Need help installing Snow Leopard on P6T-SE

kungfupanda

87 posts in this topic

Go to the page I linked in the guide, download the BIOS .ROM file. Put this file on a flash drive and then reboot your PC. When it boots you can hit Alt+F2 (for Asus EZ Flash 2). From there you need to navigate to your flash drive, select the ROM file and update. It's pretty painless.

Go to the page I linked in the guide, download the BIOS .ROM file. Put this file on a flash drive and then reboot your PC. When it boots you can hit Alt+F2 (for Asus EZ Flash 2). From there you need to navigate to your flash drive, select the ROM file and update. It's pretty painless.

Should my flash drive be formatted as FAT32 or NTFS?

@harshw: You know that booting with the arch=1386 or -x32 flags means you aren't running 64-bit mode, right? You can see this under the Software section of the System Profiler. It'll say that you're running 64-bit kernel and extensions.

Funnily enough, I do know that. If you read through the post you'll realize that I was telling kungfupanda to boot in 32 bit mode for the SL installer.

Funnily enough, I do know that. If you read through the post you'll realize that I was telling kungfupanda to boot in 32 bit mode for the SL installer.

It seemed as though you were doing the same. No wonder you can't get audio though if you're running 64-bit.

@tweak41: I just tried your guide but it didn't work. :) I get stuck at this point every time:

AppleRTL8169Ethernet:: phyWaitForAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT

Kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X module stop pointer is outside of kext range (stop 0x41b5c053 - kext at 0x4b792000 - 0x4b798000

Kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X can't unload - module stop returned 0xdc008007

I don't know what is preventing me from installing SL on my computer. I have tried for over 2 weeks now but I am still having problems booting to the installer.

It seemed as though you were doing the same. No wonder you can't get audio though if you're running 64-bit.

Yup audio doesn't work in 64 bit sadly. That's the only thing that doesn't work with this motherboard. Else SnowKitty is rock stable. Although when I updated to 10.6.1 and it made my 7800 GTX unstable, but that is a vid card problem. I'm eyeing a cheap passive 9500GT for the 10.6.1 update ...

Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit kernel ?

@tweak41: I just tried your guide but it didn't work. :( I get stuck at this point every time:

AppleRTL8169Ethernet:: phyWaitForAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT

Kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X module stop pointer is outside of kext range (stop 0x41b5c053 - kext at 0x4b792000 - 0x4b798000

Kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X can't unload - module stop returned 0xdc008007

I don't know what is preventing me from installing SL on my computer. I have tried for over 2 weeks now but I am still having problems booting to the installer.

I feel your pain dude. I read the P6T (non deluxe) guide and was wondering how come it was working for others when I couldn't even get past the AppleRTL8169Ethernet::XXX thingy for a week ...

So here's a checklist:

Is Hyperthreading off in the BIOS ?

Is the drive where SL will be installed the first - SATA 1 ?

Have you disabled all other drives ? ( Including DVD ROMs and other HDDs ) by disconnecting cables ?

Are you on BIOS 0503 ? If not downgrade or upgrade to 0503. A different version of BIOS means changes to DSDT.aml ( as does adding PCIe and PCI cards )

Are you booting verbose and 32 bit during the installation process ( -v -x32 -arch=i386 ) ?

What hardware do you have plugged in ? disconnect ANY additional cards you have other than the video card.

I'll post up a zip of my kexts later ...

Yup audio doesn't work in 64 bit sadly. That's the only thing that doesn't work with this motherboard. Else SnowKitty is rock stable. Although when I updated to 10.6.1 and it made my 7800 GTX unstable, but that is a vid card problem. I'm eyeing a cheap passive 9500GT for the 10.6.1 update ...

Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit kernel ?

I feel your pain dude. I read the P6T (non deluxe) guide and was wondering how come it was working for others when I couldn't even get past the AppleRTL8169Ethernet::XXX thingy for a week ...

So here's a checklist:

Is Hyperthreading off in the BIOS ?

