Kubuntu 6.06 LTS (dapper) Out Today

johnniecarcinogen

35 posts in this topic

I've tried kubuntu pre-release. It's becoming quite good, but I had trouble configuring my GPU. the live cd did not came with ATI official drivers :P. The main problem I had was the lack of gcc/g++ or any developement tool on this distro. As I only have an internet acces on my office computer, I could not use apt-get to solve this issue.

Otherwise, KDE is quite beautifull, the provided software too, although they could have bundled the gimp and inkscape. And pr-releases of Amarok could not play aac.

I've tried kubuntu pre-release. It's becoming quite good, but I had trouble configuring my GPU. the live cd did not came with ATI official drivers :( . The main problem I had was the lack of gcc/g++ or any developement tool on this distro. As I only have an internet acces on my office computer, I could not use apt-get to solve this issue.

Otherwise, KDE is quite beautifull, the provided software too, although they could have bundled the gimp and inkscape. And pr-releases of Amarok could not play aac.

I used this guide here: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Da...tallation_Guide for the ATI drivers. My tvcard is recognized by udev correctly this time (warty and breezy didn't) and the kubuntu desktop is now polished and doesn't seem to be just an afterthought to ubuntu. I guess since owner Mark Shuttleworth now supports KDE, kubuntu will continue to improve.

It even installed swiftfox, which is firefox optimized for your particular processor.

Thanks for this tip. I don't know these builds earlier. Swiftfox is really fast on my SUSE 10.1 x64

It's there any easySUSE :) or Automatic for SUSE?

Yup, I already installed this babe (Ubuntu to be precise... you know, the GNOME siblings). There's quite alot that changes on the backoffice. The 'cosmetics' on the front doesn't change that much. It's just that we now have almost-native support for XGL/Compiz (there's still workarounds for this though).

Currently aptitude-ing kde-desktop to accompany my GNOME ;)

• 3 weeks later...

few quick questions:

1. when i make a new partition, should i make it FAT32 or NTFS?

2. during the install, will it also set up an OS selector so that i can restart my comp and then select XP or Kubuntu?

everything else i'll figure out like drivers for my graphics card and all that.

thank, Niveck

few quick questions:

1. when i make a new partition, should i make it FAT32 or NTFS?

2. during the install, will it also set up an OS selector so that i can restart my comp and then select XP or Kubuntu?

everything else i'll figure out like drivers for my graphics card and all that.

thank, Niveck

1. For linux you should make at least 2 partitions. Usually a smaller 1 gig or so 'swap' (mounted as swap) and a 'root' partition mounted at '/' (just a slash). Ubuntu/kubuntu by default uses 'ext3' for the file system. If you have a gig of ram a swap may not be necessay but some distrobutions of linux require it.

2. Yes, If you have Windows already installed The bootloader 'grub' will automatically configure itself to give you the option to choose the OS at boot.

I insist you use 3 parttions. /, swap, and /home.

The reason for the /home partition is if you ever need to reinstall, you only need to nuke the root and swap partitions. Keep your /home partition if you have existing files, user settings, and any anything you don't want to loose.

(K)Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Text install version now has the ability to install grub on any partition.

I'm rather liking Ubuntu 6.06 (I hate KDE, but I won't go there). If you want more fun, configure XGL and Compiz. :hysterical:

I just have /boot, /, and swap partitions setup and / is xfs. /home is a good idea like domino said though.

Ditto, I can't feel KDE at all. I've used Gnome for more than 7yrs.

If you insist on playning with compiz, install the one in the Ubuntu repo as it isn't updated as frequent as the compiz.net packages and is more stable. A rule of thumb with compix/xgl is to always say 1 build behind the newest one. That way, the newest packages usualy get fixed a day or two after finding bugs. It's a good idea to install gset-compiz if you want a gui to admin compiz. Also pay attention to xgl-server, and mesa upgrades. Even though it will not cause any problems under gnome, it can cause problems with xgl.

Ditto, I can't feel KDE at all. I've used Gnome for more than 7yrs.

If you insist on playning with compiz, install the one in the Ubuntu repo as it isn't updated as frequent as the compiz.net packages and is more stable. A rule of thumb with compix/xgl is to always say 1 build behind the newest one. That way, the newest packages usualy get fixed a day or two after finding bugs. It's a good idea to install gset-compiz if you want a gui to admin compiz. Also pay attention to xgl-server, and mesa upgrades. Even though it will not cause any problems under gnome, it can cause problems with xgl.

I'm crazy and use the new repo ones. :) It really is quite slick, I love it. :hysterical: It'll be nice once they get some single project together with it so any 'average joe' can see what it is like. Not the most simple thing to get going currently.

It'll be nice once they get some single project together with it so any 'average joe' can see what it is like. Not the most simple thing to get going currently.

There is small talk in the compiz camp about a fork from the original package. Some aren't too keen about which is understandable. I also think that compiz/xgl needs to be more uniformed as more and more people are wanting to install it. The original developers invested time on this project for Novell, so maybe it is a good idea to go some what of a different road for distros other than Novell and SuSE. I also feal that there have been more breakage in the packages as more and more plugins are developed.

heh, suse should work fine. xgl/compiz was first distrubted under either novell desktop, suse, or gentoo. I have the same delema as you. I still haven't gotten my tv capture card to work. That and my O2 Xda IIs isn't very well support under any Linux distro. So my 12gig XP partition stays untill I have full hardware support.

I have the Prolink Pixelview PV-BT878P+ (Rev.4C). It's obviouse that I didn't try hard enough last time because I couldn't run it.

I can't code for {censored}, but i'll be damned if I can't get a hardware to run on my system. I tried again and it worked this time. What I did was figure out which of the 5 cards I really had. I didn't feel like yanking card from the box. I found the card's ID from LinuxTV.org cardlist.

Here is my method:

sudo rmmod bttv

sudo rmmod tuner

sudo modprobe bttv card=70

dmesg

The card was properly listed and audio worked. I did have to manually unmute the line-in from alsa mixer. Started tvtime and wouldn't you know it? Fashion TV Swimsuit Edition is on :D

edit: how does the screen capture work? It always comes up as blank :thumbsdown_anim:

screenshot2ge.th.png

Here ya go :P

13cg.th.jpg

Install xawtv and set the "Capture" mode to "grabdisplay". Contributed by xplode_me from compiz.net. You'll also find the Xawtv captures way better than Tvtime. The config might be a little tricky at first, but you'll get used to it. Only took me 5 minutes to get used to it.

Here ya go :)

13cg.th.jpg

Install xawtv and set the "Capture" mode to "grabdisplay". Contributed by xplode_me from compiz.net. You'll also find the Xawtv captures way better than Tvtime. The config might be a little tricky at first, but you'll get used to it. Only took me 5 minutes to get used to it.

Nice, now deinterlace that signal and it'll look really good. :)

Nice, now deinterlace that signal and it'll look really good. :poster_oops:

It's not noticable while viewing, even in full screen. I only noticed it while taking screens shots. If I add tuner=x, where x is some number, it still defaults to 5. So I just left it out of modprobe.conf.