Snow Leopard successfully installed on Intel DG33BU

rcg

43 posts in this topic

Thanks for your response. I may managed to get my PS2 working by installing them of SL/S/L/E. My DVD writer is detected sometime at startup and then after some time it shows me NO DVD. Is it because I am running SL from external HDD?

Another problem which I am facing right now is when I boot I get a blue screen and I am unable to do anything. But when I pressed my power button the blue screen vanished and my desktop was shown for a second or two and after that my monitor went off. I was unable to do anything but to restart my machine. I think it is because of sleep settings or something. I tried to remove SleepEnabler.kext, but the things got worse that after pressing the power button nothing happens. Can you please help me for this problem?

Thanks for your response. I may managed to get my PS2 working by installing them of SL/S/L/E.

I'm sorry, but I didn't get it: did your PS2 devices work after installing the kexts in SL/S/L/E?

My DVD writer is detected sometime at startup and then after some time it shows me NO DVD. Is it because I am running SL from external HDD?

Don't think that using an external HD has anything to do with your problem. But you could try to connect your HD directly to a SATA port in your board (if you have an external case that can be opened).

Yesterday I had a problem with my DVD drive after swapping discs. It simply stopped responding. I could not eject the disc from Snow Leopard and even by pressing the eject button on the drive. And I also could not restart Snow Leopard. I tried to reproduce this later, but with no success. Maybe it was just with one specific media. Or, as I've already encountered some problems with this drive even in Windows after I changed my BIOS to AHCI, I'm thinking that maybe it's not fully compatible to AHCI.

Another problem which I am facing right now is when I boot I get a blue screen and I am unable to do anything. But when I pressed my power button the blue screen vanished and my desktop was shown for a second or two and after that my monitor went off. I was unable to do anything but to restart my machine. I think it is because of sleep settings or something. I tried to remove SleepEnabler.kext, but the things got worse that after pressing the power button nothing happens. Can you please help me for this problem?

The latter problem really seems to be related to sleep (from what i recall, the power button is by default configured in Snow to make your computer sleep). But don't know what's causing the blue screen problem. I've already seen that, but cannot remember what it was. Maybe Snow Leopard is sending the primary video signal to the other output of your video card...

The problem with my display, which goes blue on startup - I found that if the monitor powers off as per the power saving settings and when it wakes up it works correctly. I don't know why this is happening?

Secondly I remover all AHCI related kexts which you supplied and I was shocked to see my DVD writer working correctly but after few minutes again it disappeared.

Now new problem I am facing that my hackintosh hangs after two-three minutes post startup. I think 10.6.1 update might be causing this. Can you throw some light on this matter?

The problem with my display, which goes blue on startup - I found that if the monitor powers off as per the power saving settings and when it wakes up it works correctly. I don't know why this is happening?

I'm pretty sure your problem is because Snow Leopard is defaulting the primary video signal to the other output of your video card, as I've already read that sometimes the dual-video configuration stops working after a sleep. Does your card have two outputs? Did you try connecting your monitor to the other output? If you can't do that (i.e. if your monitor connector doesn't fit the other output), I would recommend trying different values for your graphic card's EDI string in Boot.plist in order to disable the other output. The only way I managed to boot my Hackintosh, even with Leopard, was by disabling my GPU's second output by editing the EFI string.

Also, I recommend you to disable the auto-sleep in Snow Leopard, as sleep doesn't work. But just do it after you manage to solve your blue screen problem.

Secondly I remover all AHCI related kexts which you supplied and I was shocked to see my DVD writer working correctly but after few minutes again it disappeared.

Well, I don't know how to help you with this problem, as everything is working for me. I even have a similar DVD drive (HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GH22LS30). One last shot: is your drive updated with the latest firmware available? Maybe there's a problem with AHCI that has been resolved in a firmware update. Try installing LG ODD utility (in Windows) to check if there are updates...

