Snow Leopard on HP 6720s

smilenkovski

166 posts in this topic

hi again, guys!

i'm simply dumb about that screen brightness buttons. they are simply mapped to SCROLL and PAUSE buttons :-D

but the brightness levels are terrible =)

and the last trouble remaining - resume from sleep. the screen is black. any ideas?

thank you for advices and good luck!

upd. and the settings of touchpad (voodoops2) doesn't saves after reboot.

I've posted new thread at Genius bar about installing SL on HP 500 which is almost the same comp with HP 6720s. Guide is up to date with appropriate files in it. So, I'll keep watching on that thread more often as soon as it will be posted on the forum.

Hi juanerson. Can you explain why using voodoo wireless when native vanilla kext works fine?

Hi smilenkovski, native vanilla kext for the wifi intel 3945ABG? I dont think so. This component did never works in OS X my friend. I think, you refer to the Broadcom wifi (100% vanilla) right? Or I dont understand you man. Thanks and congratulations for the new guide.

P.D. In my humble opinion is more safe and clean for the retail system installation, to use Empire EFI (normal edition) based in the bootcd 132 method, and also its customizable (courtesy by Prasys). I dont need extract the HDD from the laptop, I mind is a unnecessary risk. Good luck to everyone.

@juanerson

O.K.

My bad

From HP 550 manual.

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection*

Broadcom 4312BG 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter.

And Yes. Prasys Empire Efi is the safest way of installing SL on Laptop. I've just updated guide with that. Thank you.

I've got two unsolved issues with my hack. First is brightness control. After installing two moded kext from this thread I've got KP on boot. Installing only Apple Frame buffer.kext I've got half working brightness control. Bad stepping and half screen dimming. I'll keep trying.

And finally I have sleep problem. Can't wake from sleep. Needs reboot. I can't recall how I was solving this situation in the past. Seems it pass long time when I was installing SL on my HP 6720s. I've tried to use modified version of sleepenabler from balckosx support files. 10.6.2. version but still not success. Any idea?

I just updated to 10.6.3. I'm writing this post from updated HP 550. I've just changed video kext id and id of wifi card and everything is OK. I'm using last juanerson dsdt.aml. Juanerson send me the file late last night. Thanks juanerson.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I have a hp 6720s and i want to put Snow Leopard on it.

Do you still have Snow Leopard on your Hp's?

How does it work? Does it work comparable to it running on a mac?

Because in VMWare it runs veryyyyyy sloow.

What does not work now in snow leopard on our 6720s? I read somewhere that it did not have fan control. Isn't it dangerous? Can't it burn the cpu without fan control?

I don't know much about the drivers and what amount of hardware control they have so it can damage my laptop.

What do you say? Is it a good choice to put it on my 6720s or is it a better one to buy a mac mini?

I am interested in the performance/usability/price points in my choice.

Thanks a lot,

Vlad

Hi guys.

I have a hp 6720s and i want to put Snow Leopard on it.

Do you still have Snow Leopard on your Hp's?

How does it work? Does it work comparable to it running on a mac?

Because in VMWare it runs veryyyyyy sloow.

What does not work now in snow leopard on our 6720s? I read somewhere that it did not have fan control. Isn't it dangerous? Can't it burn the cpu without fan control?

I don't know much about the drivers and what amount of hardware control they have so it can damage my laptop.

What do you say? Is it a good choice to put it on my 6720s or is it a better one to buy a mac mini?

I am interested in the performance/usability/price points in my choice.

Thanks a lot,

Vlad

Hi Vlad/

SL works on HP 6720s very nice. Don't worry about the fan. It will not burn your comp. We solved that problem. And yes it's good choice to put SL on HP ina way that you are getting most of that hardware. Follow these posts on info and installing guides. (HP 550 is almost the same comp)

... COMING FROM BLACKCH DSDT THREAD.

Considering All the Context DSDT-Sleep, this is a continuation from those Related posts on BlackCH thread.

