Master Chief's P5K PRO ACPI Warfare

VegasKarma

908 posts in this topic

I'm trying to install Snow Leo on my system (Q6600, P5KR, ATI HD2600Pr) using this guide. Unfortunately, I have an issue: after reboot it freezes on a line something like: ACPI_SMC_Platform - waitForService(...AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement...). What I have to do

From a working install (Leo as well) copy NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /Volumes/SNOW LEO PARTITION/Extra/Extensions and

use this in terminal:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/SNOW LEO PARTITION/Extra/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/SNOW LEO PARTITION/Extra/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

or try to compile the dsds.dsl I posted before your post.

You need to change the ssdt table before using it with your processor

if you don't know how to do look here

I was looking for a way to enable AHCI on my motherboard to get vanilla operation of my SATA drives.

I did some research and came across this:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLangu...=1&count=54

Turns out if you flash your P5K motherboard with the P5KR BIOS, you can get AHCI for SATA! (Works for my P5KC as well)

Had to use an old version of AFUDOS to flash BIOS from DOS (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=436337)

Just a simple C:\> AFUDOS /iP5KR.ROM /n later and my BIOS was a P5KR!

This fixed my long, long bootup time and enabled vanilla AHCI SATA with your DSDT V3.2!

I had this same problem - full shutdown worked but no restart.

Anyway, I was looking for a way to enable AHCI on my motherboard to get vanilla operation of my SATA drives. Saw something about a modified BIOS in Italy4Ever's sig, but it was in Italian. Anyway, I did some research and came across this:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLangu...=1&count=54

Turns out if you flash your P5K motherboard with the P5KR BIOS, you can get AHCI for SATA! (Works for my P5KC as well)

Had to use an old version of AFUDOS to flash BIOS from DOS (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=436337)

Just a simple C:\> AFUDOS /iP5KR.ROM /n later and my BIOS was a P5KR!

This fixed my long, long bootup time, enabled AHCI SATA, and now restart works with your DSDT V3.2!

Hi, if you check my sig you can see i've done it; P5KC to P5KR but pay attention!

In the italian topic there are some important problem that could come on after the bios crossflash

First: NEVER use afudos /ip5kr.rom /pbnc /n or you mac address will be reseted and the integrated ethernet can't work anymore,I say that beacuse on other forum you could find this code /pbnc and is not good.

Second: You will lose IDE jmicron support so if you have something IDE maybe is not the best solution for you

Third: You will lose the DDR3 slots so as for above

If something gets wrong (like in my case the bios crossflash procedure wasnt' terminated correctly) you need to use a fat32 floppy with the P5KR.rom on it at boot (usb and CD were detected but nothing loaded). So keep a floppy drive at hand, and just in case note down your Attansic MAC address.

If you use the bios chip from a P5KR you could have the same problem as with /pbnc code.

Hope this help.

EDIT: if you can't like me use a windows installation to make the bootable floppy or usb for afudos you can download and burn this iso: http://www.nokytech.net/kodakey/

The solution for the jmicron problem is to use the first P5K bios released how was AHCI capable or use SATA device (i've made this choice so I'm not sure the P5K bios would work)

Have you checked the permissions?

Sure.

tried the dsdt.dsl mentioned before?

No. I just don't understand the purpose of these modifications. :)

Could you explain me the following? There are two ways to load Snow Leo. The first is using DSDT with p- and c state modifications. The second is using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. Right? So why when I boot with -v it prints like "AppleCPUPowerManagement loaded"?

Sure.

No. I just don't understand the purpose of these modifications. :(

Could you explain me the following? There are two ways to load Snow Leo. The first is using DSDT with p- and c state modifications. The second is using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. Right? So why when I boot with -v it prints like "AppleCPUPowerManagement loaded"?

The dsdt modification are in place of NullCPUPowerManagement but also to enable, AppleLPC, SpeedStep, USB, HPET and so on. So after a first look at your errors NullCPUPowerManagement could solve the problem, if not probabli the cause is already corrected in the dsdt linked, if you don't want to use the speedstep feature just use this code:

Scope (_PR)
{
	Processor (CPU0, 0x00, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	Processor (CPU1, 0x01, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	Processor (CPU2, 0x02, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	Processor (CPU3, 0x03, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
}

instead of this (that is for your CPU if it is a Q6600):

Scope (_PR)
   {
       Processor (CPU1, 0x01, 0x00000410, 0x06)
       {
           Name (_CST, Package (0x04)
           {
               0x02, 
               Package (0x04)
               {
                   ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       Register (FFixedHW, 
                           0x00,               // Bit Width
                           0x00,               // Bit Offset
                           0x0000000000000000, // Address
                           ,)
                   }, 

