Need help installing Snow Leopard on P6T-SE

kungfupanda

87 posts in this topic

Hey harshw:

I don't know my ass from my head when it comes to DSDT patching, so I may have to spend a few hours figuring it out. I tried your kexts and still couldn't boot 64-bit though.

As far as kungfupanda's problems are concerned, this is just plain weird. I've never had to wait more than a minute for either the SL installer or SL to boot. Why you're getting stuck is beyond me.

kungfupanda, did you try resetting all your BIOS settings?

yes, i did reset all of my BIOS settings. then I set it to AHCI, and disabled HT and JMicron.

For some reason the SE is extremelyquirky. I almost gave up, considering that a retail copy of SL boots with just the Chameleon bootloader and nothing else on my P5E-VM

Okays, downgrade to 0503 BIOS. Use the SMBIOS.plist & DSDT.aml posted above. Try with "cpus=1" in boot command line, along with -v etc. And make sure you have Plug And Play OS set to [YES] in the P6T SE BIOS. Have you disabled the JMicron SATA controller ?

Some other things to try:

Try booting without the DSDT.aml, just rename it temporarily & watch for error messages on the boot screen

Try booting with the HDD set to IDE. If it works then it is definitely a SATA problem

Hope you are booting with just ONE HDD - remove cables for others

Also the DSDT can be obtained by booting linux, grabbing the DSDT.dsl and then patching it and compiling it on the MacBook.

In the screens below, remember to DISABLE HT AND REMOVE ALL EXTRA / UNNECESSARY HDDs when installing for the first time

dsc01546u.jpg

dsc01547q.jpg

dsc01548m.jpg

dsc01549b.jpg

dsc01550n.jpg

dsc01551n.jpg

dsc01552w.jpg

dsc01553.jpg

hey harshw, I tried booting without DSDT but I still get stuck at the Apple Ethernet Address. I've disabled my JMicron controller and enabled Plug And Play OS. Booted with -v arch=i386 and cpus=1. I got it to boot once a couple of weeks ago but then Disk Utility beachballed before I could format my NTFS. Now I can't even get to the installer anymore. I know it is possible but I don't know what is holding me back.

Booting with '-s' in addition to '-v' doesnt help either ?

btw do you have the retail Snow Leopard or the Upgrade/Up-To-Date disc ?

actually i haven't been booting with -s. And yes, I do have the retail SL Upgrade Disk. Do you think I should attempt to install leopard first before trying SL?

actually i haven't been booting with -s. And yes, I do have the retail SL Upgrade Disk. Do you think I should attempt to install leopard first before trying SL?

Try with ' -s ' ... this is the single user mode. If you do boot with it, you need to do a ' /sbin/fsck -fy ' to force a filesystem check followed by ' /sbin/mount -uw / ' to mount the SL installer as read / write

If this boots ... you can at least get here to patch the DSDT

If you have the retail Upgrade disc as opposed to the ' Up to Date ' disc then it is fine, it actually doesnt check for 10.5 and will install anywhere.

kungfupanda,

Would you mind posting a picture of your screen when it hangs? I'm curious to see if it's not something else causing the issue that hasn't already been brought to our attention.

Sure. I will post the pictures when i am free tonight. I recall seeing a line before the Apple Ethernet Address that said waiting for boot device with UUID:................... Since I am using harshw's extensions folder, then wouldn't my UUID will be different from harshw's UUID ?

Sure. I will post the pictures when i am free tonight. I recall seeing a line before the Apple Ethernet Address that said waiting for boot device with UUID:................... Since I am using harshw's extensions folder, then wouldn't my UUID will be different from harshw's UUID ?

Yes, it most certainly would. If you're getting that error it would explain why you're stuck at the Ethernet thing.

Go to your MacBook, plugin the Snow Insaller USB, remove PlatformUUID.kext from /Extra/Extensions, put it somewhere else.

BTW: If you can boot Windows, you can grab the DSDT by downloading this http://acpica.org/downloads/binary_tools.php. Extract to a directory. Then on Windows, open a command prompt with elevated priviliges i.e. run CMD.EXE as Administrator and run iasl -g

this will give you the following output

Intel ACPI Component Architecture

ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20090903 [sep 3 2009]

Copyright © 2000 - 2009 Intel Corporation

Supports ACPI Specification Revision 4.0

Table RSDT obtained from registry, 100 bytes

Table [RSDT] written to "RSDT_XSDT1603.dat"

There are 8 tables defined in the XSDT

Table FACP obtained from registry, 244 bytes

Table [FACP] written to "FACP_FACP1603.dat"

Table DSDT obtained from registry, 49946 bytes

Table [DSDT] written to "DSDT_A1279001.dat"

Disassembly of DSDT

Pass 1 parse of [DSDT]

Pass 2 parse of [DSDT]

Parsing Deferred Opcodes (Methods/Buffers/Packages/Regions)

................................................................................