Is the drive where SL will be installed the first - SATA 1 ?

Have you disabled all other drives ? ( Including DVD ROMs and other HDDs ) by disconnecting cables ?

Are you on BIOS 0503 ? If not downgrade or upgrade to 0503. A different version of BIOS means changes to DSDT.aml ( as does adding PCIe and PCI cards )

Are you booting verbose and 32 bit during the installation process ( -v -x32 -arch=i386 ) ?

What hardware do you have plugged in ? disconnect ANY additional cards you have other than the video card.

I'll post up a zip of my kexts later ...

Thanks for the reply. Firstly to answer your question:

Hyperthreading is enabled (tweak41's DSDT is patched for HT)

The Drive IS in SATA 1

I disabled my DVD ROM but my Windows HD is in SATA 2

My BIOS is currently 0603 but I will downgrade it to 0504

I am booting with (-v -arch=i386)

I have no additional hardware plugged in.

@harshw: after going through you checklist, I don't get "AppleRTL8169Ethernet:: phyWaitForAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT" anymore but I still get " Kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X module stop pointer is outside of kext range (stop 0x41b5c053 - kext at 0x4b792000 - 0x4b798000

Kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X can't unload - module stop returned 0xdc008007"

@harshw: after going through you checklist, I don't get "AppleRTL8169Ethernet:: phyWaitForAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT" anymore but I still get " Kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X module stop pointer is outside of kext range (stop 0x41b5c053 - kext at 0x4b792000 - 0x4b798000

Kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X can't unload - module stop returned 0xdc008007"

Go to the Extra folder in your SL installer USB. Backup the Extensions folder and then overwrite with the Extensions folder I've attached.

Delete any mkext file in /Extra or Extra/Extensions

Please post what happens

BTW: try both "-v -x32 arch=i386" AND "-v" flags. The last flag will cause the SL Installer to boot into 64 bit mode ( seems to work for some people but usually the 32 bit kernel is the better choice for the installer )

After a successfull installation, go to Disk Utility, go to the OSX boot partition, click Info on upper menu and note down the UUID. It will be as "Universal Unique Identifier : xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx" in the Info pane where the 'x's are HEX numbers. Once you've noted down this string, go to the /Extra/Extensions folder on your SL boot HDD, right click PlatformUUID.kext and say 'Show Package Contents', in Contents folder open Info.plist with DashCode or PropertyList Editor, find the PlatformUUID key ( it is IOKitPersonalities->AddPlatformUUID->PlatformUUID ) and replace with the UUID of your boot device. Do it before you attach any other HDDs back to the SATA channels etc

Extensions.zip

Hey kungfupanda,

You can actually go ahead and delete the DSMOS kext from the folder. I guess the fakesmc kext handles that now, so you don't even need it. Try deleting it and running 2_Boot Prep again. If you're still experiencing issues then I would recommend going into your BIOS, going to the last tab and restoring all your settings back to factory default. From there only change SATA to AHCI and attempt installation again.

@harshw: I can't run 64-bit. Boot hangs infinitely if I don't boot with the arch=i386 flag.

You can actually go ahead and delete the DSMOS kext from the folder. I guess the fakesmc kext handles that now, so you don't even need it.

Yes, ver 2.0 of netkas's fakesmc.kext ( which is included in my Extensions.zip ) means one doesn't need dsmos.kext anymore. But I suspect the hang is probably still the SATA controller ...

Kungfupanda: have you tried waiting a good 15 ~ 30 minutes when it 'hangs' ?

@harshw: I can't run 64-bit. Boot hangs infinitely if I don't boot with the arch=i386 flag.

That's weird ! I can boot both 32 bit and 64 bit. Did you try generating the DSDT.dsl and patching it for IRQs ? Are the kexts you included both 64 bit and 32 bit ?

@harshw: I will try your extensions folder and report back.

@tweak: I will delete DSMOS and try boot prep again if harshw's method fails.