Now new problem I am facing that my hackintosh hangs after two-three minutes post startup. I think 10.6.1 update might be causing this. Can you throw some light on this matter?

That's strange, but maybe after so many configurations your system is not so reliable. I would try reinstalling everything again...

To rcg

How create DSDT.aml file???

Well, there are many guides on insanelymac and other sites (like infinitemac.com and hackint0sh.org), and I used one of them. From what I remember, these are the steps I executed from inside my iPC Leopard Hackintosh:

1. Downloaded ~pcwiz's DSDT GUI app and used it to create a dsdt.aml file from my BIOS

2. Downloaded iasl and extracted it to the same directory of the dsdt.aml file

3. In Terminal, ran the following commands to decompile the dsdt.aml:

sudo -s
iasl -d dsdt.aml

That created a dsdt.dsl file

4. Opened the dsdt.dsl file in a text editor and searched for "RTC"

5. Under "Device (RTC)" changed the following line:

0x08		  //Length

to:

0x02		  // Length

I think there were more than one "Device (RTC)" sections (i.e. "Device (RTC0)"), with some of them already with the 0x02 value for length. I just changed the ones with different values.

6. Again in Terminal, compile your dsdt.dsl file:

sudo -s
iasl -ta dsdt.dsl

You'll then have a patched dsdt.aml file specific for your board and BIOS which you could use with the Chameleon booloader.

• 3 weeks later...
Just wanted to share my experience on how I got Snow Leopard running on my system.

First, my system specs:

Installation prerequisites:

• Leopard already installed on a SATA hard drive (if needed, follow my instructions posted here on how to install Leopard on DG33BU boxes)
  • A SATA blank hard disk (to install Snow Leopard on it) connected to SATA Port 0
    I had one disk partitioned with MBR and with WinXP on it. The other one was also partitioned with MBR and was used for Leopard. As I needed a blank disk, I used Acronis Disk Director to resize my WinXP partition, leaving enough space to copy my Leopard partition. Still using Disk Director I copied the Leopard partition from one disk to another. Just after checking that I could correctly boot from the freshly copied Leopard partition, I was sure I could format the other disk.
  • Image (dmg) of the Snow Leopard Install DVD
  • Chameleon 2.0-RC2 installer package
  • Chameleon 2.0-RC3 binaries
  • Kexts for the Chameleon bootloader (they will be installed on the EFI partition)
  • 64 bit Kext for the Intel 82566 network adapter (it will be installed on the Snow partition)
  • 64 bit VoodooHDA
  • Patched DSDT.aml file
  • BIOS configurations:
    • HPET enabled
    • IDE as Native and SATA as AHCI (*)
    • ACPI as S3
    • Intel-VT disabled (if available - it depends on your processor)
    • Compliance Test Pattern disabled (**)
    • Primary Video Adapter as Auto (**)

(*) To be able to dual boot WinXP with AHCI enabled, I had to install Intel drivers following tutorials I found through Google. It seems that Vista and Windows 7 have built-in AHCI support

(**) Thanks to Gautham Gupta for these two

Installation procedures:

1. Boot into Leopard and using Disk Utility, format the new disk with GUID partition scheme (I always create two partitions, one for the OS and another for data I don't want to lose when reformatting). Give an easy name for the partition you're going to use for Snow Leopard (I called mine as "Snow")
  2. Mount the Snow Leopard Install DVD image. After that, click on the "Go" menu and select "Go to folder". Type "Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/" (without the quotes) and hit "Go"
  3. Double click on "OSInstall.mpkg" and follow the onscreen instructions. Just be sure to choose the Snow partition you created before. And remember to click on "Customize", deselecting unneeded languages and all printers. After Snow Leopard's installation completes, don't boot
  4. Install Chameleon 2.0-RC2. Again, follow onscreen instructions. Just make sure to click on the "Change Install Location" button, selecting your Snow partition, and then on the "Customize" button, selecting the "Chameleon EFI HFS" and the "Extras" options. After Chameleon RC2 is installed, don't boot
  5. Copy the Chameleon RC3 boot file to your EFI partition. To achieve this, open Terminal, and type the following commands:
    sudo -s
    <your password>
    diskutil list
    <identify the EFI partition on the same disk where your Snow partition is - it'll be something like diskXs1, with X=0,1,2,etc. - use this identifier on the next commands>
    mkdir /Volumes/EFI
    mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI
    killall Finder