One, 
                   0x14, 
                   0x03E8
               }, 

Package (0x04)
               {
                   ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       Register (SystemIO, 
                           0x08,               // Bit Width
                           0x0000000000000414, // Address
                           ,)
                   }, 

0x02, 
                   0x28, 
                   0x02EE
               }, 

Package (0x04)
               {
                   ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       Register (SystemIO, 
                           0x08,               // Bit Width
                           0x0000000000000415, // Address
                           ,)
                   }, 

0x03, 
                   0x3C, 
                   0x01F4
               }
           })
           Name (_PCT, Package (0x02)
           {
               ResourceTemplate ()
               {
                   Register (FFixedHW, 
                       ,)
               }, 

ResourceTemplate ()
               {
                   Register (FFixedHW, 
                       ,)
               }
           })
           Name (_PSS, Package (0x05)
           {
               Package (0x06)
               {
                   0x0A6B, 
                   0x00015BA8, 
                   0xA0, 
                   0x0A, 
                   0x0A27, 
                   0x0A27
               }, 

Package (0x06)
               {
                   0x0960, 
                   0x00013498, 
                   0xA0, 
                   0x0A, 
                   0x0924, 
                   0x0924
               }, 

Package (0x06)
               {
                   0x0855, 
                   0x00011558, 
                   0xA0, 
                   0x0A, 
                   0x0821, 
                   0x0821
               }, 

Package (0x06)
               {
                   0x074B, 
                   0xF618, 
                   0xA0, 
                   0x0A, 
                   0x071E, 
                   0x071E
               }, 

Package (0x06)
               {
                   0x0640, 
                   0xD6D8, 
                   0xA0, 
                   0x0A, 
                   0x061B, 
                   0x061B
               }
           })
           Method (_PPC, 0, NotSerialized)
           {
               Return (Zero)
           }
       }

Maybe in my dsdt the Scope (_PR) is al little different because it's for my CPU

I think that you need something for your video card but I know nothing about ATI.

Hi! I use a DSDT v3.2 and try to bring my graphic card to work by this code, but it's still not working. What i need to change in this code except red marked lines? My card is 8800GT 1024mb with 2xDVI, if anyone can help me it will be great ;)

Device (GFX0) // Newly added device.
               {
                   Name (_ADR, Zero)
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x18)
                       {
                           "@0,compatible", 
                           Buffer (0x0B)
                           {
                               "NVDA,NVMac"
                           }, 

"@0,device_type", 
                           Buffer (0x08)
                           {
                               "display"
                           }, 

"@0,name", 
                           Buffer (0x0F)
                           {
                               "NVDA,Display-A"
                           }, 

"@1,compatible", 
                           Buffer (0x0B)
                           {
                               "NVDA,NVMac"
                           }, 

"@1,device_type", 
                           Buffer (0x08)
                           {
                               "display"
                           }, 

"@1,name", 
                           Buffer (0x0F)
                           {
                               "NVDA,Display-B"
                           }, 

"NVCAP", 
                           Buffer (0x18)
                           {
                               /* 0000 */    0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0B, 0x00, 
                               /* 0008 */    0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07, 
                               /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"NVPM", 
                           Buffer (0x1C)
                           {
                               /* 0000 */    0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                               /* 0008 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                               /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                               /* 0018 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               [color="#FF0000"]0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x20[/color]
                           }, 

"device_type", 
                           Buffer (0x0D)
                           {
                               "NVDA,Parent"
                           }, 

"model", 
                           Buffer (0x17)
                           {
                               [color="#FF0000"]"nVidia GeForce 9600 GT"[/color]
                           }, 

"rom-revision", 
                           Buffer (0x2B)
                           {
                               [color="#FF0000"]"nVidia GeForce 9600 GT OpenGL Engine"[/color]
                           }
                       }, Local0)

MCDP (Arg2, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }
               }
           }

Hi! I use a DSDT v3.2 and try to bring my graphic card to work by this code, but it's still not working. What i need to change in this code except red marked lines? My card is 8800GT 1024mb with 2xDVI, if anyone can help me it will be great :)

... see post # 512

What exactly isn't working?

Is your com.apple.Boot.plist clean of graphics (EFI) properties?

p.s. Add a signature (My Controls) because how else do we know what (bootloader for example) you are using?

Edit: I originally planned to release DSDT V3.3 tomorrow, but I won't. I fact I can't. One of the reasons is that I found some unexpected messages in my kernel.log (related to FireWire but hot-plug still works), but more importantly; I accidentally replaced my latest & greatest with a previous version from a backup... and thus I have work to do.

What exactly isn't working?

Is your com.apple.Boot.plist clean of graphics (EFI) properties?

p.s. Add a signature (My Controls) because how else do we know what (bootloader for example) you are using?

