I need your feedback!

24 posts in this topic

My friends and I are starting a computer business around where we live and we need your opinion. Please answer the following questions:

Question 1: Would you buy one of these cases over any other case?

http://img.clubic.com/photo/00132409.jpg

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/images/antec/p180b.jpg

Question 2: Would anything deter you from buying it?

Question 3: If you chose no for question 1, what kind of case would you want?

Question 4: Would you prefer to have the option to choose any case you'd like if you were buying a PC?

Thanks in advance! Your feedback will help out greatly.

1. I'd opt for #1. You might also consider offering a smaller form factor PC for those interested, since large boxes don't work for everyone.

2. See above. Also, what power supply wattage?

4. Maybe. As long as there were options, I'd be fine.

It would most likely have a 450W - 600W OCZ power supply. The internals will be totally customizable by the customer though. We're just trying to decide if we should give the customer the option for a case, or if we should just make them choose between a few with our logo on it.

Question 1: Would you buy one of these cases over any other case?

http://img.clubic.com/photo/00132409.jpg

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/images/antec/p180b.jpg

These are Antec P180's, I like other cases better:

Question 2: Would anything deter you from buying it?

Mainly the front door, I really dislike front doors on cases. I even took the door off of my Antec Sonatta II.

Question 3: If you chose no for question 1, what kind of case would you want?

I like the Antec P150: 11-129-166-05.JPG

It might be my next case, however I am looking at some Lian Li and SilverStone cases. I think I am really picky about cases though, because I can not find anything that is "right" and I am actually starting to think about just using a PowerMac G5 case instead.

Question 4: Would you prefer to have the option to choose any case you'd like if you were buying a PC?

Choices are good.

Yes, I agree that choices are great. I was debating with my friend about it so I thought I'd throw this post up. Lian Li cases are very nice and have great quality but the prices on them are outrageous. I just bought a new case, which I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't like, but it's what I want and it suits my needs. In my opinion, having a large variety of computer cases is just like having a lot of clothes, there's something to suit everyones lifestyle.

The newer Lian Li cases such as g50 are both cheap and fresh looking. If I had my eyes set on putting up a new computer I would definately go for one...

A hackintosh would look good with any of these cases

g50

GELI_021_1g.jpg?pID=4143&osCsid=d4c27f22504c25737e82d8c0734d33b7

or the more expensive v600

GELI_079_1g.jpg?pID=4144&osCsid=d4c27f22504c25737e82d8c0734d33b7

I have seen the antec one in real life and its huge, but with a couple of UV reactive cables, couple of LEDs and a transparent windows it will look awesome. I know i have the arlier model Antec Performance Plus 550 AMG. Also Antec cases are quality. The material and PSU are much better quality. Make sure u buy the balck one.

Also look for

Removable Mobo Tray

Sliding CD/HDD things

Transparent Side Cover ( If u like modding)

Lots of fans

Atleast a 400 W PSU

Enough space (Small is good, but then if ur like me who likes fiddling with his comp then small is cramped)

I can tell you from experience that going into the computer business is not as straight-forward as it used to be. Dell is impossible to compete with when it comes to their discounted online sales. They regularly sell an entire system (with LCD display) for under $500 shipped. In order for you to get CPU prices to compete with them, you have to buy in volume.. and even then, your margins are going to be small.

Unfortunately, the niche market that can appreciate quality components (and pay for them) is smaller than you think, because most of those users are building their own PCs using components they ordered online.

I'm pretty sure there's still good money in selling high-end home theatre PCs, or even pre-configured security PCs that interface with wireless cameras. Bottom line: don't try to compete with Dell's high-volume product lines, because it's near-impossible.

See, everybody wants a good deal. i would recommend u offer wht dell cant. More choice, more preloaded software, no waiting for the customer service retard. Also you could cater to the niche performance market. Offer PC's with cool LED, Lights and custom paintjobs. Also offer to put custom coolers on the GFX/CPU. SilenX coolers on the GFX are totally silent and look cool. Only those ppl who want a high end PC's but none of the hassle would go for these though.