If you get an invalid argument after the mount_hfs, type "fsck_hfs /dev/diskXs1" and then try again
    You'll see a new disk on your Desktop (or Finder window) called EFI. Copy the "i386/boot" file from Chameleon RC3 binaries to the EFI disk. If you receive permission denied errors, try copying using Terminal (after issuing the "sudo -s" command)

6. Open the Extras/com.apple.Boot.plist file on the EFI disk in TextEdit and paste your graphic cards EFI string between the <string> and </string> tags that follow the "<key>device-properties</key>" line. You could copy it from your running Leopard Boot.plist or generate it using EFIStudio
  7. Exclude all Kexts in the EFI's /Extras/Extensions folder. Copy the Kexts I provided
  8. Create a patched DSDT.aml following the guide. Optionally, use the file I provided, but I don't know if it'll work. Put the patched DSTD.aml file in the Extras folder of the EFI disk
  9. Open Disk Utility, right-click on the Snow partition and choose "Information". Copy the value for "Universal Unique Identifier". Right-click on the /Extras/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext on the EFI partition, choose "Show Package Contents", then open the "Contents" folder. Open the Info.plist in TextEdit and paste the value copied from Disk Utility between the <string> and </string> tags that follow the "<key>PlatformUUID</key>" line.
  10. Reboot and in BIOS change your hard disks boot order, so that the new GUID disk is the first option (or hold F10 during the POST screen and choose that disk)
  11. In Chameleon boot screen press any key and then type -v -f and hit enter
  12. If everything went fine, you should boot into Leopard, with no sound and no network
  13. Once in Leopard, install the Intel82566MM.kext and the VoodooHDA.kext using Kext Helper. Reboot and again use the -v -f boot options
  14. If everything went fine, now you'll have a fully working Leopard installation. If you wish, install the VoodooHDA preferences panel by double-clicking the VoodooHDA.prefPane file
  15. I've already updated to 10.6.1 and had no problems.

Thank for this guide. I´ve got the same MB, with ATI x300 video card. I got snow leopard running, but I can´t get sound and network drivers installed. I Used Kext Helper b7, did the easy install opition, restarted and nothing. Any advice?

• 1 month later...

rcg,

I hope you are still reading this. Your original post got me going fine on my DG33BU except for one thing:

At boot with -f -v I get:

Error - kext net.osrom.kext.Disabler declares com.apple.kernel dependencies. Only com.apple.kpi.* dependencies are supported for 64-bit kexts.

Can't load kext net.osrom.kext.Disabler - failed to resolve library dependencies.

Kext net.osrom.Disabler failed to load.........

Failed to load kext net.osrom.kext.Disabler (error 0xdc008000e).

System boots after this and appears to run fine :)

The stuff above is visible in a Terminal using dmesg.

1. Does this mean I'm supposed to delete the Disabler kext from Extra in EFI?
  2. Only other issue is disk utility takes several seconds to launch. Is this due to me having a 2nd SATA drive that is NTFS?

mm

Thank for this guide. I´ve got the same MB, with ATI x300 video card. I got snow leopard running, but I can´t get sound and network drivers installed. I Used Kext Helper b7, did the easy install opition, restarted and nothing. Any advice?

Wow, it's been a long time since my last visit to InsanelyMac. Don't know if you're going to see this, but, did you use the -f and -v boot options after installing the network and sound kexts using Kext Helper?

rcg,

I hope you are still reading this. Your original post got me going fine on my DG33BU except for one thing:

At boot with -f -v I get:

Error - kext net.osrom.kext.Disabler declares com.apple.kernel dependencies. Only com.apple.kpi.* dependencies are supported for 64-bit kexts.