Thanks for your help guys

Kungfupanda: My extensions zip file does not contain dsmos.kext since it contains FakeSMC v2. Hence if you back up & delete your existing /Extra/Extensions folder and unzip mine, you'll have the following structure

/Extra

/Extensions

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

JMicronATAInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

You also need smbios.plist in /Extra. This can be basic and usually doesnt do much. Do you have SMproductname set to MacPro4,1 as in

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro4,1</string>

?

Sometimes the best way to get around most problems is to start from scratch and rely less on scripts etc. What I did for reliable installs was the following:

Disable JMicron SATA controller on the P6T SE

Disable HT ( for the initial install )

Set SATA Mode to AHCI, keep OSX HDD on SATA 1

Format USB stick on MacBook with 10.6 as HFS Journaled. Restore SL Install DVD to USB stick

Install Chameleon RC3 from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184766 and choose the USB stick as the location. This will install Chameleon on the USB stick.

Make /Extra, /Extra/Extensions and /MiscFiles directories on the stick

Copy smbios.plist to /Extra, all the kexts in the Extensions.zip to /Extra/Extensions and DSDT.aml to /

Copy the chameleon installer pkg to /MiscFiles

Copy DSDTPatcher to /MiscFiles/DSDTPatcher ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=55129 )

Eject USB stick and boot with it on the PC. Choose "-v arch=i386" and keep a track of what scrolls by on the screen. You should see text such as ' DSMOS has arrived ' etc. This means fakesmc.kext is working well and your OSX installer will boot. If not, there are problems with your kexts in /Extra/Extensions. You can also try the following flags in addition to the ones above " cpus=1 " and " busratio=xx " where xx is your CPU multiplier ( if you have an i920 then this is 20 )

If it appears to hang at the Ethernet driver etc, be patient and give it 15 ~ 20 minutes. It will eventually load the GUI. If the GUI beachballs at DiskUtility or does not show your SATA drives as valid locations for your installer, then you have a SATA problem. I was stuck at this point for some time and eventually had to patch the DSDT. Perhaps some P6T SE boards just don't like SL.

If it does boot and load the GUI then install as normal and reboot. When you reboot, keep the USB stick in the PC and it will reboot from the USB stick and go to the Chameleon boot screen. Choose your newly installed OSX drive as the one to boot from.

Once the introductory video has finished playing and you've configured your SL installation, go back to the USB drive, install Chameleon from the pkg in /MiscFiles and choose your newly installed SL OSX drive as the location to install to.

Copy the /Extra folder to the SL OSX HDD, also copy DSDT.aml to the root of the SL OSX HDD

Eject the USB stick, remove and reboot - you should be back into OSX from the HDD

If you can't boot the installer USB and you need to generate or patch the DSDT, I'll explain that if needed in another post. I suggest you start by reading threads and familiarize yourself with terms such as DSDT, IRQs, boot loaders etc. Scripts are great when they do work, but in my experience, especially with hackintoshes, scripts work maybe 75% of the time. I followed every freakin guide for SL install and got nowhere. Ultimately, I had to generate and patch the DSDT on my own machine to get it to boot reliably. So there's no way out at times except for some late night reading :) Once you understand what it is that you're doing, things are MUCH easier.

DSDT_Patch_Guide.zip

Chameleon_2_RC3.zip

smbios.zip

Kungfupanda: My extensions zip file does not contain dsmos.kext since it contains FakeSMC v2. Hence if you back up & delete your existing /Extra/Extensions folder and unzip mine, you'll have the following structure

/Extra

/Extensions

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

JMicronATAInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

You also need smbios.plist in /Extra. This can be basic and usually doesnt do much. Do you have SMproductname set to MacPro4,1 as in

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro4,1</string>

?

