Need help installing Snow Leopard on P6T-SE

kungfupanda

87 posts in this topic

You shouldn't have to choose. Is there a newer version out somewhere? Is there a DSDT patch for that?

I don't think so. Sleeps works without OpenHaltRestart so that kext should be the problem thats prevent it from sleeping anymore.

Hi KFP

It looks like your SL installer USB can't load the boot files from the USB itself. This can be due to a variety of reasons - I once had that problem ages ago on the P5W-DH, solved it by changing my video card (perhaps you have an old Nvidia card lying around somewhere ?). Sometimes it helps to turn USB legacy mode OFF in the BIOS. And to have NOTHING plugged into USB except for keyboard and mouse.

Have you turned off Magic Gate in the bios ? I had problems with this enabled ( it is enabled by default )

If nothing works then you could take the USB out of the picture ... do you have an external USB enclosure or USB SATA dock ? If so, put the HDD ( not the USB ) into the dock, attach to MacBook format as GUID, create two partitions - one main big HFS+ journalled partition and one small (20GB) HFS+ journalled partition

Into the HFS+ journalled partition, restore the Snow Leopard Install DVD, install chameleon pkg and copy the /Extra etc

Attach HDD back to SATA1 and try

I don't have any old Nvidia cards or external USB enclosures lying around so the only option I have is to try to get it to work with the USB Flash Drive. Other people have succeeded in installing SL using a USB Flash Drive so why shouldn't it work with me? Maybe I did something wrong when I was preparing the flash drive. Anyway, I will try to turn off legacy mode and magic gate and see what happens. Tell me if you want to see more pictures of the installer booting. Sometimes I get to the Apple Ethernet Address thing and sometimes I don't. One more question: Should I boot with

-x32 or arch=i386? Thanks for your help harshw

I hope it's Express Gate that's causing it. I also have it turned off.

I don't think Express Gate is the problem as it is currently disabled. Could it be USB Legacy mode that harshw mentioned?

I don't have any old Nvidia cards or external USB enclosures lying around so the only option I have is to try to get it to work with the USB Flash Drive. Other people have succeeded in installing SL using a USB Flash Drive so why shouldn't it work with me? Maybe I did something wrong when I was preparing the flash drive. Anyway, I will try to turn off legacy mode and magic gate and see what happens. Tell me if you want to see more pictures of the installer booting. Sometimes I get to the Apple Ethernet Address thing and sometimes I don't. One more question: Should I boot with

-x32 or arch=i386? Thanks for your help harshw

I don't think Express Gate is the problem as it is currently disabled. Could it be USB Legacy mode that harshw mentioned?

To boot 32 bit kernel it should be " arch=i386 " ... without the quotes obviously :censored2:

If you want to have fun with a hackint0sh, be prepared to sweat it out - but that's where the fun part is :))

Just because you have the same Asus P6T SE board, doesn't mean anything. It could be a different revision, with different PCI / IRQ routings, it could be a different SL installer version - in fact it could be anything. You just have to keep trying. More pics, clearer ones, taken a bit closer to screen, would be very helpful ...

To boot 32 bit kernel it should be " arch=i386 " ... without the quotes obviously ;)

If you want to have fun with a hackint0sh, be prepared to sweat it out - but that's where the fun part is :D)

Just because you have the same Asus P6T SE board, doesn't mean anything. It could be a different revision, with different PCI / IRQ routings, it could be a different SL installer version - in fact it could be anything. You just have to keep trying. More pics, clearer ones, taken a bit closer to screen, would be very helpful ...

Sorry about the image quality ;) I will take some more pictures very soon. Thanks for your help mate

er Express Gate was turned off from the start so what else could be causing the boot UUID problem?

I'm a little baffled to be honest. As far as I know you're the only one who's having this problem. You mind taking a peek at your motherboard to see what revision it is? Maybe there's a slight difference between our boards that's causing this. Otherwise I'm going to try and update my guide very soon with better kexts and improved scripts. I really want you to get this thing up and running.

er Express Gate was turned off from the start so what else could be causing the boot UUID problem?

Can you try booting your MacBook with the SL installer USB ? and seeing if it works ? Or trying with a different USB stick ...

Also, get your DSDTxxx.AML generated under windows using the method I described and post it here

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I fixed it!!!

I've been having the exact same issues with my p6t-se board and it nearly drove me nuts... What i did was

- Fixing the IRQ problems in dsdt

- Downgrade bios from 608 to 603

- Unplugged every usb port

- Unplugged every sata port

- Switched memory banks

- Disabled almost everything in the bios

But still it would hang at AppleRTL8169 etc etc...

So i figured that if everything worked properly, what would be the next step for the boot loader to execute and show me the nice install screen. Logically this would be the videocard... So there must be some kind of video driver issue.

I've got an old but still good functioning ati x1900xt, so i went into the /System/Library/Extensions dir and just deleted every ati driver that i could find with "rm -dfr ATI*" :P

So I plugged the flashdrive back in and before i knew it the install screen just poped up :(:P:D

So kungfupanda, if you're still folowing this topic, just try and delete all the ati drivers.

"15min remaining" till i can enjoy snow leopard... :P

Peace out,

Sentiflex

[EDIT]

After you installed snow leopard you have to delete all the ati drivers again from the hard drive, or else you will just hear the welcome to snow leopard intro movie and don't see anything :P

• 1 year later...

Im still stuck at that RTL8169 freeze point.. I've tried a million combinations of kexts, still no luck.. it hangs there everytime! If i disable my LAN in BIOS it hangs at the previous step, with audio something.. blah.. im almost giving up!