ALC888 100% in Snow Leopard x64

NoSmokingBandit

102 posts in this topic

With all the DSDT editing and whatnot floating around i desperately sought after a simpler solution. This method uses HDEFEnabler, a x64 version of HDAEnabler from Taruga, and a patched AppleHDA of unknown origins (if you know it belongs to you let me know and i will add your name for credit).

These cant be installed to an efi partition, and have to go in /S/L/E, but if it saves me time and confusion from editing the dsdt i really dont care.

I just installed them using KextHelper which surprisingly works well in 10.6. It will back up your original AppleHDA to /Backup Extensions, so if you need it back you can find it there.

This may also work with other codecs but all i have around here are 888 so i cant test anything else.

The kexts are attached, please report if this worked or not along with your motherboard model. I havent tested this extensively, but as far as i can tell it gives me 5.1 surround on my GA-EP45T-UD3LR

x64_audio_for_ALC888.zip

That would be just great, thanks :)

VoodooHDA is nice because it works on almost everything, but it always crapped out on me after waking from sleep.

I thought i saw a patched x64 applehda for 883 somewhere when i was hunting kexts. If i see it again ill post a link for you.

^^

Theres a link near the bottom of this page for 883 by Clubber_77:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...entry1993

I havent tried it myself (because i have no 883), so post results if it works!

At last i've found a working kext :)

Thank you so much NoSmokingBandit, i owe you a beer :)

The only problem i still couldn't find a way of getting sound all of them together. They are working seperately by selecting on sound prefs.

BTW, My MOBO is EX58-UD3R

Do you mean like Speaker Fill, where stereo things like mp3s can play through all the speakers at once? I have a setup for that, but i havent tested it in 10.6 yet. I'm still getting settled in :D

I'll see if it still works and post a speaker fill guide tomorrow probably.

Did you try changing the output in System Preferences? The AppleHDA i used in Leo set it to the wrong output by default and all i had to do was change it in sysprefs once and that fixed it.

I mean sound can be heard but when you try to change the volume, especially after pause, it begins from "pop" or "snap". If some sound (eg iTunes) is playing "pop" or "snap" can't be heard. This is very old problem occurred in 10.4 in native Macs. So judgment is: NOT WORKING PERFECTLY

Hey, thanks for the link but, it didn't go well with my Jetway P43 mobo :censored2:

Guess I am gonna stick with voodoo team for a while

^^

^^

Do you mean like Speaker Fill, where stereo things like mp3s can play through all the speakers at once? I have a setup for that, but i havent tested it in 10.6 yet. I'm still getting settled in :P

I'll see if it still works and post a speaker fill guide tomorrow probably.

Hi NoSmokingBandit and every one...

I have Asrock P43Twins1600 MB, at last HDA WORKS!!! but have same problem that Zeebeedee have....

Thanks a lot, my friend. We're waiting for your Speaker Fill Guide... :)

how do you get all speakers to work at once? My speakers all work but not at the same time. works based on which line out i choose

nevermind follow blackosx gudie and then doing this got all speakers working

"I take back my word. Got full analog 5.1 to work on my onboard alc888!

1. Tweak AppleHDA.kext to detect 3 Line Outputs: Green, Black, Orange.

2. Run Audio Midi Setup

3. Add new Aggregate Device

4. Click on the 3 check boxes corresponding to the 3 Line outs

5. Click on Configure Speakers

6. Select all 3 streams

7. Select Multichannel 5.1

8. Make sure all channels are properly mapped

9. Select Aggregate Device as output under System Preferences>Sound

10. Done"

from post here http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-alc88...surround-t3746/

Actually everything worked right up to the last step... step 9. Aggregate device is not showing up in sys pref > sound where a restart was required :thumbsdown_anim:

Oh...I really don't get it. I have an alc888 (but 7.1, I don't know if that is a problem) and first time that I installed those kext and restarted the devices appeared correctly at the preferences pane, but no sound was coming out of the speakers.

So I restarted my PC in windows to see if there were any problem with the speakers, but in windows they worked just fine. But when I booted in mac os again the devices stopped appearing in the preference pane and the audio MIDI setup doesn't open. Anyone have any idea?

Edit:

I discovered that the problem with audio MIDI setup was the aggregate profile that I made to join the channels, I deleted that and now the program works fine again. But still no audio...

I don't know if anyone noticed but, HDAEnabler.kext is already in plugins folder of AppleHDA.kext :thumbsup_anim: no need to install it twice.

Anyway, this works for me but, far from 100%... no headphones, at least. Will test more when possible...

Thanks

I don't know if anyone noticed but, HDAEnabler.kext is already in plugins folder of AppleHDA.kext :D no need to install it twice.

Anyway, this works for me but, far from 100%... no headphones, at least. Will test more when possible...

Thanks

good thing u noticed it Azimutz that HDAEnabler is already included w/ AppleHDA. so guys, don't use the HDAEnabler.kext anymore. just use the AppleHDA.kext.

it works with ALC888S onboard Aspire M1800.

Haven't tested 5.1, but stereo works, and seems to be working perfectly. No pops or hisses, running on a GA-EP45T-UD3LR with ALC888, ICH10R, and an E6300. Used lifehacker's Snow Leopard guide to install and get it booting from hard drive, added these two kexts, and everything worked.

And I had been working on sound from various other guides and sources, including testing many kexts and editing my dsdt.aml like crazy days trying to get this working.

Many thanks for a great post; I had given up and gone back to Ubuntu for a few days. This system is usable now that I have sound.

Tried it but alas still no sound on EP43-DS3L that has the ALC888 chip. After 10.6.1 update from Apple SL install.

Removed/reinstalled VoodooHDA, and other audio kexts, but still no sound for 10.6.1.

:jerry: Finally found a set of kexts that work: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184472 . Also on GA-EP43-UD3L Snow 10.6.1 server

With all the DSDT editing and whatnot floating around i desperately sought after a simpler solution. This method uses HDEFEnabler, a x64 version of HDAEnabler from Taruga, and a patched AppleHDA of unknown origins (if you know it belongs to you let me know and i will add your name for credit).

These cant be installed to an efi partition, and have to go in /S/L/E, but if it saves me time and confusion from editing the dsdt i really dont care.

I just installed them using KextHelper which surprisingly works well in 10.6. It will back up your original AppleHDA to /Backup Extensions, so if you need it back you can find it there.

This may also work with other codecs but all i have around here are 888 so i cant test anything else.

The kexts are attached, please report if this worked or not along with your motherboard model. I havent tested this extensively, but as far as i can tell it gives me 5.1 surround on my GA-EP45T-UD3LR

x64_audio_for_ALC888.zip

Sorry, no sound devices on Snow 10.6.1.

Any ideas how to fix sound on EP-43 + ALC888 with Snow Leopard 10.6.1?

Instaled all possible kexts, like VoodooHDA, this one,... no avail.

x64_audio_for_ALC888.zip

x64_audio_for_ALC888.zip

Hi.

it is working perfectly on Gigabyte EP35-DS3L rev.1 motherboard. Thanks a lot

Hi.

it is working perfectly on Gigabyte EP35-DS3L rev.1 motherboard. Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot, working in Gigabyte EP35-DS3L rev.1 motherboard Snow leopard 32 bits. Is the easiest method, thanks again. :)