Kubuntu 6.06 LTS (dapper) Out Today

johnniecarcinogen

35 posts in this topic

Here ya go ;)

13cg.th.jpg

Install xawtv and set the "Capture" mode to "grabdisplay". Contributed by xplode_me from compiz.net. You'll also find the Xawtv captures way better than Tvtime. The config might be a little tricky at first, but you'll get used to it. Only took me 5 minutes to get used to it.

Nice, Thanks! I had to create the config file but it works.

hehe, yea. I got twisted with the config file too. I dont see a search channel thingy. I'd hate to have more than 100 channels to watch ;)

1. open terminal

2. go to /ect

3. type: "sudo gedit modprobe.conf"

4. add this line: "options bttv card=?? tuner=?"

5. save in /ect

6. should work from the next restart

try a 'scantv' in the terminal.

I'm good on the modprobe, udev got my card correctly.

EDIT: actually the scantv didnt save, so I copy/pasted a .xawtv config with all channels and used the channel editor to delete the ones I don't use. I also added the 'filter=linear blend' deinterlacer to it.

The thing I liked about tvtime was the xmltv OSD stuff.

Yea, I did the manual thing to 30 stations last night. The tough part is fine tuning all 30 channels :D.

I also added the 'filter=linear blend' deinterlacer to it.

Nice!.. I'd be happy if you get it set correctly and paste your config file :poster_oops: The OSD thing isn't really a problem. I'd rather stay in XGL than have a better looking OSD. I have having to log out and log in. But under SuSE, you can just turn off the eye candy right?

Yea, I did the manual thing to 30 stations last night. The tough part is fine tuning all 30 channels :D .

Nice!.. I'd be happy if you get it set correctly and paste your config file :poster_oops: The OSD thing isn't really a problem. I'd rather stay in XGL than have a better looking OSD. I have having to log out and log in. But under SuSE, you can just turn off the eye candy right?

sure, my ~/.xawtv:

[global]
ratio = 4:3
freqtab = us-cable
pixsize = 128 x 96
pixcols = 1
jpeg-quality = 75
keypad-ntsc = no
keypad-partial = yes
osd = yes
osd-position = 30 , 20
use-wm-fullscreen = yes
filter=linear blend

# [Station name]
# capture = overlay | grabdisplay | on | off
# input = Television | Composite1 | S-Video | ...
# norm = PAL | NTSC | SECAM | ... 
# channel = #
# fine = # (-128..+127)
# key = keysym | modifier+keysym
# color = #
# bright = #
# hue = #
# contrast = #

[defaults]
group = main
norm = NTSC-M
input = Television
capture = grab
color = 50%
bright = 50%
hue = 50%
contrast = 25%

[CH2 2]
channel = 2

[CH3 3]
channel = 3

The line goes under the global part, if you want to try it out first, start xawtv from the terminal with the line:

xawtv -c /dev/video0 -remote -global:filter "linear blend"

I got this from here.

Thanks. I went to the site also. I added the xawtv -c /dev/video0 -remote -global:filter to the Launch Panel link to save myself from typing the whole command. The oly problem now is that the "Stereo" doesn't stick when you choose it. I goes back to momo after restarting.

I also outputted the channel scan to a different file name.It helped setting the channels a bit. Fine tuning is a biotch....

Does it crash if you have the tuner on full screen and also have mplayer or the like playing full screen also? When I try it, it kicks me out to GDM.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's something some folks cooked up over at compiz.net. I know you MS haters out there.. SHHH... I just wanted to try it. It would be nice if MS cooked up something like this for Windows.

1wr6.th.jpg