Sometimes the best way to get around most problems is to start from scratch and rely less on scripts etc. What I did for reliable installs was the following:

Disable JMicron SATA controller on the P6T SE

Disable HT ( for the initial install )

Set SATA Mode to AHCI, keep OSX HDD on SATA 1

Format USB stick on MacBook with 10.6 as HFS Journaled. Restore SL Install DVD to USB stick

Install Chameleon RC3 from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184766 and choose the USB stick as the location. This will install Chameleon on the USB stick.

Make /Extra, /Extra/Extensions and /MiscFiles directories on the stick

Copy smbios.plist to /Extra, all the kexts in the Extensions.zip to /Extra/Extensions and DSDT.aml to /

Copy the chameleon installer pkg to /MiscFiles

Copy DSDTPatcher to /MiscFiles/DSDTPatcher ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=55129 )

Eject USB stick and boot with it on the PC. Choose "-v arch=i386" and keep a track of what scrolls by on the screen. You should see text such as ' DSMOS has arrived ' etc. This means fakesmc.kext is working well and your OSX installer will boot. If not, there are problems with your kexts in /Extra/Extensions. You can also try the following flags in addition to the ones above " cpus=1 " and " busratio=xx " where xx is your CPU multiplier ( if you have an i920 then this is 20 )

If it appears to hang at the Ethernet driver etc, be patient and give it 15 ~ 20 minutes. It will eventually load the GUI. If the GUI beachballs at DiskUtility or does not show your SATA drives as valid locations for your installer, then you have a SATA problem. I was stuck at this point for some time and eventually had to patch the DSDT. Perhaps some P6T SE boards just don't like SL.

If it does boot and load the GUI then install as normal and reboot. When you reboot, keep the USB stick in the PC and it will reboot from the USB stick and go to the Chameleon boot screen. Choose your newly installed OSX drive as the one to boot from.

Once the introductory video has finished playing and you've configured your SL installation, go back to the USB drive, install Chameleon from the pkg in /MiscFiles and choose your newly installed SL OSX drive as the location to install to.

Copy the /Extra folder to the SL OSX HDD, also copy DSDT.aml to the root of the SL OSX HDD

Eject the USB stick, remove and reboot - you should be back into OSX from the HDD

If you can't boot the installer USB and you need to generate or patch the DSDT, I'll explain that if needed in another post. I suggest you start by reading threads and familiarize yourself with terms such as DSDT, IRQs, boot loaders etc. Scripts are great when they do work, but in my experience, especially with hackintoshes, scripts work maybe 75% of the time. I followed every freakin guide for SL install and got nowhere. Ultimately, I had to generate and patch the DSDT on my own machine to get it to boot reliably. So there's no way out at times except for some late night reading ;) Once you understand what it is that you're doing, things are MUCH easier.

Thanks for your advice harshw. Will give your extensions folder a try after this post. I do get DSMOS has arrived in the boot screen and I get past the Apple Ethernet hang but I get stuck at the don't steal Mac OS X problem now. How can i generate my DSDT if I can't even get SL to run on my PC? My Mac Pro Model is 3,1 or 2,1 I think but i will change it to 4,1. Why do you need to do this.

Will report back soon

EDIT: After trying your extensions folder, I don't get Dont Steal Mac OS X anymore but I got stuck at the Apple Ethernet Address again. I left it for one hour but nothing else happened. Booted with -v and arch=i386. Any ideas? It seems that I am the only one who simply can't install SL on the P6T-Se and it is really getting on my nerves now.

Thanks for your advice harshw. Will give your extensions folder a try after this post. I do get DSMOS has arrived in the boot screen and I get past the Apple Ethernet hang but I get stuck at the don't steal Mac OS X problem now. How can i generate my DSDT if I can't even get SL to run on my PC? My Mac Pro Model is 3,1 or 2,1 I think but i will change it to 4,1. Why do you need to do this.

Will report back soon

EDIT: After trying your extensions folder, I don't get Dont Steal Mac OS X anymore but I got stuck at the Apple Ethernet Address again. I left it for one hour but nothing else happened. Booted with -v and arch=i386. Any ideas? It seems that I am the only one who simply can't install SL on the P6T-Se and it is really getting on my nerves now.