................................................................................

Parsing completed

Disassembly completed, written to "dsdt_A1279001.dsl"

Look at the end for the Disassembly complete, written to <xxx>.dsl

That is your DSDT in DSL format ...

Go to your MacBook, plugin the Snow Insaller USB, remove PlatformUUID.kext from /Extra/Extensions, put it somewhere else.

BTW: If you can boot Windows, you can grab the DSDT by downloading this http://acpica.org/downloads/binary_tools.php. Extract to a directory. Then on Windows, open a command prompt with elevated priviliges i.e. run CMD.EXE as Administrator and run iasl -g

this will give you the following output

Look at the end for the Disassembly complete, written to <xxx>.dsl

That is your DSDT in DSL format ...

Ok. Will remove the kext and report back. Is it really necessary to generate my own DSDT when I can use yours or tweak41's?

Yes, it most certainly would. If you're getting that error it would explain why you're stuck at the Ethernet thing.

Maybe that's the cause of all the problems so far. will remove the kext and report back.

Ok. Will remove the kext and report back. Is it really necessary to generate my own DSDT when I can use yours or tweak41's?

You should at least be able to boot with either of our DSDT files. At least you'd think so. There have been a half dozen other people who've already gone through that guide I posted and installed successfully, so it SHOULD work. I've been experimenting with some other stuff lately and will do an overhaul of the guide once I'm sure things are solid and stable.

So I need to put this in writing somewhere--I'M AN IDIOT.

I figured out why I wasn't able to boot in 64-bit and the solution was unbelievably simple. All this time I've been running a script that automatically compiles a kext cache for me (Extensions.mkext) and I knew that I was compiling for i386, but it never occurred to me to compile my kext cache for 64-bit. Well DUH! I went ahead and compiled x86_64 and voila! It works perfectly. I'm glad I realized it, but wow, what a noob mistake.

You should at least be able to boot with either of our DSDT files. At least you'd think so. There have been a half dozen other people who've already gone through that guide I posted and installed successfully, so it SHOULD work. I've been experimenting with some other stuff lately and will do an overhaul of the guide once I'm sure things are solid and stable.

So I need to put this in writing somewhere--I'M AN IDIOT.

I figured out why I wasn't able to boot in 64-bit and the solution was unbelievably simple. All this time I've been running a script that automatically compiles a kext cache for me (Extensions.mkext) and I knew that I was compiling for i386, but it never occurred to me to compile my kext cache for 64-bit. Well DUH! I went ahead and compiled x86_64 and voila! It works perfectly. I'm glad I realized it, but wow, what a noob mistake.

So you have audio working in 64 bit mode ? Also, mind posting your ACPI_SMC entry in IORegistryExplorer ? Especially the PerformanceStateArray ? Don't use Extensions.mkext. For 3 ~ 7 kexts, the speed increase obtained is minimal at best. Better to just drop the mkext altogether. Also use PC EFI 10v3 because this one has 64bit EFI.

So you have audio working in 64 bit mode ? Also, mind posting your ACPI_SMC entry in IORegistryExplorer ? Especially the PerformanceStateArray ? Don't use Extensions.mkext. For 3 ~ 7 kexts, the speed increase obtained is minimal at best. Better to just drop the mkext altogether. Also use PC EFI 10v3 because this one has 64bit EFI.

I'm hesitant to use PC EFI 10v3 because the GraphicsEnabler option doesn't work with my GTX260. I have to use EFI strings instead which I find slightly annoying.

Anyway I installed the XCode stuff, but can't find the PerformanceStateArray thing you're asking for under ACPI_SMC. Perhaps you could guide me further.

Yes, audio works in 64-bit mode with the kexts I provided you earlier in this thread. :)

Oh yeah harshw, did you try this by any chance in your DSDT? http://www.osx86.es/?p=691

I'm hesitant to use PC EFI 10v3 because the GraphicsEnabler option doesn't work with my GTX260. I have to use EFI strings instead which I find slightly annoying.

Anyway I installed the XCode stuff, but can't find the PerformanceStateArray thing you're asking for under ACPI_SMC. Perhaps you could guide me further.