You could also offer to tweak ur customers PC's for them. Disable Services, run a nice theme pack and let Tweak XP do its job

Even better give them totally compatible hackintoshes with the latest OSX release preloaded. (Make it under the table though)

Here total customisability / extra performance will help you beat Dell. Donot try to beat them on price, you just cant. Unless you are Steve Jobs

So do you think we should stick with a limited set of cases, or let the customers have a large variety of cool and different cases?

It might be helpful if you said something about who you think your customers will be and your basic marketing strategy.

Are you selling gaming rigs? Hackintoshes? Or what? I mean you need to find or define a niche market and pound it hard.

While I suppose you could make a niche just focusing on cases, I am not sure if that is what you have in mind.

Anyways, since there are literally thousands of cases to choose from, I can imagine a company that simply has a catelog of a few hunderd cases which they will put any of about three or four hardware configurations doing well.

The entry level hardware should be dirt cheap of course, whereas the customer is really getting nothing much more than the particular case they want.

Otherwise, you want to focus on selling boxes not building them.

I can tell you from experience that going into the computer business is not as straight-forward as it used to be. Dell is impossible to compete with when it comes to their discounted online sales. They regularly sell an entire system (with LCD display) for under $500 shipped. In order for you to get CPU prices to compete with them, you have to buy in volume.. and even then, your margins are going to be small.

Unfortunately, the niche market that can appreciate quality components (and pay for them) is smaller than you think, because most of those users are building their own PCs using components they ordered online.

I'm pretty sure there's still good money in selling high-end home theatre PCs, or even pre-configured security PCs that interface with wireless cameras. Bottom line: don't try to compete with Dell's high-volume product lines, because it's near-impossible.

I just checked a few prices, and I can beat Dell's pricing easily with better quality parts. We aren't really aiming for cheap PCs though, we're going for systems that will last.

I wouldn't say the majority of people here like to do self builds. I would actually say the exact opposite of that. The more advanced users are likely building their own PCs, but a lot of people here don't even know what instruction sets their processors support.

I am an advanced computer user, I have built around 5 PCs till now. The only reason i do it is because IBM doesnot sell PC's with my hardware requirement. But if you come along to do it for me for an extra 100$, you got my money. Aslong as u offer me support.

I have had 2 Mobos , 1 HDD, 1 GFX and 1 AMD going dead on Me.

The GFX Card got replaced, but after threatining to take them to the Consumer Courts and a whole lot of Phone Calls.

One Mobo was totally spoilt beyond repair due to corrosion (I live in a humid area). One Mobo got replaced after a hell of a lot of threats and phone calls.

The HDD i just threw away.

My AMD, i burnt and took pleasure in it tooo. I don wanna deal with that kinda {censored} anymore.

Thus my next PC will either be a Mac or an IBM/Lenevo/Dell with 5Yr Customer support. That is until I can pay you 100$ extra per year to make and maintain my Gaming Rig with the minimum downtime.

Tinkering is good, but after sometime, u just want a nice Rig that turns on when u press the button. I need a GF like that too :P

y0 man, I own a comp business. I would use the first case. Also check out newegg.com, I order all my parts from there. I will save you some time. If you are going to deal with windows (im not after Vista) preloaded on your systems. Make sure you find a board, and stick with it. Load a machine with all it's software, then ghost it. Ghost will save you an assload of time. If you want to use windows licences (the microsoft way) get you a crack for winlogon.exe so that you don't have to deal with registering the OS, it will save you hours of time, and just stick a valid windows copy with it. And use XP Pro if you are gonna use windows. Let the consumers pay for it. If they want to pay an outragous price for their illegal Monopolistic {censored}, then let them.

When Vista comes out, all our PCs are going to come with Ubuntu. And the price to work on windowz will go up to $80 from $50.

Here is the case that I have been using on all my machines.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...Case+%2D+Retail

Unstable Connection, I can relate to what you're saying. It's nice to have a PC that just turns on, hence why I'm starting a computer company. A gaming rig doesn't have to be tweaked with a lot as long as it's built strongly and properly the first time.