Can't load kext net.osrom.kext.Disabler - failed to resolve library dependencies.

Kext net.osrom.Disabler failed to load.........

Failed to load kext net.osrom.kext.Disabler (error 0xdc008000e).

System boots after this and appears to run fine :)

The stuff above is visible in a Terminal using dmesg.

1. Does this mean I'm supposed to delete the Disabler kext from Extra in EFI?
  2. Only other issue is disk utility takes several seconds to launch. Is this due to me having a 2nd SATA drive that is NTFS?

mm

Well, I just ran dmesg on my Hackintosh and got no errors like yours. The only error messages I get are:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

FakeSMC: key not found NVPR, length - 1

BootCache: hit rate below threshold (4248 hits on 8497 lookups)

And I also have a 2nd SATA drive with NTFS partitions, but Disk Utility launches normally. It only launches a lit bit slower when one of the drives is put to sleep, as it has to spin on again.

I'm sorry I can't help you more.

• 1 month later...

Hi rcg, thanks for this guide. I have the same motherboard and running 10.6.2 using a prepared USB hard drive as installer following "my Hack Installation Guide". I used your guide to install kext and other things. Thanks again. Everything seems to be working ok, except that when I shut it down, it hangs and I have to manually shut it down. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Hi rcg, thanks for this guide. I have the same motherboard and running 10.6.2 using a prepared USB hard drive as installer following "my Hack Installation Guide". I used your guide to install kext and other things. Thanks again. Everything seems to be working ok, except that when I shut it down, it hangs and I have to manually shut it down. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Well, I've been trying to make the system shut down normally and I've noticed that the Sata DVD drive is being access very frequently (the ligth blinks), maybe every 15 to 20 second even without a disk inside. The system seems very slow when this happens, and accessing the other sata HD takes forever, also coping something from this other Sata HD takes for ever. So I shot down and disconnected the SATA DVD drive, turned the system on and worked beatufly, even shut down worked, took a little longer than my leopard installation, but it did shut down. I never had a issue similar with the sata DVD drive with Leopard. Any clues and help is appreciated. ACHI is enabled. Thanks.

Hi, I didn't know about the myHack... Really nice! But if I have to reinstall my Hackintosh someday I think I would still do the way I described in my guide, as I like the fact that the bootloader and kexts and dstl are in a separate partition.

About your shutdown problem, I would recommend booting in verbose mode (-v) as this forces the shutdown to run in verbose mode too. And then check if there are any specific error message that could give a hint of what is causing the problem.

Well, I've been trying to make the system shut down normally and I've noticed that the Sata DVD drive is being access very frequently (the ligth blinks), maybe every 15 to 20 second even without a disk inside. The system seems very slow when this happens, and accessing the other sata HD takes forever, also coping something from this other Sata HD takes for ever. So I shot down and disconnected the SATA DVD drive, turned the system on and worked beatufly, even shut down worked, took a little longer than my leopard installation, but it did shut down. I never had a issue similar with the sata DVD drive with Leopard. Any clues and help is appreciated. ACHI is enabled. Thanks.

Well, did you try inverting your HD and DVD port connections on the mainboard? I remember having some problems when the DVD was on SATA0 port... You could also try updating the DVD drive firmware to the latest version available. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

hi man, i have dg33bu, and ps2 mouse and keyboard... but boot stucks on "Insert your keyboard first"... tried usb keyboard, no effect. Tried install ApplePS2Controller to EFI/Extra/Extensions/ and directly in Snow/S/L/E/, but nothing changed. Can u help me, please ? (:

• 1 month later...
hi man, i have dg33bu, and ps2 mouse and keyboard... but boot stucks on "Insert your keyboard first"... tried usb keyboard, no effect. Tried install ApplePS2Controller to EFI/Extra/Extensions/ and directly in Snow/S/L/E/, but nothing changed. Can u help me, please ? (:

Sorry I took so long to respond...

