Deleting a kext that freezes OS X at startup

weeze

2 posts in this topic

Many kexts can or will freeze the computer at startup, e.g. when you reach the desktop. Or at all. This can be frustrating, and many times in the past, I have seen people countlessly do reinstall after reinstall so that the kext exists no more. I thought this would be a bit obvious, but I guess not. So.. without further ado:

If you need to remove a kext that makes you unable to boot up, you can do this to remove it.

1. Boot up with the argument -s (make sure your booting from your hard drive)

2. Run the following:

2a. /sbin/fsck -fy

2b. /sbin/mount -uw /

2c. cd /System/Library/Extensions

2d. rm -r kextname.kext

2e. exit (to continue booting up)

3. If exit returns you back to the prompt, run "reboot" wo/ the quotes. If reboot doesn't work, try "shutdown -h NOW" wo/ the quotes..

Good luck.

• 10 months later...

I know this is an old post but hoping some one else out there is having the issues I'm having , I've installed osx on about 30 pc's now and each one has had different issues here and there , but out of all of them the delay at start up happens way too often and I usually end up doing several reinstalls with different settings to get it to go a way but I'm getting tire of that and would like some help figuring out wHich kext I need to remove, right now I have two systems showing the same symptoms

dell inspiron e1705 - core duo 2.0ghz 3gb ram nvidia 7 go - boots to desktop then pauses for 5 minutes then is perfectly fine ( sometimes only makes it to blue screen )

dell desktop - 1.8ghz core 2 duo , 2gb ram 9800gt- same issue - after the five minutes or so the computer works great and all the devices function properly

I also have a ibm thinkcentre m51 - p4 3.2ghz ht 3gb ram nvidia 9800gt- witch runs osx with out any issues now but the first 10 installs had the same issue ,

I'm using osx 10.6.2 on all of these and could really use some help getting this damn issue to go away.

I've been looking around online and can't find much info on this every thing i search for brings me up to the blue screen of death for macs.

Things I've tried -

multiple reinstalls - keeping track of what patches and kexts are installed and hoping one combination will give me all my devices and not the delay.( not fun)

deleting preferences from just about everywhere in the system

replacing the loginwindow.app with one from a working unit

running a permissions repair on natit.kext and all other kexts

I know its not an issue with my video card or card kext because every thing is there just the way I left it the last time i shut it down just can't click on anything for about 5 minutes .

any help would be nice.