Master Chief's P5K PRO ACPI Warfare

VegasKarma

908 posts in this topic

Well got around to reinstall snow os

but forgot what kext there works for install.on my last install i forgot to keep the files.

anybody out there who can help me out please.

i get kernel panic on every startup of snow

what i mean is can someone provide me with kext`s for p5k pro.

have you tried the kexts posted on topic #3?

have you tried the kexts posted on topic #3?

yeah but i still got panic in boot,cant remember what i did yesterday to remove it.

had to reinstall it today,and forgot backup. lol to me :)

i am new to this .but i thaught that the kext was the same for all p5k pro mb.

or correct me if i am wrong.

yeah but i still got panic in boot,cant remember what i did yesterday to remove it.

had to reinstall it today,and forgot backup. lol to me :)

i am new to this .but i thaught that the kext was the same for all p5k pro mb.

or correct me if i am wrong.

boot with -v option and check what kext is related to the KP

changed all kext´s

got it up and running again ;-) it was my boot loader witch was the biggest problem so i changed it offcause.

have system running as suppopse to.

execpt that missing sound.

any body witch can help me out here with that problem Realtek ALC883.

i was told yesterday that all i need was LegacyHDAPlatformDriver to get the sound.

but as newbie i would not know where to begin with that.i stille have a lot to learn.

Since i am a windows expert .mac is forreign country to me still,but i am getting at it nice and slow, i think.

damm that snow is woooow niiice. :)

Master, obviously "all" works without these lines, but it's for personal culture :( The code is the same for all 6 usb ports, but i don't understand: is there a way for do that I say, recall a method?

Please.. ;)

So you removed the red and orange lines now? And the ports still show up as "Built-in USB" instead of "Expansion Slot" in System Profiler?

And the USB devices should be different. It has a different address and is linked to a different GPE bit. The latter is _PRW I am talking about. In short: You either removed to much, or forgot to add something.

Also. Sometimes it is better to have duplicated code, because it may produces less AML code. That's why even even my extremely insane DSDT has some code duplication.

p.s. Calling methods can be done. Just take a look at the old 2.x versions where I used it for things like _PSS and _CST.

Here I am gain with some more info about my test with the Extr.Ins.dsdt.aml Audio works after adding to HDEF this method... with in c.a.B.p this code doesn't work:
	<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1b,0x0)</key>
  <dict>
		<key>built-in</key>
		<string>0x00</string>
		<key>layout-id</key>
		<string>0x73030000</string>
		<key>PinConfigurations</key>
		<string>0x00</string>
	</dict>

It does, but you need to use <data></data> here. Hence the Buffer (0xnn) {} code in your DSDT.

...but as newbie i would not know where to begin with that.i stille have a lot to learn. Since i am a windows expert .mac is forreign country to me still,but i am getting at it nice and slow, i think. damm that snow is woooow niiice. :D

Do yourself a favor and safe the following script as fix.sh in /Extra:

#!/bin/sh
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Snow\ Leopard/Extra/Extensions/
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Snow\ Leopard/Extra/Extensions/
sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -mkext2 /Volumes/Snow\ Leopard/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow\ Leopard/Extra/Extensions/

I am assuming that you are using: "Snow Leopard" but it can be anything of course – it also shows you how you handle spaces. After this enter: sudo chmod +x fix.sh and then you are ready to go.

Next time you remove / add a kext in /Extra... then all you need to do is enter ./fix.sh in a terminal window.

Want to know what this script does? Then enter man kextcache or whatever you are interested in.

I tried to find the fix in your DSDT v2.6 and the latest DSDT, can you give me a hint where to find the fix? Also do you think it can be applied to gigabyte motherboards

Like I said sometime earlier in this thread: It cannot be done in the DSDT. What I did was to disable the SATA port at startup, and there is no way to enable it again.

You have three options: Use a sleep script, buy a DVD player/writer that works or ignore the fact that idle sleep isn't working.

Note: I'm told that Samsung HQ is willing to look into this... if enough people complain about it.

So you removed the red and orange lines now? And the ports still show up as "Built-in USB" instead of "Expansion Slot" in System Profiler?

And the USB devices should be different. It has a different address and is linked to a different GPE bit. The latter is _PRW I am talking about. In short: You either removed to much, or forgot to add something.

Also. Sometimes it is better to have duplicated code, because it may produces less AML code. That's why even even my extremely insane DSDT has some code duplication.

p.s. Calling methods can be done. Just take a look at the old 2.x versions where I used it for things like _PSS and _CST.

