SOLVED:X4500 Mouse artifact with Native Resolution

jasim

126 posts in this topic

Errr.. can't you just search here on the forum? The goal of this topic is not to learn how to copy files from flashdrives.

Anyway, you need to know the identifier for your flashdrive. For example, disk2s1.. once you found that, you need to mount it. When mounted, you can access the files and copy :P

while installing this OS i did not install any intel video driver in custom section as option for 4500 was not available.

will this patch still work, or i need to install the OS again and install any arbitrary driver of intel video and then apply this patch?

while installing this OS i did not install any intel video driver in custom section as option for 4500 was not available.

will this patch still work, or i need to install the OS again and install any arbitrary driver of intel video and then apply this patch?

You shouldn't install any custom video driver at all, I guess. Just leave the original ones from Apple. They won't work, so you'll get to a 1024x768 (VESA?) screen. Then, there, you can install this patch.

You shouldn't install any custom video driver at all, I guess. Just leave the original ones from Apple. They won't work, so you'll get to a 1024x768 (VESA?) screen. Then, there, you can install this patch.

i am having DELL 1545 1366X768.

I installed 3100 intel driver at the customizing install.

after completing install in intalled 3100 patched kexts. and the worked GR8.

one problem a blue screen appears just after bootin for 2 second is it possible to eliminate this artifact?

Thnx for the guide.

anybody knows how to enable QE/CI for 4500 patched resolution.

one problem a blue screen appears just after bootin for 2 second is it possible to eliminate this artifact?

As far as I know, nops. It's just 2 seconds.. ;)

anybody knows how to enable QE/CI for 4500 patched resolution.

Dude, I don't to be rude or anythig, but could you please READ the topic? We still DON'T have QE/CI on GMA4500. It's still impossible to get that enabled for now. There are people working on this, so just sit, wait (months, maybe years) and relax :(

Think about it: you don't have QE/CI, but you got native resolution. At least, your eyes won't hurt so much lol

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh. Device ID 2a42, 10.6.2, stuck at 1024x768.

Everything I try results in a black screen or no difference.

Tried downloading the 64-bit SL kexts from earlier in the thread, still at 1024x768, doesn't look like they've even loaded. Can't see anything in system.log...

Please someone help. All I want is native res. :P

Ugh. Device ID 2a42, 10.6.2, stuck at 1024x768.

Everything I try results in a black screen or no difference.

Tried downloading the 64-bit SL kexts from earlier in the thread, still at 1024x768, doesn't look like they've even loaded. Can't see anything in system.log...

Please someone help. All I want is native res. :P

Err.. booting in 32bit mode should solve the problem. Afaik, there isn't any (modded) driver for GMA4500 on x64 enviroment yet.

EDIT: black screen? try putting the correct dsdt on root.

32-bit makes no difference.

Highest VESA mode this {censored} bios caters for is 1024x768x32.

And there's no 'correct DSDT' as far as I know, considering it seems about 3 people who own Sony Vaios have tried to put OS X on them and even then nobody with even this family of model (Sony VAIO Nw) is posting/hackintoshing. So I'd have to compile the DSDT myself, and I have no idea how. I've looked before but it's way too complicated from what I saw.

Sorry, I negated to mention I wasn't on a Dell 1545, which it seems 90% of the 4500ers are, for some reason. :s

32-bit makes no difference.

Highest VESA mode this {censored} bios caters for is 1024x768x32.

And there's no 'correct DSDT' as far as I know, considering it seems about 3 people who own Sony Vaios have tried to put OS X on them and even then nobody with even this family of model (Sony VAIO Nw) is posting/hackintoshing. So I'd have to compile the DSDT myself, and I have no idea how. I've looked before but it's way too complicated from what I saw.

Sorry, I negated to mention I wasn't on a Dell 1545, which it seems 90% of the 4500ers are, for some reason. :s

Actually, when I said "correct DSDT" you could use one you make or someone uploaded. I used one which someone uploaded on some topic about the GMA4500 and it worked fine.

And yes, creating your own DSDT is something I can call 'insane'. It's insanely weird heheheh I tried one time... and that was the last one :D

32bit makes difference if you have the correct driver and if you rebuild the kextcache or force all kexts to be loaded (-f). I guess. At least is what I did.

Yeah, everyone has a Dell 1545, including myself. It's a great laptop, except for this stupid GMA4500. :(

I mean 32-bit didn't make a difference for me when I tried it (multiple times). I tried a fair few different methods, half of which were probably Leopard methods, but gave em a go anyway.

Not gonna even try DSDT unless there really is no other option. I tried ahhkolaa's DSDT and of course it caused a KP as soon as it booted because obviously it's made for vastly different hardware.

Hoping someone from somewhere will be able to give me some key advice or even a working kext. D:

But i cant play any video avi divx xvid on quick time or VLC.

I guess it's because we don't have QE/CI? (At least on VLC, I guess)

On QuickTime, just get the XviD codec. I did this and it worked. Well, I didn't watch a movie on OSX, but I guess it's possible even without QE/CI. But your processor will be on fire soon... -_-

Just a quick note, because no one seems to have thought of it... Display Overrides! EDID!