I really don't recommend using PS2 mouse and keyboard with Snow Leopard...

But it is really strange it still asked for a keyboard even when you were using a USB one. I've never seen nothing like this. I use wireless USB keyboard and mouse (from Microsoft), and when first installing Snow Leopard I expected to encounter some problems, but they always worked like a charm, being detected by the install and my MacOSX. Can't you try with a different one (e.g. borrowing someone's keyboard)?

• 1 month later...

DG33BU 10.6.4 Snow Leopard Install

Hi, I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this thread but I have an easier install of 10.6.4 with sound, Ethernet and Video for those who need it.

First off I take only a small amount of credit for the method of install, it took many hours to compile the pieces and parts for this install but its still just a modified version of the install from the original poster and from the tutorials from Juiceman and user_01 in the DX58SO thread.

You will need two hard drives a copy of iATKOS v5i, Retail 10.6.3, and the files I have attached.

Make the bios changes suggested at the beginning of this thread

First you are going to need to install iAtkos 5i on a hard drive using these settings

Chameleon Boot Loader (uncheck PC EFI V9)

Apple Decrypt

DSMos

SMBIOS-EFI

SMBIOS-Enabler

AppleSMBIOS-28

9.5.0 FASSL Kernel

X86 ACPI

DISABLER.KEXT

Graphics Update

NVKush

Intel SATA

Intel AHCI Sata

You dont need it to be fully functional just bootable. I have a copy on a drive that I use for set-ups or maintenance on the couple of hacks I have running (DX58SO and DG33BU), it has saved me hours of work.

Once you are booted into iATKOS mount your disk or image (if you have a .dmg its faster) After that, click on the "Go" menu and select "Go to folder". Type "Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/" (without the quotes) and hit "Go"

Find OSInstall.mpkg, click on it.

Install Mac OS with no options.

Run bootloader provided

Put "EXTRA" folder in root of your newly installed SL (you may or may not need the NVEnabler.kext , I have it there for my gt 7600) the SleepEnabler.kext is the most recent but sleep isn't working for me right now.

the DSDT is the modified one provided by the original poster the smbios is for my core two duo and 800m ram, set to show mac Pro 3,1, but its all easily changed using the Lizard app. provided.

Ok so now you are ready to boot into Snow Leopard.

Go through the motions to get you there. Once there you can update first or install the kexts provided ( drag and drop them over the kext utility provided ). I like to install kexts/update one at a time so if you have an issue you know where to start...sorta:)

I personally like to have a copy of the update ready (Downloaded from apple sight)

The NVinject.kext may or may not be necessary, as for me I have all of my resolution options and dont have to screw with efi studios and modifying the boot.plst. (its really nice) haven't tried it on my other hack yet.

If you have a constant problem with stalling and hanging on boot you might want to try a different hard drive (worked for me).

That is as far as I have gotten, like I said sleep isnt working and I'm still debugging a little but its nice to have snow leopard installed in less than a half an hour.

If you have anyway to make this better and save others the headache please post it.

DG33BU.zip

Thank You

DG33BU

E8400

XFX GT 7600

4gb 800mghz crucial

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry I took so long to respond...

I really don't recommend using PS2 mouse and keyboard with Snow Leopard...

But it is really strange it still asked for a keyboard even when you were using a USB one. I've never seen nothing like this. I use wireless USB keyboard and mouse (from Microsoft), and when first installing Snow Leopard I expected to encounter some problems, but they always worked like a charm, being detected by the install and my MacOSX. Can't you try with a different one (e.g. borrowing someone's keyboard)?

working ps2 keyboard on dg33bu

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=0#entry1202851

download this kext SL_PS2_Voodoo.zip :P