It does, but you need to use <data></data> here. Hence the Buffer (0xnn) {} code in your DSDT.

Do yourself a favor and safe the following script as fix.sh in /Extra:

#!/bin/sh
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Snow\ Leopard/Extra/Extensions/
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Snow\ Leopard/Extra/Extensions/
sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -mkext2 /Volumes/Snow\ Leopard/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow\ Leopard/Extra/Extensions/

I am assuming that you are using: "Snow Leopard" but it can be anything of course – it also shows you how you handle spaces. After this enter: sudo chmod +x fix.sh and then you are ready to go.

Next time you remove / add a kext in /Extra... then all you need to do is enter ./fix.sh in a terminal window.

Want to know what this script does? Then enter man kextcache or whatever you are interested in.

the fix gave me boot trouble i could see it load the fix in -v -x mode

not really sure what the problem was.but now that i am in again it is not loading the fix.

It gives startup error "there is a error wait 5 sec" and then it boots without loading fix.

I used the kexts and latest DSDT from post #3 and everything works out of the box with Chameleon 2.0-RC4. Thanks a lot MC!

thats very funny that also took me some try`s to figure that out.

i did the same ;-)

I had some experience with installing 10.5 about a year ago, so maybe its useful for people new to this stuff to have a short guide in post #3?

Here's what I did:

- Install Chameleon on a USB-drive, together with a backup copy of the retail DVD.

- Create a folder named "Extra" on the Chameleon partition and put the DSDT and smbios files there.

- Add an "Extensions" folder and put the kexts from Chameleon (folders "10.6" and "Common") there.

- Add kexts from both packages in post #3 there ("P5K_PRO_S_L_E_Kexts.zip" and "P5K_PRO_Extra_Kexts.zip").

- Boot from USB drive, install and enjoy.

Furthermore, you can use the EFI partition on your HD to install Chameleon as well to remove the need for the USB drive to boot.

I haven't tried out the OSXRestart kext yet.

Again: great job all!

I had some experience with installing 10.5 about a year ago, so maybe its useful for people new to this stuff to have a short guide in post #3?

Here's what I did:

- Install Chameleon on a USB-drive, together with a backup copy of the retail DVD.

- Create a folder named "Extra" on the Chameleon partition and put the DSDT and smbios files there.

- Add an "Extensions" folder and put the kexts from Chameleon (folders "10.6" and "Common") there.

- Add kexts from both packages in post #3 there ("P5K_PRO_S_L_E_Kexts.zip" and "P5K_PRO_Extra_Kexts.zip").

- Boot from USB drive, install and enjoy.

Furthermore, you can use the EFI partition on your HD to install Chameleon as well to remove the need for the USB drive to boot.

I haven't tried out the OSXRestart kext yet.

Again: great job all!

what did you do to get sound on your snow

“Master Chief :D

you are tha man

i have forgot to change the dsdt.aml :wacko:

so now i have sound.along with your fix that is ;-)

tnx man you are the best,to using your time to help me out.

sincerely bossob

It does, but you need to use here. Hence the Buffer (0xnn) {} code in your DSDT.

Master, the option builtin i had inserted already in efi string and i have the SAME result that i had with the code in dsdt,

the SAME result both in system profile and in ioreg, the same, like device id and others parameters.

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1d,0x0)

device-id

AAPL,clock-id

Cg==

built-in

AA==

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1d,0x1)

device-id

AAPL,clock-id

Cg==

built-in

AA==

etc etc etc

My question was:

the method that contained these values (and the other values that you saw) which I wanted to leave in the dsdt

(the method with all values except the DEVICE-ID amended accordingly and obviously for all usb:3a36, 3a37 in efi string, obviously the device-id is not the same, etc etc etc) is possible to write it once and then call the same?!?

Simply, this was the question (sorry for my english) :rolleyes:-_-

the fix gave me boot trouble i could see it load the fix in -v -x mode not really sure what the problem was.but now that i am in again it is not loading the fix. It gives startup error "there is a error wait 5 sec" and then it boots without loading fix.

This script isn't run at boot time. You have to enter: ./fix.sh in a terminal window, and only after adding or removing a kext to/from /Extra

If you run into boot issues after you ran this little script. then the newly generated Extensions.mkext is either broken due to a missing or an included kexts in /Extra that is failing. You have to fix this by either adding the missing kext or by replacing the broken kext.