I am going to explain my experience to do successful sleeping. The scenario/context in which the tests were realised, as well as to show to the results and possible recommendations/solutions, but separately in two parts on different threads: DSDT (BlackCH topic) and Sleep (here smilenkovski topic). Please note for reasons of language I cannot extend in the explanation.

SLEEP SOLUTION: compatible with 550, 6520s, 6720s, 6820s and maybe other similar models.

Good news guys, after some research and testing, I want to show you this solution which should works for the listed models above to get native sleep (without sleepenabler) in Snow Leopard 10.6.3, its not really a guide, not my own method or something jejeje, but a data summary, results and recommendations to do it possible. You can try others S.L. versions.

Please you must consider the context having present my system configuration by the following advices:

1) Vanilla system (see specs in my signature): That mean I have untouched (no mod .kexts) my /System/Library/Extensions. Of course I can boot only in 32 Bit mode (arch=i386). Also, I have just two extra extension there: VoodooHDA (Slice) and Intel82566MM (Guijin Ding), for sound and ethernet respectively. Note that both devices wakes from sleep very well.

2) My /Extra folder is attached, only one file left, the cache Extensions.mkext, that should be created (or rebuild) directly from yours own /Extra folders with the app Kext Utility 2.4.2 (cVaD). Please take a look just what you need from the smbios.plist and com.apple.boot.plist. BTW, if you don't use native speedstep, then you don't need the Legacy extension in /E/E either.

3) DSDT. The New DSDT for our laptop posted in BlackCH topic.

4) Im using the Slice bootloader (Recommended): Official information and download HERE. Alternative download in post 265 from BlackCH topic. Its a chameleon variant, very optimized for S.L... If you are tired of unexpected KPs during boot process, this is for you… Note 1: If you decide to use this "boot", then you need to put your DSDT.aml in (/) too. I mean this bootloader NOT load the DSDT from /Extra like others. Note 2: RestartFix coming by default, then we don´t need any extension or flag for restart anymore, because we have (or applied) ACPI20 structure.

Information you need to know for proper sleep, in order to keep your system "vanilla", and prevent some problems:

1) Be sure to erase SleepEnabler.kext (if you have it in /E/E or /S/L/E). Then rebuild your cache (with kextutility 2.4.2).

2) Be sure you have vanilla (untouched) IOPCIFamily.kext (/S/L/E) (Attached). More information HERE.

3) Be sure you have vanilla graphics drivers (attached) or at least the one mod for my friend smilenkovski (just ID mod). Also see second final consideration.

4) AppleACPIThermal.kext: Into the Extra.zip attached. Its Confirmed this "necessary extension" prevent sleep, reported in various forums.

Description: Fan control and thermal zones IOReg entries. Replacement of the same prior extension in the vanilla folder /S/L/E. BTW, only works in 32 Bit. Courtesy: Prasys. Please use it because have corrected dependencies. Its necessary for prevent higher temperatures. Also see second final consideration.

So, the partially solution (Terminal is your friend):

You can unload it and reload the .kext before and after you desire to go to sleep. I keep permanently open a Terminal window for use the command lines, type these two:

For Unload (before sleep):

$ sudo kextunload /Extra/Extensions/AppleACPIThermal.kext (hit Enter) -- (your password) --- Enter.

See in IORegistryExplorer thermalzones are gone! Fan is almost OFF (but temps no so bad in AC). Then go to Sleep.

For Reload (after wake from Sleep):

$ sudo kextload /Extra/Extensions/AppleACPIThermal.kext (Enter again) --- Pass --- Enter.

ThermalZones come back... and fan is ON again.

Sorry, It is not elegant method, but I don´t know how do it with SleepWatcher. Please remember we can use the IORegistryExplorer.app for check the ThermalZone section, see second final consideration.

Final Considerations - Tips:

1) Specially I recommend this topic, courtesy of Andy Vandijck, for set the hibernate mode to zero (0). The best mode I think, and recovery space in your HDD.

2) This Complementary information.

3) Sleep working manually from the menu and power button. Also, closing the Lid. And by pressing FN + F5.

4) Autosleep is not working, you can see about this common issue HERE.