Edit: I originally planned to release DSDT V3.3 tomorrow, but I won't. I fact I can't. One of the reasons is that I found some unexpected messages in my kernel.log (related to FireWire but hot-plug still works), but more importantly; I accidentally replaced my latest & greatest with a previous version from a backup... and thus I have work to do.

I'm sorry for a poor information i gave, i added about my system into signature. And... yep i cleaned up my com.apple.Boot.plist, then i just pasted your code for a gfx into dsdt.dsl, changed a model name and 0x20 on 0x40 (i saw somewhere that 0x40 is for 1024mb). After that i replaced old dsdt.aml with a new one, reboot... and when my desktop should showing up i got a blinking indicator on my monitor - no signal or something, just don't work. I'm not a big pro in dsdt i just use your files and everything works great, and i asks how a gfx code should look like for my card. Thnx

The dsdt modification are in place of NullCPUPowerManagement but also to enable, AppleLPC, SpeedStep, USB, HPET and so on. So after a first look at your errors NullCPUPowerManagement could solve the problem, if not probabli the cause is already corrected in the dsdt linked, if you don't want to use the speedstep feature just use this code:

I think that you need something for your video card but I know nothing about ATI.

Finally, I made it works! I had to replace my HD2600 for GF9600 and install OSX again using MacLoader. I'm going to modify DSDT to run all devices. :)

I'm sorry for a poor information i gave, i added about my system into signature.

Thanks.

And... yep i cleaned up my com.apple.Boot.plist, then i just pasted your code for a gfx into dsdt.dsl, changed a model name and 0x20 on 0x40 (i saw somewhere that 0x40 is for 1024mb). After that i replaced old dsdt.aml with a new one, reboot... and when my desktop should showing up i got a blinking indicator on my monitor - no signal or something, just don't work. I'm not a big pro in dsdt i just use your files and everything works great, and i asks how a gfx code should look like for my card. Thnx

Sounds like the resolution/refresh rate isn't right. Do you have something like this in your com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1600x1200x32</string>

And did you try to plug-in the monitor in the other DVI connector? I mean since you wrote to have a Graphics card with 2xDVI. Other than that I have no idea.

And here are a few Q's for everyone:

How long is your boot time? Let's use the spinner under the Apple logo. I just did a count of fourteen here (32-bit mode and stock CPU speed) but I have another hard drive with OS X 10.6.1 installed on it which stops at 9. Now I wonder if this is related to KEXTs or the OS itself.

Anyone here using 64-bit mode because it is faster?

Thanks.

I'm using 32bit or 64bit mode with 8GB Ram without noticeable difference 1TB HD.

dsdt v.3.2 with corrected value for P5KR

kext in /E/E:

/Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext

/Extra/Extensions/LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext

/Extra/Extensions/LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext

/Extra/Extensions/OSXRestart.kext

Now I'll reboot and cout the spins :(

In 32bit mode:

13 & 1/2 spins without .mkext in /Extra

11 & 172 spins with .mkext in /Extra

In 64 bit mode:

16 spins without .mkext in /Extra

17 spins with .mkext in /Extra

and I've the following errors (only in 64bit mode):

kext submap [0xffffff7f80600000 - 0xffffff8000000000], kernel text [0xffffff8000200000 - 0xffffff8000600000]

ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 3189 goto Exit
Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 3222 goto Exit

my dsdt in post 503

I'm using 32bit or 64bit mode with 8GB Ram without noticeable difference....

Thanks. And I'll add that pushing my old Intel CPU up to 3GHZ... well that doesn't make any difference here.

My MacPro does only 2 to 4 spins – now equipped with two ultra fast Corsair SSD Performance P256 2,5" 256GB drives. Thinking about installing two smaller (read less expensive) SSD drives in my hack.

Edit: I got it down to 7 (without audio and network) and 5 on the 10.6.1 installation. I'll try removing all unused kexts from /S*/L*/Extensions now – I have 209 kexts in this directory, but there are only 105 showing up with kextstat.

Edit-2: I wrote a simple script to remove 155 kext files. The plus is that it takes less time before the spinner starts, and the drive is notably more quieter. Yet audio and networking kext loading remains a problem. What I am going to try is to remove the kext files and load them from a startup script. Let's see if that works.

Edit-3: Removing kexts isn't worth the trouble. Too much hassle for little to nothing. Fixing this huge void while the audio and network kext are loading is.

Also have a look at: /System/Library/LaunchAgents/ because there's stuff I'm sure a lot of hack users don't need:

com.apple.RemoteDesktop.plist

com.apple.RemoteUI.plist

com.apple.ReportCrash.Self.plist

com.apple.ReportCrash.plist

com.apple.ReportPanic.plist

com.apple.ScreenSharing.plist

com.apple.ServerScanner.plist

com.apple.SubmitDiagInfo.plist

No AirPort Base Station?

com.apple.AirPortBaseStationAgent.plist

Edit-4: I'll attach a script for people who know what they are doing.