Yes, audio works in 64-bit mode with the kexts I provided you earlier in this thread. :)

Check out this post in the other thread (post #35 ). I'm trying to get P & C states enabled in OSX. Once that is done, the system will drop the mult and idle at 2000 Mhz when not doing anything. Right now it idles at 3 GHz, thanks to the TRUE120 it stays at 45c, as opposed to 40c that it could be

Doesn't exist for me... -_-

Also, sleep stopped working at some point. Initially I believed it started to work because I switched to your DSDT.aml file. But I switched back to one on my machine and it worked again. Now sleep no longer works and I cannot figure out why. Maybe it's because I boot from a CF card and not from the HD...

post-171873-1254444962_thumb.png

Doesn't exist for me... -_-

Also, sleep stopped working at some point. Initially I believed it started to work because I switched to your DSDT.aml file. But I switched back to one on my machine and it worked again. Now sleep no longer works and I cannot figure out why. Maybe it's because I boot from a CF card and not from the HD...

tweak41: my system doesn't sleep anymore too. The only 2 changes that I think I did before this happening are: 1_ Using GraphicsEnabler=y on PCEfi 10.3 (I was using EFI String). 2_ Added OpenHaltRestart kext to get Shutdown/Reboot working.

tweak41: my system doesn't sleep anymore too. The only 2 changes that I think I did before this happening are: 1_ Using GraphicsEnabler=y on PCEfi 10.3 (I was using EFI String). 2_ Added OpenHaltRestart kext to get Shutdown/Reboot working.

I've been using OpenHaltRestart so that's not it for me. However the EFI thing may be key. I'll try going back to the EFI strings with Chameleon, and then try PC EFI 10v3 too.

UPDATE: No luck with any of those ideas. Just re-did my whole DSDT.aml to see if maybe that was it...Nope. Well I don't know.

Check out this post in the other thread (post #35 ). I'm trying to get P & C states enabled in OSX. Once that is done, the system will drop the mult and idle at 2000 Mhz when not doing anything. Right now it idles at 3 GHz, thanks to the TRUE120 it stays at 45c, as opposed to 40c that it could be

Did you use this: http://www.osx86.es/?p=691

Because when I finally went through and did all that, I got the 10 values in PerformanceStateArray. Prior to that nothing I did made that show up. So the DSDT patch and the kext worked, I guess.

hey guys I removed my PlatformUUID kext but I still get the waiting for boot device with UUID:.......................................... Are there any other kexts that I need to remove?

Please take a picture man. If you would have done it two days ago we may already have the solution. This is absolutely ridiculous that you haven't even booted the installer yet.

harshw: if you go to the forum post, they attached the kext file and the DSDT values that had to be added. There were A LOT. If you changed your Pxx values in your DSDT you'll also want to change those values in the modification. Whether or not it works correctly remains to be seen.

I'm still trying to figure out why sleep doesn't work again. :wacko:

If I get that working this system will be flawless.

EDIT: Looks like my system wouldn't sleep because of a game controller I had left plugged into one of my USB ports. Weird. I wonder if this is what's preventing Windows from sleeping as well...

I got sleep working again by removing OpenHaltRestart, so it's either Reboot/Shutdown or Sleep on my system. :D

You shouldn't have to choose. Is there a newer version out somewhere? Is there a DSDT patch for that?

harshw: Check out the image below. That's A LOT different than the one you posted. Mine is using that patch and kext...

post-171873-1254550332_thumb.png

Please take a picture man. If you would have done it two days ago we may already have the solution. This is absolutely ridiculous that you haven't even booted the installer yet.

harshw: if you go to the forum post, they attached the kext file and the DSDT values that had to be added. There were A LOT. If you changed your Pxx values in your DSDT you'll also want to change those values in the modification. Whether or not it works correctly remains to be seen.

I'm still trying to figure out why sleep doesn't work again. :(

If I get that working this system will be flawless.

EDIT: Looks like my system wouldn't sleep because of a game controller I had left plugged into one of my USB ports. Weird. I wonder if this is what's preventing Windows from sleeping as well...

Sorry about the delay I was quite busy recently. Anyway, here is the image you wanted : http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/2892/img3213.jpg

Sorry about the delay I was quite busy recently. Anyway, here is the image you wanted : http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/2892/img3213.jpg

Hi KFP

It looks like your SL installer USB can't load the boot files from the USB itself. This can be due to a variety of reasons - I once had that problem ages ago on the P5W-DH, solved it by changing my video card (perhaps you have an old Nvidia card lying around somewhere ?). Sometimes it helps to turn USB legacy mode OFF in the BIOS. And to have NOTHING plugged into USB except for keyboard and mouse.

Have you turned off Magic Gate in the bios ? I had problems with this enabled ( it is enabled by default )

If nothing works then you could take the USB out of the picture ... do you have an external USB enclosure or USB SATA dock ? If so, put the HDD ( not the USB ) into the dock, attach to MacBook format as GUID, create two partitions - one main big HFS+ journalled partition and one small (20GB) HFS+ journalled partition

Into the HFS+ journalled partition, restore the Snow Leopard Install DVD, install chameleon pkg and copy the /Extra etc

Attach HDD back to SATA1 and try