwin boot option "-svga3d".

i only want a transparent Bar on top of screen!

That is rendering on the host not the guest, if the translucent bar is using QE/CI in OS X then it won't work as no drivers currently support it.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

I just read through all 11 pages and have yet to see which files are necessary for proper graphics resolutions.

Windows 8 x64 Pro host

Workstation 10

Mavericks 10.9

I've downloaded the latest darwin.iso package from VMWare and installed. I also downloaded all the packages in http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/Display/.

From what I've gleaned so far it sounds like the following are necessary:

guestd_patches.pkg (installed after darwin.iso official)

VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.9.pkg (only for a 10.9 guest)

What about:

VMsvga2_v1.2.3_Common_Installer.pkg (is this an older graphics driver superseded by the 10.9 package?)

VMMouse_v1.2.1_Common_Installer.pkg (mouse, obviously, but what for?)

Thanks!

For information:

The files required to provide the best graphics experience for OS X as a virtual machine under VMware are as follows:

for OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), 10.7 (Lion) and 10.8 (Mountain Lion):

VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.6-10.8.pkg

for OS X 10.9 (Mavericks):

VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.9.pkg

and to allow the guest to auto fit for all versions of OS X (10.6 - 10.9):

guestd_patches.pkg

Install VMware Tools from the latest darwin.iso before installing the graphics driver, install the guest auto fit patch last.

Please note even with the enhanced VMsvga2 graphics driver installed QE/CI are NOT supported, so applications that require graphics acceleration will not run correctly.

Thanks to Zenith432 for creating and maintaining the enhanced graphics drivers and guest patch.

Link to the files:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/Display/

Edited by MSoK
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any idea if drivers will be made that support applications like maps in 10.9 Mavericks? This is currently not supported in the current driver

There are currently no plans to extend the drivers. Zenith432 said it would be too much work.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your fast reply :thanks_speechbubble: . That _really_ helps :no: .

I never ever would have thought of this by myself. How could I be so stupid ?  :wallbash:

Genius' like you are the one that keeps communities like this alive. :thumbsdown_anim:

* Edit *

Other NOOBs like me who do not like to ask a Genius like besweeet for assistance, can find the solution there: http://www.mcvsd.org/tips/powerteacher/osx_unidentified_developers.html.

Hint: The Ignore List in your forum account settings is your friend to get rid of _helpful_ posts from certain forum members like posts from besweeet :yes:

@Zenith432: Awesome work, thanks a lot :thumbsup_anim: .

Thank you for your fast reply :thanks_speechbubble: . That really helps.

I never ever would have thought of this by myself. How could I be so stupid ?  :wallbash:

Genius' like you are the one that keeps communities like this alive. :thumbsdown_anim:

* Edit *

Other NOOBs like me who do not like to ask a Genius like besweeet for assistance, can find the solution there: http://www.mcvsd.org/tips/powerteacher/osx_unidentified_developers.html.

:o You did it! I'm surprised you didn't ask how to Google...

Seriously, people like us should hopefully encourage others to actually do their own research instead of immediately asking other people for help.

And you? What are you doing to keep this community alive?

Sorry to have to tell you this but being a noob is not an excuse for not doing your own research on simple issues. It isn't even Hackintosh specific.

Googling unidentified developer Mavericks would get you the answer much faster than posting and waiting for someone to answer.

Me? I give feedback to the community: Read my post and you see a path to the solution. Isn't providing this better than a "google it, stupid!" hint - in a forum that is made _from_ users _for_ users?

Apart from that, I DID my own search and found the solution in the meantime. I did NOT waited for someone to help, but did it by myself.

Of course, just being a Noob is not an excuse. But how could I know how specific this problem is?

I have no idea about Mac or developer stuff. Hence, asking a question for something I do not know of is not having done something wrong.

If so, you should ban all questions here, make this forum read-only and forbit any questions about :help:

BTW: Your argument googling would get you the answer much faster than posting also applies to the post of besweeet, so he is to blame as well :poster_oops:

Nuff said about his, back to topic - period.