5) So in my Energy Saver Preferences I have PC Sleep Set both (AC and Battery) to Never. The rest of values are irrelevant for sleep purposes if we do it manually, while autosleep will be complemented for any voluntary here, I hope.

Good Luck, and please comments. Bye.

EDIT MAY 03: The Recommended Solution for AppleACPIThermal.kext (SleepWatcher is your best friend):

Thanks to the Master BlackCH, now attached the SleepWatcher Im using with all you need, for easy way to do sleep and wake without terminal user intervention. In my custom files folder are instructions and the prepared daemons. Im really really really happy with my Hackbook... sleep working great!. Note: Not autosleep yet.

EDIT MAY 04: Autosleep is Working!... thanks to yushir for his comment and reference. Please follow this post.

IMPORTANT ADVICE FOR GRAPHICS PROBLEMS AFTER WAKE: PLEASE KEEP ATTENTION ON BLACKCH THREAD, BECAUSE WE ARE SEARCHING AND TESTING. PLEASE GUYS, WE NEEDED OF YOURS CONSTANT CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE DISCUSSION ABOUT THAT COMMON ISSUE, TO FIND TOGETHER A SOLUTION. THANKS.

EDIT MAY 13: Please guys download for use it the individual attached AppleACPIThermal.kext (/Extra/Extensions), its from BlackCH HP6720s_SLPack with correct dependencies... then please don´t forget rebuilt the cache Extensions.mkext, by dropping the /Extra/Extensions folder to the kextutility icon (or alias). I have to comment, after some days testing, that this one works (unload/load) better than prasys´s variant... also Im suspecting that prasys´s extension its malformed, you can see (-v) the booting message on 64 bit attempts... and I think this result to a deficient load (or reload) with sleepwatcher 2.1, even from terminal... and even showing in IOReg the thermalzones loaded.

Therefore, for sleepwatcher implementation, please its necessary to follow the instructions correctly from ReadMe.rtf and optionally from my Easy_instructions.rtf (my_custom_files folder), because in both documents says expressly YOU NEED TO DO EVERYTHING RELATED TO SLEEPWATCHER 2.1, LIKE KILL THE PROCESS (PREVIOUS VERSIONS INSTALLED), INSTALLATION AND DAEMONS COPY (NEW USERS AND UPGRADE) DO IT "FROM TERMINAL". ITS THE ONLY RIGHT WAY, AND THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS SUDO (ALWAYS)... THIS COMMAND TO ENABLE SUPERUSER (ROOT)... FOR PREVENT OWNERSHIP PROBLEMS, LIKE PERMISSIONS ERRORS. I hope this helps.

AppleIntelGMAX3100_1063v11.zip

Extra.zip

IOPCIFamily.kext_1063v11.zip

sleepwatcher_2.1.zip

AppleACPIThermal.kext.zip

... COMING FROM BLACKCH DSDT THREAD.

Considering All the Context DSDT-Sleep, this is a continuation from those Related posts on BlackCH thread, so please read them.

I am going to explain my experience to do successful sleeping. The scenario/context in which the tests were realised, as well as to show to the results and possible recommendations/solutions, but separately in two parts on different threads: DSDT (BlackCH topic) and Sleep (here smilenkovski topic). Please note for reasons of language I cannot extend in the explanation.

SLEEP SOLUTION: compatible with 550, 6520s, 6720s, 6820s and maybe other similar models.

REDACTION IN PROGRESS.

Wow.That is something juanerson.

Just to clarify. Now we have clean and documented dsdt written from scratch with included all known fixes for this computers (HP 550, 6720s, 6820s and eventually some others. Sleep issue is in progress and solution might be very soon. Or it is already there?

Now we need a testers with various computers with a proper feedback.

So guys, PLEASE, give a chance to a new dsdt from juanerson and test and post the results back.

If this works like it should I will rewrite the guide in english using juanerson help and we will have an ultimate hackintosh guide for these generation of HP computers. Thanks to juanerson , of course, and blackch for starting and continuously helping to develop the dsdt.

Juanerson, my friend thank you for your hard work. I think it is time for you to open Pay pal account to give us a chance to donate some beer money to you.