Snow Leopard on HP 6720s

smilenkovski

166 posts in this topic

copy from my inbox

Hello,

i'm trying to do everything from your tutorial, but i have a problem with step 3.

Can you tell me step by step what to do..

Inside this pack from blackch are four folders. I need to copy everything to SNOW HDD ? Or dsdt.aml file only ?

Next i have a problem with this kext maker. Which Extension folder i need to drag on the icon of mkextmaker? You mean extension folder from this pack from blackch, from snow hdd from extra or from the folder in system library folder.

really i don't understand that, so i need your help.

and this file ioatafamily.kext. after remove i need to copy that file from which location?from pack from blackch ? from snow leopard dvd ?

Thanks for your help

I copied your message from my Inbox because someone else has similar problem understanding my guide.

Step 3

Yes, there are several folder in blackch file. It should be copied in appropriate folders on your snow hdd. Some of them should be copied after installing SL using kexhtelper (the one for System/Library..)

You should drag the extensions folder from snow hdd (Extra/Extensions/)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've just started playing around with my HP 6720s on SL and I'm having a few problems. If anyone could help I'd be most grateful.

I tried to follow this guide but I hit a problem when installing SL to the hard drive as my "Mac" is an old iBook G4! So, I started following this guide - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183751 - but using the kexts and dsdt.aml from here.

I've managed to get SL installed with almost everything working but I'm having trouble with networking as there aren't any devices found besides Bluetooth! I haven't followed steps 3, 4 or 5 yet. Are these part of the install of the networking?

I'd like to see what I've got installed on the Chameleon EFI partition, is there a way to mount it and see what kexts have been used?

Again, any help would be most appreciated.

Hi!

Network (lan and wifi) should work out of the box with Snow Leopard native kexts.

I'm not sure that you can mount efi partition. You should use blackosx method for installing SL if you want to change kexts in Extensions folder later, as far as I know.

• 2 months later...
O.K.

Now you can try with my gma files. Download and install with kextutility, just drag to the kextutility icon and wait. Reboot.

You can find files here

What's the id of your video card? My id is 2a12...

Another question:

in the extra folder i have to put smbios,dsdt.aml and all the Extra/extensions folder in the pack of blackch?

Thanks, i'm going crazy with this laptop...

What's the id of your video card? My id is 2a12...

Another question:

in the extra folder i have to put smbios,dsdt.aml and all the Extra/extensions folder in the pack of blackch?

Thanks, i'm going crazy with this laptop...

Hi!

In fact that is very good laptop for hacking. Yes, my video card is 2a12. And yes, you can put all kexts from blackch's appropriate folders.

What kind of problem you have installing OSX?

Hi!

In fact that is very good laptop for hacking. Yes, my video card is 2a12. And yes, you can put all kexts from blackch's appropriate folders.

What kind of problem you have installing OSX?

Ok i've reached desktop. Can someone post his video car kexts (id 2a12)? Thanks a lot!

Sorry, my id is 2a12, your is 2a02... i've modified the original kexts and now i've full resolution, but no QE/CI... QE/CI works for you?

I'm not sure that QE/CI from Leopard is issue with Snow Leopard. The only sign that everything is O.K. with your graphic is if the dock background is transparent.

P.S.

Sorry for sending you not edited kexts. I just found them on the desktop.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I'm from Spain and I apologize first.

I made her step by step guide (thank you very much in advance) and when performing step 4, in particular when I opened the program kextutility left me a gray screen saying I had to press the off button and restart. Then I get a kernel panic (VooodooHDA,..... not detected PCI device) more or less.

I think I do not understand step 4 or what I'm doing wrong because when I put the (2) and (3) line in the terminal I noticed that putting something like .... "file or directory does not exist". Then I noticed that the other lines contained errors.

1)sudo -s

(2)cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext \ ~/Desktop/(??????????)

(3)cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext \ ~/Desktop/(????????)

(4)touch (???????????) /System/Library/Extensions

Can indicate whether I'm doing wrong or where you put ~ /Desktop/ should be replaced by something? . If the lines must be put as shown in the directory on my computer error in the terminal leaves.

I wait your reply as soon as possible since the installation I left halfway.

Thanks very much for all.

Hi JLINSANELYMAC

O.K. I know that step 4 is a bit confusing. Download my video kexts from this link it should work. Use kextutility.

P.S.

I should rewrite the guide but I'm busy these days.

Hi! Smilenkovski.

Thanks for you work. I´ll try this but if i have a kernel panic, What I do? (I make the step 1 to 3 three times because i have kernel panic when i make the 4 step). Thanks.

Hi! Smilenkovski.

Thanks for you work. I´ll try this but if i have a kernel panic, What I do? (I make the step 1 to 3 three times because i have kernel panic when i make the 4 step). Thanks.

Actually I dont understand in which step you have problem. Can you boot HP after installing Chameleon? Are you using arch=i386 to start Snow leo or what? Be more precise and don't worry we'll instal SL.

Hi, smilenkovski:

This morning I returned to perform all steps (1,2 and 3) from the beginning, in Step 4 to bootstrap with arch = i386 and it does well, then I turned off the pc, this afternoon I just start the same way (with arch = i386) and has kernel panic:

"panic (cpu 0 caller 0x558993): Unable to find driver for this platform: \ "ACPI \". \ n "@ / SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/ IOKit / kernerl / IOPlatformExpert.cpp: 1389 "Debugger called: <panic>.

what can I do? Do I need to perform the steps from the beginning?. Many thanks for your work.

