ALC888 100% in Snow Leopard x64

NoSmokingBandit

102 posts in this topic

I have an Intel DG35EC board and am using the onboard sound. For a long time I have been using Voodoo.kext to get at least stereo sound. I have never had any luck with and ALC kexts, but I figured what the heck, one more try. So I installed these, removed Voodoo.kext and rebooted. My speakers thump when I reboot and I get the following in System Profiler:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x8086D701

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

Line Out:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

External Microphone:

External Microphone:

Headphone:

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Internal

However, once I get to the desktop the speakers thump again and there is no audio device in system preference even though it is still listed in profiler. Any ideas?

i have same problem, please somebody can help.

Sound not working

Try this, worked on my EP43-UD3L

(1) Find and download "Taruga’s AppleHDA Patcher version 1.20"

(2) Find and download "VoodooHDA.kext"

(3) Make your own CODEC Dump in Linux buy typing this into the Terminal

"cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 > ~/Desktop/codec_dump.txt"

and use that file,

if you get nothing, try changing "codec#0" to "codec#1"

keep going up in numbers till you get the info.

"cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#1 > ~/Desktop/codec_dump.txt"

"cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#2 > ~/Desktop/codec_dump.txt"

(Hint) the Ubuntu Install CD works just fine for this

(4) Find and download "Kext Utility"

(5) Drag "VoodooHDA.kext" onto "Kext Utility" to install

(6) Make a backup copy of "AppleHDA.kext", its in "/System/Library/Extensions"

(7) Drag "codec_dump.txt" onto "AppleHDA Patcher" to install

- EDIT

Has this worked for any one else ?

I tried a lot of stuff on mine, and this was the one that worked the best for me, but

I was using another setup for my audio before, the file "dg31pr_snow.zip" over at

SL KP on boot Intel DG31PR, does sl work from MBR?

Inside of the "dg31pr_snow.zip" are two sound KEXTs "AppleHDA.zip" and HDAEnabler.kext.zip

and I used them before I found the method using Taruga’s AppleHDA Patcher, I found that

method here

EP43-UD3L 10.6 SL Snow Leopard Install

and the codec dump info here

How to make a codec dump for my sound card?

Thought it might help to put the info/links in one post

(1) Find and download "Taruga’s AppleHDA Patcher version 1.20"

(2) Find and download "VoodooHDA.kext"

(3) Make your own CODEC Dump in Linux buy typing this into the Terminal

and use that file,

if you get nothing, try changing "codec#0" to "codec#1"

keep going up in numbers till you get the info.

"cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#1 > ~/Desktop/codec_dump.txt"

"cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#2 > ~/Desktop/codec_dump.txt"

(Hint) the Ubuntu Install CD works just fine for this

(4) Find and download "Kext Utility"

(5) Drag "VoodooHDA.kext" onto "Kext Utility" to install

(6) Make a backup copy of "AppleHDA.kext", its in "/System/Library/Extensions"

(7) Drag "codec_dump.txt" onto "AppleHDA Patcher" to install

Come to find out that you may not even need to use AppleHDA Patcher, and that

means no Codec Dump ether.

So it would be like this

(1) Find and download "VoodooHDA.kext"

(3) Find and download "Kext Utility"

(4) Drag "VoodooHDA.kext" onto "Kext Utility" to install

But now here is the tricky part, "AppleHDA.kext" and the file that gets created

buy AppleHDA Patcher, "ALCinject.kext", might interfere with "VoodooHDA.kext"

(or so I have read) so you should back them up, and remove them from

"/System/Library/Extensions" and run "Kext Utility" to clean up.

AND

There are quite a few different versions of VoodooHDA, each one seams to have different

fixes and abilities, here are 3, but there are more.

VoodooHDA (32-/ 64-bit, recompiled by Prasys)

VoodooPS2 and VoodooHDA (now 0.2.2 with prefPane) drivers for snow leopard 32/64 bit

Voodoohda Driver, Fully working!

Each one seams to act slightly different

With all the DSDT editing and whatnot floating around i desperately sought after a simpler solution. This method uses HDEFEnabler, a x64 version of HDAEnabler from Taruga, and a patched AppleHDA of unknown origins (if you know it belongs to you let me know and i will add your name for credit).

These cant be installed to an efi partition, and have to go in /S/L/E, but if it saves me time and confusion from editing the dsdt i really dont care.

I just installed them using KextHelper which surprisingly works well in 10.6. It will back up your original AppleHDA to /Backup Extensions, so if you need it back you can find it there.

This may also work with other codecs but all i have around here are 888 so i cant test anything else.

The kexts are attached, please report if this worked or not along with your motherboard model. I havent tested this extensively, but as far as i can tell it gives me 5.1 surround on my GA-EP45T-UD3LR

x64_audio_for_ALC888.zip

Dude, after hours and hours of trying every method I could find, this worked straight away. Thank you very much!

Dude, after hours and hours of trying every method I could find, this worked straight away. Thank you very much!

Oh, using a GA-EP41-UD3L.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
With all the DSDT editing and whatnot floating around i desperately sought after a simpler solution. This method uses HDEFEnabler, a x64 version of HDAEnabler from Taruga, and a patched AppleHDA of unknown origins (if you know it belongs to you let me know and i will add your name for credit).

These cant be installed to an efi partition, and have to go in /S/L/E, but if it saves me time and confusion from editing the dsdt i really dont care.

I just installed them using KextHelper which surprisingly works well in 10.6. It will back up your original AppleHDA to /Backup Extensions, so if you need it back you can find it there.

This may also work with other codecs but all i have around here are 888 so i cant test anything else.