For some reason the SE is extremelyquirky. I almost gave up, considering that a retail copy of SL boots with just the Chameleon bootloader and nothing else on my P5E-VM

Okays, downgrade to 0503 BIOS. Use the SMBIOS.plist & DSDT.aml posted above. Try with "cpus=1" in boot command line, along with -v etc. And make sure you have Plug And Play OS set to [YES] in the P6T SE BIOS. Have you disabled the JMicron SATA controller ?

Some other things to try:

Try booting without the DSDT.aml, just rename it temporarily & watch for error messages on the boot screen

Try booting with the HDD set to IDE. If it works then it is definitely a SATA problem

Hope you are booting with just ONE HDD - remove cables for others

Also the DSDT can be obtained by booting linux, grabbing the DSDT.dsl and then patching it and compiling it on the MacBook.

In the screens below, remember to DISABLE HT AND REMOVE ALL EXTRA / UNNECESSARY HDDs when installing for the first time

dsc01546u.jpg

dsc01547q.jpg

dsc01548m.jpg

dsc01549b.jpg

dsc01550n.jpg

dsc01551n.jpg

dsc01552w.jpg

dsc01553.jpg

Hey harshw:

I don't know my ass from my head when it comes to DSDT patching, so I may have to spend a few hours figuring it out. I tried your kexts and still couldn't boot 64-bit though.

As far as kungfupanda's problems are concerned, this is just plain weird. I've never had to wait more than a minute for either the SL installer or SL to boot. Why you're getting stuck is beyond me.

kungfupanda, did you try resetting all your BIOS settings?

Hey harshw:

I don't know my ass from my head when it comes to DSDT patching, so I may have to spend a few hours figuring it out. I tried your kexts and still couldn't boot 64-bit though.

Care to try with the DSDT.aml I posted ? Does it still hang ?

Care to try with the DSDT.aml I posted ? Does it still hang ?

I've been using your DSDT.aml. I know it fixed sleep because it didn't work before I used yours. But unfortunately 64-bit is a no go. I'll look into properly patching my own generated DSDT file and see if that fixes it.

Also, I've never had to patch for the UUID thing. Is there any reason that would help the 64-bit issue? I'm also using a different kext for that too...

OH! Also, when using your kexts last night, the boot hangs now. It's definitely due to the JMicron kext (or lack thereof).

I've been using your DSDT.aml. I know it fixed sleep because it didn't work before I used yours. But unfortunately 64-bit is a no go. I'll look into properly patching my own generated DSDT file and see if that fixes it.

Also, I've never had to patch for the UUID thing. Is there any reason that would help the 64-bit issue? I'm also using a different kext for that too...

OH! Also, when using your kexts last night, the boot hangs now. It's definitely due to the JMicron kext (or lack thereof).

The UUID is there to take care of those " UUID Host " errors in the log. I don't use the JMicron controller so never had the kext. Are your drives attached to the JMicron ? I downloaded Temperature Monitor and thanks to DSDT, the CPU does speedstep, idles at 43c and does full-load at 70c. Sleep is fine and I get full speed from SATA disks + SATA DVD-ROM. Before the DSDT, the SATA disks were either not getting detected ( so couldn't even boot SL installer ) or couldn't even burn a DVD ... it beachballed constantly.

My DVD burner is attached to the JMicron controller. It's weird you experienced those SATA issues. I didn't have that problem. Do you have a good resource handy that explains more on the DSDT thing? I haven't found anything that really does a good job explaining its purpose and what things can be patched. Also, what do you use for cooling? I noticed you have a nice overclock going. I don't want to push mine too hard because I've only got the stock cooler.

UPDATE: Hey harshw--try the attached kexts and see if you can get audio working in 64-bit. I think it'll work. :trumpet:

Sound.zip