Most of the time when laptop is stuck on certain resolution(s), it's because the LCD's EDID isn't found. Modern notebooks rarely have set hard-coded VESA modes anymore... as I understand it, usually they are generated on the fly based on the screen being used. However, OSX has a huge problem grabbing the EDID (display info) especially when proper drivers aren't loaded, so often will dump to 1024x768, or even a scrambled / messed up screen. The easiest way to fix this is by using Display Overrides:

Boot to Windows and retrieve your EDID using this. If you don't have Windows, you can use a Linux live cd, but I don't have the instructions for doing that. I was able to get mine from within OSX because after multiple reboots, it can occasionally read the EDID and displays fine (when it doesn't, the resolution is wrong enough that it doesn't display at all). Now boot into OSX and open SwitchResX. Find the fake display and vendor id's it is using (mine is using /System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-756e6b6e/DisplayProductID-717 ). Copy that file to your desktop, and rename it to *.plist. Open it with Plist Editor Pro, and add your EDID. If that file isn't there, or you don't have all the data, you can try simply using / editing mine, which I have attached here. Once done, remove the .plist extension, overwrite the default Override, and reboot. If all goes well, when OSX can't read your EDID, it will use the default Display Override again and this time get the proper data from there.

This of course has nothing to do with drivers or QE, but is a likely solution for being stuck in an ugly resolution. I'm not sure DSDT is the answer here anyway (I have yet to successfully inject EDID data into the X3100 Framebuffer / display from the DSDT), though it's not nearly as scary as you all make out ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

do you also get a blank screen with your X4500(MHD)? Here's some information you might like reading:

I am running a Dell Latitude XT2 with Snow Leopard in 32-bit mode and a patched X3100FB.kext. I observed the following:

1. Connect a second monitor and boot with the lid open (that is important!). Until MacOSX starts, all output should be seen on the laptop LCD only. But then, the laptop LCD first goes blue, then black but the second monitor shows the desktop (but no menu and no dock). Since the menu bar and the dock are on the primary monitor (i.e., the laptop LCD, which you cannot see), blindly open the "Displays" preference pane (using Spotlight), use the "Gather Windows" button and finally change the "Arrangement" settings (you can move the menu bar from one monitor to another, which also moves the dock to that monitor). Voila, all your stuff is on the external monitor at the right resolution. After restarting, possibly open Finder windows should now also appear on the external monitor.

2. Now what about the blank laptop LCD? On my laptop, I cannot do much about it other than wait. Why wait? Because you want your displays to go to sleep! When they wake up, the laptop LCD will wake up as well! And again, voila, both displays working at the right resolution. I also just tried without the external monitor and I get the exact same behavior: let the display go to sleep (currently takes 10 minutes here, but that just a matter of setting it up) and wake it up again.

Hope this helps anyone. Next stop: login script that automatically puts displays to sleep just to wake them up again. Hopefully that'll work.

Best regards

Edit: Instead of waiting for the display to go to sleep, you can also put them to sleep with Ctrl+Sgift+Eject (Apple Keyboards only) or by specifying a hot-corner (System Preferences -> Expose & Spaces).

Hi,

do you also get a blank screen with your X4500(MHD)? Here's some information you might like reading:

Edit: Instead of waiting for the display to go to sleep, you can also put them to sleep with Ctrl+Sgift+Eject (Apple Keyboards only) or by specifying a hot-corner (System Preferences -> Expose & Spaces).

Oh my god, this is one of the best tricks I've read on the forum, yet. Great job, dude!

Should be part of the "definitive 4500 guide". This combined with the "512 MB 4500 driver"

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...200093&st=0

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This kext works fine in 10.6 but after I upgraded to 10.6.3 i have native resolution, but mouse cursor is not moving. It moves, because I can run apps from the dock blindly, but os just doesn't draw it moving. So, can someone update this method for 10.6.3? I tried to return AppleIntelIntegratedFB.kext from retail 10.6 DVD and reinstalled all these files, but no good. Help!

This kext works fine in 10.6 but after I upgraded to 10.6.3 i have native resolution, but mouse cursor is not moving. It moves, because I can run apps from the dock blindly, but os just doesn't draw it moving. So, can someone update this method for 10.6.3? I tried to return AppleIntelIntegratedFB.kext from retail 10.6 DVD and reinstalled all these files, but no good. Help!

#2 I have exactly the same Problem.

One more thing. Driver can't read right values for backlight of LCD so it enables MAX setting. It eats my eyes! Without driver Fn keys for setting brightness work, with these kexts it stops working. Need good DSDT for ASUS UL50Ag, with backlight settings and working Fn keys.

Once for ALL!!! The patched kexts for GMA4500 works ONLY at 10.6->10.6.1->10.6.2!!! The graphics architecture it 10.6.3 is changed and there are more kexts and system files added, and this is the reason for those issues. The only working way for native resolution at 10.6.3 it the Deviato`s method!

Once for ALL!!! The patched kexts for GMA4500 works ONLY at 10.6->10.6.1->10.6.2!!! The graphics architecture it 10.6.3 is changed and there are more kexts and system files added, and this is the reason for those issues. The only working way for native resolution at 10.6.3 it the Deviato`s method!

Wow, you're right - this method worked SO well for me!

Now, I don't just have native graphics on my 10.6.3 install, I can now see native graphics on the beautiful MyHack bootloader menu!

This is very exciting. Thank you, sir, for telling me about this. :)

To all who have this problem... click on Search and type in Deviato, the first link should do it.