The kexts are attached, please report if this worked or not along with your motherboard model. I havent tested this extensively, but as far as i can tell it gives me 5.1 surround on my GA-EP45T-UD3LR

x64_audio_for_ALC888.zip

Works with my GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3L, thanks!

Working great on Ep43C-Ds3 SL 10.6.2.

Thanks a lot.

Hey it works! Only minor issues - microphone doesn't work. And external speakers are identified as Internal speaker... I guess requires minor tweak, but atleast I got sound working!

My config - SL (10.6.2) on DP55WB Mobo, ALC888.

If anyone has microphone working on a similar config, please highlight if any special fix is required!

Please HELP me!!!!!!

I'm on GA-EP45-DS3L and OS X 10.6.2...I've tested all the kexts on earth and all the guides i've found.But i Can not make my sound work.Sound Chip is ALC888 and my chipset is Intel ICH10.I followed lifehacker's guide.

I can see my device "Intel Hight definition Audio" n system profiler but there is not an outpout device in sound prefs.

Thanks in advance...

Everything is perfect with my Hackintosh except the sound (Realtek ALC888). I have fumbled around with the updated 10.6.2 kexts but I am a guy with a lack of patience unfortunately.

I solved my sound problem with a USB to Audio adapter from Newegg. It is only $7.99 ($5.99 shipping) and has 84 reviews with 5-stars. Just insert it and it works. The Sound Preference Panel recognizes it instantly. There is nothing to install. The link is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16812186035.

It gives perfect sound albeit only Stereo, not 7.1 surround. It is an effective workaround for those of you like me who have no patience at all but need sound.

post-572814-1265928403_thumb.png

Okay i've been messing around with my Hackintosh for a while now, reinstalling and so on. The problem with ALC888 is definitely related to the build of your DSDT.aml file. Since I started Hackintoshing I've used Lifehackers method of installing and the prebuilt files there. On my last install I used the updated bootloader and dsdt file from Stellas blog, where he fixed the sound settings for the mobo used in the lifehacker install. This left me with no sound, no matter what combination of kext I used. When I reverted back to the original Snow files linked on Lifehacker, pretty much all the Kexts posted on this thread will give sound. Hope this helps guys.

I had been working on my sound from various other guides and sources, including testing many kexts and editing my dsdt.aml trying to get it working on my system (SIG), and came to this results:

- VoodooHDA.kext - gave me flaky sound,

- ALC888HDAudio.kext - gave me Stereo & 5.1, S/PDIF, but no Line IN:

audioout.jpg

builtinaudio.jpg

Very interesting notice of this kext:

Built in Audio (Line IN) is recognized as "Line OUT" !?!

- X64forALC888.kext - gave fast perfect stereo & 5.1 Surround sound with output working properly,

no pops or hisses, but without digital S/P-DIF output and not working Line IN also:

lineoutput.jpg

linein.jpg

I am using microphone over USB Web Camera, successfully!

Capturing Audio & Video over Firewire - 100% OK!

Only Problem is Built-in Line-Input!!!

I don´t get any sound on Line-in from any of this kexts! I´ve tried different sources, but no joy!

I have installed small application coled "SoundSource", enabling me to switch audio input and output

sources with a single click, and even adjust their volume settings.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

For a "playthru" function, I installed "LineIn" program, hoping this will help. Without success!

In the meantime, i am using Win 7 for Audio capturing from MiniDisc (Video Backup Sound) and import it in

Soundtrack Pro for edit.

I am very curios if somebody have working Line Input?

BR

QuattroFX

Stereo Sound & 5.1 Surround working OK except Line IN!

When you choose 5.1 aggregate device as your output device in Sound Preferences selected device

has no output controls!

At the moment I am using X64forALC888.kext and in Console I have some errors:

kernel Sound assertion ""( kRequestStateCORB == fCodecRequest->state ) = CORB engine stuck or response was missing"" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 2013 goto handler

kernel Sound assertion "0 != err" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/IOHDAFamily/IOHDACodecDevice.cpp" at line 128 goto Exit

Does anybody else noticed such a strange behavior of his iHac? Any solutions?

Cheers

QuattroFX

x64_audio_for_ALC888.zip

Hi !

good work ! thx ! :thumbsup_anim:

Stereo is working but no 4.1 and 5.1

i tried everething posted here.

i when i select the channels ist working on the channel but no surround.

ive got the EP45 UD3LR

my log gives out :

05.03.10 15:33:44 kernel Sound assertion "0 == fPathControls" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAPath.cpp" at line 1273 goto Exit

05.03.10 15:33:44 kernel Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAPath.cpp" at line 1194 goto Exit

05.03.10 15:33:44 kernel Sound assertion "0 != pathSet->getWidgetAmplifierGainRange ( &zeroValue, &minValue, &maxValue, &minDB, &maxDB, kPATH_CONTROL_SPATIAL_CHANNELID_Master )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 278 goto handler

thx 4 help

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I get the x64 audio for ALC888 kexts but 5.1 audio still don't work.

I have a DP43 intel motherboard with three connections in the rear panel for audio. Pink, Green and blue. And the only that works for audio output is the green. I think that the pink is working as a mic input.

Please some help.

Hi, I get the x64 audio for ALC888 kexts but 5.1 audio still don't work.

I have a DP43 intel motherboard with three connections in the rear panel for audio. Pink, Green and blue. And the only that works for audio output is the green. I think that the pink is working as a mic input.

Please some help.

Hallo Fernando,

Sorry, but your motherboard has only stereo out - green one! As you figured out yourself, pink is mic input

and blue is audio in.

But with some researching you can find solutions to remap your Audio interrupts in DSDT to become all 3 as

Audio Out and than try to make 5.1 surround aggregate device...

BR

QuattroFX