A few tips: Start by making a backup of your: /System/Library/Extensions folder. Check the content of my script, to see if there's anything being removed you might need. Make sure to have some sort of secondary boot option; think second hard drive / partition, USB memory stick or at least have the original retail disc at hand. Don't complain here when things go bad for you!!!

kextcleanup.sh.zip

How long is your boot time? Let's use the spinner under the Apple logo. I just did a count of fourteen here (32-bit mode and stock CPU speed) but I have another hard drive with OS X 10.6.1 installed on it which stops at 9. Now I wonder if this is related to KEXTs or the OS itself.

Anyone here using 64-bit mode because it is faster?

Was 13 revs in 64-bit now reduced to 10 with some dsdt code compacting. P5K_VM_3.2_dsdt.dsl.zip

Let's see if I get this right: You mean with the original DSDT it was 13 revs and now only 10?

Yep the compacting took 452 lines out & 17,894 bytes.

Any bios hackers that could modify bios with the changes hacked dsdt makes would significantly reduce boot time I guess.

so kool old-skool:

i haven't seen such a nicely commented work for a long time MC

thank you for your efforts, i never found time to wrestle with ACPI but your commented examples helped me grasp the basics in a few hours

congratulations for wrestling to keep a quality thread here too (i never really figured why this place attracts people who quote a whole dang page in order to provide a monosyllabic answer)

moderators: please time-bomb this reply and feel free to delete it, i'm known for fighting spam in a different forum, just wanted to congratulate MasterChief

btw: since you asked, my hack boots after 9revs to 10.6.2 (w/ Dev Tools), 6 revs to 10.6.2 (w/o Dev Tools), after 4-5revs to 10.5.8 (w/o Dev Tools)

(asus p5q-em, intell q6600, 8GB RAM, AHCI setup (no SSDs, just traditional rotational machinery, no OCing, stock speeds all the way, OS X @ 32bit mode) )

Yep the compacting took 452 lines out & 17,894 bytes.

Any bios hackers that could modify bios with the changes hacked dsdt makes would significantly reduce boot time I guess.

Just what I thought. You lucky... :(

so kool old-skool:

i haven't seen such a nicely commented work for a long time MC

thank you for your efforts, i never found time to wrestle with ACPI but your commented examples helped me grasp the basics in a few hours

congratulations for wrestling to keep a quality thread here too (i never really figured why this place attracts people who quote a whole dang page in order to provide a monosyllabic answer)

btw: since you asked, my hack boots after 9revs to 10.6.2 (w/ Dev Tools), 6 revs to 10.6.2 (w/o Dev Tools), after 4-5revs to 10.5.8 (w/o Dev Tools) (asus p5q-em, 8GB RAM, AHCI setup (no SSDs) )

Very kind of you. Thank you :)

Seems like everyone here has a faster hack. But more importantly... what the H is going on with my drives? I already lost one SSD earlier today, and the second one is going down fast too – massive file corruption. Sure. I did reboot like a hundred times today, but whatever. F you blistering expensive Corsair Performance SSD's I want my data AND Performance. This guy is definitely going back to good old slow Intel's (refund claimed).

22 revs to 10.6.2 here, with:

- EyeTV USB dongle

- Native Instruments audio interface

- Atheros PCI wireless card (airport-detected)

- 3 internal SATA drives + SATA DVD

- Firewire and internal audio disabled from BIOS

- Belkin bluetooth interface USB dongle (apple wireless keyboard and mighty mouse wireless)

Cannot use 64 bit version since drivers for audio interface and atheros do not work properly/exist. Everything works perfectly, even under heavy CPU load. Only "issue" I have with latest DSDT is CPU speeds/voltages not being single-cpu dependent anymore (values change for all cores at the same time), and this leads to higher temps. But I've seen this has already been experienced in other posts...

Thanks again for your hard work!!

22 revs to 10.6.2 here, with:

- EyeTV USB dongle

- Native Instruments audio interface

- Atheros PCI wireless card (airport-detected)

- 3 internal SATA drives + SATA DVD

- Firewire and internal audio disabled from BIOS

- Belkin bluetooth interface USB dongle (apple wireless keyboard and mighty mouse wireless)

Cannot use 64 bit version since drivers for audio interface and atheros do not work properly/exist. Everything works perfectly, even under heavy CPU load. Only "issue" I have with latest DSDT is CPU speeds/voltages not being single-cpu dependent anymore (values change for all cores at the same time), and this leads to higher temps. But I've seen this has already been experienced in other posts...

Thanks again for your hard work!!

Thank you so much.

And what I have noticed it that the "old" CPUi is displaying other behavior than what I see when using VoodooPower! Can anyone else here confirm that please?