This script will only fix the file ownership(group)rights, but it won't (cannot) fix errors due to missing or broken kexts. That's your job.

I used the kexts and latest DSDT from post #3 and everything works out of the box with Chameleon 2.0-RC4. Thanks a lot MC!

You are welcome.

And you don't need OSXRestart.kext with the patched boot file – by Duvel300 – so please give it a go.

Master, the option builtin i had inserted already in efi string and i have the SAME result that i had with the code in dsdt, the SAME result both in system profile and in ioreg, the same, like device id and others parameters....

My question was:

the method that contained these values (and the other values that you saw) which I wanted to leave in the dsdt

(the method with all values except the DEVICE-ID amended accordingly and obviously for all usb:3a36, 3a37 in efi string, obviously the device-id is not the same, etc etc etc) is possible to write it once and then call the same?!?

Simply, this was the question (sorry for my english) :rolleyes:-_-

Yes of course. Just look at my DSDT's. And here's a simple example:

Device (EHCI) {
   Name (_ADR, 0x001D0007)
   Name (_PRW, Package (0x02) { 0x0D, 0x04 })
   Name (BUF0, Package (0x04) {
       "AAPL,clock-id", Buffer (One) { 0x0A },
       "device_type", Buffer (0x05) { "EHCI" }
   })

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized) {
       MCDP (Arg2, RefOf (BUF0))
       Return (BUF0)
   }
}

And now we are going to call it from UHCI like this:

Device (UHCI) {
   Name (_ADR, 0x001A0007)
   Name (_PRW, Package (0x02) { 0x0D, 0x04 })

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized) {
       MCDP (Arg2, RefOf (^^EHCI.BUF0))
       Return (^^EHCI.BUF0)
   }
}

Clear enough?

This script isn't run at boot time. You have to enter: ./fix.sh in a terminal window, and only after adding or removing a kext to/from /Extra

If you run into boot issues after you ran this little script. then the newly generated Extensions.mkext is either broken due to a missing or an included kexts in /Extra that is failing. You have to fix this by either adding the missing kext or by replacing the broken kext.

This script will only fix the file ownership(group)rights, but it won't (cannot) fix errors due to missing or broken kexts. That's your job.

okay tnx again i will lok into that.

i wish all in here a very nice christmas with your loved ones.

cant wait to eat the delicius diner tomorrow.

take care all

Dear all,

I wish you a very merry Christmas and a happy, prosperous(*) and Great Old One-free new year.

* Yeah, I know we're all doomed by recession, depression, bankers, but what's this time of year about if not hope, eh :D?

And speaking about hope... What if I tell you that I made progress and as a result of this:

1) I no longer have to load dsdt.aml

2) I no longer have to mess with dsdt.aml

3) I now have a working and visible SSDT table in IORegistryExplorer – which is a first for Asus boards!

Predictions:

1) TSSTcorp drives will no longer block idle sleep (with a factory firmware update).

2) 2010 will be the year where we – at least I will – say goodbye to FakeSMC.kext

3) A real and working EFI solution will see light.

Chief

3) I now have a working and visible SSDT table in IORegistryExplorer – which is a first for Asus boards!

Predictions:

1) TSSTcorp drives will no longer block idle sleep (with a factory firmware update).

2) 2010 will be the year where we – at least I will – say goodbye to FakeSMC.kext

Did you patched AppleEFIRuntime??? :(

PS: just this may be called... REAL

Hi to all and greetings,

I've managed to have sleep working again with the extremely insane dsdt,

I had to put back

Device (SBUS)

OperationRegion (BIOS, ...

\_SB.PCI0.SBUS.ENAB ()

OperationRegion (GPE0, SystemIO, 0x042C, 0x04)

here you are the result:

extremelyinsane_with_sleep.dsl.zip

there are my p-state and the audio patch because i have some problem with efi string generation.

What if I tell you that I made progress and as a result of this

It's just great, can't wait to test...

Dear all,

I wish you a very merry Christmas and a happy, prosperous(*) and Great Old One-free new year.

* Yeah, I know we're all doomed by recession, depression, bankers, but what's this time of year about if not hope, eh ;)?

And speaking about hope... What if I tell you that I made progress and as a result of this:

Predictions:

Chief

:):shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: :shock: :shock::shock::shock::shock: :shock:

Buon Natale Master, happy christmas from Italy!!! I love you so much, chief, so much :blush:

Hi to all and greetings,

I've managed to have sleep working again with the extremely insane dsdt,

I had to put back

Device (SBUS)

OperationRegion (BIOS, ...

