How many people bought intel machines after osx86 or replaced parts ?

u1m2

21 posts in this topic

I just wonder if many people bought Intel based machines (especailly 915G/954G) or replaced their parts with Intel chipsets/processors etc.. after the release of osx86, to be able to have a better osx86 experience. It could be just that you bought a particular notebook PC becasue you thought it would have better osX86 support you can mention that as well.

Also, If you bought a new wireless card, or another NIC or some sound card etc... you should post it here too. Perhaps this question has been asked before but I am just curious of the situation at hand, now. It seems like many people make hardware decisions based on osx86 compatibility because so many people ask about compatible hardware in the forums when they are upgrading or buying a new pc.

I did, after ages being loyal to AMD. My first AMD was a cute 586 at an amazing speed of 66 mhz. I bought it because it was cheaper than the 486 100 mhz Texas Instrument and I was looking for a replacement for my Intel 486 33 mhz. Things used to be simple then...

No, my main machine is an A64 3200+ super OC'd, but my second PC that I use for just whatever was already a 3ghz HT PIV with an MSI 915GM-FR in it....just worked out dandy :) I'd still rather have a real x86 mac though...if they hadn't locked down the kernel and such it may be different, but really I'd love one anyways.

I just wonder if many people bought Intel based machines (especailly 915G/954G) or replaced their parts with Intel chipsets/processors etc.. after the release of osx86, to be able to have a better osx86 experience.

I think we need to first esimate how many people are running OSx86 as their primary operating system. Given the size of the OSx86Project and the number of completed OSx86 torrent downloads, I think the number may be on the order of 10,000. I would estimate the somewhere near a third of them have bought Intel hardware to do so.

Ouch guys. Ouch.

Personally I'm not even running Windows on any machine now... But I was a Mac person before. I've still spent less then I would have on a new mac, but in time I will buy a new Mac.

I'm buying a Macbook soon. I love how it can run Windows and OS X so seemlessly. And I like that it has the iSight and Front Row. I'll hopefully buy mine at the new Apple store in New York. :)

I bought my laptop specifically because I knew it was very osx86 compatible (the "windows vista capable" sticker was an added bonus).

My first osx86 machine was a 2001-era Dell 8100 which ran it surprisingly well (still does!), but my brand new Sony laptop (VGN-T350P) was worthless so I bought me an "el cheapo" Compaq v4000 which does an amazing job with the OS.

The only reason I picked the Compaq above others was it was the cheapest, most compatible model I could find as of about two months ago. Worked out well!

My next computer? Probably a MBP (i'm getting close on the referral-thingie), but until then the Compaq does fine.

After my AMD Athlon XP 2100+ burned up. I am not joking , it actually did. Bought a new P4 Prescott MSI Board, got a P4 1.8 Ghz from one of the computers lying around. Now I am so much happier running a Mac.

You must be like retardo, should have bought a New 915 with a Celeron, but I have a GF4 Ti 4600 AGP, which my pop wasnt willing to upgrade. I have tendency to screw up my comp :).

I guess the next upgrade will be from my paycheck

After i had a Pentium 3 based machine with an 815 board, but until last year i.e JAN 2005, i thought i need to upgrade, but at that time i thought that it should be a major one (64 bit :P ),

But as there was no 64-bit version of Intel version of procesor, my choice was clear.

then i made a system with AMD64 2800+ (SSE2), with nForce3 chipset based.

But actually i liked its performance so much in Windows XP x64 edition that i was soon a fan of AMD.

But in early september 2005, i saw Mac OS X floating around, then i installed it but was disappointed to see that my system was at the low level of compatibility.

It was then i decided to go for a SSE3 based AMD(venice core system).

By that time, i had enough money to get a system with Asus SLI based motherboard and AMD64 3200= proc and a 6200 PCI-E card.

And this upgrade hardly costed me around Indian Rupee 11000(around $245 with exchange of my old AMD system i.e mobo proc and AGP card).

Now i think i made wise a decision by not going with Intel.

As intel heats up quickly than AMD nowadays.

By the way my system is Vista Compatible

Conclusion: A Happy AMD64 Mac OS X 10.4.6 user.

i have an AMD and i always like it.

but now i sold it and waiting my new INTEL parts for the max. compatible OSX box.

i'm not an Intel / AMD fun, but i'm really MAC fan and without spend a lot of money i hope to get a fully working mac os system.

I am on AMD, too. Intel has been too slow, too expensive and too hot 4me the last

years.

But I will buy me a MB pro, because I expect it to run games fast with XP. I don't care

what brand is on my CPU, as long as it is the winner. Personally I think AMD are less

gangsters than Intel but whatever :)

Gaming is the only right to exist for XP (and maybe Vista). The rest is simply lame

bloatware as we know it.

Ill buy one someday. Problem that makes them so unattractive is they are so god damn expensive. I must admit you get more for your money buying a windows box. But with more gives you more problems from windows as well. Im just chilling with OS X and Xp for right now on my windows box. Ill probably get a iMac or something and put boot camp on that {censored}.

I had a AMD system that lacked one important thing... SSE2. So I bought the cheapest dualcore system with SSE3 support. A Pentium D 805 and a Asus P5P800-SE moterboard. OS X runns great by the way and I couldn't be happier!

• 2 weeks later...

yea i was an amd fan, i had an old athlon, SLOT A with 1 GHz and it was time to buy a new one. And then i heard of osx86 and just selected osx86 compatible hardware.

if i knew that apple would release bootcamp so i could also run windows with the mac i had bought a macbook. too sad now i have a pc and have no more money for a macbook. ;)

I purchased all the parts of my machine with osx in mind:

Intel D945GTPLR (with Sigmatel 9223 audio, firewire, GMA950 all working)

Pentium D920

ATI X1800XL PCI-E (working 99% with Boris method - no dual display or system sleep tho)