OryHara, I get all my parts from NCIX.com. They're a local store to me, and they'll price match anywhere in the world. I'm planning on buying a Premeire Partnership plan from them which will allow me to get even cheaper prices, along with better warranty, and free ground shipping (not that I would need it). I've already been using Norton Ghost, but not that much. I could use some help learning how to use it to its full potential. As for the liscenses, we are going to have to sell legal copies of XP.

OryHara, I get all my parts from NCIX.com. They're a local store to me, and they'll price match anywhere in the world. I'm planning on buying a Premeire Partnership plan from them which will allow me to get even cheaper prices, along with better warranty, and free ground shipping (not that I would need it). I've already been using Norton Ghost, but not that much. I could use some help learning how to use it to its full potential. As for the liscenses, we are going to have to sell legal copies of XP.

If your gonna do legit copies. Build 2 machines, one with home edition, the other with pro. use nLite to weed out windows update and anything else you don't want. Build your software up how you want it, tweak it, crack winlogon.exe (important). blah blah. And of course ghost them, and use those ghost images on every machine. BUT when you sell the machine, sell it with the original win install CD you bought. (Jack the price up a bit. ;) ) That way you stay legit, and you don't have to deal with a lot of windows problems. IE: Replace a board, and windows wants to activate or some {censored}.

Although I do pirate windows if they want it. And always tell the customers so. It keeps my cost, and their cost down drasticly. I have yet to see an advantage to paying for windows other than some poeple fear of getting caught. I mostly load Ubunu on the machines I sell. Unless they want windows. If they ask for a legic copy, I ask for $300. hehe.

My custom image includes, show everything, every file, no annoying tooltips, no simple file sharing, (The way XP Pro SHOULD be), no system restore, no windows updates, firewall turned on, no Internet Exploder, and turn the cache down to 1mb & Dump on exit, stripped out ALL active X ability, no outlook express, no winblows media playah (replaced with my open source one), and no prefetch.

Software on image includes: AVG, Roxio (or Nero), Firefox, Thunderbird, a help and support link that goes to our site, winrar, Spybot S&D.

When you talk warrenties, use good hardware. Give a 1yr hardware, and 1 month software. If they catch a virus, CHARGE THEM, but not full price. Lets say I charge a Dell owner $50 for repair. then ill charge my customer $40. :)

It helps tell people that they "bought {censored}" when they bought a dell.

Never put warrenties on used stuff. Someone WILL buy it anyway.

Work on Apples, and charge less for labor. :)

Learn Linux if you don't know it. Thats important. It can save your ass in bad situations. Its saved me quite a lot.

Charge MORE to work on Windows than any other system. And put it in the price list on the wall. :)

If something pisses you off real bad. Just don't support it, and tell them you don't. If you loose a customer, there are thousands more out there. Example. I don't support WMP, system restore functions, windows update, or IE. :) I have replaced IE on %98 of the machines that come in here. If I loose 2 out of 100 customers to achive a goal, then so be it.

Ive been using Linux longer than ANY other OS, and Ive gotta say, after years of looking at peoples same-ole desktops. It gets pretty damn annoying. Every lemming out there runs the same damn {censored} OS. It will get annoying to you, but keep your cool, and don't let it take you over. Use an Apple, or Linux box as your personal machine in your office so that Windows doesn't drive you nuts, and your machine will keep you sane.

That sounds great. I'm thinking I'll be doing the exact same idea. Since we are planning on having the odd customer request custom parts, how can we modify the image for it? Isn't giving pirated copies of XP pretty risky when you're including it with the PCs you are selling? Can you be held responsible if you do get caught, or can only the customer?

That sounds great. I'm thinking I'll be doing the exact same idea. Since we are planning on having the odd customer request custom parts, how can we modify the image for it? Isn't giving pirated copies of XP pretty risky when you're including it with the PCs you are selling? Can you be held responsible if you do get caught, or can only the customer?

As long as you give them a legal copy with it it doesn't matter what serial number, or crack is in the OS installed. They are the one in the same as the CD you also gave them with the machine. There is no law that requires you use the same serials as whats on the CD, as long as you 'bought' the original CD. You don't even have to put that dumb sticker on their machine unless you want to.