22 posts in this topic

AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.4Ghz

ASRock M3A780GXH/128M Socket AM3 Motherboard

AMD 780G North Bridge

AMD SB710 South Bridge

4GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB GDDR5

SATA DVD burner & HDDs

Had to change my SATA to AHCI, and add "busratio=17" to my startup options.

Installed with Voodoo 9.5 Kernel.

Needed the Seatbelt fix.

I had to search around for LAN, Sound and Video drivers. I've got some of the pages for these drivers bookmarked in Windows, so I'll have to edit this post later with links.

*EDIT*

here's where i found drivers for my 4890:

http://forum.hardmac.com/index.php?showtopic=6384

Setup seems to be working 100% and stable. Haven't had any crashes, everything seems to be working correctly including my 4890. Have my resolution set at 1920x1080, works great.

• 4 weeks later...

AMD 780G North Bridge

AMD SB710 South Bridge

SATA DVD burner & HDDs

Needed the Seatbelt fix.

I had to search around for LAN, Sound and Video drivers. I've got some of the pages for these drivers bookmarked in Windows, so I'll have to edit this post later with links.

*EDIT*

Setup seems to be working 100% and stable. Haven't had any crashes, everything seems to be working correctly including my 4890. Have my resolution set at 1920x1080, works great.

I'm thinking of building something similar to this. Is this still working 100% for you?

Also, what distro of OSX are you using? Vanilla or something else?

Sorry for the late reply. Wasn't really watching this thread anymore until someone PM'd me about it.

Setup is still working. Wouldn't say it's 100% since breakpoints don't work in Xcode with Voodoo 9.5 :) They still work if i'm developing for the iPhone on the device instead of simulator. Other than that it's working well. I did have one issue for a little while where I had the Mail app set to start at login. For some reason it was causing a kernel panic. Perhaps my LAN hadn't connected by the time Mail started? I also have to use bootratio=17 (my CPU multiplier) bootflag.

Those are the only problems I've had. If you need help setting this up, PM me your MSN or XMPP and I'll help you over IM.

EDIT: Btw, i used iDeneb OSX Version 10.5.7 (Voodoo 9.5 Kernel)

Oh, and I actually have a triple boot set up. (Windows 7, Ubuntu 9.04, OSX 10.5.7)

Thanks, Combat. This seems like it might be a line on the cheapest way to get a fully working quad-core Hackintosh (I would get the cheapest Phenom X4 and overclock it). I was thinking about getting a Core i5 and matching MB, and I am sure that would be better and faster, but it's also more dough. I generally buy AMD because it's cheaper. If this is pretty reliable I am quite interested. I would be dual booting Windows 7 and MacOS as well. If I do do this and get it working I am interested in putting up a full-on tutorial about it. I would love to nail down the cheapest solution for a quad-core Hackintosh.

Well honestly you're better off going intel. The AMD works, but you DO have debugging issues with XCode on the Voodoo 9.5 Kernel. the Intel CPUs can run a Vanilla kernel, which obviously is way better. Definitely look into the cheapest INTEL solution first, then compare to what it would cost for an AMD system. THEN decide which route you want to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AMD 780G North Bridge

AMD SB710 South Bridge

SATA DVD burner & HDDs

Needed the Seatbelt fix.

*EDIT*

I have the same processor as you but I cannot boot the iDeneb CD because of the kernel panic , I also changed the SATA to AHCI and I used bootratio=17 =/

EDIT: Used now "cpus=1 busratio=17" but now I want to use my 4 Cores ...

I think my PC is not really good for Leopard becuase I have an AMD Phenom X4 II 965 and with my HD 5870 =/ but I don't know why I get the Kernel Panic when I boot without the "cpus=1" flag.

the 5870 will probably be difficult to get working. i have the same processor and don't need the cpus=1 flag.

What settings did you choose to install iDeneb?

Do you mean what drivers i used? I don't remember all the drivers, but i used Voodoo 9.5 kernel, seatbelt fix, and i don't remember what all else. Just read the descriptions for all of them and you should be able to figure out if you need it or not.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Used now "cpus=1 busratio=17" but now I want to use my 4 Cores ...

I've got similar problem, I've installed iDeneb 1.6 10.5.8 with Vodoo 9.5.0 and it works well, but in System Profiler appear AMD Phenom II X4 810 Processor but total numer of cores = 1

how can I use all my 4 cores? Have I to try another kernel?

thank you

• 8 months later...

AMD 780G North Bridge

AMD SB710 South Bridge

SATA DVD burner & HDDs

Needed the Seatbelt fix.

*EDIT*

What Distro did you use and or kext (links too please) PM me if you can.