\_SB.PCI0.SBUS.ENAB ()

OperationRegion (GPE0, SystemIO, 0x042C, 0x04)

here you are the result:

extremelyinsane_with_sleep.dsl.zip

there are my p-state and the audio patch because i have some problem with efi string generation.

It's just great, can't wait to test...

;)

Dear all,

* Yeah, I know we're all doomed by recession, depression, bankers, but what's this time of year about if not hope, eh :rolleyes:?

Predictions:

Chief

I'm still wondering you get around not having to use fakesmc.kext.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to MC and everyone else!

Hi all. I am currently re-installing OS X 10.6 and waiting for it to finish... and I want to use this time to also show you my new SSDT table:

DefinitionBlock ("ssdt.aml", "SSDT", 1, "MC", "POWERM", 0x00000001)
{
   External (_PSS)
   External (_PSD)
   External (_CST)

Scope (_SB)
   {
       Name (NCPU, [color="#FF0000"]0x04[/color])
       Name (PST0, [color="#FF0000"]0x4720[/color])
       Name (PST1,[color="#FF0000"] 0x071E[/color])
       Name (PST2, [color="#FF0000"]0x461C[/color])
       Name (PST3, [color="#FF0000"]0x0616[/color])
       Name (CST, Package (0x04)
       {
           0x03, 
           Package (0x04)
           {
               ResourceTemplate ()
               {
                   Register (FFixedHW, 
                       0x01,               // Bit Width
                       0x02,               // Bit Offset
                       0x0000000000000000, // Address
                       ,)
               }, 

One, 
               One, 
               0x041C
           }, 

Package (0x04)
           {
               ResourceTemplate ()
               {
                   Register (SystemIO, 
                       0x08,               // Bit Width
                       0x00,               // Bit Offset
                       [color="#FF0000"]0x0000000000000814[/color], // Address
                       ,)
               }, 

0x02, 
               One, 
               0x01F4
           }, 

Package (0x04)
           {
               ResourceTemplate ()
               {
                   Register (SystemIO, 
                       0x08,               // Bit Width
                       0x00,               // Bit Offset
                       [color="#FF0000"]0x0000000000000815[/color], // Address
                       ,)
               }, 

0x03, 
               0x55, 
               0xFA
           }
       })
       Processor (CPU1, 0x01, [color="#FF0000"]0x00000810[/color], 0x06)
       {
           Alias (PSS, _PSS)
           Alias (PSD, _PSD)
           Alias (CST, _CST)
       }

Processor (CPU2, 0x02, [color="#FF0000"]0x00000810[/color], 0x06)
       {
           Alias (PSS, _PSS)
           Alias (PSD, _PSD)
           Alias (CST, _CST)
       }

Processor (CPU3, 0x03, [color="#FF0000"]0x00000810[/color], 0x06)
       {
           Alias (PSS, _PSS)
           Alias (PSD, _PSD)
           Alias (CST, _CST)
       }

Processor (CPU4, 0x04, [color="#FF0000"]0x00000810[/color], 0x06)
       {
           Alias (PSS, _PSS)
           Alias (PSD, _PSD)
           Alias (CST, _CST)
       }
   }
}

This file is located in: /Extra/ACPI/ and is only 342 bytes. Which is only 15% of what I used to use (my dsdt.aml was 2265 bytes). And this guys & gals is only 0.0096% of the original DSDT. And I'm not even counting the CPUnPM.aml files which we also used to load. Remember?

Now note the red parts, because these are the things you have to verify and change accordantly. For now that is!

And start with NCPU which obviously represents the number of cores. Anyway. Set it to 0x02 when you have an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, or 0x08 when you have an Intel Core i7. In that case you'll also want to add a few more Processor blocks.

And there's more good news, because we are also going to change the way P-States are specified. For now you'll only use PSTn (1, 2, - 9, A) with the usual value. That is all.

But... everything you see here will not even be needed anymore... in the near future that is. Which basically means that I am writing (finishing) the first ACPI patcher and DSDT generator. And the good news is that it will be released in 2010 (soonish).

p.s. In case this all isn't clear enough; We will soon no longer need to have a DSDT – anywhere on your system – and hacking DSDT and P-States soon after that will be done for you... 'automagically'.

That my friends is my Christmas present for you... Happy Hacking!