Hello smilenkovski:

These are the characteristics of my PC if that is in dsdt.aml file Blackchair was the problem of kernel panics (by the way, this file must be in the root directory of Extra only or in the root of the hard disk of Snow or the two???).

Motherboard:

Tipo de CPU Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T5670, 1780 MHz (9 x 198)

Nombre del motherboard Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq 6720s

Chipset del motherboard Intel Crestline GME965

Memoria del sistema 2038 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)

DIMM3: Samsung M4 70T5663QZ3-CE6 2 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)

Tipo de BIOS Compaq (01/10/08)

Monitor:

Placa de video Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family (448 MB)

Gráficos/Pantallas:

Pantalla:

Tipo: Pantalla

Bus: Integrado

VRAM (total): 64 MB de memoria de sistema compartida

Fabricante: Intel (0x8086)

ID del dispositivo: 0x2a12

ID de la revisión: 0x000c

Información de la extensión del kernel: Ninguna extensión de kernel (kext) cargada

Aceleradora 3D Intel GMA X3100

Monitor Samsung 154AT07-H01 [15.4" LCD]

Multimedia:

Placa de sonido Analog Devices AD1981HD @ Intel 82801HBM ICH8M - High Definition Audio Controller

Almacenamiento:

Controlador IDE Intel® 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller

Controlador IDE Intel® ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2850

Controlador de almacenamiento Iniciador iSCSI de Microsoft

Disco rígido ST9160827AS (160 GB, 5400 RPM, SATA-II)

Disco óptico HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20L ATA Device (DVD+R9:4x, DVD-R9:4x, DVD+RW:8x/8x, DVD-RW:8x/6x, DVD-RAM:5x, DVD-ROM:8x, CD:24x/24x/24x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)

Red:

Placa de red Dispositivo Bluetooth (Red de área personal)

Placa de red Intel® 82562GT 10/100 Network Connection

Placa de red Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Módem Agere Systems HDA Modem

Módem Módem estándar con vínculo Bluetooth.

Thanks for all and I look forward to your answers

Hi everyone,

i was wondering if any of you can off me any assistance in installing Snow Leopard on my 6720s.

I have followed the instruction 5 times now and been careful in doing so becasue i must be missing something!!

once i put the hdd back in the laptop and boot with arch=i386, i get a kernel panic saying there is something wrong with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment, iv made sure the DSDT.aml is in the root and the IOATAFamily.kext is replaced in the System>Libary>Extensions

can any one please please help?

Hi everyone,

i was wondering if any of you can off me any assistance in installing Snow Leopard on my 6720s.

I have followed the instruction 5 times now and been careful in doing so becasue i must be missing something!!

once i put the hdd back in the laptop and boot with arch=i386, i get a kernel panic saying there is something wrong with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment, iv made sure the DSDT.aml is in the root and the IOATAFamily.kext is replaced in the System>Libary>Extensions

Hi!

Put the file dsdt.aml into Extra folder in root of Snow HDD and tell us (I suppose that all the files of blackch are copy to the appropiate folders and extensions.mkext is in Extra folder too. Bye

Hi JLINSANELYMAC

O.K. I know that step 4 is a bit confusing. Download my video kexts from this link it should work. Use kextutility.

P.S.

I should rewrite the guide but I'm busy these days.

Hi, smilenkovski!

I install video kexts with kextutility and any problem; but when I reboot pc I have a kernel panic (the same that the post #42). I have installed video kexts in the step 4 after boot with arch=i386, settings, etc... when I saw the desktop. Any solution???. Thanks.

at phongxu

I just saw the specs on your comp and seems to me that you can install Snow L on it. But you must make your own dsdt.aml file. You can see blackosx thread on that.

at JLINSANELYMAC

As I understand you You have successfully booted your comp with arch=i386 and after installing kext you have Kernel panic. Can you reboot normally without installing video kexts?

Try Boot with arch=i386 -v

Hi everyone,

Remove IOATAFamily.kext.

at JLINSANELYMAC

As I understand you You have successfully booted your comp with arch=i386 and after installing kext you have Kernel panic. Can you reboot normally without installing video kexts?

Try Boot with arch=i386 -v

Remove IOATAFamily.kext.

Hello smilenkovski:

Let me explain: performs the first three steps (1,2 and 3). I start with step 4 with arch = i386 and does it well. I do anything now and when I restart and boot with arch=i386 again appear the kernel panic (see post # 42).

I repeat again the first three steps (1,2 and 3). I start with step 4 with arch = i386 and desktop appears well. I install your kext video (file Archive.zip) with kextutility, it does well. I boot again with arch=i386 and re-appear the kernel panic (same as above). This was the last thing I did yesterday. Can be the dsdt.aml?.

The characteristics of my pc are listed in post # 43. Is it the same as yours?. Thank you very much for everything.

Hi smilenkovski:

This morning I boot with arch=i386-v and I have the same panic kernel; but when i boot with arch=i386-x -f I obtein the desktop normally (not with the good resolution). And now ??. Thanks

Maybe you should try non modified video kexts. Download this version from here and use kextutility to install...